Great summary of Geno Smith from NYDN

Freemanm

I forgot about the dick pick and the getting kicked off the airplane...this guy is a total douche.  He could end up being a decetn upgrade (probably not) but his douchiness is indisputable.  I'm glad Fitz's Jets career is done but we're literally in a no win situation by starting Geno.

---He plays well and we don't keep him because he's too costly

----he plays well and we keep him but we know his teammates hate him because he's a douche (and he probaly can't sustain good play)

---he plays crappy and we keep playing him wasting invaluable reps Petty and Hack could've had for their development and our evaluation

No matter what happens this weekend we lose.  SOJF, nope - this is really the way it is.

Best thing that can happen is Geno bombs this weekend so we can see the young(er) guys.

Just now, David Harris said:

I forgot about the dick pick and the getting kicked off the airplane...this guy is a total douche.  He could end up being a decetn upgrade (probably not) but his douchiness is indisputable.  I'm glad Fitz's Jets career is done but we're literally in a no win situation by starting Geno.

----he plays well and we keep him but we know his teammates hate him because he's a douche (and he probaly can't sustain good play)

---he plays crappy and we keep playing him wasting invaluable reps Petty and Hack could've had for their development and our evaluation

No matter what happens this weekend we lose.  SOJF, nope - this is really the way it is.

Best thing that can happen is Geno bombs this weekend so we can see the young(er) guys.

The only reason for Geno being on the roster was in the event that Ryan Fitzpatrick got hurt while we were in the midst of a playoff run. In that scenario, you wouldn't want to hand the keys to two players (Petty & Hack) that had never taken a live snap in a regular season game. With the playoffs out of the picture, having Geno on the roster serves absolutely no purpose.

Just cut him already, let Petty play, and free up a roster spot for a young player to develop who is in your plans for 2017 and beyond.

18 minutes ago, David Harris said:

13 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The only reason for Geno being on the roster was in the event that Ryan Fitzpatrick got hurt while we were in the midst of a playoff run. In that scenario, you wouldn't want to hand the keys to two players (Petty & Hack) that had never taken a live snap in a regular season game. With the playoffs out of the picture, having Geno on the roster serves absolutely no purpose.

Just cut him already, let Petty play, and free up a roster spot for a young player to develop who is in your plans for 2017 and beyond.

Kellen Clemens was 2nd round mildew that you sprayed a little Fantastik on, let it settle for 10 seconds and you quickly wiped the surface clean. Physically & bilogically similar to the Browning Nagle strain. Geno is the same 2nd round mildew but a stronger strain, and the Fantastik used to clean it up is too watered down (Fitz), thus why it keeps re-appearing to wreak havoc on your grout.

Hackenberg is 2nd round mildew that grows in that insignifcant, unseen corner of the bathroom you weren't too keen on cleaning, anyway.

16 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Exactly. Dead on accurate, Geno was Fitz insurance in case we were in the hunt. 2016 is a lost cause, there is no utility in giving Geno Smith reps.  Even if he played well we can't feasibly trade him.

5 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

Kellen Clemens was 2nd round mildew that you sprayed a little Fantastik on, let it settle for 10 seconds and you quickly wiped the surface clean. Physically & bilogically similar to the Browning Nagle strain. Geno is the same 2nd round mildew but a stronger strain, and the Fantastik used to clean it up is too watered down (Fitz), thus why it keeps re-appearing to wreak havoc on your grout.

Hackenberg is 2nd round mildew that grows in that insignifcant, unseen corner of the bathroom you weren't too keen on cleaning, anyway.

I really need to check my kitchen cabinets.

3 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Obviously that wasn't the case.

He did have some good moments, still can't believe Vick just stole money, I thought he would have at least read the playbook, pathetic season

also funny how Geno being named the started this week is in the lowlights section of the article - foreshadow?

1-3 weeks until Petty and then the draft - entertainment...

The worst thing that happened was Petty getting hurt. 

They had to go to Geno because Petty needs work & practice. He hadn't thrown a ball for weeks.

Drives me crazy that Geno, after all of his douche antics gets to use these few games to audition himself for other teams in the league. Geno playing has absolutely zero benefit to the future of the NY Jets. Zero! 

Every single game he starts is a complete & utter waste of time for our future QB position. No matter what happens we will not resign him in the offseason. So here we are as Jet fans secretly cheering for our Jets to fail to get to Petty. 

Say what you will about Macc but this is the reason he kept 4 QBs. He knew there was chance Fitz would fail with our opening schedule. Then Petty got hurt which forced his hand (no way you could cut Geno & go right to Hack). You can see now what the plan was. Worst case scenario is that Geno goes on a winning streak. It's always confusing being a Jet fan.

10 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

My guess is they simply don't view Petty as starting QB potential.  They kept him on the roster because he can be a cheap backup next year - but it's really hard to know as I'm not totally convinced they know what they're doing.

10 hours ago, glenn31 said:

Off topic... LOVE your sig.  Have seen RUSH at least 10 times and have been back stage in the VIP room with Geddy and Alex.  

10 hours ago, glenn31 said:

So your saying if we clean behind the toilet, smith will go away and we'll get to see Petty?   Man it's nasty back there, but i'll take this one for the team

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Why would he come back?  He would have some value, and lets face it, he hasn't had fun in NY

Look around the league, where else is he going to get an opportunity to start? Unless he signs with a team with a vet QB like the Saints and is willing to wait a year or two he won't be an immediate starter. His best bet is to prove to the Jets that he can be the guy. Jets fans don't want to hear that though. They just want him gone. 

15 minutes ago, flgreen said:

So your saying if we clean behind the toilet, smith will go away and we'll get to see Petty?   Man it's nasty back there, but i'll take this one for the team

More or less this. Plus I'm saying let's lay off these 2nd round QB reaches for a while. A long while. I'll do the research later, but has a franchise QB been picked in the 2nd round in the past 25-30 years? Seems like the most successful one in that span has been Andy Dalton, and it's debatable whether he's a true franchise QB or not. You probably have to go back to 1984 with Boomer Esiason for the best answer, 32 freakin' drafts ago.

Edit: Forgot about Favre in 1991

3 minutes ago, August said:

Look around the league, where else is he going to get an opportunity to start? Unless he signs with a team with a vet QB like the Saints and is willing to wait a year or two he won't be an immediate starter. His best bet is to prove to the Jets that he can be the guy. Jets fans don't want to hear that though. They just want him gone. 

Ah c'mon, look at the big contracts that young QB's get who have just shown flashes over the years.  Teams are always willing to pay big money for a potential starter.

Many, many fans,and more importantly beat writers, really dislike this guy and will be waiting for him to screw up. (He will)  NY is not a good place to be a total douche unless you are a super star.  smith's not.

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Obviously that wasn't the case.

Look at how the narrative changes.  Aghast at a dick pic and a plane incident but a hero to many of them was a womanizing alcoholic who used to show up for practice still drunk and tried to kiss a sideline reporter during a national game.

Lets calm down with the righteous indignation a bit shall we? 

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Look at how the narrative changes.  Aghast at a dick pic and a plane incident but a hero to many of them was a womanizing alcoholic who used to show up for practice still drunk and tried to kiss a sideline reporter during a national game.

Totally valid comparison. 

10 hours ago, David Harris said:

Exactly. Dead on accurate, Geno was Fitz insurance in case we were in the hunt. 2016 is a lost cause, there is no utility in giving Geno Smith reps.  Even if he played well we can't feasibly trade him.

Woody demanded a change - and Petty isn't ready...

That's the bottom line...

I think it's admirable that Jet Nation has decided to do outreach to this minority community, devoting a whole thread to guys to who want to post about the best way to clean mold, mildew, and the necessity of getting behind the toilet often.  We are not only the best Jets message board, we are by far the most diverse Jets message board, as this thread indicates.

Next up:  A thread of how to remove nasty stains from the underwear of you and the people you do the wash for.

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

I gotta be honest Pac, I have to shrug my shoulders on that one bro. No way in the world us Jets fans would be a fan of a person with that type of background yet be completely repulsed by Geno Smith. 

joe-namath-suzy-kolber-o.gif

:lol:

11 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

This is exactly another reason why Mac is over his freakin head. This is a mindless move.  Fine, start the douchbag. He probably wins a couple games within the next 6.  It serves no purpose whatsoever.  Better to get Petty and Hack some game time experience. Geno will NOT be resigned next year nor will Fitz unless he accepts a really low salary as a 3rd string mentor. 

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

My guess is they simply don't view Petty as starting QB potential.  They kept him on the roster because he can be a cheap backup next year - but it's really hard to know as I'm not totally convinced they know what they're doing.

This is a very real possibility that I think Jets fans are blinded to.  We all want to believe Petty's the answer and I do think he eventually will get his shot this year but maybe the truth is the team doesn't view as much more than a solid backup QB and wanted to give Geno one last shot before he walks out the door.  It's pretty obvious from Macc reaching on Hack in the 2nd round and talks about him trying to move up for Wentz or Goff that the Jets didn't think all that highly of Petty going into the season.  And yes, the preseason was promising but that was a very small sample size.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

He was NEVER the #2 even before the injury. 

You're simply trying to discredit. Thats the bottomline. 

whoa..I've been nothing but a Geno supporter.  I'm happy it's Geno - I want to see him play...but what I think and the team thinks are two different things.  Managements actions point to what most people are saying here.  They don't like Geno and will be moving on from him after this season - they see Petty/Hack as the future potential on the roster.  

12 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

I think it's admirable that Jet Nation has decided to do outreach to this minority community, devoting a whole thread to guys to who want to post about the best way to clean mold, mildew, and the necessity of getting behind the toilet often.  We are not only the best Jets message board, we are by far the most diverse Jets message board, as this thread indicates.

Next up:  A thread of how to remove nasty stains from the underwear of you and the people you do the wash for.

Are those emanations I'm sensing the wafting stench of passive aggression? Care to explain how my metaphor is inaccurate about the absolutely horrible QBs the Jets have a history of taking in the 2nd round? A round that historically produces nothing at QB yet we keep dipping our hands into while praying for a miracle to occur? 

12 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Totally valid comparison. 

The league is filled with egomaniacs and meatheads alike.  If you want to act like Geno sending a d-pic to some skank offends your gentle sensibilities then you have that right.  Just like I have the right to think it's hypocritical nonsense.

9 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

Care to explain how my metaphor is inaccurate about the absolutely horrible QBs the Jets have a history of taking in the 2nd round?

The metaphor was badly done, it recalls TV commercials where the Mom was implored to get the bathroom clean, clean clean.  Overall, the negative tone is overwhelming in the whole thread.  True, this is turning into a bad season, but at least we might get to see our team play better football and right now, nobody else is ready.  Geno has his faults, this is his last shot to show that he's a starting quality QB, and he's got maybe two or three games to do it before they go to one of the younger guys.  So it's worth watching, unless you are so sure that there is NO chance with Geno at all, in any situation. 

Archived