Will you actually develop respect for Woody if...

drdetroit

5 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Like I said, and what so many of you don't get....Geno was nothing more than a cheap transition to Mac's choice. Fitz, in all reality, was just viewed as a mentor to Petty NOT Geno. Upon signing, Playing Geno was the plan by Mac for some stupid reason since he just couldn't find anything better. Fitz was never even supposed to play, except only if Geno sh*t the bed. Instead, Genope got knocked out in more ways than one and lost the job which he initially won by default. And now once again he starts, by default. 

Lol yes we get it just fine.. you are right, fitz was suppose to be geno's backup last yr and this yr. It's not uncommon for the backup to get the chance and roles reverse. Mac never thought geno was that much better than fitz. Going into this yr even after last ye Mac still didn't believe fitz was much better than geno. So geno steps in, like fitz stepped in last yr. It's not a difficult concept. If geno had not gotten hurt last yr and played as bad as fitz has played this yr, geno would have been pulled just the same as fitz has been this yr.. 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol yes we get it just fine.. you are right, fitz was suppose to be geno's backup last yr and this yr. It's not uncommon for the backup to get the chance and roles reverse. Mac never thought geno was that much better than fitz. Going into this yr even after last ye Mac still didn't believe fitz was much better than geno. So geno steps in, like fitz stepped in last yr. It's not a difficult concept. If geno had not gotten hurt last yr and played as bad as fitz has played this yr, geno would have been pulled just the same as fitz has been this yr.. 

Geno sucks so badly Mac panicked and signed Fitz to that 12 million dollar contract. Instead of just cutting the albatross like he did Amaro, he continues to keep him on the roster and should have found a better option than Fitz. Dumb and dumber. 

5 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Geno sucks so badly Mac panicked and signed Fitz to that 12 million dollar contract. Instead of just cutting the albatross like he did Amaro, he continues to keep him on the roster and should have found a better option than Fitz. Dumb and dumber. 

We had to sign someone.. We couldn't go into the season with 1 of the two unprepared kids as the #2. I know it's going to pain you to watch geno. And if he does as bad as fitz after 5 games we will say you were one of the right ones.. If he somehow, miraculously does ok you can come on here and tell the board you were wrong.. Until then, let's stop living in the past and take it week by week..

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Todd Bowles was the hottest coordinator prospect for years. He won the same Assistant coach of the year award that Rex won in 2008.

The question becomes who would they hire that would be an upgrade? Firing coaches doesn't make things better in and of themselves.  You have to find a better replacement. 

There was no asst coach of the yr award in 2008. Bowles won the 1st one. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000466460/article/todd-bowles-wins-assistant-coach-of-the-year-award

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We had to sign someone.. We couldn't go into the season with 1 of the two unprepared kids as the #2. I know it's going to pain you to watch geno. And if he does as bad as fitz after 5 games we will say you were one of the right ones.. If he somehow, miraculously does ok you can come on here and tell the board you were wrong.. Until then, let's stop living in the past and take it week by week..

Lol good luck with that. What Geno does is irrelevant. You see it doesn't even matter to me if Geno goes 10-0 over the next 10 or 0-10. I don't like him, I can't stand him and don't want him on my team. Mac has screwed this up BIG TIME. I said it after his first draft and FA signings and again at the beginning of the year. 

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Lol good luck with that. What Geno does is irrelevant. You see it doesn't even matter to me if Geno goes 10-0 over the next 10 or 0-10. I don't like him, I can't stand him and don't want him on my team. Mac has screwed this up BIG TIME. I said it after his first draft and FA signings and again at the beginning of the year. 

Lol ok I appreciate your open honesty about the deep hatred you have for the current jets starting qb ?. Your opinion is not anywhere near Mac and Bowles I guess. Does that mean you are going to be rooting for the jets to fail as long as geno smith is under center ? 

Fitz deserves to be benched. If Geno does good than ok. But there's ten games left and imo Fitz will play in games this season 

Why would you put Fitz back in?

The Jets are 1-5, probably looking at 1-7 when they get to the bye.

It's Petty and Hack time, Fitz incompetence set the Jets back at least 2 years.

12 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol ok I appreciate your open honesty about the deep hatred you have for the current jets starting qb ?. Your opinion is not anywhere near Mac and Bowles I guess. Does that mean you are going to be rooting for the jets to fail as long as geno smith is under center ? 

I root for the Jets NOT Geno. 

7 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Umm, think Flacco's status had anything to do with the line change?

By kickoff on Sunday, the Jets will be underdogs in every single game they played this year.

Umm WTF does that have to do with you posting a graphic that you can't read correctly while trying to break the op's balls? Lol.

And you want to question the merits of the actual betting line now? Yeah, okay :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Well, he was last year. And chances are he will be again this year. That's why for a guy with his resume you don't give him a multi-year deal. When you have an offense that clicks like it did last season you don't start playing games for a million or two with the player the team wanted back as starting Qb. It can screw things up and it very well might have. btw if we have plenty of depth why terrible play esp in the secondary. And that's the area where Mac spent so much money.  And where's the depth on the O-line. 

No he won't.  His only chance is if others are injured.  He's done

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

Fitz was never meant to be the starter. He was signed to be the backup and mentor to Petty and whoever else (Hack) Mac drafted. Geno had never been a serious consideration by Mac. He was a leftover from Idziot's draft, a cheap lousy insurance policy that bought him some time until he could find his franchise QB. Regardless of what happened to Geno last year or Fitz this year, this team was doomed with the stupid moves Mac has made. Fitz's fine season last year just covered up the numerous flaws Mac failed to address. It was remarkable they won 10 games last year.  Unfortunately, he's not the type of QB that can carry a team alone. 

Yeah, other than Geno was the starter in Maccs first season, Fitz was told he was signed to be the backup.  Don't know where you get he wasn't in serious contention.   Like it or not, Geno was the starting QB until IK popped him. 

And your logic is flawed.  Fitz was signed to be the backup, starter goes down and the backup wins 10 so the GM needs to go?  

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't fool me, friend.  You forget my "Jets Must Open 2-0 Or The Season Is Over" thread from back in August methinks.

2015 did happen and it was the best quarterback play we'd seen in decades.  I was ambivalent on resigning Fitz or going with Petty, but I can't blame the Jets brass for thinking our best chance of getting out of the gate with this brutal schedule at 3-3 was with the veteran who looked comfortable in Gailey's system last November and December and threw more TD's than any QB in our history in what was 6 consecutive elimination weeks.  Can you?

SAR I

I usually want to put you on ignore but I can't argue with  this.

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, other than Geno was the starter in Maccs first season, Fitz was told he was signed to be the backup.  Don't know where you get he wasn't in serious contention.   Like it or not, Geno was the starting QB until IK popped him. 

And your logic is flawed.  Fitz was signed to be the backup, starter goes down and the backup wins 10 so the GM needs to go?  

Logic is flawed? Like Geno's jaw is fragile right? Mac should have found a better option than Geno or Fitz. Geno was a troublemaker just waiting to implode. Glennon was available. That was the move to be made. Sign Fitz as backup and mentor to Glennon and Petty. Trade Geno to Canada for some Canadian bacon. Fitz saved Mac's fat azz. Who on this ? believed Fitz would even sniff the playoffs last year. No not even Mac. 

22 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Logic is flawed? Like Geno's jaw is fragile right? Mac should have found a better option than Geno or Fitz. Geno was a troublemaker just waiting to implode. Glennon was available. That was the move to be made. Sign Fitz as backup and mentor to Glennon and Petty. Trade Geno to Canada for some Canadian bacon. Fitz saved Mac's fat azz. Who on this ? believed Fitz would even sniff the playoffs last year. No not even Mac. 

How do you know, Geno didn play. 

Glennon wasn't available, stop already, you're making shlt up.  The Jets inquired, were turned down. 

Nice that you think you saw an option but at best we have no clue what Geno would have done a year ago and no idea if Glennon would have done better.  No matter how much you hate Geno

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How do you know, Geno didn play. 

Glennon wasn't available, stop already, you're making shlt up.  The Jets inquired, were turned down. 

Nice that you think you saw an option but at best we have no clue what Geno would have done a year ago and no idea if Glennon would have done better.  No matter how much you hate Geno

Seen Geno play for 2 years full time. Worst QB rating in NFL 2 years straight. Add in all the other nonsense and it makes zero sense to keep him on this team. Every football analyst says same thing: he's history after this year so why waste time playing him now. And as far as Glennon is concerned, I'm sure a deal could have been worked out. Mac has already wasted numerous draft picks as it is. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Umm, think Flacco's status had anything to do with the line change?

By kickoff on Sunday, the Jets will be underdogs in every single game they played this year.

We have hit critical mass. The Jets are so terrible you are trying to troll and all you end up doing is stating facts.  LOL

Ok so Geno is temporarily the Jets starting Qb. It's really up to him to play well and keep the job. No excuses. If he does it's a career boost and he has a job somewhere next year. Maybe here. I'm ok with that. But if he's bad I think the Jets will release him before December. But I give him at least two starts. I do not give him the rest of the season unless he plays well. This isn't a try out for him or pre-season. It's regular season and if you don't play well like Fitz you get benched or cut. My prediction: Fitz is starting again in 2 weeks and if so plays better. But he's not back next year. If he wants to continue his career he has to sign somewhere as a backup. Just like Geno.

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Ok so Geno is temporarily the Jets starting Qb. It's really up to him to play well and keep the job. No excuses. If he does it's a career boost and he has a job somewhere next year. Maybe here. I'm ok with that. But if he's bad I think the Jets will release him before December. But I give him at least two starts. I do not give him the rest of the season unless he plays well. This isn't a try out for him or pre-season. It's regular season and if you don't play well like Fitz you get benched or cut. My prediction: Fitz is starting again in 2 weeks and if so plays better. But he's not back next year. If he wants to continue his career he has to sign somewhere as a backup. Just like Geno, 

LOL Ryan Fitzpatrick is done here donate the jersey to charity keep the beard its supposed to get cold this weekend.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Why not?

23 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Ok so Geno is temporarily the Jets starting Qb. It's really up to him to play well and keep the job. No excuses. If he does it's a career boost and he has a job somewhere next year. Maybe here. I'm ok with that. But if he's bad I think the Jets will release him before December. But I give him at least two starts. I do not give him the rest of the season unless he plays well. This isn't a try out for him or pre-season. It's regular season and if you don't play well like Fitz you get benched or cut. My prediction: Fitz is starting again in 2 weeks and if so plays better. But he's not back next year. If he wants to continue his career he has to sign somewhere as a backup. Just like Geno, 

If they bench Geno presumably it means they've lost even more games, and the team is or could be mathematically eliminated by then. If they then go back to Fitzpatrick in 2 weeks for any reason other than a Bryce Petty injury, Bowles should be fired on the spot and I'm not exaggerating. It would be a last sign that the job is too much for him to handle.

If he senses this has even a remote possibility, Maccagnan should cut Fitzpatrick after this game if only to remove this temptation. I'd say trade him, but I don't know who'd take Fitz off our hands for free right now with nearly $4.5M still due this year, let alone give up anything for him.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why not?

I'm not the expert or Bowles or gailey. But it was their opinion that they did not feel comfortable with either as the #2. If we didn't sign fitz and geno went down, all hell would break lose if we had to pin our season on petty.. If they thought he was ready, they don't sign fitz and give petty a shot at winning the job. They didn't think he was anywhere close to being the #2. They viewed petty and hack as 3a and 3b. If they didn't sign fitz, they would have signed someone else or traded for a vet. 

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

I'm not the expert or Bowles or gailey. But it was their opinion that they did not feel comfortable with either as the #2. If we didn't sign fitz and geno went down, all hell would break lose if we had to pin our season on petty.. If they thought he was ready, they don't sign fitz and give petty a shot at winning the job. They didn't think he was anywhere close to being the #2. They viewed petty and hack as 3a and 3b. If they didn't sign fitz, they would have signed someone else or traded for a vet. 

But they liked him enough to keep him on the roster after injuring his shoulder so badly he was away from the team for the first month & a half? Clearly they did think he was close to being the #2 otherwise they'd have just IR'd him to save the roster spot, since that's typically what teams do.

I don't agree that all hell would break loose if they simply went to Petty in the event of a Fitz injury. Particularly given how unpopular Geno is with the fan base. Petty is a 2nd year pro, and 2nd string is hardly a stretch.

This obsession with requiring a vet starter - or in the 2016 Jets' case, requiring two vets to be the #1 and #2 QBs - to pair with their 2 drafted QBs, is among the more infuriating planning decisions this team has taken. 

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But they liked him enough to keep him on the roster after injuring his shoulder so badly he was away from the team for the first month & a half? Clearly they did think he was close to being the #2 otherwise they'd have just IR'd him to save the roster spot, since that's typically what teams do.

I don't agree that all hell would break loose if they simply went to Petty in the event of a Fitz injury. Particularly given how unpopular Geno is with the fan base. Petty is a 2nd year pro, and 2nd string is hardly a stretch.

This obsession with requiring a vet starter - or in the 2016 Jets' case, requiring two vets to be the #1 and #2 QBs - to pair with their 2 drafted QBs, is among the more infuriating planning decisions this team has taken. 

Ha dude they knew petty was a big project when they drafted him. Hack was too.. You have to have a #2 whom you know is able to take over if starter goes down..They like petty but he needs major development.. He wasn't even making his own reads in college.. Let's look back out petty's draft/scout report.. 

Draft Projection

Round 4

Sources Tell Us

"My grade is a projection based on what I think he can do rather than what he did this year. I think his back was a bigger problem for him than people realize." -- AFC North area scout 

"Offenses that ask quarterbacks to look to the sidelines so coaches can make the pre-snap reads will never crank out NFL ready quarterbacks. Those quarterbacks all need redshirt years in the league." -- AFC West area scout 

"After watching the tape, talking to both guys and seeing them work out, I have Petty ahead as my third quarterback." -- AFC quarterbacks coach

NFL Comparison

Austin Davis

Bottom Line

NFL evaluators felt like Petty's senior season was disappointing, but those same evaluators love his size, leadership and intangibles. He needs a year or two of practice time and camp work to learn how to get through his progressions, but has the intelligence to do that. Petty flashed plenty of arm strength at the NFL Scouting Combine and as the draft draws closer, teams might very well begin to conceptualize Petty fitting into their offense as a potential starter of the future.

9 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ha dude they knew petty was a big project when they drafted him. Hack was too.. You have to have a #2 whom you know is able to take over if starter goes down..They like petty but he needs major development.. He wasn't even making his own reads in college.. Let's look back out petty's draft/scout report.. 

Draft Projection

Round 4

Sources Tell Us

"My grade is a projection based on what I think he can do rather than what he did this year. I think his back was a bigger problem for him than people realize." -- AFC North area scout 

"Offenses that ask quarterbacks to look to the sidelines so coaches can make the pre-snap reads will never crank out NFL ready quarterbacks. Those quarterbacks all need redshirt years in the league." -- AFC West area scout 

"After watching the tape, talking to both guys and seeing them work out, I have Petty ahead as my third quarterback." -- AFC quarterbacks coach

NFL Comparison

Austin Davis

Bottom Line

NFL evaluators felt like Petty's senior season was disappointing, but those same evaluators love his size, leadership and intangibles. He needs a year or two of practice time and camp work to learn how to get through his progressions, but has the intelligence to do that. Petty flashed plenty of arm strength at the NFL Scouting Combine and as the draft draws closer, teams might very well begin to conceptualize Petty fitting into their offense as a potential starter of the future.

If Petty still needed such major developement after the 3rd preseason game, then a team IRs him after he gets injured in PS4.

The fact that they didn't, compared to the eyeball test this summer, suggests that he is no longer in need of the same major developement he required a year prior.

It's either one or the other. It can't be both.

What Petty needs now is playing time, not off-season QB coaching after another season spent twiddling his thumbs. Especially in light of a glorious opportunity such as this (the season's flushed down the toilet early, so no one is seriously going to bark about wasting Fitz/Geno starts on Petty, when neither of those two are going to be here next year anyway).

Oh, and those "needs a year or two" of clipboard holding is what we also heard about Wentz and Mariota.

I'm surprised by how many people are Ok with Bowles coming back next year. I think he is toast after this year, especially if this team continues to look like hot garbage. I've seen enough of Bowles quite frankly. He shows zero emotion and often looks like a deer in headlights. His team looks unprepared and unmotivated. His defense is dreadful. His in game management and decisions are abysmal. His inability to make adjustments is quite apparent, highlighted by the fact that the jets are outscored by a huge margin in the third quarter. It seems to me that other teams and coaches are doing what he is unable to do. I don't have to see any more of this guy. Bowles is clueless and way over his head. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, well guess what, it's a f'cking duck!!

25 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If Petty still needed such major developement after the 3rd preseason game, then a team IRs him after he gets injured in PS4.

The fact that they didn't, compared to the eyeball test this summer, suggests that he is no longer in need of the same major developement he required a year prior.

What Petty needs now is playing time, not off-season QB coaching after another season spent twiddling his thumbs. Especially in light of a glorious opportunity such as this (the season's flushed down the toilet early, so no one is seriously going to bark about wasting Fitz/Geno starts on Petty, when neither of those two are going to be here next year anyway).

Oh, and "needs a year or two" of clipboard holding is what we also heard about Wentz and Mariota.

Thats a great post Sperm. I never thought about the treatment after the injury. Great point and it makes a lot of sense.

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

Seen Geno play for 2 years full time. Worst QB rating in NFL 2 years straight. Add in all the other nonsense and it makes zero sense to keep him on this team. Every football analyst says same thing: he's history after this year so why waste time playing him now. And as far as Glennon is concerned, I'm sure a deal could have been worked out. Mac has already wasted numerous draft picks as it is. 

Rookie and then 2nd year QB playing with no one around him.  You don't know what he is today.  

As far as Glennon goes, no deal could be made.  Or one that made sense.  

Macc has "wasted" very few picks. 

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Oh, and those "needs a year or two" of clipboard holding is what we also heard about Wentz and Mariota.

lol why can't it be both ? He is back already, no need to use the IR. They want him ahead of hackenberg. They will use petty if geno isn't doing well and/or jets continue to lose. Toward the end of the yr, when it's officially garbage time.. much different then having to rely on petty early when jets are trying to win. Even now they still don't want to quit until we are " officially eliminated " from playoffs.. 

Archived