Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SMC

Your 2016-2017 New York Knicks Thread!!!

913 posts in this topic

Rose with the Harden school of defense

1 minute ago, SMC said:

That helps the tanking

Agree. But he needs to be released/bought out after the season assuming he continues to use the no trade. Enough.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Agree. But he needs to be released/bought out after the season assuming he continues to use the no trade. Enough.

I agree he needs to go, but you have to wait 1 more season.  Releasing him after this season would hurt the future cap because they'd have to spread his salary over future years.

He has an opt-out after 2017-18 and then his money is off the books.

Just now, SMC said:

I agree he needs to go, but you have to wait 1 more season.  Releasing him after this season would hurt the future cap because they'd have to spread his salary over future years.

He has an opt-out after 2017-18 and then his money is off the books.

Did not realize that. Ugh

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Did not realize that. Ugh

Yep.  It's similar to dead money in NFL.

Melo's salary next year (2017/18) is $26.2m and his salary the following year (2018/19) is $27.9m, which is actually an opt-out year.

We have to assume that Melo opts out of that final season which means he's a free agent after 2017/18 and Knicks are off the hook for the $27.9m.  However, if the Knicks waive him after this season, both next year AND the optout year has to be accounted for in future cap years.

If the Knicks bought out Melo after this season they can either chose to have the full cap hits in both years or spread it out for 4 years, either way, cutting into their available cap to sign players.

Last night was further proof that the way the NBA doles out it's MVP is ******* stupid. It's still Lebron and it's always going to be Lebron until his body decides it isn't anymore. Westbrook and Harden are having great seasons, but they don't do that.

Melo again talking to the media, commenting onon the knicks not making any deadline deals.

Why does he think he's so important? Just shut up and play basketball, dude. You're not Lebron. Nobody gives a sh## about your thoughts on the knicks doing this or that.

13 minutes ago, Barton said:

Melo again talking to the media, commenting onon the knicks not making any deadline deals.

Why does he think he's so important? Just shut up and play basketball, dude. You're not Lebron. Nobody gives a sh## about your thoughts on the knicks doing this or that.

That's part of the issue. He tries to carry all the cache of a superstar but gives you nothing on the floor that remotely resembles it. The Knicks have kissed his ass for the last 6 years and I still fear them giving in again because Isola is giving Phil a hard time and Dolan is more reactionary than Woody

On 2/23/2017 at 2:58 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Also worth noting that Porzingis speaks Spanish, so theoretically we could have 3 of the starting 5 next year communicating in a language that our opponent wouldn't understand.

I call it The Bandito Strategy.

how many different ways can you say "I'm open melo......**** !"   ?

Philly won last night. A loss here would be big.

Of course NOW Melo hits a game winning shot to screw up draft position.

Still, Knicks are in good shape to have a shot at top 4 lottery seeding

Just now, SMC said:

Of course NOW Melo hits a game winning shot to screw up draft position.

Still, Knicks are in good shape to have a shot at top 4 lottery seeding

Look, I'm all for losing out, but that would have been a humiliating L last night. The Sixers are playing with a makeshift lineup and the Knicks blew a heavy lead in the most preposterous fashion. If the Knicks get knocked out of Fultz or Ball because of 1 loss, I'll bitch about it then. But for god's sake that one would have hurt last night.

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Look, I'm all for losing out, but that would have been a humiliating L last night. The Sixers are playing with a makeshift lineup and the Knicks blew a heavy lead in the most preposterous fashion. If the Knicks get knocked out of Fultz or Ball because of 1 loss, I'll bitch about it then. But for god's sake that one would have hurt last night.

The win wasn't a draft killer because the schedule down the stretch is tough.  Plus, that they nearly lost at home to an undermanned Philly team bodes well for them to go on a much needed long losing streak.  My comment is more about Melo not being there when they really need him such as that bac stretch after 14-10 which ruined the season.  Melo was awful from the Suns game onward.