The Jets Should Start Planning To Tank In 2018

RutgersJetFan

They're way ahead of you pal macca is playing three dimensional chess and the rest of the universe is checkers you don't just burn a 2 on Hackenberg without having the supreme confidence that comes with a 3D psychic intellect pal come on it's like inception meets minority report and macc is jamming the sick stick up the nfl's ass

55 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Dude is a college QB just like Watson.  Neither will work out in the pros.

Rep'd for being the only one to actually state the obvious about him. 

Disagree with the "like Watson part" though.  I've seen Watson stand tall in a pocket, go through progressions and dissect a pro stlye defense and succeed.  More than once.  I think the line and early WR struggles of Clemson have forced him to rely on his athleticism a little more this year and have directly attributed to his increase in turnovers this year.  I think he can still be a really good QB.  See some Air McNair and young Donovan McNabb in his game.  Doubt he drops below Cleveland though.

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They're way ahead of you pal macca is playing three dimensional chess and the rest of the universe is checkers you don't just burn a 2 on Hackenberg without having the supreme confidence that comes with a 3D psychic intellect pal come on it's like inception meets minority report and macc is jamming the sick stick up the nfl's ass

The sad part about this post is that I immediately thought of Star Trek.

370px-StarTrekChess.jpg

24 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Rep'd for being the only one to actually state the obvious about him. 

Disagree with the "like Watson part" though.  I've seen Watson stand tall in a pocket, go through progressions and dissect a pro stlye defense and succeed.  More than once.  I think the line and early WR struggles of Clemson have forced him to rely on his athleticism a little more this year and have directly attributed to his increase in turnovers this year.  I think he can still be a really good QB.  See some Air McNair and young Donovan McNabb in his game.  Doubt he drops below Cleveland though.

I'm guessing you don't think Kizer will declare? Doubt Watson gets picked before Kizer

You NEVER tank at any time, or  for any reason. You owe it to your fans and your organization, to put every effort you can into winning. 

If you are a young player especially, what happens if they see it?  What they see is a team that gives up when things are going bad. 

How do you ever build a winning atmosphere with that kind of thinking?

IF, you have a competent front office, you can still find quality throughout the draft. 

I know I said if, but you just have to trust that one day they'll eventually get it right.

2 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

You NEVER tank at any time, or  for any reason. You owe it to your fans and your organization, to put every effort you can into winning. 

If you are a young player especially, what happens if they see it?  What they see is a team that gives up when things are going bad. 

IF, you have a competent front office, you can still find quality throughout the draft. 

I know I said if, but you just have to trust that one day they'll eventually get it right.

There's a difference between "tanking" aka NOT trying and playing a younger ("worse") player ahead of "better" older players. Obviously today, all things being equal, Geno Smith probably gives us a better chance of winning than Bryce Petty. But Geno won't be back in 2017, so why not play the young kid, get him some reps, and hope for the best? That, in essence, is "tanking" without "tanking". 

Your kid(s) will still see everyone trying their damnedest, so there's not bad examples being taught. At this point, all the kids should be on the field so Todd Bowles won't have any excuse to resort to shi*tty veterans, which he's been known to prefer.

5 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

There's a difference between "tanking" aka NOT trying and playing a younger ("worse") player ahead of "better" older players. Obviously today, all things being equal, Geno Smith probably gives us a better chance of winning than Bryce Petty. But Geno won't be back in 2017, so why not play the young kid, get him some reps, and hope for the best? That, in essence, is "tanking" without "tanking". 

Your kid(s) will still see everyone trying their damnedest, so there's not bad examples being taught. At this point, all the kids should be on the field so Todd Bowles won't have any excuse to resort to shi*tty veterans, which he's been known to prefer.

Absolutely agree with this. I'd love to see Petty in right now, assuming he were healthy enough. I simply take issue with people who just think we should basically just go through the motions. That 100% effort isn't necessary.  I know that they are all playing for their jobs, but you have seen enough games through the years to see lack of intensity by one team or the other.

Play young players, yes. Just play to win the game. God, it must be late.  I'm channeling my inner Herm Edwards.

11 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

Absolutely agree with this. I'd love to see Petty in right now, assuming he were healthy enough. I simply take issue with people who just think we should basically just go through the motions. That 100% effort isn't necessary.  I know that they are all playing for their jobs, but you have seen enough games through the years to see lack of intensity by one team or the other.

Play young players, yes. Just play to win the game. God, it must be late.  I'm channeling my inner Herm Edwards.

We're on the same page. A silver lining in this awful season is that Bowles and Maccagnan are going to be able to examine who the true "character" guys are on this team. Are some guys going to go half-assed (I'm looking at you, Mo Wilk) and turn into Santonio Holmes when things aren't going well, or are they going to be show themselves to be what Wayne Chrebet was on a 1-15 team?

I hope over the next 10 games that we discover a Wayne Chrebet or two in this otherwise lost season.

14 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

We're on the same page. A silver lining in this awful season is that Bowles and Maccagnan are going to be able to examine who the true "character" guys are on this team. Are some guys going to go half-assed (I'm looking at you, Mo Wilk) and turn into Santonio Holmes when things aren't going well, or are they going to be show themselves to be what Wayne Chrebet was on a 1-15 team?

I hope over the next 10 games that we discover a Wayne Chrebet or two in this otherwise lost season.

For now, I'm willing to give Wilkerson the benefit of the doubt regarding his injury. Under Rex, and last year under Bowles, Wilkerson was used in much more of a rotational way.  Yes, he played a lot.  But he also got a number of series off during a game.

This year, with Bowles using more of a 4-3, Wilkerson practically never comes off.  Always near the top in snaps per game.

This, coming off of surgery in the off season.

The strength in his leg may not be all there. He was delayed starting training camp. And playing every down has to be stressing it.  Bowles has to do a better job.  He's overworking the d-line. Go back to what worked last year. 3-4 and rotate.

As for finding another Wayne Chrebet, if he can play quarterback, we're good.

19 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Did this thread turn into an actual discussion?

If it makes you uncomfortable, I can bring up Geno's name.

And whether we should or shouldn't boo him.

That should quickly set this into a quick downward spiral. Your call

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

wut

Watson was supposedly the next Luckian college QB going into the season.

There will always be another "can't miss" college QB. The problem is that the vast majority of them end up like Leinart, Watson, or Brady Quinn and outing themselves as far from a generational talent before leaving college.

We'll be tanking for several years, regardless. This team is old and sh*tty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanking? The Jets is part of America, we do not believe in a losing mentality like the democratic party who love loser taking money from the one that go and get it, to give it to the one who doesn't want to go and get it.  We strive for excellence trying to the very end.  This is no third world country yet.  We will continue to fight every Sunday.  Go Jets!

8 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

If it makes you uncomfortable, I can bring up Geno's name.

And whether we should or shouldn't boo him.

That should quickly set this into a quick downward spiral. Your call

do you think if we had jackson bowles would even play him i mean really

14 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

Does the NBA lottery mean anything to you?

14 hours ago, King P said:

I'm guessing you don't think Kizer will declare? Doubt Watson gets picked before Kizer

I don't think so. I say that as a huge fan.  Kizer, to me, is Russell Wilson with size.  Their mechanics are almost identical and they both have brains.  I saw Russell Wilson as Drew Brees with a stronger arm and better athleticism.  I LOVED Russ and I LOVE Kizer, recent small struggles be damned.  All that said, barring something unforeseen, I truly think he goes back for one more year.  Even if I'm wrong too, you're right.  I don't see any chance of him going after Watson.  Especially when everybody gets into that whole nitpicking mode come the spring.  I like em both, but if we're left between a choice of Watson or Garrett?

I'd rather go Garrett, sign Mike Glennon, let Hack continue growing and see if he's ready, take someone in the 3rd.  I think Chad Kelly might be there in the 2nd or 3rd and could be a steal if he keeps his play up.

Archived