Bowles Gives Updates on the QB Situation

JetNation

Geno Smith

Todd Bowles spoke to the media today and a lot of the press conference centered around the announcement that Geno Smith would start at QB on Sunday. We don’t normally run full transcripts but this is a good read. Here is everything Bowles said today about all four quarterbacks on the roster.

On making the change to Geno Smith…
I felt like it was time for a change. We had six games where we didn’t play very well in five of them. The quarterback is ultimately responsible but I’m responsible, the rest of the team is responsible. I felt like it would be a good time to make a chance to see what he can do. When you have guys of equal talent at a equal talent level and one’s not playing as well, you try to turn to the other one. That’s what we did.

On why he was so strong in his support of Ryan Fitzpatrick after the game…
After the game you could ask me about anybody, I would have told you they were going to start. If I make a decision without consulting with my coaches or the general manager or the players themselves, you guys are not going to be the first to know. They are going to be the first to know. So if you ask me about anybody after the game, I would have said the same thing. But until I watch the film and we have our Monday meeting, that’s when I make my decisions. So that’s why I said it.

On if his decision was influenced by someone or if it was strictly his call…
This was strictly my call.

On whether he saw anything on film from Fitzpatrick that changed his decision…
No, it’s all our fault. It’s still not Fitz’s fault. Fitz is not falling on the sword for anything. I take responsibility, the coaches take responsibility, the offensive line and the receivers take responsibility. But I felt it was time for a change. We got up there in the turnover category. We hadn’t put any points up and we’re trying to get a spark somewhere so I made the change.

On whether he considers Smith and Fitzpatrick equal talents…
I figured they both started and played in this league. They’re equal talent. They do different things well. Each of them do different things well. Going in, Geno had a shot at it last year, Fitz took it over and played well. Fitz had a shot at it this year and Geno took it over.

On whether he feels Smith gives the team the best chance to win on Sunday or if this team just needs a spark…
Little bit of both. We’ve been stagnant on offense. Not to say we’ve been playing great on defense either but we’ve been stagnant on offense and we have some things in place where we think another quarterback will probably right now be beneficial.

On whether Smith can play himself into the franchise’s future plans…
It’s too early to tell on that right now. We just want him to play against Baltimore.

On why he spoke with Mike Maccagnan and the coaching staff if the quarterback change was his decision…
It’s just a protocol factor and a respect factor. That’s the way I do things.

On if those meetings offered any clarity…
Nothing I didn’t see the night before. We’re all on the same page.

On whether Smith is on a short leash…
Geno’s our starter.

On whether Fitzpatrick is the number two…
Ryan’s the two.

On if the choice was solely between Fitzpatrick and Smith…
Bryce (Petty) has only practiced for a week and Hack’s (Christian Hackenberg) not ready. It was Geno or Fitz.

On if this decision was on his mind during yesterday’s conference call…
That was my thought, yes but I like to hear from the other coaches. I like to hear from management. I like to hear everybody’s input.

On what gives him confidence that Smith has the leadership qualities…
I think Fitz had leadership qualities but it’s not about leadership now. It’s also about production and we’re not producing in certain areas, not just the quarterback position so we made the change. I know he’s got talent, I know Fitz can lead, I know Geno can lead. It’s about making plays and not turning the ball over.

On Smith’s leadership qualities at the quarterback position…
He’s played it his whole life. He’s got great spunk in the huddle. He understands the game plan and he practiced the whole spring. He started in this league before. He’s grown. He’s spent a lot of rough years but he’s grown in this league. We’ll see if that transpires and he’s got the opportunity to do so.

On whether Smith’s teammates respect him…
I’m sure they do. You can respect people as a player and not hang out with that person. This is football. They don’t have to be best friends. They don’t hate him. They all get along in the locker room. They respect his ability and he respects their ability.

On whether Smith will remain the starter if the Jets get eliminated from the playoffs…
He’s our starter right now and we’ll see how things go down the line. I can only go week-to-week.

On how Fitzpatrick took the news…
He’s a pro. I’m sure he’s disappointed. It was disappointing telling him but he’s a pro. He understands it and he’s been in it. Geno had to do it last year. Fitz has to do it this year.

On whether he could potentially turn back to Fitzpatrick this season…
It’s possible I can, yes.

On whether it was a mistake to bring back Fitzpatrick…
I don’t think it was a mistake based off what he did last year. He had the statistics and everything else. I mean he set records and everything else. You want that kind of karma and chemistry back. It just hasn’t happened this year.

On whether he believes he should have turned to Smith sooner…
No, I don’t.

On his comments yesterday about backups, and that backup becoming a starter today…
I wasn’t referring to him (Smith). I was referring to backups in general. Backups are backups for a reason. Either the guy in front of you is playing well and you don’t have a chance to play, or you’re not doing some of the things that you need to do to start. But at the time, Fitz had a great season last season. He came into the season as a starter. He earned that and he hadn’t played well as of late, neither have a lot of other people, and Geno got to be the starter now. What he said on the sideline had absolutely nothing to do with my decision or how I feel.

On what he’s seen from Smith in practice so far this season…
He takes reps. He’s been taking reps with the first team all week. Practice is easy. The games are different. I’ve seen progress from a lot of people in practice that hasn’t translated to Sunday. But he had an opportunity to do some things on Sunday that he’s been denied from for a year and half, so we’re going to see if he can do it.

On whether the offense changes with Smith at quarterback…
A few things change, yes.

On whether Smith was any different at practice today…
He was the same. I mean he practiced the same. He’s been a pro the whole time, so he’s been the same today as he’s always been.

On how many first team reps Smith has received during practice this season…
Fitz gets about 70-80 (percent), Geno got about 20-30 percent.

On whether the percentage will flip now…
Yes, that’ll flip the other way.

On amount of practice Bryce Petty requires before he can be considered as a potential starter…
He needs to practice a good bit. He needs to practice a good bit and get some reps. A week coming back after over a month, he needs to practice a little while.

On whether he was considering a change to Smith Monday night similar to after the Houston Texans game last season…
I had to see the film. In my mind, I had to see the film. In my mind after this game, I had to see the film to really make a decision. I saw the film and made my decision.

On reason Hackenberg is not ready yet…
You’ve got to get reps to get ready. He’s a rookie quarterback and he’s got three in front of him. He’s not going to get enough reps to be ready to throw in there like that. He’s getting plenty of scout team reps. He’s learning poise in the pocket and is getting experience that way.

On why Fitzpatrick hasn’t been able to make plays this year compared to last year…
It’s a good question. It’s a little bit of everything. It’s a little bit on the offensive line. It’s on the coaches. It’s on the receivers. It’s on the running backs and it’s on Fitz. We didn’t gel and come together like we did last year. We haven’t been producing, so I thought it was time for a change.

On what he anticipates will change with Smith as quarterback and how the issues on offense will be corrected…
We’ve got to correct it and turn the season around. It’s up to the coaches to do it. It’s up to the players to do it as well. We’ve got some different things in for Geno and hopefully it (creates) a spark. It gives him the opportunity to play. We’re 1-5 and we haven’t shown any signs of progress on offense, so I made the change.

On if he wanted to see a full body of work from Fitzpatrick before making the change to Smith…
Yes, anytime you have a quarterback like that, that had a season the way he had, you give him the full confidence going into the season. If (he) has a bad game, you’ve got to give him time to shake it off and do those certain types of things and come back from it. In the past four games over the course of time, we hadn’t really come back from it. At that point, you’ve got to start looking at other options.

On if he believes Fitzpatrick missing OTA’s and mini-camp contributed to his play thus far…
No, I don’t.

On nature of Woody Johnson’s involvement in these types of decisions…
Woody is a bright guy. He owns the team. You always solicit his opinion. You always let him know what’s going on with the team. It’s his team to run. You try to give opinions here or there, but we talk about it and we have our own private discussions, and we go from there.

On if he talked to Johnson before deciding that Smith will be the starting quarterback…
We talk all of the time.

On what his thoughts are on Smith’s comments from the game…
My thoughts are that it’s just gossip and I don’t pay it any mind.

On the comments not being gossip because he said it…
He said it to you all and you all write what you want to write. For me, it’s gossip. It had no bearing on him playing or not playing or anything else he has to say on the field. It has no bearing. It’s really a waste of my time.

On if he takes any stock in sideline behavior…
When it gets out of hand, yes. I take a lot of stock in sideline behavior.

On if he takes any stock in a backup quarterback demonstrating visible frustration after the starting quarterback throws an interception…
I’ve seen starters throw frustration. I’ve seen backups at every position have frustration. His story is no bigger than what it is.

On if it worries him that Smith verbalized his frustration to a national broadcaster…
It’s like dirt off the back of my shoulder. I have no issues with that. Ok? Me and Geno talked. We have our discussions. I talk with everyone on this team. He knows where I stand. We have a good understanding.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
BmtJ6MpEXds

Click here to read the full story...

I have lost some respect for what we are being told. IF Coughlin or Parcells or Gruden is the HC...you understand that the decision is theirs.  Here, with Bowles, I see his lips moving but not sure if he believes what he is saying.  

I wonder, deep down, if he is not questioning his own ability to coach the JETS through this difficult period. 

On what he’s seen from Smith in practice so far this season…
He takes reps. He’s been taking reps with the first team all week. Practice is easy. The games are different. I’ve seen progress from a lot of people in practice that hasn’t translated to Sunday. But he had an opportunity to do some things on Sunday that he’s been denied from for a year and half, so we’re going to see if he can do it.

That some talking-up there Bowles.  

Well, at least we know Smith takes reps.  

I like how he handled this and everything else off field since he's been here. The issues have been a lot of the on the field management. But, we'll see if he turns things around and stops us from being a laughingstock.

I turned quickly on Bowles because of high expectations for the team and him this year, but it really was all fool's gold and shame on myself losing perspective.

All coaches have tough times at some point. Even Parcells when Vinny went down still had a very talentes team and one of the best coaching staffs ever assembled and started 1-5. Yea he got the ship right that year, but he also was almost a 20 year head coach by then. 

I had a thought the other day ... maybe the pressure to move to Geno came more from his co-ordinators than from Woody / Mac? Maybe they'd been seeing what we've been seeing for a few weeks, but Bowles had been sticking to his guns and this game finally made Bowles accept what they'd been saying?

I have plenty of issues with Bowles as a head coach, but I do not question his motives here. I have said this 100 times this week, no coach would announce a QB change in the post game press conference. They always look at film and speak to the coordinators before making that conclusion. So while many here (and in the media) want to create a fake controversy over whether Woody influenced this decision, I am sure this decision was Bowles decision to make on his own. 

With that said, I still wouldn't mind if he was fired as some of his in game decisions (not going for 2 against the BIlls late and a dozen others) are just awful. 

34 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I'm fine with giving Geno a few games. But they need to have Petty getting the #2 reps and Hack third string ones. Petty should be starting after the bye, unless Geno lights it up (yes I laughed as I typed that last line). 

That is simply not going to happen until A. the Jets are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs or B. Geno plays AWFUL. 

I doubt Geno plays awful. I think the Jets actually have a great opportunity to go on a run in the next 4 games, going into the bye- Ravens, @Browns, @Dolphins, Rams.  

If the Jets win the next 4 games (or 3 out of 4), Geno will be given a chance to play until the Jets are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. 

So yeah, Petty might get a chance to start in week 15, 16, 17. But its quite possible he remains the #3 with Geno as starter and Fitz as backup until the end of the season. So I would not be holding my breath for Petty to get #2 reps. 

13 minutes ago, PepPep said:

That is simply not going to happen until A. the Jets are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs or B. Geno plays AWFUL. 

I doubt Geno plays awful. I think the Jets actually have a great opportunity to go on a run in the next 4 games, going into the bye- Ravens, @Browns, @Dolphins, Rams.  

If the Jets win the next 4 games (or 3 out of 4), Geno will be given a chance to play until the Jets are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. 

So yeah, Petty might get a chance to start in week 15, 16, 17. But its quite possible he remains the #3 with Geno as starter and Fitz as backup until the end of the season. So I would not be holding my breath for Petty to get #2 reps. 

I hope Bowles is wasting 2nd team reps on fitzgarbage.. They might as well cut him, he is 4th on depth chart now..

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I hope Bowles is wasting 2nd team reps on fitzgarbage.. They might as well cut him, he is 4th on depth chart now..

Well, actually Fitz is 2nd on depth chart now. So if Geno gets hurt. Fitz will get another shot. I'm not sure why that's at all unclear. 

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Todd Bowles is a good coach. Firing him will not improve this franchise. 

When the Jets went up 12 points against the Bills with 4 minutes left and Bowles opted to for 1 (instead of going for 2 to go up 14), you thought to yourself "that's a good head coach."?

When the Jets were down 11 pts on the road against the Steelers and Bowles decided to Punt to "Big Ben" on 4th down from the 46 with 7 minutes left, you thought he was a good head coach? 

Just because he isn't Rex and answers questions like a professional, doesn't mean he knows how to properly handle quick, in game decisions.

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Well, actually Fitz is 2nd on depth chart now. So if Geno gets hurt. Fitz will get another shot. I'm not sure why that's at all unclear. 

I understand he is this week since petty just got back.. But it's much more important that petty gets more reps than fitz since soon it will be petty, not fitz coming in if geno gets hurt or falters after a month..  and fitz is so good he doesn't need the practice right ? What everyone said this summer when he was skipping practice.

13 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If Petty or Hackenberg were ready to be the number 2 they would have gotten the start on Sunday.

5 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I understand he is this week since petty just got back.. But it's much more important that petty gets more reps than fitz since soon it will be petty, not fitz coming in if geno gets hurt or falters after a month..  and fitz is so good he doesn't need the practice right ? What everyone said this summer when he was skipping practice.

Yeah, I'm no so sure. I think Geno would need to get hurt or play really bad. Then Bowles will give Fitz another chance and Fitz would need to play poorly or get hurt. Only then will Petty get a shot. And by then, with such bad QB play, you would think the Jets will be mathematically out of the playoff picture and Petty will get the nod regardless. lol. 

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Yeah, I'm no so sure. I think Geno would need to get hurt or play really bad. Then Bowles will give Fitz another chance and Fitz would need to play poorly or get hurt. Only then will Petty get a shot. And by then, with such bad QB play, you would think the Jets will be mathematically out of the playoff picture and Petty will get the nod regardless. lol. 

Lol playoffs.. I don't think they are going back to fitzgarbage unless geno gets hurt this week or the next two.. By then if geno is playing anywhere near as bad as fitz did, we are mathematically out of the playoffs and petty will be ready for some 17 auditioning.. No way is Mac going to bring in fitz just so he can hope to trick some sucker team into signing him next yr ha

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Todd Bowles is a good coach. Firing him will not improve this franchise. 

Todd Bowles teams have consistently gone into games with less emotion than their opposition.  The game is predicated so much on who is playing with more determination.  

This is a direct reflection on him and his lassez-faire demeanor.  If the team continues to get outplayed, outcoached, outhustled, and outhearted, then I don't see how firing him does not improve this franchise.

While there's plenty you can try to read into this if you really want to, the only things that were rather definitively said is that Geno is the starter for now, Petty might get to play at some point, but that's not happening particularly soon, and we are definitely not seeing Hackenberg this year.  Not particularly shocking, but he certainly made a point of making that clear regarding the latter two, with the distinction between needing more practice time, versus not being ready/considered at all.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

When the Jets went up 12 points against the Bills with 4 minutes left and Bowles opted to for 1 (instead of going for 2 to go up 14), you thought to yourself "that's a good head coach."?

When the Jets were down 11 pts on the road against the Steelers and Bowles decided to Punt to "Big Ben" on 4th down from the 46 with 7 minutes left, you thought he was a good head coach? 

Just because he isn't Rex and answers questions like a professional, doesn't mean he knows how to properly handle quick, in game decisions.

neither of those decisions had a factor in the actual outcome of the game.  And by the way Rex wasn't a bad coach either he's 4-2 right now. 

the Jets need to keep a guy around for a decade plus like Bill Cowher, Marvin Lewis and Mike Tomlin. Not fire a first time HC every couple years. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

neither of those decisions had a factor in the actual outcome of the game.  And by the way Rex wasn't a bad coach either he's 4-2 right now. 

the Jets need to keep a guy around for a decade plus like Bill Cowher, Marvin Lewis and Mike Tomlin. Not fire a first time HC every couple years. 

This is true, especially if you're going to hire a first time head coach.

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Since Woody bought the team, three head coaches have been fired. Herm was fired with a sub .500% record after five years on the job; Mangini fired with a sub .500% record after three years on the job; Rex fired with a sub .500% record after six years on the job.

Where, in the Woody Johnson era, did you concoct this idea that we fire head coachs "every couple years"? 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Marvin Lewis has won nothing at all, nothing,  Cowher under delivered for 16 years.

You keep a guy around if he progress, Rex is a bad coach, a very bad head football coach.

Bowles will be here next year and probably the year after that at least but he better show improvement, just like coaches expect players to improve in their craft, teams should have the same expectation for coaches.

Taking the attitude that errors had no bearing thus it is fine and dandy just means you will make the same error when it counts sometime down the road.

The offensive woes?  Bowles gets a pass on those for the most part.  The defense?  No one in the wide world can defend him on the performance on that side of the ball, the side were by far the most of our resources have been spent.

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I'm fine with giving Geno a few games. But they need to have Petty getting the #2 reps and Hack third string ones. Petty should be starting after the bye, unless Geno lights it up (yes I laughed as I typed that last line). 

We are already at the bye.  Playoffs were kissed bye bye after the Bungle loss.  Start Petty NOW.

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Marvin Lewis has won nothing at all, nothing,  Cowher under delivered for 16 years.

You keep a guy around if he progress, Rex is a bad coach, a very bad head football coach.

Bowles will be here next year and probably the year after that at least but he better show improvement, just like coaches expect players to improve in their craft, teams should have the same expectation for coaches.

Taking the attitude that errors had no bearing thus it is fine and dandy just means you will make the same error when it counts sometime down the road.

The offensive woes?  Bowles gets a pass on those for the most part.  The defense?  No one in the wide world can defend him on the performance on that side of the ball, the side were by far the most of our resources have been spent.

Marvin Lewis won 12 games last year, 10 the year before that, 11 the year before that, 10 the year before that , 9 the year before that etc. 

Despite not winning a ring, they have sustained a level of success of which Jets fans should be envious.  They go to the playoffs all the time. The Jets haven't gone for what, 6 years? 

I can defend the defense and the reason is simple: when the offense goes 3 and out all game it puts the D in bad spots. Bowles didn't draft Pryor by the way who is a first round safety who can't cover. 

Marvin Lewis won 12 games last year, 10 the year before that, 11 the year before that, 10 the year before that , 9 the year before that etc. 
Despite not winning a ring, they have sustained a level of success of which Jets fans should be envious.  They go to the playoffs all the time. The Jets haven't gone for what, 6 years? 
I can defend the defense and the reason is simple: when the offense goes 3 and out all game it puts the D in bad spots. Bowles didn't draft Pryor by the way who is a first round safety who can't cover. 

I laugh at Jets fans who criticize Marvin Lewis.

Double digit wins consistently and the playoffs for 6 straight seasons.

When was the last time the Jets have had that length of sustainable success?

59 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That last part is sheer and utter nonsense and you know it.  Unless you are not watching the games.  The defense is a travesty of ineptitude, confusion and under under achievement and it has zero to do with the offense.  Calvin Pryors poor play is 1/11th of the problem of the defense which is loaded with 6 1st round picks and the majority of our cap space.  It's brutal, far more of a disappointment than our offense.

Archived