Bowles Gives Updates on the QB Situation

JetNation

36 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That last part is sheer and utter nonsense and you know it.  Unless you are not watching the games.  The defense is a travesty of ineptitude, confusion and under under achievement and it has zero to do with the offense.  Calvin Pryors poor play is 1/11th of the problem of the defense which is loaded with 6 1st round picks and the majority of our cap space.  It's brutal, far more of a disappointment than our offense.

coaches coach and players play. What are we supposed to believe, that the Jets would be awesome, if only they had a different coach?

Yeah, right. 

BY the way, the roster has been riddled with injuries to key players. Revis, Decker, Breno, Harris. This week Mangold and Clady didn't practice. 

Revis a key player?  You mean the 17 million dollar Cb that got owned by AJ Green and got torched for an 84yarder by the legendary Myles Goodwin?  The same Revis that lazily watched as David Johnson ran for a 50 yarder last game?  And David Harris, the guy making 12 million that is good if you run straight at him?

Yeah coaches coach, as in putting a 300 pound disturptor of a dlineman at ilb and olb because he can't figure out how to use his resources?

Hey I liked Bowles demeanor and how he hands things in the media he has a chance to still be a good coach but anyone excusing the laughable defense he is putting out there has his head firmly planted in the sand. 

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That last part is sheer and utter nonsense and you know it.  Unless you are not watching the games.  The defense is a travesty of ineptitude, confusion and under under achievement and it has zero to do with the offense.  Calvin Pryors poor play is 1/11th of the problem of the defense which is loaded with 6 1st round picks and the majority of our cap space.  It's brutal, far more of a disappointment than our offense.

The defense that is playing this year is essentially the same as last year personnel wise. We got rid of DeMario Davis and brought in another 1st round pick, got rid of Cro (who was a liability anyway). Biggest change I guess was losing Snacks and bringing in McClendon.

How it has gone from a pretty strong unit last year to the disaster we see this year is beyond me. I simply cannot accept that the 8 or so starters returning from last year all suddenly got old / forgot how to play / both.

And I never buy the argument that they're gassed from being on the field so much. They suck from start to finish. If they started strong and flagged late I'd accept it. But that's simply not the case. The only game we gave up significantly more points in the second half was Buffalo - which we won. In total we've actually given up the same number of points in the first half as in the second - 82.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

You say this about every single coach we've ever had.  lmfao

And a lot of players too.

Its your thing.

Well, was I wrong? Did firing those coaches win the Super Bowl? I stand by those statements. 

Somewhere along the way Jets fans accepted firing people as a substitute for winning. As if I'm not happy, NO ONE'S going to be happy. It's a NY thing. But it doesn't actually improve anything. 

Maybe if Rex had time to build a program like Marvin Lewis or Bill Cowher, we'd be 4-2 like the Bills instead of 1-5 with yet another new coach. 

End of the day I don't think coaches do as much as people think. They set the tone. They give speeches. But coaches coach and players play. Give the worst HC in the league the best QB in the league and that team will win a ton of games. 

If that wasn't true, by the way, if coaches really were that important, they'd make more than a special teamer. 

side note the one time it was true, that coaching really made a difference, it was Parcells, he had Belly and 10 other future HC's on the staff. That was a lightning strike. Most coaches aren't that influential on the outcome. 

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

The defense that is playing this year is essentially the same as last year personnel wise. We got rid of DeMario Davis and brought in another 1st round pick, got rid of Cro (who was a liability anyway). Biggest change I guess was losing Snacks and bringing in McClendon.

How it has gone from a pretty strong unit last year to the disaster we see this year is beyond me. I simply cannot accept that the 8 or so starters returning from last year all suddenly got old / forgot how to play / both.

And I never buy the argument that they're gassed from being on the field so much. They suck from start to finish. If they started strong and flagged late I'd accept it. But that's simply not the case. The only game we gave up significantly more points in the second half was Buffalo - which we won. In total we've actually given up the same number of points in the first half as in the second - 82.

teams studied tape of the bengals game and realized their qbs can't stay in the pocket so they get rid of it quicker, they admit this.  the jets dc did not adjust to this, they keep using sheldon improperly and when they don't generate pressure the cbs get torched.  where did mauldin go?

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah coaches coach, as in putting a 300 pound disturptor of a dlineman at ilb and olb because he can't figure out how to use his resources?

what resources? Mike Catapano? Marcus Williams? Maybe Sheldon is a better OLB or CB than both of those bums. 

Revis does look like garbage but again it's not like a better coach would make him great again. Coaches need their big money players play like big money players or the whole thing falls apart.  

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

what resources? Mike Catapano? Marcus Williams? Maybe Sheldon is a better OLB or CB than both of those bums. 

Revis does look like garbage but again it's not like a better coach would make him great again. Coaches need their big money players play like big money players or the whole thing falls apart.  

defense was better with mauldin on the outside and sheldon suspended.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

We had a better defense last year, but we didn't have better CBs or OLBs. So how come the same resources are doing such a poorer job this year vs. last?

Just now, Augustiniak said:

defense was better with mauldin on the outside and sheldon suspended.

mauldin's been playing all sorts of snaps he's done nothing. 

in fact all this talk about Bowles, i'm wondering if Mac "Take Christian Hackenberg 5 rounds too early" isn't a worse problem. 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

mauldin's been playing all sorts of snaps he's done nothing. 

in fact all this talk about Bowles, i'm wondering if Mac "Take Christian Hackenberg 5 rounds too early" isn't a worse problem. 

how is the gm at fault for the entire defense sucking when it was pretty good last year and they added lee?  nobody was blaming him for the defense last year.

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The New yorks jets big thing this off season was "We have improved our aging linebacking core."

We drafted Mauidin who had 4 or 5 sack in vey limited defensive snaps last year as an olb, we drafted Jordan jenkisn, a 3-4 olb.  We drafted a small speed ILB in Lee again a 3-4 LB.

Game one we have no richardson and the dline gets pressure and 7 sacks.  As soon as he gets back since has has to play ....somewhere and we are playing way more 4-3 making Lee less effective given his skill set and making Mauldin obsolete and Jenkins back from injury a poor fit as a 4-3 olb.

He's doing a bad job because the team has been killed by the big play AND by the dink and dunk.  We are near the bottom in pretty well every pass defense stat, and passing wins in this league.

23 minutes ago, jamesr said:

they simply do not get close enough to the QB.  That forces poor cover guys to cover longer.  Til last week they were good against the run.  I watch and I wonder.  I just do not believe Bowles is not a motivator.  He may make questionable game decisions--no doubt there.  I think this is on the players.  I think we have a few fat cats who really have never won anything.  That is a bad thing to have.

12 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I like how he handled this and everything else off field since he's been here. The issues have been a lot of the on the field management. But, we'll see if he turns things around and stops us from being a laughingstock.

I turned quickly on Bowles because of high expectations for the team and him this year, but it really was all fool's gold and shame on myself losing perspective.

All coaches have tough times at some point. Even Parcells when Vinny went down still had a very talented team and one of the best coaching staffs ever assembled and started 1-5. Yea he got the ship right that year, but he also was almost a 20 year head coach by then. 

On the defensive side it's really been addition by subtraction re Cro and DD.  The only real loss was Snacks and any DC worth his salt can coach/scheme around losing one man.  So why the hell is it that out D has gone from 1st to worst?  It's seems to me that Bowles isn't worth his salt.    

This plus his stubbornness, in game mismanagement, failure to make 2nd half adjustments, and the revelation that he has nothing what so ever to do with the offense is why I've turned on him.  I'd be thrilled to no end if I wind up eating crow and Bowles redeems himself, but I'm not going to hold my breath.           

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Well, was I wrong? Did firing those coaches win the Super Bowl? I stand by those statements. 

Somewhere along the way Jets fans accepted firing people as a substitute for winning. As if I'm not happy, NO ONE'S going to be happy. It's a NY thing. But it doesn't actually improve anything. 

Maybe if Rex had time to build a program like Marvin Lewis or Bill Cowher, we'd be 4-2 like the Bills instead of 1-5 with yet another new coach. 

End of the day I don't think coaches do as much as people think. They set the tone. They give speeches. But coaches coach and players play. Give the worst HC in the league the best QB in the league and that team will win a ton of games. 

If that wasn't true, by the way, if coaches really were that important, they'd make more than a special teamer. 

side note the one time it was true, that coaching really made a difference, it was Parcells, he had Belly and 10 other future HC's on the staff. That was a lightning strike. Most coaches aren't that influential on the outcome. 

This all sounds great, except you threw a sh*tfit when we fired Tannenbaum, too.

32 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Seriously bit?

Wow.

If Coaches were so important, why do QB's make 10x more? Money talks. 

Bellichek was just a failed retread until Brady came along. 

What's the worst coach in Jets history? Kotite? Give Kotite a QB like Peyton Manning and he'd be a winning coach. 

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

I laugh at Jets fans who criticize Marvin Lewis.

Double digit wins consistently and the playoffs for 6 straight seasons.

When was the last time the Jets have had that length of sustainable success?

Rex Ryan had already coached more playoff wins by the end of his 17th career head coaching game than Lewis has through his 14 years.

BB makes 10x the money that the Pats are paying Brady this year.

Only reason the Pats went 3-1 without Brady was because of BB.

Yea, all his "speeches" made him one of the greatest HC's of all-time.

Really?

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

What's the worst coach in Jets history? Kotite? Give Kotite a QB like Peyton Manning and he'd be a winning coach. 

I totally agree with you about great Qb's making coaches look better than they are.  I would actually say that the fact Fitzpatrick and the offense over achieved last year made bowles look better than he is perhaps.  Now that the offense has fallen off the defense that was supposed to carry this team has been exposed.

You can say I think he still can be a good coach  down the road and I would accept that opinion whether I agreed with it or not.  I can't accept you thinking he has done a good job this year.  He clearly but almost every metric not done a good job.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I can't accept you thinking he has done a good job this year.  He clearly but almost every metric not done a good job.

End of the day the record is the responsibility of the coach and no 1-5 isn't a great result. But I also can't think of better coaching moves Bowles could have done, that would have changed this outcome.

Let's be real half of these games so far were Ls when they drew up the schedule. The Jets never win At KC or At PIT. That's bigger than Bowles.  

Archived