Your 2016-2017 New York Knicks Thread!!!

SMC

36 minutes ago, SMC said:

Dude, I'm just a fan relaying what Woj reported.  I have no idea whether he's willing to waive or not.  I can only go off of what Woj (as well as Ramona Shelbourne who corroborated) says and they say he's willing to waive for Rockets and Cavs.

Fair enough. With all the stuff that's gone on it just seems unlikely he's getting moved. Doubtful Lebron's in much rush to shake up his roster with how weak the east already is. He's not going to give up Love....

48 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Fair enough. With all the stuff that's gone on it just seems unlikely he's getting moved. Doubtful Lebron's in much rush to shake up his roster with how weak the east already is. He's not going to give up Love....

I have no idea what will happen with Melo.

Putting aside the Melo factor, as to LeBron, I don't think he's content staying as-is given how the Warriors manhandled the Cavs in the Finals.  Because they're hard capped there isn't much they can do.

4 hours ago, Larz said:

It looks like he wanted mills out of the way and his own staff as well

this never had a chance.

they just want a lackey, a GM in title only

they won't get anyone

Isiah is calling the shots again while pretending to manage the girls team

6 hours ago, SenorGato said:

RJF might be pleased to hear that I am hopping on the Knicks wagon. I like the G they drafted. 

I'm actually excited to see this young core play together next season with or without Melo

I just pray Millsiah doesn't do something really stupid like trade for Love

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Who's the John Idzik of the NBA? 

Dunno

I'm packing a bag for the amusement park tomorrow with my son and his buddies. I literally only have 2 types of hats in the house, Jets and Knicks.  Just take the sunburn like a man?

NYP reporting that Mills is making a serious power play to be in charge of literally everything. Was cool with Griffin being in charge of personnel but that's it. Griffen was adamant about Houston being out so he could bring in his own guy, but Mills has final say on everything and Houston is Dolan's boy.

The good news is that they're also saying Mills' relationship with Isiah has gone to sh*t. So I guess that's something to not groan about.

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

NYP reporting that Mills is making a serious power play to be in charge of literally everything. Was cool with Griffin being in charge of personnel but that's it. Griffen was adamant about Houston being out so he could bring in his own guy, but Mills has final say on everything and Houston is Dolan's boy.

The good news is that they're also saying Mills' relationship with Isiah has gone to sh*t. So I guess that's something to not groan about.

Good God what a dumpster fire of a mess the Knicks have become. Oh to long for the days of Dave Checketts and Ernie Grunfeld. . . . . 

16 hours ago, SMC said:

Dude, I'm just a fan relaying what Woj reported.  I have no idea whether he's willing to waive or not.  I can only go off of what Woj (as well as Ramona Shelbourne who corroborated) says and they say he's willing to waive for Rockets and Cavs.

Begley also reported yesterday that Melo is confident he's going to Houston. Third team will definitely have to be involved as Houston will have to move Anderson and Mills is refusing a 1-for-1. I don't know who the hell is going to take on Anderson's deal because that is one of the worst contracts in the league, but stranger things have happened.

Morey loves Melo. Always has. They put that big poster up of him in a Rockets jersey (the one where they gave him Lin's number and then Lin got all pissed) when Morey was pitching him as a FA and Morey never made any secret of any of this. The fact that Paul is there now and the Rockets are trying to load up to challenge GS makes Houston the most logical partner, even more than Cleveland.

None of this is cryptic. It's been all out in the open. Just a matter of if they can find a third team at this point.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Are you kidding?  Lebron has been trying to get rid of Love the last 2 years

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Begley also reported yesterday that Melo is confident he's going to Houston. Third team will definitely have to be involved as Houston will have to move Anderson and Mills is refusing a 1-for-1. I don't know who the hell is going to take on Anderson's deal because that is one of the worst contracts in the league, but stranger things have happened.

Morey loves Melo. Always has. They put that big poster up of him in a Rockets jersey (the one where they gave him Lin's number and then Lin got all pissed) when Morey was pitching him as a FA and Morey never made any secret of any of this. The fact that Paul is there now and the Rockets are trying to load up to challenge GS makes Houston the most logical partner, even more than Cleveland.

None of this is cryptic. It's been all out in the open. Just a matter of if they can find a third team at this point.

I'm hearing a three way trade with the Bulls.  Rockets get Melo, we get Rondo and bulls get Ariza and another player

I'll take that deal.  Just pls no more trading draft picks

1 hour ago, thadude said:

It would be a sign and trade the Knicks can only offer Rondo $4.3 mil as a free agent

The only way that works is if the Bulls agree to take on Ryan Anderson's crazy contract which has 3/60 left on it.  Rockets can't do a deal for Melo without getting rid of Anderson because they're up against the cap.

In any deal between Rockets and Knicks, a third team has to be involved.  Bulls work because they are so far under the cap and have a $15M trade exception for Butler.

Steve mills as president???allan Houston as gm?? Why does this "organization" always have a laggard from the past regime that prevents us from ever truly cleaning house? Herb Williams, Allan Houston, Steve mills, isiah Thomas, Kurt rambis....we are never able to really hit the reset button

I don't think the money for the Baker contract is outrageous at all.  2 years $8.9 mil is chump change in today's NBA where JAG's are getting close to max deals and JJ Reddick is getting $20+ million.  Baker was actually decent last year and probably will end up as the starting pg 

What I do not get is Baker having a player option after next season.  Baker is going to be good next season and he will get a big offer if he hits the market next summer as UFA

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This Baker contract. Oh my god.

I am starting to think Mills doesn't understand the CBA. We are ******* doomed.

Yeah, the Baker contract number is nuts, but I don't understand people's criticism of the player option.  It's not 2 years plus an option.  It's 1 year and the second year is an option if Baker picks it up.  Same for Timmy.

The reason they gave Baker a player option is that they get his full Bird's rights next year if he opts out because he's been on the team for 2 consecutive seasons.

16 minutes ago, SMC said:

Yeah, the Baker contract number is nuts, but I don't understand people's criticism of the player option.  It's not 2 years plus an option.  It's 1 year and the second year is an option if Baker picks it up.  Same for Timmy.

The reason they gave Baker a player option is that they get his full Bird's rights next year if he opts out because he's been on the team for 2 consecutive seasons.

The reason they gave Baker a player option is Mills is stupid and Baker's agent isn't.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SMC said:

Come on man. A 2 year deal with a player option is the worst contract you can possibly hand out and you know it. They play well, they opt out and leave and get paid market value for more. They play poorly, they opt in and take the money.  There is no benefit to the team in this signing given the structure of the contract. The Hardaway and Baker deals show that Mills doesn't know anything about cap space or how the CBA works at all. You build a team by having players on contracts that are cheaper than the results they give you on the court. Why the **** does Ron Baker get a player option? Ron Baker? Seriously?

• Upvote 1

And keep in mind, if the Melo deal falls through, the cap flexibility that we had at the beginning of the summer is now gone for the next few years, and we used that on Tim Hardaway and Ron Baker. WHAT.

Also, for reference, KP and Baker are going to be making the same amount of money this year. Let that sink in.

29 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And keep in mind, if the Melo deal falls through, the cap flexibility that we had at the beginning of the summer is now gone for the next few years, and we used that on Tim Hardaway and Ron Baker. WHAT.

Also, for reference, KP and Baker are going to be making the same amount of money this year. Let that sink in.

Seems about right, honestly.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, SMC said:

So you think 2 years $8.9 mil for Baker is "nuts" but to use the Bird exception to give him another, much bigger contract next summer after he gets starter minutes next season makes sense

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The Hardway deal was retarded but Baker getting $4 mil salary is not outrageous at all.  The dumb part is giving Baker an opt out

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Come on man. A 2 year deal with a player option is the worst contract you can possibly hand out and you know it. They play well, they opt out and leave and get paid market value for more. They play poorly, they opt in and take the money.  There is no benefit to the team in this signing given the structure of the contract. The Hardaway and Baker deals show that Mills doesn't know anything about cap space or how the CBA works at all. You build a team by having players on contracts that are cheaper than the results they give you on the court. Why the **** does Ron Baker get a player option? Ron Baker? Seriously?

Baker is going to get starter minutes next season and be quite productive.  This is Jeremy Lin part 2

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't mind the player option.  Baker walks, he walks.  I have a problem with the $4 mil salary.  That's too much for 1 year or middling production.

So you think 2 years $8.9 mil for Baker is "nuts" but to use the Bird exception to give him another, much bigger contract next summer after he gets starter minutes next season makes sense

If he gets the Bird exception it means he's earned it.  

The Hardway deal was retarded but Baker getting $4 mil salary is not outrageous at all.  The dumb part is giving Baker an opt out

Actually, Hardaway's deal was market, but Knicks didn't game it right by seeing if they could pay him less to just above what Hawks would match.

16 hours ago, SMC said:

Actually, Hardaway's deal was market, but Knicks didn't game it right by seeing if they could pay him less to just above what Hawks would match.

Hardaway is a streaky shooter who is a mediocre defender.  JR Smith minus the attitude problems. Even if they get rid of Melo we still have Lee and Kuzminskas as wing players plus Dotson killed it in the summer league and already looks ready.  Nktilina can also play some at the 2

The Hardaway contract is how I know Isiah is in charge again