Fitz not happy about being benched

JustInFudge

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Geno Smith's Bust is the reason we are 1-5 and headed to the dumpster, by Year 4 he was supposed to be our franchise quarterback and the only way he gets a start now is off the crumbs of a scrub journeyman.

I like your quote "cheer your team regardless of who is the QB" as those are words I would have liked you to live by during the first six weeks of the season.

SAR I

I did and I suffered doing so because Ryan Fitzpatrick failed me and hurt me deeply also the team and other fans, 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Trash post by a trash poster. Taking joy from someone else's misfortunes is being a terrible human. He didn't do anything to you personally and the fact you take it that way says more about you than it does him. And if you think he's out of the league next year, that's a farce. Matt freakin' Barkley and many other terrible QBs are in the league right now. He's got another 2-3 years of back up years if he wants them. 

Shave the beard bag up the jersey drop off at a clothing bin box its over he's done. 

12 minutes ago, August said:

1. Where else is Geno going to go that has an immediate open starting job? Maybe the Bears? But they will definitely be drafting a QB in round 1. And they have Hoyer/Culter as a bridge until that young QB is ready. His best bet for being a starter is right here in NY. He's not going anywhere unless the Jets let him walk. 

2. Geno playing well IS good for the Jets, you simply just prefer to see Petty which is fine.

1. Returning here does not guarantee him a starting job. He's not getting a starter's contract from anyone. Not the Jets, not the Bears, not anyone. However he could get multiple offers as a backup on a team with a shaky starter situation. The Bears are one example. So are the 49ers. Plus things can change with other teams between now and January.

2. I prefer to see someone who will be here next year, to see things one way or the other. The Jets are not re-signing Geno with a starter's contract no matter how much you may wish it to be so.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Can anyone provide a link where Geno Smith openly complained to the media about not starting. 

He did show his anger last game and rightfully so Fitzpatrick was and is terrible and like many we have seen enough. 

I want to make sure I didnt miss something. 

Thanks 

So if he doesn't complain to the media it's all ok? He acted like a big baby. Not to be outdone, Bowles is rewarding him for acting like a big baby.

This franchise is ****ed from the top on down and needs no less housecleaning than it needed in January of 2015. 

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So if he doesn't complain to the media it's all ok? He acted like a big baby. Not to be outdone, Bowles is rewarding him for acting like a big baby.

This franchise is ****ed from the top on down and needs no less housecleaning than it needed in January of 2015. 

He did throw a sideline tantrum yes I agree but I dont recall anything in the media where he openly complained to a reporter. I thought I missed it, 

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. Returning here does not guarantee him a starting job. He's not getting a starter's contract from anyone. Not the Jets, not the Bears, not anyone. However he could get multiple offers as a backup on a team with a shaky starter situation. The Bears are one example. So are the 49ers. Plus things can change with other teams between now and January.

2. I prefer to see someone who will be here next year, to see things one way or the other. The Jets are not re-signing Geno with a starter's contract no matter how much you may wish it to be so.

If he plays well this year then it'll be Geno's job to lose. So yes he would be the starter for 2017 until injury or poor play. I know that's a scenario that you don't want but logically that makes the most sense. We are not in a position to discard young QB's that show promise because fans and media don't like him or in your case prefer another QB on the roster. 

It's too early to say the 49ers might need a QB, they have Kaepernick and they might draft a QB if Kaepernick flops. The argument is if he plays well there would be other teams that would offer him an immediate starting job, and I'm saying that there are no openings unless there is an injury and certain teams that would have an opening will probably draft a QB. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

He did throw a sideline tantrum yes I agree but I dont recall anything in the media where he openly complained to a reporter. I thought i missed it, 

In practical terms, what's the difference? Both are bad, as was him tweeting a sad face following the KC game. For all we know that got his teammates pissed off and somewhat stopped Bowles from going to him even sooner. A backup should be silent except for 5-10 canned responses he can get from reading what other backups say. They should be so boring that reporters stop asking, and then there is no foot-in-mouth comment from a player who isn't even playing.

Right now I think there is a terrible void of leadership on the team (and Geno isn't going to fill it). It starts with the head coach.

We have 3 QBs and all of them have been either visibly showing or outright talking about their disgust/displeasure with someone else starting instead. Fine to think it, not fine to say/show it to the public. 

Bowles should meet with his 2 current backups and tell them they are to shut the **** up. That he decides who's starting and if they don't like it then they should quit. But no faces, no "it should be meeeeeeeee" comments to reporters or on Twitter. Practice hard, help the guy who's out there, and shut their ****ing traps. They'll get onto the playing field when he tells them they're going onto the field. If any of them were playing or practicing at an elite level they'd be out there already.

He should have done it the moment he named the week 1 starters, but obviously he didn't.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

In practical terms, what's the difference? Both are bad, as was him tweeting a sad face following the KC game. For all we know that got his teammates pissed off and somewhat stopped Bowles from going to him even sooner. A backup should be silent except for 5-10 canned responses he can get from reading what other backups say. They should be so boring that reporters stop asking, and then there is no foot-in-mouth comment from a player who isn't even playing.

Right now I think there is a terrible void of leadership on the team (and Geno isn't going to fill it). It starts with the head coach.

We have 3 QBs and all of them have been either visibly showing or outright talking about their disgust/displeasure with someone else starting instead. Fine to think it, not fine to say/show it to the public. 

Bowles should meet with his 2 current backups and tell them they are to shut the **** up. That he decides who's starting and if they don't like it then they should quit. But no faces, no "it should be meeeeeeeee" comments to reporters or on Twitter. Practice hard, help the guy who's out there, and shut their ****ing traps. They'll get onto the playing field when he tells them they're going onto the field. If any of them were playing or practicing at an elite level they'd be out there already.

He should have done it the moment he named the week 1 starters, but obviously he didn't.

Winning fixes everything Sperm losing brings out the worst in people. We are 1-5 the season isn't over. Lets hope for the best. 

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

No one to blame but yourself Fitzy.

Maybe that long offseason holdout was a bad idea, eh?  Maybe, just maybe, you should have accepted less and showed up, and worked all offseason.

Take a seat and STFU.  You had your chance, and you blew it.

Agree 100% - question is when should Mac go back for the 3m per year extension, spread the dead money for 2017 and provide a vet back up for Petty, Hack, etc...

He was high when he held out but now he is down and turnabout is fair play

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree 100% - question is when should Mac go back for the 3m per year extension, spread the dead money for 2017 and provide a vet back up for Petty, Hack, etc...

He was high when he held out but now he is low and turnabout is fair play

NEVER

10 minutes ago, August said:

If he plays well this year then it'll be Geno's job to lose. So yes he would be the starter for 2017 until injury or poor play. I know that's a scenario that you don't want but logically that makes the most sense. We are not in a position to discard young QB's that show promise because fans and media don't like him or in your case prefer another QB on the roster. 

It's too early to say the 49ers might need a QB, they have Kaepernick and they might draft a QB if Kaepernick flops. The argument is if he plays well there would be other teams that would offer him an immediate starting job, and I'm saying that there are no openings unless there is an injury and certain teams that would have an opening will probably draft a QB. 

No it will not. You just want it to be so. To overcome his own history and secure a new contract for a starting job for the following season, he would need to play elite not merely "well" this year. Inertia isn't going to do it because his contract is up.

Nobody will sign him to be the starter in March, even if he goes on a bit of a decent run against the soft part of the schedule this year. Nobody. He's made a mockery of his coaches' decisions with his faces, and this staff and others are all aware of it. Just as they were aware of his pissing on his starting opportunity a year earlier, sulking at the draft, his other indiscretions in between those events.

He could, however, secure a decent-money backup job in the $5M range, and hope for another opportunity (like Fitz has made a career of doing). 

Lol at the idea that we have an opening at starter that will/should remain open for Geno in 2017, but other teams' openings will be filled with draft picks or their own crappy QBs they undoubtedly want to replace.

If someone - including the Jets - sign him to a starter's contract for 2017 after merely playing "well" then you can tell me "I told you so."

46 minutes ago, August said:

The bolded part is just incorrect.   It will not be his job to lose, he will not be under contract.  

Unless Petty is given a fair window this year, and poops the bed, he will still be on the roster.  For sure Hack will be on the roster.  

Odds are very high the Jets will be looking for a vet starter.  If the season really goes sideways they will take a top 5 QB.   

Unless he goes like 9-1 and gets the Jets to the playoffs, (odds of that are astronomical)   he will be an after thought as far as giving him a long term stating contract.  A team like Miami, even though they have given Tannehill a long term contract  might be interested in smith as a back up, and an insurance policy.  It happens to be smith's home town, and he has played fairly well there.

There are other options for the Jets like Mike Glennon, Case Keenum, Shaun Hill, ect.  None of them really ring a bell but are better options then smith at this point.

Another question is, why would smith want to come back here?  NY has not been a lot of fun for smith.  I'm sure in his mind he feels he has been very badly treated.  Many of the scribes openly hate him.  Many of the fans hate him and are just waiting for him to screw up,

It would be a very bad career move for smith to come back to NY no

matter what he does this year.  If he plays the way he has in the past, and sucks, he won't be invited back.  If he shows some improvement, and there is interest elsewhere,  if he has a brain he'll be out of town on the first bus.

Either way, it is a very long shot he'll be a NY Jet next season

38 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

He was high when he held out but now he is down and turnabout is fair play

Unlikely, but I suppose it is possible if Petty is given a chance, and shows he can be a  a starter.    Still don't see it. Along with smith,  Fitz is likely done here

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No it will not. You just want it to be so. To overcome his own history and secure a new contract for a starting job for the following season, he would need to play elite not merely "well" this year. Inertia isn't going to do it because his contract is up.

Nobody will sign him to be the starter in March, even if he goes on a bit of a decent run against the soft part of the schedule this year. Nobody. He's made a mockery of his coaches' decisions with his faces, and this staff and others are all aware of it. Just as they were aware of his pissing on his starting opportunity a year earlier, sulking at the draft, his other indiscretions in between those events.

He could, however, secure a decent-money backup job in the $5M range, and hope for another opportunity (like Fitz has made a career of doing). 

Lol at the idea that we have an opening at starter that will/should remain open for Geno in 2017, but other teams' openings will be filled with draft picks or their own crappy QBs they undoubtedly want to replace.

If someone - including the Jets - sign him to a starter's contract for 2017 after merely playing "well" then you can tell me "I told you so."

I highly doubt they are expecting him to be elite that's ridiculous. All they want to see is if he can progress and play well and look like he can continue to progress and get better. Like i said in my previous post we are not in a position to discard Geno if he shows us some potential and promise. He won't command big money either. 7-8 million dollars on a 1 year prove it deal. If he takes a step up next year then he'll command a big money contract. If Geno starts the entire season and looks good it makes little to no sense to let him walk especially considering that Petty and Hackenberg are both unproven. If he fails then we see Petty. It makes sense to give Geno one more chance to make sure that we're making the right decision to let him walk. 

Just now, August said:

I highly doubt they are expecting him to be elite that's ridiculous. All they want to see is if he can progress and play well and look like he can continue to progress and get better. Like i said in my previous post we are not in a position to discard Geno if he shows us some potential and promise. He won't command big money either. 7-8 million dollars on a 1 year prove it deal. If he takes a step up next year then he'll command a big money contract. If Geno starts the entire season and looks good it makes little to no sense to let him walk especially considering that Petty and Hackenberg are both unproven. If he fails then we see Petty. It makes sense to give Geno one more chance to make sure that we're making the right decision to let him walk. 

I don't know what they're expecting. Most likely I expect him to just be better than Petty because they can't afford the personal risk to rack up more losses just to find out that Bryce Petty isn't very good. 

There is no way, absent an elite or near-elite performance, that anyone offers him a starting job next season. The best he could possibly hope for is an opportunity to compete, before that team drafts a QB a month later. He will not get an $8M/year contract. You are kidding yourself, especially in ignoring the off-field baggage he carries with this team, and the lack of players sticking up for him after getting hit by a neanderthal who belongs in jail, followed by the celebration of the return of a career loser in Fitzpatrick, should give a hint into that. They're also all aware of his stupid tweet, his moping/pacing on the sideline, and other things that point to a general instability independent of his physical ability. He will need to be more or less elite to whitewash all that in a mere 10 games.

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know what they're expecting. Most likely I expect him to just be better than Petty because they can't afford the personal risk to rack up more losses just to find out that Bryce Petty isn't very good. 

There is no way, absent an elite or near-elite performance, that anyone offers him a starting job next season. The best he could possibly hope for is an opportunity to compete, before that team drafts a QB a month later. He will not get an $8M/year contract. You are kidding yourself, especially in ignoring the off-field baggage he carries with this team, and the lack of players sticking up for him after getting hit by a neanderthal who belongs in jail, followed by the celebration of the return of a career loser in Fitzpatrick, should give a hint into that. They're also all aware of his stupid tweet, his moping/pacing on the sideline, and other things that point to a general instability independent of his physical ability. He will need to be more or less elite to whitewash all that in a mere 10 games.

You do know that 5-8 million dollars is backup QB money right? Anyway you proved my point no one will be offering him a starting job, so his best bet is here. And the past is the past, let's see how he does now. 

9 minutes ago, August said:

You do know that 5-8 million dollars is backup QB money right? Anyway you proved my point no one will be offering him a starting job, so his best bet is here. And the past is the past, let's see how he does now. 

What designed backup signs for $8M per season? The only one close is the laughingstock of a contract the Eagles gave Chase Daniel. That was given with the hope he would be the starter if/when Bradford got injured. Had they known they were going to be able to trade up to #2 for Wentz they'd have signed neither, and they certainly wouldn't have given Daniel that silly deal.

Next one in this range is RGIII, who was signed to start.

Next-highest non-starter is Josh McCown at under $5M, on the same team that - like the Eagles - was flinging mud against the wall.

So I don't know where you get this idea from. And I also see you moving the goalposts from $7-8M now down to $5-8M. I agree Geno could get $5M per next year. And it won't be as a team's starter unless something unrelated leads to that.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Trash post by a trash poster. Taking joy from someone else's misfortunes is being a terrible human. He didn't do anything to you personally and the fact you take it that way says more about you than it does him. And if you think he's out of the league next year, that's a farce. Matt freakin' Barkley and many other terrible QBs are in the league right now. He's got another 2-3 years of back up years if he wants them. 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I actually agree with this 100%, but how do we make the defense accountable as a next step? Because QB is just the tip of the spear that got shoved through our heats this season.

Well hopefully some better QB play will spur on the team overall.

Who know, maybe the D will get more rest and play more inspired.  We know the talent is here and that Bowles is a good defensive coach.

Find out over the next few weeks I suppose.

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What designed backup signs for $8M per season? The only one close is the laughingstock of a contract the Eagles gave Chase Daniel. That was given with the hope he would be the starter if/when Bradford got injured. Had they known they were going to be able to trade up to #2 for Wentz they'd have signed neither, and they certainly wouldn't have given Daniel that silly deal.

Next one in this range is RGIII, who was signed to start.

Next-highest non-starter is Josh McCown at under $5M, on the same team that - like the Eagles - was flinging mud against the wall.

So I don't know where you get this idea from. And I also see you moving the goalposts from $7-8M now down to $5-8M. I agree Geno could get $5M per next year. And it won't be as a team's starter unless something unrelated leads to that.

Bottom line is that backup QB money is in the 5-8 million dollar range. He'll get something around that range and it'll be for one year and it would be his job to lose. Just like it was Fitzpatrick's job to lose until he lost it. There will not be a competition next year if he plays well this year. 

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Geno was worse than number 32 in 2013 and 2014. That's right. He was rated worse than some backups that saw significant time. 

In 2013, he was a 2nd round rookie thrust into the starting lineup due to an injury. He was ranked 21st in yardage, 26th in TDs and ints, and 25th in QBR. He also had the MOST game winning drives that year but you've already forgotten that Im sure. Not the most stellar QB, of course, but certainly not the worst.

In 2014, he was ranked 25th in yards, TDs and QB Ratings, 18th in ints, and 24th in QBR. He also had two game winning drives, which were two more than Ryan sh*tzpatrick's. 

On average, Geno has one game winning drive per 4 games started (7 out of 29). Fitz has one in ten, almost (12 in 119). Something tells me Fitz will sh*t the bed far more often than Geno. So yeah Carl, you're wrong as always. 

5 hours ago, neckdemon said:

the team sucks and fitzpatrick is complete sh*t. we aren't going to win games with that ******* loser with his sh*t arm and sh*t decisions. might as well give geno a couple games and then when he sucks give petty a few games. get used to it, the jets are a bad team. bowles is sh*t also and needs to go. macaggnan might have to go too. 

I can't disagree with any of this, but we'd be feeling better had we opened 2-0 and then lost the three everyone knew we were going to lose, perhaps have more confidence against Seattle.

The Jets are a bad team but much of it is out of a culture of the frustration of losing, these things happen when losses pile up.  We aren't as bad as we look.  The next few weeks of weaker opponents should show that.

SAR I

5 hours ago, faba said:

fitz was supposed to be a stopgap- exactly until we acquire a bonafide starter or develop a QB from the draft- he knew this or should have instead of being delusional so no crying

+1

Same for the fans who were delusional enough to think that with this team and this schedule we were going to have a successful September and October.

SAR I

Archived