Marshall "Geno Really punched adversity in the face"

j4jets

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Maccagnan doesn't determine who's 2nd/3rd string. If Bowles wanted to play Petty over Geno he would.

mccags will protect his qbs, i think he has a say.  and i don't think it has anything to do with the optics of making geno the next fredo.  i think they know petty hasn't really practiced since august basically and they want to coach him up and get him ready so he has the best chance to succeed.  mccags seems adamant not to rush these qbs.  and truth, it doesn't matter if petty plays this week or in a month, the real losers are the fans who have to continue to watch this crap.  

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

mccags will protect his qbs, i think he has a say.  and i don't think it has anything to do with the optics of making geno the next fredo.  i think they know petty hasn't really practiced since august basically and they want to coach him up and get him ready so he has the best chance to succeed.  mccags seems adamant not to rush these qbs.  and truth, it doesn't matter if petty plays this week or in a month, the real losers are the fans who have to continue to watch this crap.  

If you say so. I don't think Maccagnan is overruling anyone on who starts, between Geno and Petty,  this Sunday.

And it can absolutely matter if Petty plays this week or in a month, because a 6 game audition may not be enough to form enough of an opinion on him to act appropriately in the offseason. He could be good, but didn't have time to settle down; he could be bad, but had some good statistical games.

In the end, time is the equalizer. Unless Petty is a terrible QB and plays like a terrible QB, after only 6 games question marks will remain as to how much he can be relied upon when FA and the draft come around in his 3rd season. He needs as many starts as possible before that IMO.

If he's too injured, that's one thing. If they're wrapping him in bubble wrap, they're a bunch of pu****s. This is as long of a no-pressure situation as Petty is likely to get. The team can piss away 10 games and, as long as we got to see what he can do (whether good or bad), most people will shrug their shoulders because we were already 1-5 and there was no real opportunity lost.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If you say so. I don't think Maccagnan is overruling anyone on who starts, between Geno and Petty,  this Sunday.

And it can absolutely matter if Petty plays this week or in a month, because a 6 game audition may not be enough to form enough of an opinion on him to act appropriately in the offseason. He could be good, but didn't have time to settle down; he could be bad, but had some good statistical games.

In the end, time is the equalizer. Unless Petty is a terrible QB and plays like a terrible QB, after only 6 games question marks will remain as to how much he can be relied upon when FA and the draft come around in his 3rd season. He needs as many starts as possible before that IMO.

If he's too injured, that's one thing. If they're wrapping him in bubble wrap, they're a bunch of pu****s. This is as long of a no-pressure situation as Petty is likely to get. The team can piss away 10 games and, as long as we got to see what he can do (whether good or bad), most people will shrug their shoulders because we were already 1-5 and there was no real opportunity lost.

he's taken no meaningful reps since training camp.  as much as i want to see him play it is foolish to start him this sunday.  who knows if his arm is even 100%.

42 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No doubt, but what I was saying had nothing to do with this year's roster. Maccagnan doesn't determine who's 2nd/3rd string. If Bowles wanted to play Petty over Geno he would. If he was hell-bent on never playing Geno, then Maccagnan wouldn't re-sign him in the offseason,.

Next year's roster I'm pretty sure they're both on the same page with regards to which of the 4 is returning and which isn't (and we've likely all guessed correctly ourselves). Also if Bowles really wants someone, it appears Maccagnan - while not necessarily deferring to Bowles - has almost certainly been obliging his HC (Lee, Cromartie, probably Skrine &/or Gilchrist, keeping Sheldon for starters). 

I think it's a combination of all of the following:

• he has to bench Fitz because he already got crucified for leaving him in as long as he has
  • he believes Petty will be a more likely loss than Geno, at least if he's put in right now, and he has understandable concerns about his own cumulative W/L record as a HC now that 2015's love-fest is over.
  • he may be worried about the optics of skipping over Geno, and going straight to Petty, when he finally benches Fitzpatrick
  • Petty may simply not be ready to insert this week and, again, he feels he can no longer delay benching Fitz long enough to wait.

That is what I took from the "Petty has only just started practicing this week and is not ready YET" comment.  Why bother even saying it if Geno was the automatic next man up?

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

he's taken no meaningful reps since training camp.  as much as i want to see him play it is foolish to start him this sunday.  who knows if his arm is even 100%.

I should have included that as well when I said "if he's too injured" but it should be understood (and I've posted it a few times this past week anyway) that also goes for if he's too rusty after his return. 

His arm ought to be good enough. I think that's why they kept him out longer than the initial estimate, but it's just a guess on my part. He was supposedly throwing before they activated him; just wasn't taking reps with the team on the field. 

Just now, EM31 said:

That is what I took from the "Petty has only just started practicing this week and is not ready YET" comment.  Why bother even saying it if Geno was the automatic next man up?

what he can't say is that he and mccags didn't think fitz would suck this bad and petty would be hurt by the time they wanted to make a qb change.  this combo of circumstances produced this result.  

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

Plus when Bowles was asked about using Petty - before he'd made the announcement that Geno was starting - I think he said something like everything has its process. I took that to mean he won't go from QB1 to QB3 without QB2 getting time in there.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Plus when Bowles was asked about using Petty - before he'd made the announcement that Geno was starting - I think he said something like everything has its process. I took that to mean he won't go from QB1 to QB3 without QB2 getting time in there.

it's frustrating that the season is over and we have to wait to see petty and we have to wait even longer to see hack most likely.  the good news is that fitz is done here, geno will be done here in a week or two and we're getting a great draft pick, to be used on a cornerback.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

LOL or until after the Ravens+n at least.

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it's frustrating that the season is over and we have to wait to see petty and we have to wait even longer to see hack most likely.  the good news is that fitz is done here, geno will be done here in a week or two and we're getting a great draft pick, to be used on a cornerback.

No doubt. My concern with making this switch is this isn't exactly the hard part of the schedule. I can see Geno having a couple of strong outings, and then how is Bowles going to bench him? Bring in Tanya Harding's ex-boo?

12 minutes ago, EM31 said:

LOL or until after the Ravens+n at least.

I said above. I think a gutless HC like Bowles waits until the bye. Meanwhile in Denver they went into the season with a QB drafted the equivalent of 4 rounds after Petty, plus a rookie project. And they did so despite having a decidedly more SB-caliber team than the Jets had. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No doubt. My concern with making this switch is this isn't exactly the hard part of the schedule. I can see Geno having a couple of strong outings, and then how is Bowles going to bench him? Bring in Tanya Harding's ex-boo?

odds are geno will play like he always does, though i'm wondering if he will be able to find anderson/peake/jalin deep since they were getting open.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

odds are geno will play like he always does, though i'm wondering if he will be able to find anderson/peake/jalin deep since they were getting open.  

Guys were wide open all over the place every game. Very aggravating. 

In some ways he's the exact opposite of Fitzpatrick. Fitz gets rid of it too soon without scanning the field, even if his man is blanketed, and Geno doesn't get rid of it fast enough (obviously unless his first read is open right away), and seems oblivious to the other team trying to get to him in the pocket.  

Guys were wide open all over the place every game. Very aggravating. 

In some ways he's the exact opposite of Fitzpatrick. Fitz gets rid of it too soon without scanning the field, even if his man is blanketed, and Geno doesn't get rid of it fast enough (obviously unless his first read is open right away), and seems oblivious to the other team trying to get to him in the pocket.  

the oblivious part leads to fumbles, he fumbles a lot.  if the o-line can protect him, you have to figure he's going to want to show off his arm and throw it deep more than a few times.  

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is exactly what is going to happen, it will be like last year with Fitzpatrick. Geno won't even have to play good, if he does not completely suck, and the rest of the team just somewhat gets their act together, the team is going to win a lot of games based on their very soft schedule alone. We will not see Petty, and we will be held hostage by Geno next year instead of Fitzpatrick.

2 minutes ago, Cap'nObvious said:

This is exactly what is going to happen, it will be like last year with Fitzpatrick. Geno won't even have to play good, if he does not completely suck, and the rest of the team just somewhat gets their act together, the team is going to win a lot of games based on their very soft schedule alone. We will not see Petty, and we will be held hostage by Geno next year instead of Fitzpatrick.

I am going to hope this CS and FO learned something from last year and if Geno is merely "serviceable" they have enough sense not to resign him and let Petty and Hack battle it out along with vet and or perhaps another pick. 

Just now, Cap'nObvious said:

You can be sure that will not happen. Of all the things Woody Johnson does, even to the detriment of his team, it's insist that he has a QB popular with the fans. Geno is anything but this. Given this, if Smith does well enough that even the Jets would be willing to re-sign him despite how unpopular he is, it means there would be some demand for his services elsewhere and he'll take one of those opportunities. JMO.

Just now, JetBlue said:

I am going to hope this CS and FO learned something from last year and if Geno is merely "serviceable" they have enough sense not to resign him and let Petty and Hack battle it out along with vet and or perhaps another pick. 

I hope so too, but I think its even more likely with Geno than Fitzpatrick for two reasons, one, Geno has a much stronger arm and throws a nice ball, and two, Geno is much younger, and they can convince themselves that he "got it". WIth Fitzpatrick, I don't think they were fooled as much as they hated the other options they had considering they thought if everything broke well, they could make the playoffs. If they were fooled, I think they would have locked him up for 3 years easily.

6 minutes ago, Cap'nObvious said:

Trolling4.png

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You can be sure that will not happen. Of all the things Woody Johnson does, even to the detriment of his team, it's insist that he has a QB popular with the fans. Geno is anything but this. Given this, if Smith does well enough that even the Jets would be willing to re-sign him despite how unpopular he is, it means there would be some demand for his services elsewhere and he'll take one of those opportunities. JMO.

If Geno finishes 7-3, he is going to gain a hell of a lot of popularity among a fan based starved for a QB. Much the same as Fitzpatrick did last year.

Just now, Cap'nObvious said:

If Geno finishes 7-3, he is going to gain a hell of a lot of popularity among a fan based starved for a QB. Much the same as Fitzpatrick did last year.

Not necessarily. With him it will depend upon individual performance, not just the team's performance. And again, in that case he'll be better off shopping himself around first.

Not necessarily. With him it will depend upon individual performance, not just the team's performance. And again, in that case he'll be better off shopping himself around first.

geno is a free agent soon and there's no way he wants to stay here.  the fans hate, hate him, his teammates probably can't stand him and he knows that even if he plays well and returns the other 2 qbs will get preferential treatment.  he's playing for himself right now, to maybe salvage his career and audition to compete for a backup job next season somewhere else.

4 minutes ago, Cap'nObvious said:

For the sake of argument, suppose he really does play well and is instrumental in leading the team to victories; do you feel it would be fools gold?   I mean could it be that maybe he really has turned a corner in his career? I realize the consensus is that he is what he is and will never improve enough to make a difference;  these next few weeks he has a real opportunity to change some minds and not just in NY but among other teams.  

I hope your right, but I read a lot of people who are clamoring to say they were right about Geno, and a lot of people calling up WFAN about how he never had a fair chance, and he played great the last 4 games of 14, and went 8-8 as a rookie on a horrible team. I think there are a lot more people who like Geno a lot than you think. But either way, I hope Geno is judged fairly on his play,if he plays fantastic football, even against bad competition, then props to him, and if the team wins in spite of him, than I hope he is also judged fairly.

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

For the sake of argument, suppose he really does play well and is instrumental in leading the team to victories; do you feel it would be fools gold?   I mean could it be that maybe he really has turned a corner in his career? I realize the consensus is that he is what he is and will never improve enough to make a difference;  these next few weeks he has a real opportunity to change some minds and not just in NY but among other teams.  

If Geno plays really well, and the team is winning because of him, not in spite of him, I would absolutely give him the benefit of the doubt that he has turned a corner. But I would like to see a couple of things, one, consistency, two maturity, three at least decent play against good teams like the Patriots. If I see those things, I will be on the Geno bandwagon myself, but in all honestly, I would want to tag him and make him do it again rather than sign him to a long term deal. He does it again next year, Lock him up!

Archived