Bryce Petty wants to play.

Patriot Killa

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/bryce-petty-shot-qb-jets-wait-article-1.2838320

The Jets quarterback quandary will wind through Geno Smith before the inevitable next stop during this lost season: Bryce Petty's time is coming.

The second-year quarterback offers this star-crossed franchise some hope for the future. Thetemporary transition from Ryan Fitzpatrick to the erratic Smith is doomed to fail. Petty will be next in line to show team decision makers that he deserves serious consideration to compete for the starting job in 2017.

"To this point, I've been taking advantage of the checks," a candid Petty told the Daily News. "I want to contribute. I want to compete. But that's everybody in this locker room. So, I just have to continue to get better and study that book and study the gameplans and be ready to rock n' roll. That part hasn't changed since Day One…. So, definitely, yeah, I'm ready to play."

Petty might have already had his chance if not for a shoulder injurysuffered in the preseason finale in Philadelphia that prompted him to miss five weeks of practice. He displayed poise, pocket presence and a cannon arm during a promising preseason that opened plenty of eyes within the organization. He was far from perfect, but he flashed enough to make decision makers wonder about the possibilities.

Although Todd Bowles said that Petty, who returned to practice on a full-time basis last week, needs to "practice a good bit and get reps," before becoming a serious option to start, don't be fooled. Petty will get a chance when the 1-5 Jets lose their eighth game (signaling the unofficial official end to any flickering playoff hopes), if not sooner. 

"Shoot, I want game action," Petty said about getting a chance to play at some point this season. "I think that's what everybody in this locker room wants… is to get an opportunity. That's all you can ask for in life in general, much less in this game. So, I definitely want an opportunity. … My plan is to go in and prepare like I am and then just wait for my number to be called and just jump on that opportunity. I've been in this league a short amount of time, but what I have learned is that when you do get your opportunity, you got to jump on it. Because they're quick and few and far between."

Petty's work ethic is commendable. He is literally the first quarterback to arrive at the facility at 5:30 each morning, according to people other than Petty. He has been a willing learner for the better part of the past year and a half. He has never complained, whined or tweeted cryptic messages about a lack of playing time. He is authentically humble. He has leadership qualities that should be cultivated.

The organization's decision to draft Christian Hackenberg in the second round prompted him to elevate his game. He entered the preseason unsure whether he'd even make the Week 1 roster. He responded by outplaying Smith and Hackenberg before getting hurt. The preseason success emboldened him.

"The biggest thing is the confidence level," Petty said. "When I was in the game, I was so much more comfortable than I was (last year). In the last two weeks on scout team… it's a totally different feel. I've built a foundation now from OTAs this past year to camp to preseason to where it's like, 'Man, you can play. You can do this.' And that's huge for the quarterback position. You got to be confident with your abilities. Last year was a whirl-wind like 'Man, this is a lot.' Now it's like, 'I can do this.'"

Petty will lean on Fitzpatrick for guidance as always. Fitzpatrick is still the team leader even though his job description has changed. He's always willing to help.

"Well, I still am," Fitzpatrick told The News about being the team leader. "I still am going to be looked at as that. I still have to go about my business that way, but it's hard because it's in a different capacity. But that just doesn't go away. … The respect that guys have for me just doesn't go away because I'm not out there playing.

Fitzpatrick has been an invaluable resource to Petty, who's been smart enough to understand how helpful the veteran can be to his development. His time is coming.

The Jets need to evaluate what they have in him. He provides hope.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great article, not looking forward to seeing geno Smith play! U can tell even the coaches don't give him ringing indorsement. When Bowles said when your a backup & you get a chance to play u better perform. I believe e that was aimed at big mouth geno Smith. I'm ready for petty time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Please start Petty ASAP. Not that Petty is the answer. At least we know Geno or Fitz aren't the answers. Don't waste valuable reps on Geno/Fitz. Give the young guys a chance to prove themselves in a lost season. 

Agree

If there is any silver lining, it is the perfect opportunity to give Petty tons of reps to see if he is even worth bringing  back next year.  Or to see if he might be a franchise QB.  10 games would be a nice sample.

This QB situation has been screwed over from the very start by the FO/CS.  Starting with the January proclamation that FA Fitz was the starter, to the non competition, back up competition, and now Bowles saying Fitz was definitely the starter, and he didn't care what any back up QB had to say, then making smith the starter.  

smith won't be back next year no matter what.  Lets bring some interest to the games, and lets see if the young guys have anything 

29 minutes ago, mkajet01 said:

Great article, not looking forward to seeing geno Smith play! U can tell even the coaches don't give him ringing indorsement. When Bowles said when your a backup & you get a chance to play u better perform. I believe e that was aimed at big mouth geno Smith. I'm ready for petty time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I thought the first part of that quote was even better..."I don't put much into what backups say. They're a backup for a reason."

The thing is, the coaches, the jets brass and the players simply CANNOT believe that the season is over until they are mathematically out of playoff contention. Even though fans and the media are going to be realists and say the odds of the Jets making the playoffs are slim, technically, there are numerous scenarios that will allow the Jets to get in. I mean, they can lose BOTH Pats games and still get in. Big Ben could get hurt and the Steelers could take a tumble giving the Jets a chance at a wild card spot with 9 wins. Oh wait, he DID get hurt. Just saying. As a fan I totally understand tat its time to look at the next season. tank, play Petty, etc., etc. But if you are the coach, the owner, the players, you;re not even considering that right now.   

So, they are going with the backup- Geno Smith. The guy who has NFL experience, who's gone through the highs and lows of an NFL player, and (although a lot of FANS may disagree) the QB that gives the Jets the best chance to win.  

Yeah, obviously Petty wants to play. Guess what, so does Hack. And Burris probably wants to go out there and cover the #1 WR. But right now, its not happening. And like it or not, Petty probably won't get a chance until the Jets are eliminated from the playoffs.  

Petty is a fourth round draft choice for a reason but one thing I recall everyone saying when we drafted him that he may be, if given the time to develop, different.

Here someone else who thought the same thing......

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476322/article/jon-gruden-bryce-petty-might-have-the-best-arm-talent-in-draft

Petty, who measured 6-foot-2 7/8 and 230 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine, threw for 8,055 yards and 61 TDs (against 10 interceptions) in his two seasons as Baylor's starter. Gruden calls him "a great passer."

Petty ran a spread offense at Baylor and there are questions about him transitioning to a pro-style attack, but Gruden doesn't seem to share those concerns. He says Petty has been "stereotyped in the Baylor offense, but he's different."

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Good that he is not backing down but he really needs to learn how to fly 1st.  With Fitzpatrick free falling and Geno who is just another face in the crowd we need to play him soon so we don't go running down his dream.  Right now he is just a refugee.

But.....the waiting is the hardest part.:lol:

Just now, flgreen said:

You weren't talking about anything.  You were posting another person's erroneous thoughts.  

:)

......but football. 

You're  posting your own erroneous thoughts about things that outside of football I really dont care about. If you're interested in drama, I hear TMZ has a forums site.

:-) 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

......but football. 

You're  posting your own erroneous thoughts about things that outside of football I really dont care about. If you're interested in drama, I hear TMZ has a forums site.

:-) 

LOL

You complaining about drama.  Now that is funny

55 minutes ago, PepPep said:

College is not the Pros. That's why some players develop and become great while others do not and remain the same or get worse. 

True, but since we havent seen Bryce Petty play since college and the only thing we have as a fair comparison is both players in college and Geno was MUCH BETTER, given your own breakdown (highlighted) Geno would have to regress just to be at where Bryce was coming in. 

No need for that though, I just thought the latter of the tweet was a bit interesting.

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Actually, im not talking about anything but football. I was just letting you know the proper forums for the irrelevant drama you're talking about. 

LOL

And you don't think the character and leadership of the starting QB is a football issue?

No, guess not

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

And you don't think the character and leadership of the starting QB is a football issue?

No, guess not

I think character and leadership of our starting QB is relevant...one of those character traits is being able to "punch adversity in the face". Thats a sign of a leader. 

What you're talking about is stuff that you get from TMZ. It's irrelevant. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I think character and leadership of our starting QB is relevant...one of those character traits is being able to "punch adversity in the face". Thats a sign of a leader. 

What you're talking about is stuff that you get from TMZ. It's irrelevant. 

Well by week 11 more then likely this will all be a moot point , so you might as well start practicing your attack on Petty or Hack.

BTW battery on the elderly is a felony, not a debate for TMZ.  Not to mention a extremely cowardly act 

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Well by week 11 more then likely this will all be a moot point , so you might as well start practicing your attack on Petty or Hack.

BTW battery on the elderly is a felony, not a debate for TMZ.  Not to mention a extremely cowardly act 

Seems like a ton of players are committing battery from 71 year old men, to their wives even down to their own children. How about you be mature and stop supporting by watching the games???? Obviously the NFL is full of felons. 

Either that or you can continue to talk about it like it was a debate on TMZ. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Petty's work ethic is commendable. He is literally the first quarterback to arrive at the facility at 5:30 each morning, according to people other than Petty. He has been a willing learner for the better part of the past year and a half. He has never complained, whined or tweeted cryptic messages about a lack of playing time. He is authentically humble. He has leadership qualities that should be cultivated.

Archived