Will you actually develop respect for Woody if...

drdetroit

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, FidelioJet said:

No..because he shouldn't...I would have more respect if he sticks with him and gives him the chance to grow into the role.  This was a choice he made and he needs to give it time.

I agree. He is not very good now but the organization can't keep turning over all the key pieces every couple of years. It keep holding us back. Let him grow and improve.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

That would be a knee-jerk reaction.

No matter what happens this year, Bowles is back for 2017.

Woody thinks first about himself (and how he looks) and then about the team. The only reason he gave Revis that contract because it never made any sense.  If the Jets are in disarray and we regress to another 4-12 I'd be surprised if he doesn't fire Bowles. From my point of view it depends on just how bad things get. If he isn't able to at least get average play out of this team than I'm not against. it. Right now the team looks like they forgot how to play football. I hope things will improve.  

Todd Bowles was the hottest coordinator prospect for years. He won the same Assistant coach of the year award that Rex won in 2008.

The question becomes who would they hire that would be an upgrade? Firing coaches doesn't make things better in and of themselves.  You have to find a better replacement. 

Woody thinks first about himself (and how he looks) and then about the team. The only reason he gave Revis that contract because it never made any sense.  If the Jets are in disarray and we regress to another 4-12 I'd be surprised if he doesn't fire Bowles. From my point of view it depends on just how bad things get. If he isn't able to at least get average play out of this team than I'm not against. it. Right now the team looks like they forgot how to play football. I hope things will improve.  

1) Revis was nothing more than a bad business decision. Woody had his hands all over that from a PR perspective.

2) Bowles will be back for 2017. Woody would look like a more incompetent fool than he actually is if he fires him this year.

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Railing against the Revis contract while simultaneously stumping for Fitz is hilarious to me. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well obviously we don't have depth on the team. I wonder why. 

They actually have more depth than they've had in at least four years. Meanwhile, their backup QB counts $5M against next year's cap - in the expectation that he's not resigned. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

They actually have more depth than they've had in at least four years. Meanwhile, their backup QB counts $5M against next year's cap - in the expectation that he's not resigned. 

Fitzpatrick counts $5 million against the cap next year???????????  FIRE MACC 

12 minutes ago, slats said:

It's not a big deal. Nothing compared to Revis another guy not living up to his contract which is 39 mil guaranteed. All Fitz got was 12 and only one year. Maybe if they had signed him months earlier and let him practice with the team instead playing stupid games he'd be playing like he did last year. And a good chance he plays again this season. But he's not here next year obviously. 

3 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Do you just make things up?

Jets are +2 versus the Ravens and haven't been a favorite in any game this year.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/

http://www.oddsshark.com/nfl/baltimore-new-york-odds-october-23-2016-728698

It was a one point favorite earlier this afternoon. Go look at the line history

47 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Todd Bowles was the hottest coordinator prospect for years. He won the same Assistant coach of the year award that Rex won in 2008.

The question becomes who would they hire that would be an upgrade? Firing coaches doesn't make things better in and of themselves.  You have to find a better replacement. 

You've made this point before, because sadly the Jets seem to get in exactly this position every few years. And in this case, if you have a guy you want, perhaps someone who knows how a competent offense works, or a Big Fish (Les Miles?) fine. If not, Bowles gets until next year to figure it out. 

Again, Les Miles is a guy who has a point to make and is sharp as a tack. He is a lot like Jim Harbaugh. If that's the plan and he wants the job, do it. If you have a guy you think is all that, fine.

But if you're gonna do CoordinatorPalooza again, then hang on to Bowles for 1 more year. If you fire Bowles without a clear plan for the next guy it's a bad idea. 

16 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It's not a big deal. Nothing compared to Revis another guy not living up to his contract which is 39 mil guaranteed. All Fitz got was 12 and only one year. Maybe if they had signed him months earlier and let him practice with the team instead playing stupid games he'd be playing like he did last year. And a good chance he plays again this season. But he's not here next year obviously. 

It's a huge deal. It's the most important position on the field, and resigning Fitz has set back the development of the only QBs who will still be on the roster next year. It was a massively stupid contract. Revis may not be up to speed, but he's still the Jets' best CB. 

Fitz only gets on the field again this year if Geno gets hurt soon. Otherwise, it's Geno then Petty. 

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

He pulls the trigger and fires Bowles after this season?  

We already have respect for Woody Johnson.

This overreaction to a difficult early season schedule is getting ridiculous.  Only a naive dreamer ever could have thought we'd get out of the gate better than 2-4 and make a playoff run with Ryan Ftizpatrick.  Cut the crap already.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

We already have respect for Woody Johnson.

This overreaction to a difficult early season schedule is getting ridiculous.  Only a naive dreamer ever could have thought we'd get out of the gate better than 2-4 and make a playoff run with Ryan Ftizpatrick.  Cut the crap already.

SAR I

Ryan Fitzpatrick had you all fooled even you SAR I you bragged about his 2015 season and all the Jets passing records he broke. 

Do me a favor Sunday stand up and cheer for Dennis Byrd and Geno Smith, 

58 minutes ago, bitonti said:

NO MORE ROOKIE HEAD COACHES

I've been saying this since Herm Edwards.  The only success this franchise has ever had in its history was when we got Week Eubank away from the NFL and got Bill Parcells away from the Patriots.  Every NFL rookie head coach has a pedigree and a resume, but it's a first job and the learning curve is too steep.  Let someone else take the pain of the first job mess, let us get a guy on his second gig.

Woody is turning 70.  This is the year that owners start to see the end of the road and get antsy.  Offer Bill Belichick the largest contract in sports history and 5% of the team, take the tampering penalty, and go get our man.

SAR I

Archived