Should we add a fullback to help the running game?

Happy Clouds

We obviously have problems everywhere with this team. One of the biggest disappointments has been the disappearance of the running game.

Our offensive line has been unable to create any holes or forward push. Last year we had a punishing back in Chris Ivory, who was able to break many tackles and gain additional yards.

We also had Tommy Bohanon as a fullback. I know he didn't get many snaps per game, but he was still useful in short yardage situations. This year we constantly go empty backfield, even in 3rd and 1 or 2.

Forte and Powell are more finesse runners and might benefit from an extra blocker. Thoughts?

Just use Sheldon... I mean, Bowles already has him just running full speed into the line from his role as a linebacker. He can do the same thing as a fullback. 

I was hoping that wouldn't come up. Bowles calls him his "hybrid" player. Think they did use Richardson a few times in that role near goal line a few years ago. Wouldn't put it past Bowles to try it again.
Sheldon wins defensive rookie of the year a few years ago as a down lineman, now we play him everywhere but where he is best.

A QB who can't throw and a O-Line that can't block and you cut the FB? I don't get this move at all. I believe we cut the FB after week 1 and the run game has been going downhill ever since. Cut one of those useless TEs and lets restart our run game 

If there is a high impact running back available in the first round of the 2017 draft, I wouldn't be upset if we take him.  But I honestly think right now

that establishing the passing game will help more than anything in making Forte effective. No way he should be this bad. Our OL was doing a decent job

the first few games as well, but it soiled the bed last night.  If Macc thought it would make a difference we would probably have already signed a FB by now.

When we think back to the preseason, I think we all agreed that the young WR talent on this team showed promise and we cheered for Macagnan because his evaluations as undrafted rookie FA's gave us something to look forward to beyond Marshall and Decker.  To do that, we kept all of the receivers so we don't lose them and based on their play they deserved a roster spot.  I agreed with this move.

The other spot was at the QB position.  Keeping 4 QB's clearly limits us from adding other positions that can contribute on Sunday while 2 QBs stand on the sideline in cheerleader gear.  Again, a move I didn't disagree with if we were not getting rid of Geno Smith.

Which brings me to my point, if we have so much depth at those 2 positions and they are not contributing, it takes away from adding a FB or TE that would also be useful in pass protection and the run game.  When you look at the QB's throwing down the field, they have an extra blocker in the backfield protecting the QB (This contributes to our lack of pass rush and QB Pressure from our defense).  When we run out there with 5 wr's we are relying on our suspect O-line to match up and block their opponent which they are losing and Fitz does not have the time to throw.  Yes our running game has also suffered since cutting the FB position.

Macagnan has some work to do.

I think or run game is more of an ol problem or a coaching problem. Forte is struggling a bit but we aren't running the ball as often as we should and part of that is that we are frequently playing from behind and the other part is that the oline is simply not opening holes for the rbs. We rushed our backs a total of 12 times against the cardinals it was something like 9 to forte 3 to Powell...how many rbs are going to have big games consistantly on 9 carries.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived