SALARY CAP dept. : which Jets could be gone after this season to create cap space ? ? ?

kelly

@DarrylSlater  With the Jets projected to be at or over the cap to start 2017, what names are you expecting to see let go ?

There are several moves the Jets could make next offseason to create salary cap space. Cornerback Darrelle Revis has a $15.3 million cap number for 2017, so he could be asked to take a pay cut. His base salary next year is $13 million. Just $6 million of that is guaranteed. If the Jets cut Revis and he signs elsewhere, they would receive offset cap credit based on that $6 million, depending on how much Revis gets from his next team.

Another pay-cut candidate: left tackle Ryan Clady, who has a $10.5 million cap hit and $10 million non-guaranteed base salary. The Jets would save $10 million against the cap by cutting him. Some other potential cuts the Jets could make, depending on how the rest of the season unfolds: free safety Marcus Gilchrist ($5.375 million cap savings), middle linebacker David Harris ($6.5 million savings), right tackle Breno Giacomini ($4.5 million savings), and kicker Nick Folk ($3 million savings). 

rest of above article  : 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/10/which_jets_could_be_gone_after_this_season_to_crea.html#incart_river_index

I think Clady gets restructured since the contract is not guaranteed along with Revis - moving to safety?, since he has fallen off a cliff for whatever reason. Skrine needs to be talked about a paycut since he is not worth 8 million next year. Think they definitely need to get rid of Gilchrist, Harris and Giacomini as for various reasons they are underperforming, overpaid or a combination of both. I think there is no way you get rid of Folk. He has been pretty reliable. It will be interesting to see if sheldon richardson will be used as trade bait for draft picks since 2017 is the last year of his contract.

• Thumb Down 1

Several no brainers, in my opinion:

Gilchrist -- $5.4MM savings

Giacomini -- $4.5MM savings

Jarvis Jenkins -- $3MM savings

Henderson -- $2.75MM savings

If you can get a day 2 pick for Sheldon, that would be another $8MM savings.  After seeing what our run defense looked like without Harris last week, I think I would prefer to restructure him rather than cut him outright.  He would have been on my list before last week.

As for Jarvis Jenkins, I am hoping we just cut him within the next week -- I think we would net a 4th round comp pick for losing Snacks if we release Jenkins before the trade deadline.  As it stands now, we do not appear to be in line for any comp picks. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Revis, Richardson, Skrine and perhaps Marshall or Decker, to name the obvious. Breno and Clady are also on the list. We simply don't have a replacement for Mangold, thanks past GMs

Skrine can't be cut now and save any money. They restructured his deal to make room this year. We're stuck with that terrible player for at least another year. 

It also makes zero sense Breno is even still on the team. They should have cut him this offseason rather than PUP'd him. All of this cap mismanagement does not give me faith in Mac. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

This was covered in the other "Reset" Thread, but the Jets are perfectly fine in regards to the Cap space in 2017 due to the clever and pragmatic contracts that MacCags and J. Davidson drew up. There are no ball&chain contracts that can't be cut without major ramifications anymore. As stated in another $hitmini article, Vets are re-signed to really 2-3 year deals that can be terminated once that player no longer validates the later (and inflated salary) while we keep stocking Depth, and hopefully talent, via the draft. Revis, Harris, Gilchrist, Clady, Marshall, and even WIlk's extension are short term Guaranteed deals that give the Jets an out. Only the ReNegotiated Carpenter & Skrine deals added weight (years to feasibly cut w/lil' Dead $) and that was to create room to squeeze in Fitzy for 2016 - ANOTHER underrated move in that the Jets DID NOT capitulate to a MULTI-YR deal that would have saddle-bagged us ala Tanny. It's part of the "Competitive Rebuild" that is a delicate balance of building a team through the draft and signing complimentary veteran FAs who are "bridges" until the draft picks develop and replace them accordingly. It's having your cake and eating it too and that's BECAUSE we're in the 10 Pro Sports team NYC market competing for fans and media where the  DEMAND is a team be competitive or they become lost and - Woody's BIGGEST FEAR - IRRELEVANT. 

So we'll be FINE Cap-wise in 2017. I believe there is a SOLID plan in place and the REAL HONUS is on Mac to HIT on his picks. 

Mac has built young & cheap depth, which has been lacking since 2010, but is YET to show a solid draft "hit" besides the given of Leo Williams. Of the 2015 class: Maulden, Petty, & Simon have given us badly needed depth while WR Smith and OL Harrison have been snake eyes. This year he essentially selected 3 starters in Lee, Jenkins, and Lachlan Edwards with 2 Physical Specimen "Wildcards" in QB Hackenberg & RT Shell. And then there was the JACKPOT with landing 3 talented, yet developing, WR talents in Peake, Marshall, & Anderson.

I honestly think Burris was still a good pick and that he'll come around

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

Unless Revis rebounds - make him take a pay cut or cut him - starting to remind me of cromartie a lil bit and Clady - restructure or gone. (I have a feeling one of these guys will get cut tho to free up space) 

Revis is gone. I honestly think another team, like the Cowboys, will be dumb enough to be willing to pay him $7m per year

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Revis is gone. I honestly think another team, like the Cowboys, will be dumb enough to be willing to pay him $7m per year

The question is whether Revis basically chooses to do nothing for $6mm or play NFL football for $7mm.  If the Jets really have an offset right on the $6mm, that was very good negotiating.

I can see that going either way.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

How Jets GM Mike Maccagnan can create $50 million in cap room

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Greetings from the West Coast. Our New York Jetsquestion of the week deals with looming salary-cap cuts -- a hot button issue:

@RichCimini: Right now, the Jets have about $166 million committed toward what is projected as a $166 million cap, according to overthecap.com. That's no breathing room. Ah, but that number is deceiving because general manager Mike Maccagnan can clear serious cap space (your words, John) by dumping some veterans.

If they cut the four players you mention, they'd clear $30.4 million in cap space. Because Brandon Marshall, Nick Mangold and Breno Giacomini are entering the final year of their contracts, the acceleration charge would be minimal -- only $625,000. Darrelle Revis is in a different category because he still has three years left, including a $6 million guarantee in 2017. So they'd get stuck with that on their cap.

Let's take it further. If they cut David Harris and Ryan Clady and trade Sheldon Richardson, there's another $24.6 million in savings. That would bring them up to $55 million in cap room, which would create tremendous flexibility in free agency.

It might sound wonderful, but you'd have a roster with a lot of holes. You just can't cut everybody without having a plan to replace those players. Maccagnan will have to make value judgments, such as: Do they trust Wesley Johnson to replace Mangold? Is Brandon Shell or Brent Qvale ready to succeed Giacomini? Revis isn't having a great year, but where's his heir apparent? Can you squeeze another year out of Harris if he's only a two-down linebacker?

Clady is a goner, so that's a $10 million savings. But you get the point; there has to be a strategy. They can also save money by reworking some of these contracts, which I could see happening with Mangold. I think Richardson will get traded, but his value is so low that might be wishful thinking.

The bottom line is, yes, there will be a lot of bloodshed in the offseason.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65512/how-jets-gm-mike-maccagnan-can-create-50-million-in-cap-room

This is easy. Get rid of everyone! This team has sucked so badly, none of them should be allowed to come back and collect their overinflated paychecks! I would have no aversion to starting over as an expansion team so to speak. We are going to suck regardless for the next 3-5 years so what the hell. Rebuild it the right way for once.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, kelly said:

How Jets GM Mike Maccagnan can create $50 million in cap room

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Greetings from the West Coast. Our New York Jetsquestion of the week deals with looming salary-cap cuts -- a hot button issue:

@RichCimini: Right now, the Jets have about $166 million committed toward what is projected as a $166 million cap, according to overthecap.com. That's no breathing room. Ah, but that number is deceiving because general manager Mike Maccagnan can clear serious cap space (your words, John) by dumping some veterans.

If they cut the four players you mention, they'd clear $30.4 million in cap space. Because Brandon Marshall, Nick Mangold and Breno Giacomini are entering the final year of their contracts, the acceleration charge would be minimal -- only $625,000. Darrelle Revis is in a different category because he still has three years left, including a $6 million guarantee in 2017. So they'd get stuck with that on their cap.

Let's take it further. If they cut David Harris and Ryan Clady and trade Sheldon Richardson, there's another $24.6 million in savings. That would bring them up to $55 million in cap room, which would create tremendous flexibility in free agency.

It might sound wonderful, but you'd have a roster with a lot of holes. You just can't cut everybody without having a plan to replace those players. Maccagnan will have to make value judgments, such as: Do they trust Wesley Johnson to replace Mangold? Is Brandon Shell or Brent Qvale ready to succeed Giacomini? Revis isn't having a great year, but where's his heir apparent? Can you squeeze another year out of Harris if he's only a two-down linebacker?

Clady is a goner, so that's a $10 million savings. But you get the point; there has to be a strategy. They can also save money by reworking some of these contracts, which I could see happening with Mangold. I think Richardson will get traded, but his value is so low that might be wishful thinking.

The bottom line is, yes, there will be a lot of bloodshed in the offseason.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65512/how-jets-gm-mike-maccagnan-can-create-50-million-in-cap-room

I thought Qvale/Ijalana at RT (not LT for Ijalana) looked semi decent when the year started

• Upvote 1

We're obviously not going to be good next year, none of them are part of our future...why not ditch all of these guys? Marshall has trade value (some is better than none), Decker and Sheldon will as well. They're not part of our future, get what you can for them while you can. Let's do a rebuild the right way. No time to get sentimental about Mangold, this is a business, not a retirement party. I loved him just as much as the next guy, but he's not worth this pay and he's constantly injured now. He's no help to this team at this point, sorry.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jets' big-money players have failed, and now it's time to cash out

play

0:30
/
0:45

ss_20161218_005238580_689901_3.jpg0:24

Todd Bowles delivered a rather succinct state-of-the-team Sunday. He did it in 15 words :

"Special teams have been disappointing. The defense has been disappointing. The offense has been disappointing."

Yep, that pretty much covers the New York Jets' season.

One of the big reasons why they're 4-10 is because their high-priced veterans have disappointed, setting the stage for what promises to be a bloody offseason. It's time to rebuild, which means parting ways with some household names.

The 10 highest-paid players (based on 2016 earnings) combined for only five touchdowns, four sacks, one interception and 10 touchdown passes. Total bill: $93.4 million. Of the 10, only two are locks to return next year -- Muhammad Wilkerson and Darron Lee.

Here you go :

1. Wilkerson ($22 million): He has gone six straight games without a sack, his longest slump since his rookie year, 2011. His total is only 2.5, one less than run-stuffer Steve McLendon, who hasn't played in four weeks. It's an understatement to say Wilkerson hasn't lived up to his $86 million contract, but they can't cut him because his 2017 salary ($14.75 million) is fully guaranteed and the cap hit would be prohibitive. Plus, he's still only 27; it would be premature to give up on him.

2. CB Darrelle Revis ($17 million): Thanks for the memories. No longer capable of being a shutdown corner, Revis, 31, has to go. The economics aren't great -- they owe him $6 million guaranteed in 2017 -- but football overrules the money in this case. Write the check and move on. His inability to play press-man has had a sweeping impact on the defense. During Saturday night's telecast, NBC analyst Tony Dungy seemed taken aback by how much cushion Revis was giving to receivers. Revis has said he's willing to play safety. Why would they move him to safety if he doesn't tackle as a corner? Look at the bright side: They'd save $9.3 million on the cap by cutting him.

3. QB Ryan Fitzpatrick ($12 million): He has 15 interceptions, the same number as last season. The problem is, he reached 15 with 210 fewer attempts and there are two games to go. His contract automatically voids after the Super Bowl and he will be a free agent. Fitzpatrick, 34, held the organization hostage for six months, finally getting the money he wanted. There's no way to determine whether the contract dispute made an impact on the season, but it certainly set a bad tone. He'll be playing elsewhere next year.

4. WR Brandon Marshall ($9.5 million): His season hit rock bottom Saturday night. He was targeted 11 times and had only one reception, the lowest receiving percentage in the league this season (minimum: 10 targets) and the lowest by a Jets receiver in 10 years, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. Don't forget: The Miami Dolphins played without their top corner, Byron Maxwell, for almost the entire game. Marshall might be able to help a contender next year, but a 33-year-old receiver doesn't fit a rebuilding program, not with a $7.5 million salary. Maybe they can trade him for a late-round pick.

5. LB David Harris ($7.5 million): Like Revis, Harris is a future Ring of Honor member. He's still a factor as a box linebacker, but he doesn't have the pass-coverage skills to be a three-down linebacker anymore. Still, he's worth keeping at a reduced salary because he's the kind of player you want in your locker room.

6. LT Ryan Clady ($6.6 million): He lasted eight games before breaking down, so the final tab was $825,000 per game. There's a $10 million option for next year, money he'll never see from the Jets.

7. CB Buster Skrine ($6.5 million): They took him out of his comfort zone -- slot corner -- and tried to make him an every-down player. The result: A sub-par season. Skrine has two years left on his deal, but his $8.5 million cap charge makes him vulnerable.

8. WR Eric Decker ($6.5 million): The Jets got only three games out of Decker before he went down with shoulder and hip injuries. His cap charge next year is a pricey $8.75 million and he turns 30 before next season. Age, injury and a high cap number usually spell doom, but it wouldn't make sense to cut him and Marshall. Decker stays, assuming his rehab goes well.

9. C Nick Mangold ($6.2 million): This is a tough call. He, too, will have his name in the ROH some day, but his $9.1 million cap charge next year is prohibitive. Mangold, who turns 33 in a few weeks, must take a pay cut or be gone. It wouldn't be a shock if he retires.

10. Lee ($6.1 million): He's had a so-so rookie year, but he's considered part of the solution, not the problem.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/65753/jets-big-money-players-have-failed-and-now-its-time-to-cash-out

On October 22, 2016 at 1:20 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Skrine can't be cut now and save any money. They restructured his deal to make room this year. We're stuck with that terrible player for at least another year. 

It also makes zero sense Breno is even still on the team. They should have cut him this offseason rather than PUP'd him. All of this cap mismanagement does not give me faith in Mac. 

Skrine has had a terrible year but a lot of that I think is the fault of bad coaching, 0 pass rush and overall frustration

If we get rid of this God-Awful coaching staff and somehow add a pass rusher in the draft he can bounce back next season

1 minute ago, DMan77 said:

Kudos to Mack and his team for getting contracts like this signed... The guys made a lot of guaranteed money but the structures are going to allow the Jets to reset and build around the new young depth they've brought in these last couple of years.

Makes you long for the days of Dumbway and Tanenbomb giving out 5 year guaranteed deals like candy

13 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Skrine has had a terrible year but a lot of that I think is the fault of bad coaching, 0 pass rush and overall frustration

If we get rid of this God-Awful coaching staff and somehow add a pass rusher in the draft he can bounce back next season

No. Skrine has sucked his entire career and has sucked even more as a Jet. He's the worst free agency move Macc has made and he made it worse by messing with the money. Skrine is terrible. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No. Skrine has sucked his entire career and has sucked even more as a Jet. He's the worst free agency move Macc has made and he made it worse by messing with the money. Skrine is terrible. 

Well, there are so many to choose from. I think you have to give honorable mention to Jarvis Jenkins. $3m for 9 games as a backup. Why, in week 1 with Sheldon on suspension, he even once played 20 defensive snaps in a single game! $25,000 per snap rofl.

Besides, Skrine is likely the only FA DB he's added - out of 4 - who's likely to see a 3rd season here. So he outlasted Revis, Cromartie, and probably the $6m Gilchrist as well. The most expensive secondary in the history of the NFL -- (to play for a career DB coach turned HC!) 

*sigh* What a maroon. 

-- The last time they played on New Year's Day, the New York Jets went public with their infighting. It was Jan. 1, 2012, the day of the infamous Santonio Holmes-Wayne Hunter altercation. Ah, such memories.

Would anybody be surprised if they ring in the New Year on Sunday with a Brandon Marshall-Sheldon Richardson sideline spat? It would be an unfortunate, yet fitting way to end a rotten season marked by locker room turmoil.

It will be a grim scene at MetLife Stadium, where the Jets (4-11) have won only once in seven tries. The twice-benched Ryan Fitzpatrick, in his final game as a Jet, will be leading an injury-riddled offense that couldn't find the end zone with the Waze app. The Buffalo Bills (7-8) fired coach Rex Ryan and benched quarterback Tyrod Taylor because they didn't want to be on the hook for his contract in the event of an injury, so we know how they're approaching the game.

Welcome to the dark side of the NFL's regular season.

"It's tough," Fitzpatrick said. "They're out of the playoffs, we're out of the playoffs. We've been out of the playoffs for a while. We'll have some young guys, I think, maybe get some experience at receiver or running back or wherever it is in line. I think it's just another opportunity to go out there for all of us to focus on playing the game we love and trying to have fun with it."

Five thoughts:

1. Waiting on Woody: The biggest question surrounding the team is the future of the Todd Bowles-Mike Maccagnan tandem -- and it's really not a huge mystery. Barring an 11th-hour change of heart, owner Woody Johnson is expected to retain his coach and general manager, giving them a mulligan for 2016. Johnson has been leaning this way for weeks, according to people close to him. It won't be a popular decision, but it's the right decision. It has been an awful year, but it would be a knee-jerk reaction to fire them after only two years. Could a blowout loss change his mind? Johnson has been known to flip-flop. Ask Eric Mangini.

2. Say goodbye: There will be a massive -- repeat, massive -- roster overhaul in the offseason, so this could mark the final game in a Jets uniform for many household names. Players on the bubble include Marshall, Richardson, Darrelle Revis, David Harris and Calvin Pryor. Marshall, Harris and Revis are potential cap casualties, with Richardson and Pryor candidates for the trading block. Revis and Harris are future members of the Ring of Honor. Frankly, I think Harris will stick, but Revis is a likely goner. Maybe he can make his first interception of the season in his final game.

3. A cameo for Hack? Fans will see Christian Hackenberg in a uniform for the first time since the preseason. With Bryce Petty (shoulder) on injured reserve, Hackenberg will be the No. 2 quarterback, one of the 46 active players for the game. Much to the chagrin of the fan base, Bowles isn't planning to play the rookie, except for maybe late mop-up duty. That means there's a good chance he'll get significant action, considering nothing this year has gone according to plan.

4. Draft implications: No matter what happens, the Jets will draft fourth, fifth or sixth. They're currently in the No. 6 spot, which is where they'd stay with a win or a Chargers loss. To get to No. 4, they'd have to lose and the Jaguars, Bears and Rams would have to win, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

5. Hard-to-believe stats: If the Jets don't make an interception or recover a fumble, they will finish with only 11 takeaways, tying an NFL record for the fewest in a season. The Bills have committed a league-low nine turnovers. Still, if the Jets can't intercept EJ Manuel, shame on them. ... The only times they finished 1-7 or worse at home were 1996 (0-8) and 1989 (1-7). ... The Jets have scored six or fewer points in a league-high four games.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66043/todd-bowles-likely-back-but-several-big-name-jets-will-receive-pink-slips

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 6:31 PM, David Harris said:

Notes- I actually still like Skrine, he's better in the slot, he did have the worst game of his career last week

i like Mac a lot still- I think most GM's really need 5 years to bear real fruit 

even if it its "uglyfruit"?

cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

As of now, the Jets face serious cap issues for 2017, but GM Mike Maccagnan said today "we do have the ability to create a significant amount of cap space if we choose." They can carve out anywhere from $20M to $50M, depending on how many veterans they want to cut. (Courtesy: Boomer and Carton Show, WFAN radio.)

1 minute ago, kelly said:
cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

As of now, the Jets face serious cap issues for 2017, but GM Mike Maccagnan said today "we do have the ability to create a significant amount of cap space if we choose." They can carve out anywhere from $20M to $50M, depending on how many veterans they want to cut. (Courtesy: Boomer and Carton Show, WFAN radio.)

I saw a blurb a couple weeks ago that ranked the Jets as #2 in terms of teams with the most potential space to clear. This might be what the contracts Mac has been giving out were for... clear space, go into year 3 with 3 draft classes on the roster, and start augmenting with good contracts for up-and-coming players (and a QB?)

I dunno. I want to give the benefit of the doubt that they were planning all along for year 3 to be an impact year.

• 2 weeks later...

The Jets on Monday made their first significant offseason move, as they gave right guard Brian Winters -- their top pending in-house free agent -- a four-year contract extension worth just shy of $8 million annually.

But a lot of work remains as this team tries to rebuild. While the Jets dive into their offseason work, we caught up with Jason Fitzgerald, who runs the comprehensive website Overthecap.com.

Fitzgerald, a Jets fan, also recently co-authored an excellent book called "Crunching Numbers." It's about the NFL salary cap and player contract negotiations -- Fitzgerald's areas of expertise. 

Just like we did last offseason, we sent Fitzgerald some Jets offseason/cap questions to answer. His insightful responses are below. 

Q: What should the Jets do with Darrelle Revis?

A: I don't think the Jets are in a great position with Revis, because they do owe him $6 million, and paying him to go and play with another team won't look good. That said, I don't think the Jets can pay him more than that to keep him on the team. The Jets will need to approach him to reduce his salary -- which is $15 million for the year -- down to his $6 million guarantee. That would free up $9 million in cap room and give the Jets a chance to try him at safety or keep him at corner in a depleted secondary. If he is unwilling to drop his salary for the year to $6 million, the Jets will need to cut him and keep their fingers crossed he doesn't have a second career as a safety for a rival team.

Q: What would be a reasonable trade return the Jets could get for Sheldon Richardson?

A: At this stage, I'd be surprised if the Jets got more than a second-round draft pick for Richardson. Richardson has a larger salary ($8 million), and will likely want an extension if he plays well next season. I think there are so many questions about his effort on the field, dedication to the game, and his off-the-field issues that I'm not sure he has the kind of value the Jets are hoping.

A new Chief at QB?

A new Chief at QB?

Could Alex Smith be a QB option for the Jets to consider?

Q: Is it worth trying to trade Calvin Pryor at this point?

A: It would depend on what the Jets were to get in return. Pryor seems to be cut more from the same mold as Mark Barron of the Rams, who is better suited to a 4-3 hybrid linebacker/safety role, and I don't know if that is going to exist in the current defense the Jets play. He is still very young and cheap, so I wouldn't trade him if it's for pennies on the dollar -- which was what the Rams gave up for Barron (a fourth- and sixth-round pick). It's probably up to the Jets' coaches to find a role for him that accentuates the positives.

Q: Presuming the Jets can't get anything in a trade for Brandon Marshall, should they cut him?

A: Seeing how the season ended, they may have to. It seems as if more than just Richardson took issue with Marshall last year. And if that is the case, I don't think you want to bring back someone that may be the catalyst for a toxic locker room, even if he may be the best receiver on the team. If that isn't the case and the team doesn't think he was an issue, the Jets probably need to see about reducing his salary. This will mark two of three years where Marshall failed to reach 800 yards. He's had problems with drops, and I am sure there are some who think he has one eye on football and one eye on a TV career. That's not worth paying $7.5 million to a 33-year-old receiver. There are a number of receivers who closed out their careers earning $5 million or less, including Steve Smith, who was 35 when he signed for $3.5 million a year. If Marshall wants to stay, I think it will need to be at a lower number. And if not, then he'll likely go.

Q: Besides maybe Revis, which Jets veterans (if any) would be logical to retain on a pay cut, considering this team will be in rebuilding mode?

A: Besides Revis and Marshall, I think it's logical to give Nick Mangold a chance to remain with the team, on something like a three-year extension that brings his salary way down from the $9.1 million figure for next year. He's played his entire career in New York. I'd consider him the best player to wear a Jets uniform for the last decade who never left the team. Hopefully this will be something they are proactive with, rather than approaching this as they did D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- with a late attempt at a pay cut, which led him to retire. Buster Skrine should also have his salary reduced if he is to stay with the team. He wasn't good last year, and it's hard to picture someone who would be a third corner on most teams making over $6 million. Given the lack of talent the Jets have, they may need him. But they shouldn't overpay him just because of their needs.

Q: We know Ryan Clady is a goner, but where do you stand on these Jets veterans (cut or keep): Breno Giacomini, Nick Mangold, Marcus Gilchrist, David Harris, and Nick Folk?

A: Giacomini: Should have been cut before last season. Mangold: Try to retain on a low-cost contract. Gilchrist: Cut, especially if Revis is moving to safety. Harris: You can get cheaper production out of younger players, so I'd lean toward releasing him. If not, it needs to be a reduced role and salary reflective of that role. Folk: I'm not sure it's worth spending much on a kicker, especially a veteran you could replace at close to minimum levels. But if the Jets cut salaries elsewhere, the team could do worse than Folk. At the least, they can keep him through training camp and release him if he is beaten in a competition.

Q: What do you think of the way Mike Maccagnan structured the Muhammad Wilkerson contract, with an escape hatch after 2017? Wise? Or did Maccagnan still overpay for Wilkerson?

A: The whole Wilkerson situation was a mess that predated Maccagnan and then just got worse. The Jets did get some concessions in the contract. In general, they went higher than they needed to. But getting that third year late vesting guarantee was a smart move by the front office. Most contracts of that magnitude would have given the player an early salary guarantee, with at least a portion of the 2018 salary becoming guaranteed this year. I think if the Jets had a re-do, they would have either accepted the best trade offer or let him play the year on the tag.

8 Jets who should be gone in 2017

8 Jets who should be gone in 2017

Time to make some cuts.

Q: Eric Decker and Buster Skrine are a couple on-the-fence guys, because of their contract structures. What do you think the Jets should do with them? Seems likely both are back, but what do you think?

A: I'd release Decker. He had two major injuries, and it's hard to see him contributing at a high level this year. Decker also found his best success with the team in the Chan Gailey offense last year -- and I don't know if he will or won't be in that same role when/if he returns. The Jets have some young receivers, and if there is a position where they can probably make a youth movement, it is wide receiver. I just think this is throwing away money for a limited return. Skrine I would keep if he cuts his salary, only because depth at the position is so limited.

Q: Wesley Johnson and Marcus Williams are probably the Jets' most prominent pending restricted free agents. Which level tender (if any) do you think the Jets will give them?

A: I'd expect both to get the standard (low) tender, which is going to be around $1.8 million. Both play enough to warrant the tender, and teams can always negotiate lower prices over the spring and summer if they need to. I don't think either would draw the interest (from other teams) necessary to use the more expensive tags, which will be closer to $2.8 million next year.

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/01/how_should_jets_handle_2017_offseason_salary_cap_w.html#incart_river_index