I'll Never Forget...

Happy Clouds

As Jets fans, we have been provided with a lifetime of stories. A lot bad, but some really good.  I'd like to share one.

When I was a kid, my favorite player was John Riggins. (Showing my age here) 

Big, bruising, running back. Fast, powerful, bit of a free spirit off the field. I believe the word flaky was used by some. His talent stood out on those early '70s teams that weren't very good.

I remember thinking it would be great to have his autograph.  I took a piece of paper. Wrote my name and address on it. Put it in an envelope and addressed to Shea Stadium, our former home. 

Season went on. I waited every day for the mail to come. Hoping. Come on. Let today be the day. 

Nothing. Season ended. Oh well. I sort of forgot about it. 

Forward ahead to the middle of that summer, and a large brown envelope came with my name on it. As a kid, I never got mail. And this had a return address in Kansas. I don't know anyone in Kansas.

I opened it to find 2 large autographed pictures of John Riggins. Looking back on it, he was probably too busy to handle those requests during the season (nowadays I'm sure some front office P.R. person handles it).

Yet, he took some time, in the off season, from his home in Kansas, to send a young fan his picture. Cool guy. My hero.

John eventually ended up on the Redskins and became a Hall of Fame player.  But, he was a Hall of Famer to me, long before he was officially inducted. Occasionally, I still smile when I think about that time.

Through the years, I unfortunately, lost those autographed pictures.

But, I will never lose the memory, or the joy, he put into one little kid.

I'll never forget.....

Yeah, thanks. At a time when we all tend to focus a lot on the negative aspects of some athletes, I just wanted to show that there are some really good guys out there.

And years from now, I'm sure I'll never forget the butt fumble either.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Do you guys remember the Joe Namath electric football I dont have the game anymore but I still have the free picture that was included. 

What about the uniforms they used to sell with the shoulder pads,helmet,pants and jersey I still have the Namath jersey. 

Image result for joe namath electric football game

I had a generic version of that game.  Wish I still had my Namath jersey.  

Do you guys remember the Joe Namath electric football I dont have the game anymore but I still have the free picture that was included. 

What about the uniforms they used to sell with the shoulder pads,helmet,pants and jersey I still have the Namath jersey. 

Image result for joe namath electric football game

I had the game. Never was able to get the qb to throw the ball right though

I have a sad story to tell.

Im a huge Jet fan was 8 years old when they won the Super Bowl. My favorite group after that was the Sack Exchange years & Joe Klecko was the MAN. 

I moved to Worcester Ma & saw that Klecko would be at some fair for Bud Light type of Promo. So, I head out with my young son at the time & looking forward to meeting Klecko. So there he is sitting there & I walk up, let him know I've been a huge Jet fan & that he & the Jets were robbed in Miami in 82.

He looks up at me & with zero enthusiasm says, "who do want the autograph signed to?" I'm could care less about stupid autographs, I didn't go to get one, I just thought it would be cool to meet Joe. So, I said make it to my son.

He sighs this preprinted Bud Light thing, slides it to us, gets up & walks away, lol. I walked away thinking, "wow, and I get emotionally involved being a Jet fan?".

Years later, I found out that Klecko had a miriad of financial troubles & im sure traveling around with Bud Light after being a star football player is a huge letdown. He sure didn't hind it, he was a miserable SOB when I saw him after he retired.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I have a sad story to tell.

Im a huge Jet fan was 8 years old when they won the Super Bowl. My favorite group after that was the Sack Exchange years & Joe Klecko was the MAN. 

I moved to Worcester Ma & saw that Klecko would be at some fair for Bud Light type of Promo. So, I head out with my young son at the time & looking forward to meeting Klecko. So there he is sitting there & I walk up, let him know I've been a huge Jet fan & that he & the Jets were robbed in Miami in 82.

He looks up at me & with zero enthusiasm says, "who do want the autograph signed to?" I'm could care less about stupid autographs, I didn't go to get one, I just thought it would be cool to meet Joe. So, I said make it to my son.

He sighs this preprinted Bud Light thing, slides it to us, gets up & walks away, lol. I walked away thinking, "wow, and I get emotionally involved being a Jet fan?".

Years later, I found out that Klecko had a miriad of financial troubles & im sure traveling around with Bud Light after being a star football player is a huge letdown. He sure didn't hind it, he was a miserable SOB when I saw him after he retired.

Sorry to hear.  Seemed decent when he was on SNY wrap up show. Maybe he was finally getting his life together by then. Still, no excuse.

I was in line years ago at Jets camp at Hofsra with my son he was 9 at the time to get Greg Buttle's autograph this guy  in front of me with a milk crate of pictures and cards puts down about a dozen cards for Buttle to sign. Buttle says pick 2 and after he signed them he bent the corners. So these guys put up with a lot of crap from people signing napkins pieces of paper stuff that probably doesn't make it home from an event. 

Stories of us older Jets fans sharing experiences isn't a joke if you dont like the thread topic stay out of it no reason you should be busting anyones balls over this, 

Grow up 

Ok JW12. Wasn't busting any balls. sorry you couldn't find the actual message in that humor. 

Klecko, the player, showed nothing but class. Quiet, yet devastatingly efficient.  While Gastineau helped bring upon us the "look at me, look what I did" dance, Klecko just did his job.

Probably a Hall of Fame player, maybe not a Hall of Fame person.

That was one great D- line we had

1 minute ago, Happy Clouds said:

Klecko, the player, showed nothing but class. Quiet, yet devastatingly efficient.  While Gastineau helped bring upon us the "look at me, look what I did" dance, Klecko just did his job.

Probably a Hall of Fame player, maybe not a Hall of Fame person.

That was one great D- line we had

Agree if only the players today played with that much intensity and heart 

2 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

Could you young folk please use bigger letters? HARD FOR US OLD TIMERS TO SEE THOSE LITTLE ONES

Negative rep them and tell them where to go no reason for them to be posting sh*t like that in a thread like this they think they are cool. 

Archived