Which defensive starter is getting benched?

Maxman

Todd Bowles

On whether he’s made any changes defensively…

I’ve made some changes, yes. (None) that I feel like revealing, but I’ve made some changes.

On whether he made changes to the defensive starters…

I’ve made some changes, yes.

Good to hear, but it makes sense that any other changes don't need to be made as big of a deal as QB, simply because every position in football outside of QB (and I suppose OL) are rotational positions.  So while the depth chart could very well be reordered, it's unlikely that even those being demoted will fall all the way from starter to the point of not even playing at all.  Still worth making changes, but a much different situation.

Don't think Pryor nessesarily needs to be benched. Just needs to play more in the box like he did last year. That's where he is most effective. This year, Bowles has been using him like Rex did, way too much in coverage.  Gotta play to his strength.

LCB: Juston Burris

RCB: Darrelle Revis

Nickel: Buster Skrine

FS: Marcus Williams

SS: Calvin Pryor

ROLB: Catapano

LOLB: Jordan Jenkins

MLB: David Harris

RDE: Sheldon Richardson

DT: Leo Williams

NT: McClendon

LDE: Mo Wilkerson

Darron Lee plays on third downs.

Marcus Gilchrist is a non-entity.

Sheldon Richardson never lines in a two point stance again.

I'm also giving Darryl Roberts every chance to take Skrine's job. Skrine sucks.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Has Williams played safety before? I think the revis usage has got to change too. With the pats they put revis on the WR2 and doubled the 1. something like that might help in coverage since both sides are getting killed playing man to man

50 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I'm guessing Skrine goes back into the slot, Burris goes outside, and Pryor finds his way to the bench. We start rotating Sheldon/Wilkerson/Williams and go back to the 3-4 with Mauldin playing rush OLB.

This is perfect. Fire Rodgers, Jack Straw for DC

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think this is spot on. I like Sheldon at DE better than ILB and OLB - but I like him in a Warren Sapp three technique DT position the very best because that's what I think he is.

41 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Has Williams played safety before? I think the revis usage has got to change too. With the pats they put revis on the WR2 and doubled the 1. something like that might help in coverage since both sides are getting killed playing man to man

That's how they need to use Revis anyway. Asking him to run with AJ Green is as dumb as asking him to run with Sammy Watkins is as dumb as asking him to run with Nuk Hopkins. Thats not the way the position is played anymore. 

24 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I think this is spot on. I like Sheldon at DE better than ILB and OLB - but I like him in a Warren Sapp three technique DT position the very best because that's what I think he is.

I think Sheldon's value is at 3-4 DE, but he can't do that here. He's going to walk as a free agent and we're gonna have to eat it. 

24 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Coples at cornerback. Who gives a sh*t. It's deck chairs on the Lusitania. This ******* team. Change the starting quarterback tell everybody. Switch a linebacker who runs like my mom for one who tackles like my cat BIG SECRET.

There's this, too. Even with all the resources dedicated to the defense, the parts are pretty underwhelming. Other than Leo Williams, you couldn't trade one of them for anything more than a third rounder at this point.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Sheldon's value is at 3-4 DE, but he can't do that here. He's going to walk as a free agent and we're gonna have to eat it. 

Yeah see idk if I agree with that. I think he has too short of arms and is too short of a player to play DE against these NFL Tackles. I think he is such a great athlete he plays it well - but I think he can get 14 sacks in that Warren Sapp position. And if he leaves, which I hope he doesnt, it will haunt the Jets.

Obviously just my opinion.

6 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Yeah see idk if I agree with that. I think he has too short of arms and is too short of a player to play DE against these NFL Tackles. I think he is such a great athlete he plays it well - but I think he can get 14 sacks in that Warren Sapp position. And if he leaves, which I hope he doesnt, it will haunt the Jets.

Obviously just my opinion.

Would you put Leonard Williams outside, though? 

Just now, T0mShane said:

Would you put Leonard Williams outside, though? 

Yeah, I think Williams is hurt by the 3-4 tbh. I think this because he plays like a young Reggie White. I do want to be clear that I am not comparing Williams and Richardson to Sapp and White, except their body and playing styles. I do like your DL considering the current roster make up. But man all we need is a 4-3 edge pass rusher and kick S Rich inside and I think this defense could be great. I did a similar type of post as you earlier, yours was better though. I like those LB's for run downs.

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Yeah, I think Williams is hurt by the 3-4 tbh. I think this because he plays like a young Reggie White. I do want to be clear that I am not comparing Williams and Richardson to Sapp and White, except their body and playing styles. I do like your DL considering the current roster make up. But man all we need is a 4-3 edge pass rusher and kick S Rich inside and I think this defense could be great. I did a similar type of post as you earlier, yours was better though. I like those LB's for run downs.

It sucks that Sheldon isn't producing this year and has limited trade value. It'd be a great opportunity to trade him at the deadline for a pick or two. He'd be a nice fit on a bunch of teams. Wasted here.

My LBs thing is rooted in being annoyed with Lee and Mauldin, to be honest. Lee because I didn't like the pick and he's been predictable: small, bullied at the point of attack, sucks in coverage, makes a splash play once a game when he's unblocked, and now he's hurt. They couldn't have gotten this in the third or fourth round?

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It sucks that Sheldon isn't producing this year and has limited trade value. It'd be a great opportunity to trade him at the deadline for a pick or two. He'd be a nice fit on a bunch of teams. Wasted here.

My LBs thing is rooted in being annoyed with Lee and Mauldin, to be honest. Lee because I didn't like the pick and he's been predictable: small, bullied at the point of attack, sucks in coverage, makes a splash play once a game when he's unblocked, and now he's hurt. They couldn't have gotten this in the third or fourth round?

Lee was a bizarre pick for sure. It is like they are trying to be Arizona and trying to get guys like Buchanon and Swearanger. But we have Buchannan, his name is Calvin Pryor and Swearanger was taken off the scrap heap. It's also a lot easier to play that defense when you have Mathieu and Patrick Peterson. They definitely could have gotten him or someone like him in another way and maybe got a player who would have helped more.

Here is the real ironic part of the whole thing. Lee would probably be the exact LB Herm would love. This defense is actually probably closer to what Herm wanted when he was here. lol 

Maybe this disaster will get Sheldon resigned cheaper and we can run the 4-3 we should be running.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Comps picks! :D

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

There's this, too. Even with all the resources dedicated to the defense, the parts are pretty underwhelming. Other than Leo Williams, you couldn't trade one of them for anything more than a third rounder at this point.

a 3rd rounder and other draft picks are pretty good, and seems like the preferred ammunition of our GM to restock the team in his manner. 

I agree with prior posts that Skrine should strictly be relegated to NB and promote/rotate Burris and Richards at #2CB.

If the Jets have long-term plans for Antonio Allen, which doesn't seem like the case, get him reps at FS to see if he can replace Gilchrist who will carry $6.6M Cap charge in '17. Otherwise FS will be a need - Marcus Williams at FS is not a bad idea.

Pryor should ONLY play in the box and as a $LB, he has NO business being responsible for deep coverages. Otherwise Bench him. 

Dozier should start showing his worth and get some reps. 

Will Devon Smith be activated and be expected to contribute? He'd be the highest draft pick amongst all the young bucks  -Enunwa 6th, Peake7th, Marshall&Robby UDFA - we carry at WR in addition to being MacCags initial 2nd rounder that's yet to validate itself.

so  . . . . 11-5? :D

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Todd Bowles

On whether he’s made any changes defensively…

I’ve made some changes, yes. (None) that I feel like revealing, but I’ve made some changes.

On whether he made changes to the defensive starters…

I’ve made some changes, yes.

I think it's more about coaching than anything. Example: we pick up Antonio Allen, a guy who contained Grok for us a couple years back, yet the coaching staff puts Pryor in a position to fail putting him one-on-one against TE's. When has Pryor ever been that guy, furthermore why would the CS not play Allen in those situations? Pryor looks like sh*t but is it his fault when he's doing what is asked of him?

The only guy I can say that I have been disappointed with is Gilchrist. Not that I can point to any plays in particular, it's more of "has this guy even been on the field" becAuse I have yet to hear his name when a play is made.

It's the coaching of the personnel imo.

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Marcus Williams played safety a few games last season and was a disaster. He couldn't cover or tackle. It was bad. There are safeties on the practice squad I'd rather see.

Catapano is not a starter. He's a special teams guy and nothing more. 

Skrine is awful inside and out. He was one of the worst corners in the league before he came to thenJets and that hasn't changed. 

Pryor, I hope.

I agree. He is extremely frustrating to watch. Last season he was great, making positive impacts in both the passing and running game. Now it seems like he's regressed back to his rookie play which sucks. I am a fan of Rontez Miles and Antonio Allen pre-injury.....so maybe one of those two can step in and fill that role.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

Don't think Pryor nessesarily needs to be benched. Just needs to play more in the box like he did last year. That's where he is most effective. This year, Bowles has been using him like Rex did, way too much in coverage.  Gotta play to his strength.

I agree, and I'm pretty sure Bowles knows it.

Problem is there's just not that much of a need for an in the box safety. It was just a terrible pick for a player who is not suited for today's nfl

Skrine cannot cover anybody from any position. I take him off the field.  He would commit penalties covering a high school wideout.  Guy has Cleveland-itis. As fr the rest, I don't know.  Skrine stands out as terrible. The rest of the D? Guys who should be playing great are playing meh.  Maybe it is the scheme itself.  Our blitzers never get there. Their blitzers do.  Our pass rush up front gets handled.  Maybe we do not have the talent we think we do?  We never seem to have the kind of blitzers that other teams do. I realize we don't draft pass rushing LBs of any note, but our secondary guys also suck at getting in there.  With our secondary cover talent we simply have to move the QBs feet.  Or put him on his ass.

Archived