Bryce Petty wants to play.

Patriot Killa

4 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Petty is a fourth round draft choice for a reason but one thing I recall everyone saying when we drafted him that he may be, if given the time to develop, different.

Here someone else who thought the same thing......

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476322/article/jon-gruden-bryce-petty-might-have-the-best-arm-talent-in-draft

Petty, who measured 6-foot-2 7/8 and 230 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine, threw for 8,055 yards and 61 TDs (against 10 interceptions) in his two seasons as Baylor's starter. Gruden calls him "a great passer."

Petty ran a spread offense at Baylor and there are questions about him transitioning to a pro-style attack, but Gruden doesn't seem to share those concerns. He says Petty has been "stereotyped in the Baylor offense, but he's different."

Siemian was drafted at the bottom of the 7th round of the same draft. It's ok for him to be the opening day starter, but it's not ok for Petty to be the opening day backup QB. He has to be 3rd string behind two failures.

That's the HC + GM being pu****s.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's truly sad on Geno's part and on the part of this fan base that so many are not even willing to entertain the possibility that this kid could develop into  what we all want . What's worse, is I think this kid is so hated by the fans that if he went out and lead the Jets to victories in every single game remaining, he would still be hated and wanted off this team .  

12 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

It's truly sad on Geno's part and on the part of this fan base that so many are not even willing to entertain the possibility that this kid could develop into  what we all want . What's worse, is I think this kid is so hated by the fans that if he went out and lead the Jets to victories in every single game remaining, he would still be hated and wanted off this team .  

Lol I certainly don't hate him. I just think that ship has sailed. I don't see any way he returns to the Jets. Not if he's good, not if he's bad. He would have to be incredible, to the point where we franchise him to prevent him from leaving against his will. If he performs well enough to get another Jets contract you think he's going to stay here instead of going someplace he's got a clean slate? If it was you, would you stay here? And again, that's if he is so much better that we (or anyone) would want him as the starter.

So I just don't see the point other than satisfying a sense of fairness because he was the #2 all year. IMO they pissed away another opportunity to cut him loose after he made an ass of himself on the sideline, citing reasons akin to his undermining the coach. Not that I hate him so, but rather it would have provided ample justification to go straight from Fitz to Petty right away.

I understand where you're coming from, but I just can't envision a scenario whereby he returns here instead of opting for a clean slate elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

We have Eli Manning on the Jets already .  His name is Christian Hackenberg . Just relax and wait . 

Tin I really , really hope your right on this.  He seems to be a really nice kid.  He has all the tools.  

I've seen him play many times over the last few years.  Yep.  He's got an arm, but UGH.   Like I said, I really hope your right

30 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Siemian was drafted at the bottom of the 7th round of the same draft. It's ok for him to be the opening day starter, but it's not ok for Petty to be the opening day backup QB. He has to be 3rd string behind two failures.

That's the HC + GM being pu****s.

You maybe right..

And the one thing that can come out of all this is that if Petty starts and goes on to play well no one can argue that Petty was just "given" the job.

No, he will have earned it!!!

17 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

You maybe right..

And the one thing that can come out of all this is that if Petty starts and goes on to play well no one can argue that Petty was just "given" the job.

No, he will have earned it!!!

That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is just that the 2 guys ahead of him each earned the bench, and he was the next man up.

I understand the concept of "next man up". Geno has been the listed #2 qb all year. Stands to reason he gets next chance.

That being said, Petty needs to start getting more reps in practice. Splitting scout team reps with Hack is not nearly giving him the chance to significantly improve his game. 

If the coaching staff wants to move Geno to #1, they need to move Petty to #2. 

This will increase his practice throws significantly. Since Fitz will probably not see the field again this year anyway, he needs to slide down the depth chart.

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is just that the 2 guys ahead of him each earned the bench, and he was the next man up.

LOL

That's what I like.  Always look at the bright side :)  

7 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

Please start Petty ASAP. Not that Petty is the answer. At least we know Geno or Fitz aren't the answers. Don't waste valuable reps on Geno/Fitz. Give the young guys a chance to prove themselves in a lost season. 

Hopefully, Geno gets pulled at the half (if not sooner) and we go with Petty from there.

2 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Hopefully, Geno gets pulled at the half (if not sooner) and we go with Petty from there.

Doubt that happens. They will probably give Geno 2-3 games of evaluation and if he plays poor maybe pull him a week early. Doubt he gets pulled half time with Petty just getting back in the swing of thing's unless Geno throws like 3 picks in the 1st half or something.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Doubt that happens. They will probably give Geno 2-3 games of evaluation and if he plays poor maybe pull him a week early. Doubt he gets pulled half time with Petty just getting back in the swing of thing's unless Geno throws like 3 picks in the 1st half or something.

Ha ya not a chance.. He is going to get at least 3 -4 games.. Then we are mathematically out of of playoffs when  we lose all 3. Petty and hack can use the rest of the season to audition for 17. They won't go back to fitzgarbage 

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ha ya not a chance.. He is going to get at least 3 -4 games.. Then we are mathematically out of of playoffs when  we lose all 3. Petty and hack can use the rest of the season to audition for 17. They won't go back to fitzgarbage 

Huh? Lol I literally just said that...

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Evaluate what? Geno's evaluation period passed months ago. He's only starting because Petty got hurt. As soon as Petty is fully healed and cleared to return, Geno will return to clipboard duty. 

4 hours ago, Powpow said:

Evaluate what? Geno's evaluation period passed months ago. He's only starting because Petty got hurt. As soon as Petty is fully healed and cleared to return, Geno will return to clipboard duty. 

Petty is fully healed and has been for almost two weeks. It's getting more reps since his long absence, after the preseason game he was injured in. Do I think Geno stays in our plans? Of course not. But the evaluation process will go by A. If he wins B. If the offense catches a spark and C. Individual success/stats. If he shows up I'm willing to bet they don't pull him for the rest of the season depending on if they feel at that point the season can be salvaged. I want Petty in also but that also has depending factors too.

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I meant they are not pulling geno after 1 bad half no matter how bad it is. he is going to get some free rope here, nothing like the long rope we have fitz to hang himself.. 

Eh...don't be too sure of that. When you have a guy as careless with the ball as Geno can be. Turnovers will make a coach re-think his own patience. Trust me, the team won't put up with 3 interceptions and a sack fumble in the first half if that comes true. They won't be leaving a guy in for the same reason they took the other out. Will he have a leash? Yeah, but don't expect it to be a 80ft leash when the offense still can't move the ball.

12 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Petty is fully healed and has been for almost two weeks. It's getting more reps since his long absence, after the preseason game he was injured in. Do I think Geno stays in our plans? Of course not. But the evaluation process will go by A. If he wins B. If the offense catches a spark and C. Individual success/stats. If he shows up I'm willing to bet they don't pull him for the rest of the season depending on if they feel at that point the season can be salvaged. I want Petty in also but that also has depending factors too.

Salvaged? 

imagejpeg

That would be really really really really dumb considering he is history after this year.  

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And he actually may have been if he didn't injure his shoulder in the preseason.  He only was able to start practicing last week, couldn't be ready for a game this week.  This was all about getting Fitz out of there.  Geno, unless he somehow plays lights out, he's just holding the position until Petty is ready in a couple of weeks. 

10 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Salvaged? 

imagejpeg

That would be really really really really dumb considering he is history after this year.  

I'm not saying it can be. But from the head coaches perspective he won't give up on the season until mathmatically eliminated and if W's start coming in....do you change? No.

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol I certainly don't hate him. I just think that ship has sailed. I don't see any way he returns to the Jets. Not if he's good, not if he's bad. He would have to be incredible, to the point where we franchise him to prevent him from leaving against his will. If he performs well enough to get another Jets contract you think he's going to stay here instead of going someplace he's got a clean slate? If it was you, would you stay here? And again, that's if he is so much better that we (or anyone) would want him as the starter.

So I just don't see the point other than satisfying a sense of fairness because he was the #2 all year. IMO they pissed away another opportunity to cut him loose after he made an ass of himself on the sideline, citing reasons akin to his undermining the coach. Not that I hate him so, but rather it would have provided ample justification to go straight from Fitz to Petty right away.

I understand where you're coming from, but I just can't envision a scenario whereby he returns here instead of opting for a clean slate elsewhere.

Geno would be a fool to stay here beyond this year unless it's his only NFL option . Even then, Canada would be a better option .

Neither can I . I would have kept Fitzpatrick the starter until Petty was ready to play .

I don't think Geno has been a very good QB, but I also know that the situation he was put in was not favorable .The guy was unprepared to be an NFL starter coming out of WVU. He was forced into starting and failed miserably as we all know . He started for 2 years, had 2 different OC and put up some of the worst #s a starting QB can produce .  This was his second year under the same OC after sitting behind a Veteran for a year and with the experience he already had as an NFL starter . He got all the spring reps and this was the year to find out what he was before moving onto Bryce Petty . What we're doing now, is a waste of time, but hating this kid on a personal level because of what he did on a football field is IMO not about football . 

Last night on the NY sportsnite, I sat and listen to a talking head say he doesn't like Geno Smith . It would have been interesting to hear his response had someone asked him why . It's ok to dislike what this kid has displayed as the QB of the Jets.  It's ok to take offense to his actions on the sidelines, but unless you have a personal relationship with this kid, why the hate ? Geno Smith has done absolutely nothing to me personally, so I can sit here and say that I hope he plays well and wish him well in his future endeavors, where-ever those may be  . 

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And he actually may have been if he didn't injure his shoulder in the preseason.  He only was able to start practicing last week, couldn't be ready for a game this week.  This was all about getting Fitz out of there.  Geno, unless he somehow plays lights out, he's just holding the position until Petty is ready in a couple of weeks. 

Maybe, maybe not. All we know is he was activated to practicing last week. That doesn't necessarily mean he was only able to start practicing last week. 

I know he's young and as such is filled with youthful enthusiasm, but if I heard even one comment from him that he's "just about" up to speed (i.e. not quite there yet) I might be more inclined to agree that he couldn't go out there. But he's talking like someone who feels he is readypetty right now. 

Not to mention this whole thing is a mess borne of poor planning from the get go. Anyway I'd again be surprised to see him on the field prior to the bye week. Bowles seems just like this kind of slow-dealer. 

1 hour ago, mkajet01 said:

If u base who starting qb is on preseason performance then petty should have been

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

if you based it on preseason performance Fitz wouldn't have started the season as the number 1 or number 2 QB.  He was terrible this preseason. 

10 hours ago, flgreen said:

Tin I really , really hope your right on this.  He seems to be a really nice kid.  He has all the tools.  

I've seen him play many times over the last few years.  Yep.  He's got an arm, but UGH.   Like I said, I really hope your right

Nothing to be right or wrong about.  I wanted the kid to have a shot with the proper seasoning and he has that. The rest is up to him . The hardest thing for him to do would be to succeed and come back here knowing how this fan base feels about him, but it would go even further to disprove the narrative about him .

I was once young, and now I am older, and in all my years, I have never meet a dumb old person . I know some that have made mistakes, but with age comes experience and greater understanding .  The choices we make are not because of a lack of understanding, but because we chose to make that choice ..

I don't understand some of the choices made on this site with the personal attacks, or maybe I do .

19 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Geno would be a fool to stay here beyond this year unless it's his only NFL option . Even then, Canada would be a better option .

Neither can I . I would have kept Fitzpatrick the starter until Petty was ready to play .

I don't think Geno has been a very good QB, but I also know that the situation he was put in was not favorable .The guy was unprepared to be an NFL starter coming out of WVU. He was forced into starting and failed miserably as we all know . He started for 2 years, had 2 different OC and put up some of the worst #s a starting QB can produce .  This was his second year under the same OC after sitting behind a Veteran for a year and with the experience he already had as an NFL starter . He got all the spring reps and this was the year to find out what he was before moving onto Bryce Petty . What we're doing now, is a waste of time, but hating this kid on a personal level because of what he did on a football field is IMO not about football . 

Last night on the NY sportsnite, I sat and listen to a talking head say he doesn't like Geno Smith . It would have been interesting to hear his response had someone asked him why . It's ok to dislike what this kid has displayed as the QB of the Jets.  It's ok to take offense to his actions on the sidelines, but unless you have a personal relationship with this kid, why the hate ? Geno Smith has done absolutely nothing to me personally, so I can sit here and say that I hope he plays well and wish him well in his future endeavors, where-ever those may be  . 

You two should get a room. 

41 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I take the opposite point of view with him. I take this view with every player we give up on: I hope he sucks everywhere. 

The last thing I want to find out is the Jets gave up on someone - particularly a QB - they should have kept. It's why I never understood this rooting for Mark Sanchez with the Eagles (and then with the Broncos). Wouldn't you want to know the Jets made the right move by cutting ties with him? Who would desire years of additional misery while we're juggling Fitzloman babbling about how well liked he is, before getting to Geno Sadface. 

I'm not going to get into anything with other people talking of him like he was more to them than merely a bad QB. I was actually football-depressed for a couple of weeks when we extended Sanchez and was happier when he was cut (even with Geno doing the opposite of panning out himself). I don't wish anything bad to happen to him personally, but you can bet I never want to see him turn into a good QB (not that there was really much danger of that happening anyhow).  

Granted he was in a bad situation coming into the league. I don't care anymore. In his 4th season he's still not behaving like a team leader everyone should look up to. I get wanting to play while he's on the bench. I don't get his childish sad face tweets and that ridiculous pacing and facemaking and sulking and moping on the sideline, knowing it's a nationally televised game to boot. If he's got to publicly rub his temples with his hands to make the stress and aggravation of being a backup go away...do I need to finish this sentence? What he's saying is "my coaches are idiots" and while I don't disagree, this behavior is tantamount to insubordination and should not be rewarded.

He doesn't deserve any playing time. Neither does the man he's replacing. Playing time should be earned or represent the team's best interest for the future (ideally both, if the team possesses such a player). 

If Petty simply cannot be on the field, fine. But the last thing I want is him to have an excuse to be out there even one game longer than when Petty is able to.  I have no idea if Petty will be a Genosanchez shake on the field. Point is the team needs to see him control the huddle with the starters and react to live action and pass rushes and getting hit. And they need to see it as much as possible before the offseason. 

4 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

So Joe's analysis is better than an actual ex HC (Gruden). 

I just want this kid to get a chance.

At one point in the evaluation, some folks believed that Geno Smith was going to be the 1st overall pick in the draft.  He became a 2nd round pick . Correct me if I am wrong, but did anyone ever even consider Bryce Petty anything but a late round pick  ?

I want to see Bryce Petty play and I hope he does well , because I know what will happen if he doesn't . He's not ready because he was hurt, and the Jets made a decision to start the only other QB who could replace the ineffective Fitzpatrick that was on the roster . I say give Geno 4 weeks, and if the team still sucks, Give Petty his shot . This team is going to be about Hackenberg, so IMO, Bryce Petty will be proving to the Jets if he can be a solid backup option .

Archived