Your 2016-2017 New York Knicks Thread!!!

SMC

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That W is all on O'Quinn and Rose. When O'Quinn gets amped up like that it's kind of amazing. And that is Rose's best game as a Knick by far. It's still fun watching him create off the dribble when he's locked in like that.

Knicks are a good home team this year. 8-3 now at the Garden.

Tying Porzingis to Towns is still super aspirational at this point. It's not even close and it isn't a fair comparison anyway.

It looks like we need a catastrophic injury to Rose. I don't see any other way of averting an extension and three more years in purgatory. It doesn't feel like he's fooling anybody besides thirsty Knicks fans and stupid Knicks management. I don't see a path to unloading him for productive players on contracts that are actively bad let alone deals that merely run longer. The only exception would be if Milwaukee really wants out from under Monroe but even that would require moving or amnestying Noah. And even there all we're really doing is saving ourselves from ourselves on Rose because while it's better than a lateral move at center it basically caps our upside at keeping Holiday and scoring with the draft pick.

Melo is worse than Hitler and he's here forever but I think I could force myself to buy in to this team if we could just manage to get free of Rose.

56 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Tying Porzingis to Towns is still super aspirational at this point. It's not even close and it isn't a fair comparison anyway.

It looks like we need a catastrophic injury to Rose. I don't see any other way of averting an extension and three more years in purgatory.

• Upvote 1

Knicks are 7-3 in their last 10 but this Kings game tomorrow isn't a gimme at all.  Cousins has been playing out of his mind this year and Sacramento has beaten some good teams this year. That roster is like the island of misfit older decent first rounders that you forgot about. 

I think it's a W that they need badly. Between Cleveland and then the long western slog coming up they are going to lose a bunch, it would be huge if they could mitigate the damage by being a few over .500 at the start.

7 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

It looks like we need a catastrophic injury to Rose. I don't see any other way of averting an extension and three more years in purgatory. It doesn't feel like he's fooling anybody besides thirsty Knicks fans and stupid Knicks management. I don't see a path to unloading him for productive players on contracts that are actively bad let alone deals that merely run longer. The only exception would be if Milwaukee really wants out from under Monroe but even that would require moving or amnestying Noah. And even there all we're really doing is saving ourselves from ourselves on Rose because while it's better than a lateral move at center it basically caps our upside at keeping Holiday and scoring with the draft pick.

Melo is worse than Hitler and he's here forever but I think I could force myself to buy in to this team if we could just manage to get free of Rose.

This is like the basketball version of Life is Beautiful

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Dolan sitting courtside last night with his bevy of models even noticed the offense looks better with Jennings.

Three down of the must wins, now they have to take care of Heat.

KP has shot poorly again, but his D and rebounding was huge.  Rose came up big again.  Boogie is a beastly Wildman.

Noah has to come off the bench.  He's too much of a liability on offense right now that his D and rebounding cant compensate.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

It's fun watching him bust out some of those old moves he had prior to the knee stuff starting. Always looked like he was just floating around on his feet in the paint. I thought he was dunzo after last year because his entire game revolves around creating off the dribble, but here he is. Not too shabby.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's fun watching him bust out some of those old moves he had prior to the knee stuff starting. Always looked like he was just floating around on his feet in the paint. I thought he was dunzo after last year because his entire game revolves around creating off the dribble, but here he is. Not too shabby.

Rose had a great Q & A with Serby in the Post this Sunday (still up on NY Post website).  Worth the read.  He said that he wished he never dunked and that he's smarter now in both knowing the game and what speed to play at and when.  You can see that now.  He still blows by people into the paint even though he doesn't have the explosiveness.  Regardless of what The Artist Formerly Known As says, I think Rose can be an All Star again by playing differently that he did before.  Play smarter, pick his spots.  He's still essentially unguardable in the paint.

35 minutes ago, SMC said:

Rose had a great Q & A with Serby in the Post this Sunday (still up on NY Post website).  Worth the read.  He said that he wished he never dunked and that he's smarter now in both knowing the game and what speed to play at and when.  You can see that now.  He still blows by people into the paint even though he doesn't have the explosiveness.  Regardless of what The Artist Formerly Known As says, I think Rose can be an All Star again by playing differently that he did before.  Play smarter, pick his spots.  He's still essentially unguardable in the paint.

His agent says they will probably work out a long term deal if he keeps it up. I'm cool with keeping him on so long as it's not a max deal, even though that's probably going to happen given what guys are getting paid now. If they want to extend him for 2 for the duration of Melo's deal that's fine with me. Barring he stays healthy the rest of the year. I'd hope we're smart enough to pay Jennings if that does happen because he's been a big part of Rose's play. With the way things are right now (and granted this could certainly change by the end of the season) I would really like to see this entire roster back with a full year under its belt. I still think after all these years everyone in the East is still playing for second to Lebron in the conference, but when these guys are clicking on offense they are a fun team to watch and honestly it's just nice enjoying some ball again. Been a while.

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

His agent says they will probably work out a long term deal if he keeps it up. I'm cool with keeping him on so long as it's not a max deal, even though that's probably going to happen given what guys are getting paid now. If they want to extend him for 2 for the duration of Melo's deal that's fine with me. Barring he stays healthy the rest of the year. I'd hope we're smart enough to pay Jennings if that does happen because he's been a big part of Rose's play. With the way things are right now (and granted this could certainly change by the end of the season) I would really like to see this entire roster back with a full year under its belt. I still think after all these years everyone in the East is still playing for second to Lebron in the conference, but when these guys are clicking on offense they are a fun team to watch and honestly it's just nice enjoying some ball again. Been a while.

Because of Rose's NBA tenure, even a non-max deal will be huge money wise.  The thing is, I don't see any better available option in FA.  Westbrook already re-signed, Paul, Curry are staying as is Lowry (I'm not a fan of his).  Teague and the rest are a notch below a healthy Rose IMO.  In season extensions should be out of the question, though.  He has to prove he can make it through a full season before NYK makes an offer.

I want Jennings back but I don't know if Knicks can afford him.  He's only making $5 mil.  He can easily get $12 mil per next year on a 3/$36-$42mil. 

16 minutes ago, SMC said:

Because of Rose's NBA tenure, even a non-max deal will be huge money wise.  The thing is, I don't see any better available option in FA.  Westbrook already re-signed, Paul, Curry are staying as is Lowry (I'm not a fan of his).  Teague and the rest are a notch below a healthy Rose IMO.  In season extensions should be out of the question, though.  He has to prove he can make it through a full season before NYK makes an offer.

I want Jennings back but I don't know if Knicks can afford him.  He's only making $5 mil.  He can easily get $12 mil per next year on a 3/$36-$42mil. 

Do you think the Thomas contract was a bad move?

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Do you think the Thomas contract was a bad move?

No.  It's only only about $6.8 mil a year for 4 yrs, which is cheap in this NBA.  Of course, if Thomas is never healthy again because of his foot problems then it will turn out to be a bad move, but going in, it was a good re-signing.

The same with Lee.  It looks bad now, but going in it was good.  Hopefully Lee will start hitting open shots.  The Knicks are going to get a lot of open shots this season with Melo, KP and now Rose re-asserting himself.  The Knicks need Thomas, Lee, Holiday and Kuz to hit their open shots.

At least Phil got the coaching hire right.  Hornacek has been good with his rotations, great on out-of-bound play calls, and shown a propensity to play the hot and sit the poor shooting.  I'm stunned how bad Thibs has done in Minny (he was my first choice).

Just now, SMC said:

No.  It's only only about $6.8 mil a year for 4 yrs, which is cheap in this NBA.  Of course, if Thomas is never healthy again because of his foot problems then it will turn out to be a bad move, but going in, it was a good re-signing.

The same with Lee.  It looks bad now, but going in it was good.  Hopefully Lee will start hitting open shots.  The Knicks are going to get a lot of open shots this season with Melo, KP and now Rose re-asserting himself.  The Knicks need Thomas, Lee, Holiday and Kuz to hit their open shots.

At least Phil got the coaching hire right.  Hornacek has been good with his rotations, great on out-of-bound play calls, and shown a propensity to play the hot and sit the poor shooting.  I'm stunned how bad Thibs has done in Minny (he was my first choice).

A consistent starting lineup. What a concept.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

No need to resign Rose unless it's a one year deal.  There will be other point guards available next offseason.

5 hours ago, SMC said:

The Bulls will give us Rondo for free next summer just like they just gave us Rose for free and he will be here on what is essentially a one year deal.

We can also get Dragic from the Heat but his contract isn't as friendly.