Your 2016-2017 New York Knicks Thread!!!

SMC

29 minutes ago, SMC said:

You painting Euros with such a broad brush says more about the foundation of your opinion than it does about KP.  KP isn't a prospect.  He's produced his 1st 2 years, with a 17+ PER each season (15 PER is league average for veteran players).

Only KP knows what he'll turn into, but his 1st two season are, in fact, better than Dirk's and Pau's 1st 2 years. That isn't to say he'll be better than those 2, but for you to be dismissive of him is ridiculous. 

I am not at all dismissive of him, I am dismissive of people believing that because his first two years were better than Dirks' and Pau's he will have a better career.

You don't like Euros?  Compare him to Derrick Coleman - dude had 20/10 out of the gate.  Build your team around him, how will it go?  Compare him to Brook Lopez.  Ask Shane how that works out.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Never said that

2 hours ago, thadude said:

You realize it takes NBA prospects at least 3-4 years to develop since they all come out at age 19?  Dirk was a nobody the Milwaukee Bucks pawned off the first couple years of his career.  

Even Steph Curry struggled and lost a lot his first two seasons in the NBA.  26-56 and 36-46 were the records of the Warriors his first two seasons

You compared him to Nowitzki and Steph Curry.  Yes, he may pan out as a superstar.  No, I do not believe it is likely.  There is a long road between even an all-star and an NBA stud centerpiece.

14 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Is Manute Bol a bad comparison for KP?

Bol's PER his first 2 years was 11 (at ages 23 & 24) while KP's is 17.6 (20 & 21).  So, yeah, it's a dreadful comparison.  But you and Pig-Pen have at it.

BTW, when Phil said that KP was available, it was reported that even the Spurs called the Knicks inquiring about a trade.  Yeah, KP sucks.

11 minutes ago, SMC said:

Bol's PER his first 2 years was 11 (at ages 23 & 24) while KP's is 17.6 (20 & 21).  So, yeah, it's a dreadful comparison.  But you and Pig-Pen have at it.

BTW, when Phil said that KP was available, it was reported that even the Spurs called the Knicks inquiring about a trade.  Yeah, KP sucks.

I was joking with Manute

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This Calipari thing has to be bullsh*t.

Yeah, Calipari denied it and multiple reporters denied it.

There are now more reports on Griffin being top candidate and they're meeting this weekend.

4 minutes ago, SMC said:

There are now more reports on Griffin being top candidate and they're meeting this weekend.

I don't even know what to make of that one. The problem is you're just hiring a guy that did everything Lebron directed him to do. The only things we have to go by are he didn't get ripped off on the Love trade and that he gave up a first rounder for the ghost of Kyle Korver.

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't even know what to make of that one. The problem is you're just hiring a guy that did everything Lebron directed him to do. The only things we have to go by are he didn't get ripped off on the Love trade and that he gave up a first rounder for the ghost of Kyle Korver.

Yeah, I have no idea either.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Don't. Just don't. We did this to ourselves 7 years ago. It's not happening ever.

At least we don't have to see Donnie Walsh wheeled in and out of player pitch meetings.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SMC said:

Fully expect Steve Mills to take Phils old title. Him or Houston. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Fully expect Steve Mills to take Phils old title. Him or Houston. 

Frankly, I wouldn't mind Mills or Houston.  They're not disasters and they won't have public feuds with players they gave no trade clauses to or draft in the 1st round.

2 minutes ago, SMC said:

At least we don't have to see Donnie Walsh wheeled in and out of player pitch meetings.

Lol I forgot about the wheelchair. Wasn't Dolan sitting next to him and all hungover or something like that?

Yes Lebron, we know Pat Riley just threw Dwayne Wade and South Beach at you, but check out this old schlub in a wheelchair and James Dolan.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SMC said:

Frankly, I wouldn't mind Mills or Houston.  They're not disasters and they won't have public feuds with players they gave no trade clauses to or draft in the 1st round.

Of course you wouldnt. You have to work for MSG...it's the only explanation.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SMC said:

Houston is all class. Been grinding in the FO for so long now too. Quite frankly that is the one justifiable in-house hire they could make.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Mills is a class guy too. Not sure I would want him for GM, but good people, though I think that Layden felt Mills did him wrong.

He's a super nice guy- met him once(cool story) but again he's a Dolan lackey. Phil was the first guy in here since Dolan took over that actually pushed back. All of his demands werent met, but at least there seemed to be some independence to make basketball decisions. The Knicks wouldnt be picking all of these Euro;s if Phil hadnt been here with the Gaines connect. We'd be sitting with our dick in our laps with Justice Winslows broke ass jumper.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Mills is a class guy too. Not sure I would want him for GM, but good people, though I think that Layden felt Mills did him wrong.

It's weird with him. On paper he has the experience to justify the gig, but his tenure at MSG is so weird. Like it's been a constant timeline of them trying to find a place for him and with Dolan that usually means something is afoot.

36 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's weird with him. On paper he has the experience to justify the gig, but his tenure at MSG is so weird. Like it's been a constant timeline of them trying to find a place for him and with Dolan that usually means something is afoot.

He hasn't been there straight through.  He came over from the NBA in 2003 and left while I was in Italy.  Had some gig with Magic Johnson.  He came back to the Knicks in 2013, but you could tell they were setting up to bring him back during the '11-'12 season.  His first time through he was dealing with all the sports teams, but I think now he is Knicks only.  He is a basketball guy, played for Carrill with Duchovny at Princeton and overseas, plus the stint at the NBA.  Great guy, great family.

FWIW, Houston seems to be a legit good guy too, though I have much less knowledge of him.  Strange thing is that they seemed to be grooming him, but I don't know his current position.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He hasn't been there straight through.  He came over from the NBA in 2003 and left while I was in Italy.  Had some gig with Magic Johnson.  He came back to the Knicks in 2013, but you could tell they were setting up to bring him back during the '11-'12 season.  His first time through he was dealing with all the sports teams, but I think now he is Knicks only.  He is a basketball guy, played for Carrill with Duchovny at Princeton and overseas, plus the stint at the NBA.  Great guy, great family.

FWIW, Houston seems to be a legit good guy too, though I have much less knowledge of him.  Strange thing is that they seemed to be grooming him, but I don't know his current position.  

GM'ing D League. My understanding is that he was basically a special assistant for different things over the years before heading to GM Westchester a few years back.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

George to OKC. Hope that bodes well for Cleveland finding some sort of way to swing a 3-way deal for Melo.

I haven't followed the NBA - except for the Knicks and Finals - in quite some time. What nibbles my cookie is that I don't get WHY Oladipo keeps getting traded? Evertyime I have seen him play, he's been sick; and I recall him being NASTY at Indiana. 

Sabonis should be the Pacers' 2nd coming of Detlef Schrempf: Polished game with solid size to post up smaller forwards and out dribble oafish 4 and 5's. 

14 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

bodes well for Cleveland finding some sort of way to swing a 3-way deal for Melo.

Ian Begley ESPN Staff Writer 

The Knicks and Rockets touched base recently on a trade involving Carmelo Anthony, per league sources, but they didn't gain much traction. One name that came up in talks was Ryan Anderson, per sources. But the Knicks said at that time that they weren't interested in Anderson, who has been shopped around by the Rockets. Anthony has a no-trade clause but the Rockets would seem to be an attractive destination for him because of the presence of good friend Chris Paul.

icon-espn-e-@2x.png
1h

48 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Ian Begley ESPN Staff Writer 

The Knicks and Rockets touched base recently on a trade involving Carmelo Anthony, per league sources, but they didn't gain much traction. One name that came up in talks was Ryan Anderson, per sources. But the Knicks said at that time that they weren't interested in Anderson, who has been shopped around by the Rockets. Anthony has a no-trade clause but the Rockets would seem to be an attractive destination for him because of the presence of good friend Chris Paul.

icon-espn-e-@2x.png
1h

Heeeeellll no. Anderson's contract is insane. They can give us Gordon or pick(s) or GTFO.

Guys, wake up. It doesnt matter who Dolan hires. Dolan is the problem.

Dude has chased away HOF coaches/executives like Larry Brown, Donnie Walsh, D'Antoni (a respected coach) and now Phil freakin Jackson.

Why? Because he doesnt let these guys do their job. 

Phil probably asked Dolan to buy out Melo, he refused and Phil said i'm leaving. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Barton said:

Guys, wake up. It doesnt matter who Dolan hires. Dolan is the problem.

Dude has chased away HOF coaches/executives like Larry Brown, Donnie Walsh, D'Antoni (a respected coach) and now Phil freakin Jackson.

Why? Because he doesnt let these guys do their job. 

Phil probably asked Dolan to buy out Melo, he refused and Phil said i'm leaving. 

Dolan has too many soldiers. Look at the jackasses in this thread. Defend to the death....

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

I haven't followed the NBA - except for the Knicks and Finals - in quite some time. What nibbles my cookie is that I don't get WHY Oladipo keeps getting traded? Evertyime I have seen him play, he's been sick; and I recall him being NASTY at Indiana. 

Sabonis should be the Pacers' 2nd coming of Detlef Schrempf: Polished game with solid size to post up smaller forwards and out dribble oafish 4 and 5's. 

Oladipo can ball but for OKC that is one hell of a salary dump and they get a year of George. Perfect fit IMO. 

I don't get it with Indy though. Really weird move. Reeks of just bringing in a hometown dude rather than trying to maximize value. They couldn't have swung for picks? Especially with how bad Ainge wanted him? Weird.