Roger Goodell: NFL trying to understand drop in ratings

Gas2No99

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cornfed said:

I think overexposure is part of the problem. Too much of a good thing. I also think the rule changes over time have changed the product. My eye immediately scans the field at the conclusion of every pass play for flags. Each completion, the defender complains. Each pass defended, the wr complains. Similar with big hits - you immediately scan for flags.

i know some of that is for player safety, which is obviously more important than my viewing enjoyment. But some is also to make the product more like a video game with 45-38 scores and such.

That plus I am simply way more busy than I used to be.  With priorities that can't wait. Could it be that the core generation that made the NFL unprecedentedly popular is simply aging? With kids, more job demands, sick parents, etc?

Exactly. I hope the league comes to its senses and begins the process of eliminating Thursday Night Football.

2 hours ago, MaxAF said:

On the kneeling crap during the National Anthem. I have my own opinions on it and I personally don't like it but its a free country. The NFL puts too much attention on it giving them camera time IMO. I think some people are boycotting the NFL because of it.

I think, more often than not, the people who claim to be boycotting because of it, are really turning it off for the other stated reasons: overexposure, watered down product, cheating, officiating, and have now found themselves a convenient thing/person to blame for their frustrations.

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

As long as there has been football, people's priorities have been changing. This is not new.

Yes and no.

Costs are rising and disposable income is lowering and there's a lot more competition in town for your entertainment dollar/time.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I think, more often than not, the people who claim to be boycotting because of it, are really turning it off for the other stated reasons: overexposure, watered down product, cheating, officiating, and have now found themselves a convenient thing/person to blame for their frustrations.

Or it's simply a "last straw"  

Horrible officiating + horrible selection of games

The MNF game was unwatchable thanks to penalties called every play.  Fitzgerald got away with pushing off Revis every time but Skrine would get a PI call for looking at a receiver the wrong way

The 49ers are horrible and have had two night games.  I could tell you last year our game at the cardinals would be awful

Been calling this for years. Both Tagliabue and Goodell had absolutely no vision about where things were headed and it was obvious when the concussion stuff began that there would be a monumental long-term impact on their ability to put out a quality product. The rule changes that completely biased the game and made it harder to field a consistently competitive franchise has compounded that, along with several others (over-saturation on TV, notably). People forget easily, but it wasn't too long ago that the most popular sports in this country were boxing, horse racing, and baseball. But talent pools change, times change, and the country changes.

3 hours ago, Cornfed said:

I think overexposure is part of the problem. Too much of a good thing. I also think the rule changes over time have changed the product. My eye immediately scans the field at the conclusion of every pass play for flags. Each completion, the defender complains. Each pass defended, the wr complains. Similar with big hits - you immediately scan for flags.

i know some of that is for player safety, which is obviously more important than my viewing enjoyment. But some is also to make the product more like a video game with 45-38 scores and such.

That plus I am simply way more busy than I used to be.  With priorities that can't wait. Could it be that the core generation that made the NFL unprecedentedly popular is simply aging? With kids, more job demands, sick parents, etc?

Jets were horrible Monday night. But Jerome Boger's crew averages 18 penalties a game. At one point in the 3rd quarter, seemed like there was a penalty on every play. That's a really tough watch; part of the reason, along with the Jets' suckitude,  why I didn't bother to watch the 4th.  Baseball is losing ground because it takes forever to play even a 9 inning game, the NFL is going down the same crappy road. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

The discrepancy between officiating crews is mind-boggling.

As the Jets found out on Monday, I cringe when the Pats get Jerome Boger's crew.

The game is usually unwatchable (like Monday night) when this crew works a game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/18/monday-nights-officiating-crew-leads-the-nfl-in-penalties-called/

Saw Westhoff explain that he talks regularly to a retired ref who the Jets used in camp when he was on staff.  The idea of the rules is a penalty should only be called if it impacts the play, and how the NFL has allowed that idea to get ignored, kind of like baseball allowing umps to pull the "my strike zone" nonsense instead of the rulebook zone. Westhoff's point was Boger's crew calls a lot of PI on uncatchable balls, and lots of ticky tack nonsense all around that doesn't impact the play. Every contact between an OL guy and a defender and between a defender and a receiver doesn't have to be called, much of such contact is legally part of the game and it really should only be when it's clearly a violation and impacts the play. It slows the pace of the game to a standstill. But doesn't look like anyone in the NFL office is calling them on it. 

The product is less and less for the fans of the game, and more and more for the betting of the game. Betting has always been a big part, but they have taken it too far, out of pure greed. The rules, the officiating, the product, all of it is geared towards betting. I know so many people who care much more about their fantasy team, either season or daily, then they do about the team they used to root for. The penalties are just awful, the inconsistency, the random nature of it, the way they call them, all awful. They will allow certain teams with good Fantasy QB's OL hold, literally tackle and mug DL on every play, and never call it, and then in the same game call some BS holding call on the other team. And the ticky tack nature of the illegal contact, defensive holding calls are killing the game. The product is pretty much shot, and never will be the same. For now, its still good enough to keep people betting and watching, but will see how long it stays that way.

4 minutes ago, King P said:

If protesting the anthem before the pregame that's not even televised most of the time is a reason for you not watching, then you probably had little interest of watching anyway

Not necessarily, it's just one more thing to make people not like players.  It all adds up.

Saw Westhoff explain that he talks regularly to a retired ref who the Jets used in camp when he was on staff.  The idea of the rules is a penalty should only be called if it impacts the play, and how the NFL has allowed that idea to get ignored, kind of like baseball allowing umps to pull the "my strike zone" nonsense instead of the rulebook zone. Westhoff's point was Boger's crew calls a lot of PI on uncatchable balls, and lots of ticky tack nonsense all around that doesn't impact the play. Every contact between an OL guy and a defender and between a defender and a receiver doesn't have to be called, much of such contact is legally part of the game and it really should only be when it's clearly a violation and impacts the play. It slows the pace of the game to a standstill. But doesn't look like anyone in the NFL office is calling them on it. 

Bingo, my biggest peeve with officiating is when they call a penalty away from the play. Totally ridiculous.

Perfect example was Sunday night. Texans just made a great defensive play on 3rd and 11 down the right sideline to stop a Colts drive.

But the CB on the opposite side of the field was flagged for illegal contact for an automatic first down. WTF????!!

50 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Yes and no.

Costs are rising and disposable income is lowering and there's a lot more competition in town for your entertainment dollar/time.

So... people have less disposable income, so they're going out more instead of staying home and watching TV? Logic breakdown.

1 minute ago, PatsFanTX said:

Bingo, my biggest peeve with officiating is when they call a penalty away from the play. Totally ridiculous.

Perfect example was Sunday night. Texans just made a great defensive play on 3rd and 11 down the right sideline to stop a Colts drive.

But the CB on the opposite side of the field was flagged for illegal contact for an automatic first down. WTF????!!

Honestly, a Pats fan has no room complaining about officiating. The Pats can pull 5 HS kids to play Oline, teach them to mug the DL and they won't get called for it. Sometimes you should just take your gifts and move on.

Honestly, a Pats fan has no room complaining about officiating. The Pats can pull 5 HS kids to play Oline, teach them to mug the DL and they won't get called for it. Sometimes you should just take your gifts and move on.

You need to change your username.

You completely missed my point.

Yea, let's call more penalties to make the game more exciting.

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The ratings have nothing to do with protests. It's all about the product. Bad teams aren't getting better and people get tired of watching the same teams win all the time. Thursday games are typically not competitive. There is an over abundance of NFL games now. Three days a week is unnecessary. Him using the debates is also a poor excuse because most people would rather watch paint dry but he's got two terrible teams out there trying to get ratings. 

Some of the games are un watchable.  The Jets sucked last week, but some of the PI and defensive holding calls were really bad.  (that's not why they lost, no excuses).

You can't play defense,  you don't need games on 3-4 days a week, and you have to let people play a little bit.  The games are not as good as they were.

25 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

UN watchable.   I totally agree. 

You have all these 6'3" huge WR, tight ends that are 6'5" and up, and you can't touch them.  It sucks.  You TOUCH a QB, 15 yards.  A WR tries to get low before a hit, and a DB aiming at his chest hits his head, 15 yards.   It's not enjoyable.  My kids won't watch at all.

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The ratings have nothing to do with protests. It's all about the product. Bad teams aren't getting better and people get tired of watching the same teams win all the time. Thursday games are typically not competitive. There is an over abundance of NFL games now. Three days a week is unnecessary. Him using the debates is also a poor excuse because most people would rather watch paint dry but he's got two terrible teams out there trying to get ratings. 

The product on the field is also just terrible these days. Tons of penalties, tons of reviews, tons of commercials. Poor tackling. The games just aren't good.

I've shifted toward college football to be honest. Higher stakes, more dynamic finishes, less BS.

There were some great points brought up here about what is wrong with the game. I agree with most of them. I also think the NFL is too offensive heavy and they need to just let the defense play. It's a safer game when the DB's can hold WR's until the ball is in the air. 

But, I think the bigger concern is the lack or participation in the sport at the youth level. Across the board it is down huge. I think that kind of tells us what the future interest of the sport by adults will be. This is a trend that was starting to pick up about 6-8 years ago and has grown. Those kids are now adults and not watching. Our towns youth league is vacant and they actually started a separate league so that every kid of every body type and age who wants to play, could. Still, overall participation is about half, maybe less than it was 8 years ago.

4 hours ago, shawn306 said:

1) The games have been awful. (Sunday, Monday, Thursday Nights)

2) Other places to watch games now other than TV. 

3) Bad officiating

4) Presidential Election

5) Too much offense. (The NFL is looking like the Arena League now)

6) Tom Brady

I think its mainly #1 from your list combined with over-exposure. Sunday Morning games, Sunday 1pm games, Sunday 4pm games, Sunday night games, Monday night games, Thursday night games. When you have so many bad to average at best teams playing in spotlight games (other than 1pm on Sunday) it gets boring as hell to watch teams try to play that we have no interest in.

They need to change Thursday night games back to 8 per season or eliminate them. They should do the same with Sunday night games, cut it back to 8 per season and alternate weeks between Thursday night and Sunday night.  They need to make Monday night the marquee game each week and it should be a flex game in the second half of the season so we're not watching two bottom feeders play on Monday night in the middle of a playoff race.

oh and F*ck Tom Shady

2 minutes ago, Dumpster Fire said:

I think its mainly #1 from your list combined with over-exposure. Sunday Morning games, Sunday 1pm games, Sunday 4pm games, Sunday night games, Monday night games, Thursday night games. When you have so many bad to average at best teams playing in spotlight games (other than 1pm on Sunday) it gets boring as hell to watch teams try to play that we have no interest in.

They need to change Thursday night games back to 8 per season or eliminate them. They should do the same with Sunday night games, cut it back to 8 per season and alternate weeks between Thursday night and Sunday night.  They need to make Monday night the marquee game each week and it should be a flex game in the second half of the season so we're not watching two bottom feeders play on Monday night in the middle of a playoff race.

oh and F*ck Tom Shady

Agree with that too.

Don't saturate your market.  Always leave them wanting more.  Thursday games are crap (Outside of Thanksgiving)  

12 minutes ago, Dumpster Fire said:

oh and F*ck Tom Shady

Nice post awesome screen name. Welcome to the board . 

5 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

You do realize that offensive holding can be called on every single snap in a NFL game, right?

Is that what you want to watch?

No, but when a DL or a DE can be completely neutralized by a far inferior player by putting them in a choke hold, or by pulling them down, I'd like to see it called.

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

So... people have less disposable income, so they're going out more instead of staying home and watching TV? Logic breakdown.

Incorrect.  It's about the difficulty in attending games.  In general, this is how people become fans, and cement their fan hood.  Most people here talk about games they've attended as their first or most significant memory.  It's a typical response to the question that's often asked here, "how did you first become a Jets fan."  As it becomes more difficult to actually attend games, the overall interest drops with younger generations who find other things to do.

Archived