Roger Goodell: NFL trying to understand drop in ratings

Gas2No99

What isn't being mentioned here is that NFL ratings for Sunday are just fine, they are either flat to last year or slightly up on CBS and FOX despite cable cutting, social media, and internet streaming. 

The ratings drop is entirely a primetime concern, and the reason is that there are just not enough interesting matchups to sustain three such contests per week on Thursday, Monday, and Sunday nights.  

So while all this talk of NFL doomsday is charming, the reality is the ratings drop only affects night games and it's because there aren't enough star players to attract fans of other teams to watch.  I haven't missed a Jets game in 35 years but there is no reason for me to watch the Colts play the Titans on a Monday night.  

SAR I

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SAR I said:

What isn't being mentioned here is that NFL ratings for Sunday are just fine, they are either flat to last year or slightly up on CBS and FOX despite cable cutting, social media, and internet streaming. 

The ratings drop is entirely a primetime concern, and the reason is that there are just not enough interesting matchups to sustain three such contests per week on Thursday, Monday, and Sunday nights.  

So while all this talk of NFL doomsday is charming, the reality is the ratings drop only affects night games and it's because there aren't enough star players to attract fans of other teams to watch.  I haven't missed a Jets game in 35 years but there is no reason for me to watch the Colts play the Titans on a Monday night.  

SAR I

Didn't know that. And that is actually very good news. If it doesn't have the most-desirable effect of getting Thursday Night Football canned, perhaps it will halt , or at least slow down, the apparently inexorable march of the league toward 7-days-a-week NFL football. I really hate night games. To hell with them.

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

I don't believe any of this, gambling is simply not that important outside of a small group of degenerates

SAR I

Hey, hey, lets watch this degenerates talk. :)

Your point is correct though. The NFL is fun to bet on, but gambling just doesn't have a big enough sway in the ratings to have a major impact.  Fantasy on the other hand is becoming a major impact for some reason though.   

Nonstop ads is the biggest issue for me.

Also, way too many in game disruptions in the form of injuries, penalties, timeouts, booth reviews.

Games have no rhythm and are not fun to watch anymore. I don't think I've enjoyed one NFL game this year.

There are far too many penalties.  Don;t know idf it is coaching, officiating or rule making.  As for demonstrations, people have to understand that not everyone who watches football places sports ahead of everything else in their lives.  I think it did have an effect.

No Fun League

Stupid penalties that have nothing to do with the play of the game

1- excessive celebration after a TD -  this is the end result of why they play the game, let them enjoy it

2- Taunting - they are all grown men, you should be able to take a little trash talk.

3- Removing your helmet on the field - who cares if  you take your helmet off ( unless your Andrew Luck)

4- Fines for wearing the wrong color shoes - BS

On 10/20/2016 at 8:48 AM, JetPotato said:

As long as there has been football, people's priorities have been changing. This is not new.

this is true but he's talking about the age cohort that made football huge the past two decades.  are they getting older.

i for one watch less than i did a few years ago but that's because we have kids now.  still watch the jets game but every other game i watch i DVR and start 30-60 minutes later.  miss halftime and most commercials.

plus we gave up our tickets this year.  actually felt okay.

20 hours ago, Cap'nObvious said:

I can tell you personally, I always considered myself a hard core fan, I had season tickets forever, and would use sling box to watch the other games in the lot or on the way home. I never missed a prime time game, and during away games I was a pig in sh!t watching every game on TV. Now, I pretty much watch the Jets, and the Jets only. I gave up my season tickets, and I very rarely watch any other game besides the Jets. I just don't care about the other games anymore, nor do I care about football outside of the Jets like I used to. I think they have completely butchered the product. Even MNF which I used to love as much as the Jets game, I just don't care about it at all, and won't watch it if the Jets are not playing.

did anything in your personal life change?

On 10/20/2016 at 9:53 AM, JetPotato said:

Have to allow QBs to get hit again. no way around it. I'm sick of these offensive holds that don't get called and defenders who hold back out of constant fear of a 15 yard penalty. QBs are supposed to be football players, I don't see why they deserve more protection than any other player on the field. Especially ridiculous are the Jordan Rules. Same rules for all players. No one was looking to reinvent the league when Jim Burt pummeled Joe Montana. That was a legendary play. When was the last one of those? I miss football.

the casual fans want the stars.  the stars are often QB.  can't be stars if they are on IR.

On 10/20/2016 at 11:46 AM, PatsFanTX said:

Bingo, my biggest peeve with officiating is when they call a penalty away from the play. Totally ridiculous.

Perfect example was Sunday night. Texans just made a great defensive play on 3rd and 11 down the right sideline to stop a Colts drive.

But the CB on the opposite side of the field was flagged for illegal contact for an automatic first down. WTF????!!

but what if the QB wanted to throw to that side but the illegal contact made him go to the other side.

It's pretty simple, younger generations are just not watching television anymore. They've adopted other mediums to view their programs. I would surmise the percentage of viewers watching football compared to people watching television has remained static. The NFL needs to start allowing their program to be viewed on other platforms or they risk a large fallout when the older generations are no longer around. 

If it weren't for fantasy football the NFL would be f*cked! NFL fans are sick of the Patriots. They are sick of seeing the same teams vying for Super Bowls. And then when one gets close like Carolina, you have to watch their idiot QB & his dumb Superman routine, and then when he's losing turn into a complete and utter quitter! There just aren't that many people to like anymore in the NFL. Look at them all, Brady is smirker, you know the type (hey, I'm classy but deep down I'm just a sore loser, but when I'm winning I'm spiking balls in your face, and pointing at your bench, but when I'm losing, I'm screaming at the refs, and asking for holds on every incompletion). People outside of New England can't stand f*cking Brady.

Aaron Rogers is a cocky azzhole. Drew Brees seems like an awesome guy but he demanded 30 million dollars so the Saints can't field any semblance of a defense. Rivers is just playing out string, Eli has got to be one of the most overrated QBs ever, winning 2 Bowls on just ridiculously great catches & great defense and being lucky that Wes Welker is 5'-6".

Plus my two biggest beefs, one, offensive holding on the Olines. It's gotten ridiculous & it's obvious to any observer the NFL protects its star QBs this way. Last night Clay Matthews flung down Hoyer WAY AFTER the ball was gone, no penalty? I was sitting there saying, no way in hell does Matthews flings down Brady that late & not get a flag, NO WAY! NFL fans know this & their just tired of it. Second is the holding & PI in the secondary. It's just so arbitrary it makes zero sense. Gruden spoke for every Jet fan last Monday Night when he said, "I just don't see it" after a few UNTIMELY 3rd down penalties were called on the Jets.

Thank you John Gruden! You spoke for every fan in Jet Nation & the NFL wonders why people say FU & turn the TV off!

On October 20, 2016 at 7:50 AM, Cornfed said:

That plus I am simply way more busy than I used to be.  With priorities that can't wait. Could it be that the core generation that made the NFL unprecedentedly popular is simply aging? With kids, more job demands, sick parents, etc?

sad but true....most people can't binge watch football from 1pm thru midnight like they did in their teens and 20's

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

If it weren't for fantasy football the NFL would be f*cked! NFL fans are sick of the Patriots. They are sick of seeing the same teams vying for Super Bowls. And then when one gets close like Carolina, you have to watch their idiot QB & his dumb Superman routine, and then when he's losing turn into a complete and utter quitter! There just aren't that many people to like anymore in the NFL. Look at them all, Brady is smirker, you know the type (hey, I'm classy but deep down I'm just a sore loser, but when I'm winning I'm spiking balls in your face, and pointing at your bench, but when I'm losing, I'm screaming at the refs, and asking for holds on every incompletion). People outside of New England can't stand f*cking Brady.

Aaron Rogers is a cocky azzhole. Drew Brees seems like an awesome guy but he demanded 30 million dollars so the Saints can't field any semblance of a defense. Rivers is just playing out string, Eli has got to be one of the most overrated QBs ever, winning 2 Bowls on just ridiculously great catches & great defense and being lucky that Wes Welker is 5'-6".

Plus my two biggest beefs, one, offensive holding on the Olines. It's gotten ridiculous & it's obvious to any observer the NFL protects its star QBs this way. Last night Clay Matthews flung down Hoyer WAY AFTER the ball was gone, no penalty? I was sitting there saying, no way in hell does Matthews flings down Brady that late & not get a flag, NO WAY! NFL fans know this & their just tired of it. Second is the holding & PI in the secondary. It's just so arbitrary it makes zero sense. Gruden spoke for every Jet fan last Monday Night when he said, "I just don't see it" after a few UNTIMELY 3rd down penalties were called on the Jets.

Thank you John Gruden! You spoke for every fan in Jet Nation & the NFL wonders why people say FU & turn the TV off!

You obviously have some deeper issues at hand here.

NFL fans are not sick of the Patriots.  They want to be there when they fall.  Just like they were for the 49ers, Cowboys, Steelers and Phins before them.  18 of the 32 teams have been to the Superbowl since 2000.  Want to guess one of the 14?  ;)

I Agree with your point that the rules have become so convoluted that refs are struggling with ever change that is implemented.  Does anyone know what a catch is anymore?

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

You obviously have some deeper issues at hand here.

NFL fans are not sick of the Patriots.  They want to be there when they fall.  Just like they were for the 49ers, Cowboys, Steelers and Phins before them.  18 of the 32 teams have been to the Superbowl since 2000.  Want to guess one of the 14?  ;)

He's on a Jets fan forum venting about a rival team. 

You come here as a fan of that rival team and feel the need to point out that the Jets haven't been to the super bowl since 2000. I'll do you one better - they have been since 1969. Feel accomplished?

"Deeper issues at hand" indeed.

Archived