Great summary of Geno Smith from NYDN

Freemanm

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

The league is filled with egomaniacs and meatheads alike.  If you want to act like Geno sending a d-pic to some skank offends your gentle sensibilities then you have that right.  Just like I have the right to think it's hypocritical nonsense.

You are the one who chose to compare Geno Smith with a hall of fame quarterback, not a random meathead.

Just now, kelticwizard said:

The metaphor was badly done, it recalls TV commercials where the Mom was implored to get the bathroom clean, clean clean.  Overall, the negative tone is overwhelming in the whole thread.  True, this is turning into a bad season, but at least we might get to see our team play better football and right now, nobody else is ready.  Geno has his faults, this is his last shot to show that he's a starting quality QB, and he's got maybe two or three games to do it before they go to one of the younger guys.  So it's worth watching, unless you are so sure that there is NO chance with Geno, at all, in any situation. 

Yeah I'd say the bolded is pretty darn accurate. Thanks for encapsulating my thoughts oh so succinctly.

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

whoa..I've been nothing but a Geno supporter.  I'm happy it's Geno - I want to see him play...but what I think and the team thinks are two different things.  Managements actions point to what most people are saying here.  They don't like Geno and will be moving on from him after this season - they see Petty/Hack as the future potential on the roster.  

Let me clarify so you dont misunderstand what I meant by discredit. I'll highlight your words so when I explain you'll see what I mean. ^^^^^

Geno is the #2 quarterback given his experience, but the fact that he's on the final year of his rookie contract and he wasnt drafted by this regime makes him the guy that will be shown the door. Petty/Hack are the #3 QB/Redshirt guys. Guys that honestly had no chance to see the field this year but will be given the keys once that potential reaches its peak....in the future. 

What I meant by discredit was with your "bottomline" statement. What you think and what the team thinks are in fact two different things possibly, but also what you think that the team thinks. 

This team had every opportunity to get rid of Geno Smith well before the Petty injury. This is why I disagree with the "organization doesnt like Geno part". they could have replaced Geno in a plethora of ways and it wouldnt have been a blip on the radar because their intentions were to bring Fitz back to begin with. 

Petty was the #3 QB that showed signs this preseason of that "future potential" you mentioned. However, he wasnt the #2 QB, and playing well against teams where the players are the 3rd stringers/guys on the bubble doesnt instantly mean that he was highjacking Geno's spot. What it did was let them know that he's progressing and that with some more work maybe they can drop both Fitz and Geno, wipe the slate clean and move forward with guys that they brought in. 

My bad that I came off sharp in my response. 

24 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Ah c'mon, look at the big contracts that young QB's get who have just shown flashes over the years.  Teams are always willing to pay big money for a potential starter.

Many, many fans,and more importantly beat writers, really dislike this guy and will be waiting for him to screw up. (He will)  NY is not a good place to be a total douche unless you are a super star.  smith's not.

Who is going to shell out big money to sign him? Most teams already have a starter. If he plays well and he helps us win ball games the narrative can change.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

My guess is they simply don't view Petty as starting QB potential.  They kept him on the roster because he can be a cheap backup next year - but it's really hard to know as I'm not totally convinced they know what they're doing.

you realize petty has been injured for 6 weeks and just started throwing again.  mccags is smart, he can keep losing and improving his draft position while getting his own qbs as ready as possible.  unfortunately mccags and bowles have different priorities.  bowles needs to win, coaches are only graded on wins and losses.  the gm needs to find good players and most importantly a qb, obviously.  he's got 2 coals in the fire right now, and his reputation largely stems on whether one of them pans out.  his job is more secure than bowles, b/c it will take a few years to see if either petty or hack, or anyone they draft in 2017, becomes even a decent starter.  bowles is making glaring mistakes on the sidelines and he's ruined a defense where the schemes, use of personnel and lack of effort are beyond concerning.  

remember, they kept petty active despite being useless with a shoulder injury.  this can't be bowles' decision.  mccags knew from the outset the schedule was beyond tough and that fitz may revert to being the qb he always was, he saw petty play well in preseason and figured petty would need to be around the offensive coaches as much as possible while he wasn't playing so he could continue to progress to be ready for december.  the fact they kept petty active all this time suggests at the very least he's earned the right to audition to be the starter.  if they thought his ceiling was as a backup he would have been IR'd.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

you realize petty has been injured for 6 weeks and just started throwing again.  mccags is smart, he can keep losing and improving his draft position while getting his own qbs as ready as possible.  unfortunately mccags and bowles have different priorities.  bowles needs to win, coaches are only graded on wins and losses.  the gm needs to find good players and most importantly a qb, obviously.  he's got 2 coals in the fire right now, and his reputation largely stems on whether one of them pans out.  his job is more secure than bowles, b/c it will take a few years to see if either petty or hack, or anyone they draft in 2017, becomes even a decent starter.  bowles is making glaring mistakes on the sidelines and he's ruined a defense where the schemes, use of personnel and lack of effort are beyond concerning.  

remember, they kept petty active despite being useless with a shoulder injury.  this can't be bowles' decision.  mccags knew from the outset the schedule was beyond tough and that fitz may revert to being the qb he always was, he saw petty play well in preseason and figured petty would need to be around the offensive coaches as much as possible while he wasn't playing so he could continue to progress to be ready for december.  the fact they kept petty active all this time suggests at the very least he's earned the right to audition to be the starter.  if they thought his ceiling was as a backup he would have been IR'd.

All good points.  My only question would be, why didn't they partial season IR him?   He wouldn't have been able to practice for 6 weeks.  He could still talk to coaches, and attend meetings, just couldn't practice.  As it turned out he didn't throw a pass for 5 weeks.  

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

The worst thing that happened was Petty getting hurt. 

They had to go to Geno because Petty needs work & practice. He hadn't thrown a ball for weeks.

Drives me crazy that Geno, after all of his douche antics gets to use these few games to audition himself for other teams in the league. Geno playing has absolutely zero benefit to the future of the NY Jets. Zero! 

Every single game he starts is a complete & utter waste of time for our future QB position. No matter what happens we will not resign him in the offseason. So here we are as Jet fans secretly cheering for our Jets to fail to get to Petty. 

Say what you will about Macc but this is the reason he kept 4 QBs. He knew there was chance Fitz would fail with our opening schedule. Then Petty got hurt which forced his hand (no way you could cut Geno & go right to Hack). You can see now what the plan was. Worst case scenario is that Geno goes on a winning streak. It's always confusing being a Jet fan.

Mac is an idiot. When was the last time we had a GM that had a clue. Woody should just rehire Parcells, give him a percentage of the team, let him make all personnel moves.  In the long run, Woody will make ten fold back what he pays Parcells to right this ship. Look what Jerry Jones has done with the Cowboys and what they are worth now. It's astronomical. Albeit, he is the biggest douchbag on the planet, but he takes no prisoners and goes for the jugular.  Hire Parcells. Beg him, give him free Q tips for life. Bill, go buy the groceries. 

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He was still 3rd on the depth chart when he was healthy.  Are you suggesting he would have been moved to 2 had he not gotten injured?.  Based on virtually everything I've heard Mac say about the guy - he had little confidence in him becoming a starting QB.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Careful. You're setting yourself up for the sanctimonious "I'm a better fan than you" response. 

Jet fans are caught in no mans land with Geno Smith as our starting QB. As a fan, my god you want them to kick everyone's azzes, but at the same time you realize that anything positive that Geno does helps the Jets going forward in not one way, other maybe than getting these young WRs reps & some catchable long balls.

8 hours ago, August said:

If Geno plays well for 10 games the Jets wouldn't entertain bringing him back? That makes no sense.

LOL! I thought everyone HATED Geno smith? Now we're entertaining the idea of keeping him? Can someone make up their effing mind!

19 hours ago, David Harris said:

I forgot about the dick pick and the getting kicked off the airplane...this guy is a total douche.  He could end up being a decetn upgrade (probably not) but his douchiness is indisputable.  I'm glad Fitz's Jets career is done but we're literally in a no win situation by starting Geno.

---He plays well and we don't keep him because he's too costly

----he plays well and we keep him but we know his teammates hate him because he's a douche (and he probaly can't sustain good play)

---he plays crappy and we keep playing him wasting invaluable reps Petty and Hack could've had for their development and our evaluation

No matter what happens this weekend we lose.  SOJF, nope - this is really the way it is.

Best thing that can happen is Geno bombs this weekend so we can see the young(er) guys.

Geno is a giant juvenile

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

LOL! I thought everyone HATED Geno smith? Now we're entertaining the idea of keeping him? Can someone make up their effing mind!

The point is that if he plays well, how does it logically make sense to let him walk?

2 minutes ago, August said:

The point is that if he plays well, how does it logically make sense to let him walk?

Could you imagine Geno Smith with just a little success in NY the way he's been vilified? Dude won't be able to fit his helmet on his giant egomaniac sized noggin. You want to see a smirk from one ear to the other if Macc started talking contract. He'd look like the Grinch when his face goes from regular to evil.

It is simple Geno is a "changed man"....see for yourself!!

Geno Smith a changed man in Chan Gailey’s estimation

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/geno-smith-a-changed-man-in-chan-gailey-s-estimation-1.12483500

October 20, 2016

Geno Smith #7 of the New York Jets Geno Smith #7 of the New York Jets looks on against the Seattle Seahawks at MetLife Stadium on Sunday, Oct. 2, 2016 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Credit: Jim McIsaac)

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — The last time Geno Smith started a game, he threw for 358 yards and three TDs — and had a perfect 158.3 passer rating — against the Miami Dolphins.

That was back on Dec. 28, 2014, less than a month before Chan Gailey was named the Jets’ new offensive coordinator. And since then, Gailey has seen a change in Smith.

“I think he’s learned a lot more football,” he said of Smith, who, after replacing Ryan Fitzpatrick in Monday night’s loss in Arizona, was named the Jets’ new starting quarterback on Wednesday. “I think he understands a lot more of what’s happening in the game, in general: what defenses are trying to do, how we need to try to beat them, what we’re thinking. I do think he’s come a long way in that respect. I think he’s a lot better.”

With the Jets 1-5 and mired in a four-game losing streak, coach Todd Bowles decided to bench Fitzpatrick in favor of Smith.

Smith, a second-round pick in 2013, lost his starting job to Fitzpatrick when his jaw was broken during a locker room altercation with then-teammate IK Enemkpali in August 2015. Over the past 14 months, he’s made only two brief appearances: on Monday night, when he played the final eight minutes of the Jets’ 28-3 loss to the Cardinals, and on Nov. 11, 2015, when Fitzpatrick injured his thumb in Oakland.

“I think all of us have a lot of confidence in him,” Gailey said, adding that he supported Bowles’ decision to bench Fitzpatrick, whom he coached in Buffalo. “He wouldn’t be in this position if we didn’t. He’s got a lot of talent. He hasn’t had a chance to do it for us yet, so I’m excited to watch him play.”

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

It is simple Geno is a "changed man"....see for yourself!!

Geno Smith a changed man in Chan Gailey’s estimation

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/geno-smith-a-changed-man-in-chan-gailey-s-estimation-1.12483500

October 20, 2016

Geno Smith #7 of the New York Jets Geno Smith #7 of the New York Jets looks on against the Seattle Seahawks at MetLife Stadium on Sunday, Oct. 2, 2016 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Credit: Jim McIsaac)

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — The last time Geno Smith started a game, he threw for 358 yards and three TDs — and had a perfect 158.3 passer rating — against the Miami Dolphins.

That was back on Dec. 28, 2014, less than a month before Chan Gailey was named the Jets’ new offensive coordinator. And since then, Gailey has seen a change in Smith.

“I think he’s learned a lot more football,” he said of Smith, who, after replacing Ryan Fitzpatrick in Monday night’s loss in Arizona, was named the Jets’ new starting quarterback on Wednesday. “I think he understands a lot more of what’s happening in the game, in general: what defenses are trying to do, how we need to try to beat them, what we’re thinking. I do think he’s come a long way in that respect. I think he’s a lot better.”

With the Jets 1-5 and mired in a four-game losing streak, coach Todd Bowles decided to bench Fitzpatrick in favor of Smith.

Smith, a second-round pick in 2013, lost his starting job to Fitzpatrick when his jaw was broken during a locker room altercation with then-teammate IK Enemkpali in August 2015. Over the past 14 months, he’s made only two brief appearances: on Monday night, when he played the final eight minutes of the Jets’ 28-3 loss to the Cardinals, and on Nov. 11, 2015, when Fitzpatrick injured his thumb in Oakland.

“I think all of us have a lot of confidence in him,” Gailey said, adding that he supported Bowles’ decision to bench Fitzpatrick, whom he coached in Buffalo. “He wouldn’t be in this position if we didn’t. He’s got a lot of talent. He hasn’t had a chance to do it for us yet, so I’m excited to watch him play.”

I intend too  CB, but his actions don't indicate change.  I have no interest in Geno Smith Personally.  All that matters to me about him is can he execute the Jets offense and help put points on the board .  We're not hangout buddies , but if I were to say anything to him, it would be it's time to grow up and quit with the antics .

For a black man, the worst thing in the world for me is to hear and see other blacks perpetuating the opinions other folks have of us with no knowledge of us. .

I love my Bible.

I give no place to the devil .

Where-ever possible . 

On October 19, 2016 at 10:25 PM, glenn31 said:

Kellen Clemens was 2nd round mildew that you sprayed a little Fantastik on, let it settle for 10 seconds and you quickly wiped the surface clean. Physically & bilogically similar to the Browning Nagle strain. Geno is the same 2nd round mildew but a stronger strain, and the Fantastik used to clean it up is too watered down (Fitz), thus why it keeps re-appearing to wreak havoc on your grout.

Hackenberg is 2nd round mildew that grows in that insignifcant, unseen corner of the bathroom you weren't too keen on cleaning, anyway.

Ummmm....does anyone want to switch seats?

On 10/19/2016 at 10:08 PM, David Harris said:

I forgot about the dick pick and the getting kicked off the airplane...this guy is a total douche.  He could end up being a decetn upgrade (probably not) but his douchiness is indisputable.  I'm glad Fitz's Jets career is done but we're literally in a no win situation by starting Geno.

---He plays well and we don't keep him because he's too costly

----he plays well and we keep him but we know his teammates hate him because he's a douche (and he probaly can't sustain good play)

---he plays crappy and we keep playing him wasting invaluable reps Petty and Hack could've had for their development and our evaluation

No matter what happens this weekend we lose.  SOJF, nope - this is really the way it is.

Best thing that can happen is Geno bombs this weekend so we can see the young(er) guys.

He plays well, and we trade him to a team that is desperate before season's end. Then give Petty and Hack real reps.

37 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I intend too  CB, but his actions don't indicate change.  I have no interest in Geno Smith Personally.  All that matters to me about him is can he execute the Jets offense and help put points on the board .  We're not hangout buddies , but if I were to say anything to him, it would be it's time to grow up and quit with the antics .

For a black man, the worst thing in the world for me is to hear and see other blacks perpetuating the opinions other folks have of us with no knowledge of us. .

I love my Bible.

I give no place to the devil .

Where-ever possible . 

All I can say is I feel the same way. 

I posted the article as, I guess, a hope more so than a reality.  

Archived