The Salary Cap

Smashmouth

I'm getting sick of the Salary cap limitations. So many teams lose solid players they drafted simply because they can't afford the second contract. If any professional sport needs players to be in a given system over the long haul its the NFL.

I propose that players originally drafted by a team count a certain percentage less towards the cap so teams can actually keep the players they draft .

The rookie salary structure during the draft has helped with this issue and I think more needs to be done to keep teams intact. I think players bouncing around all over this league waters down the game and makes it much more sloppy than it was back in the 70's for example. Its why Defenses like the Raiders, Cowboys Steelers of old spanned 5 + years sometimes an entire decade.

I think most teams would keep their home grown talent if given the opportunity and I think a larger percentage of players who make huge salaries actually hinder their teams causing more cap issues and in turn ruin the structure of what GM's are actually trying the build. Sure at times in todays NFL you can get better quicker but that's a rare instance and it does not last. Of course there are some examples of longevity but for the most part it becomes more of a money juggling act rather than a talent issue. I think I can name probably 2 teams that just get it done year in and year out over the long haul due to great management and that's the Patriots and the Steelers and that is a very small percentage.

I'm not sure what a good number would be but off the top of my head I would think home grown talent after the first contract counting 70% towards the teams cap would be a good place to start. I would much rather see a player moved because a team was going in a different direction with scheme rather than just not being able to afford such a player due to salary cap limitations.

With QB salaries going through the roof and only primed to go higher I think this makes a lot of sense and it should help everyone both players and teams who want to keep their home grown talent .

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Cap is the best part of the NFL.  I'm glad it's in place, and would want it in place from MLB, NBA, NHL, pretty much any team-based sports league.

It's well known New York'er loathe the idea.  No one wonders why.

Im not saying remove the cap Im saying make adjustments to it.

Archived