NY Jets: Time for a Reset

Powpow

usa-today-9503115.0.jpg

Interesting article to say the least given our current state of affairs.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So a draft plan that would help is to get lots of extra picks.

All,they need to do is have Macc snap his fingers and poof, extra picks? 

At the rate we're going a top 5 pick isn't out of the question. We could trade down in that scenario. There's also the possibility of trading some players for picks and not resigning others and getting comp picks.  Of course, Mac would have to start hitting on these draft picks.  Would he forego this strategy if a QB to his liking is there? I don't think he takes a QB early and will stick with Petty and Hack.  And yes you're a fan longer. I don't remember them playing as the Titans before Shea. 

8 hours ago, varjet said:

I posted this article from GangGreen Nation.  Its author was John B, which attracted some derision.  It appears that John B's real name is William Mauser.

I figured someone might have but couldn't find it.  Lot of food for thought. 

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

At the rate we're going a top 5 pick isn't out of the question. We could trade down in that scenario. There's also the possibility of trading some players for picks and not resigning others and getting comp picks.  Of course, Mac would have to start hitting on these draft picks.  Would he forego this strategy if a QB to his liking is there? I don't think he takes a QB early and will stick with Petty and Hack.  And yes you're a fan longer. I don't remember them playing as the Titans before Shea. 

We're not getting a top 5 pick.  We're going into the easy stretch of the schedule.  Can't believe with this roster we can't get enough QB play andmthe defense wont step up enough to win some games that we should win 

Point isn't that it's hard to understand how you could grab extra picks, you have to a trading partner.  If no one is in the market for a DL how are you trading one for picks?  

BTW, makes no difference to me how long someone was a fan.  

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

We're not getting a top 5 pick.  We're going into the easy stretch of the schedule.  Can't believe with this roster we can't get enough QB play andmthe defense wont step up enough to win some games that we should win 

Point isn't that it's hard to understand how you could grab extra picks, you have to a trading partner.  If no one is in the market for a DL how are you trading one for picks?  

BTW, makes no difference to me how long someone was a fan.  

Right now we're tied for pick 2 and having been laying eggs so top 5 isn't out the question. Sheldon would garner something and he's going to want to get paid big bucks. Would be our best option to unload him and cut the fat. I think it's pretty cool you went to see Jets in their inception.

14 hours ago, Powpow said:

Getting rid of the general manager would mean a second straight time you have fired one after two years. Getting rid of the head coach would be the second time in three head coaches a change was made in three years or less.

I don't think Mac is the problem. Bowles is a problem but he might learn from his mistakes. I think he needs to reshape his staff though. Gailey can't improvise as well anymore and the team made a big mistake getting rid of their best blocking TE - Sudfeld, and FB Tommy Bohannon. Matt Forte is not a bulldozer like Ivory was and he needs a lead blocker. Kacy Rodgers is in over his head at DC and Bowles needs to either take over the defensive play calling or let Rodgers do his job. Splitting the calls like Bowles admits they do is probably why the Jets have so many mental mistakes. I do think Woody Johnson needs to step back and let his guys (especially Mac) do their job and not try to be "competitive" while rebuilding. Just rebuild it right.

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So a draft plan that would help is to get lots of extra picks.

All,they need to do is have Macc snap his fingers and poof, extra picks? 

Lol. He did a poof to make so many disappear already. Ridiculous that he's to be graded on this with a clean slate after he pissed away so many picks himself. 

His time did not just begin today. His clean slate was 2015, not 2017.

We'd have had another 4-5 picks in this upcoming draft alone if he'd exercised the patience it takes to build a sustained roster built through the draft instead of 30-something veteran bandaids. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol. He did a poof to make so many disappear already. Ridiculous that he's to be graded on this with a clean slate after he pissed away so many picks himself. 

His time did not just begin today. His clean slate was 2015, not 2017.

We'd have had another 4-5 picks in this upcoming draft alone if he'd exercised the patience it takes to build a sustained roster built through the draft instead of 30-something veteran bandaids. 

If he had exercised said patience, he knew he would be out the door like Idzik. I don't know how many times I've said this, but it's true

16 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I don't think Mac is the problem. Bowles is a problem but he might learn from his mistakes. I think he needs to reshape his staff though. Gailey can't improvise as well anymore and the team made a big mistake getting rid of their best blocking TE - Sudfeld, and FB Tommy Bohannon. Matt Forte is not a bulldozer like Ivory was and he needs a lead blocker. Kacy Rodgers is in over his head at DC and Bowles needs to either take over the defensive play calling or let Rodgers do his job. Splitting the calls like Bowles admits they do is probably why the Jets have so many mental mistakes. I do think Woody Johnson needs to step back and let his guys (especially Mac) do their job and not try to be "competitive" while rebuilding. Just rebuild it right.

I have no love for Woody Johnson, but there is no evidence he is overruling Maccagnan and telling him how to do his job. None. 

Seems to me many want to credit Maccagnan for anything done well, but absolve him, and baselessly shift blame to someone else, for anything done poorly. 

Convenient position to take. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I have no love for Woody Johnson, but there is no evidence he is overruling Maccagnan and telling him how to do his job. None. 

Seems to me many want to credit Maccagnan for anything done well, but absolve him, and baselessly shift blame to someone else, for anything done poorly. 

Convenient position to take. 

I didn't say that. I understand why he signed those veterans. If you want a full rebuild, then it is the wrong move. But, full rebuilds are essentially verboten in New York. The only move that I really question Macc on is drafting Hackenberg that high. All the other supposed mistakes he's made are hindsight mistakes. 

The Mets did it because they had no money to spend 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

When was the last time a New York team besides the Mets recently went into a full rebuild?

Lol

A farm system, no franchise tags, and disproportionate annual spending ability compared to dozens of their peers say Mets/Yankees baseball is apples and oranges to the Jets football. 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Lol

A farm system, no franchise tags, and disproportionate annual spending ability compared to dozens of their peers say Mets/Yankees baseball is apples and oranges to the Jets football. 

Ok, go look at the Knicks, they do have a salary cap. And I ask the same question

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And why do you think they do that? Why do you think Dolan or Johnson wouldnt resort to full rebuilds?

Because you guys are awful?

There really isn't any such thing as a full reset. The next time something comes up, you do the right thing instead of the Jetsy thing. Then you do it again. That's it. Whenever the Jets start a new 'rebuild' all it ever amounts to is some big dramatic jerky thing followed by more of the same old screwing up the mundane stuff. Trade Abraham and derp. Draft Sanchez, derp some more. Trade Revis and derp. Sign Revis and derp. It never ends.

3 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Because you guys are awful?

There really isn't any such thing as a full reset. The next time something comes up, you do the right thing instead of the Jetsy thing. Then you do it again. That's it. Whenever the Jets start a new 'rebuild' all it ever amounts to is some big dramatic jerky thing followed by more of the same old screwing up the mundane stuff. Trade Abraham and derp. Draft Sanchez, derp some more. Trade Revis and derp. Sign Revis and derp. It never ends.

Because they never give it enough time to grow. Rebuilds are a 3-5 year process. Jets only give 2 years

Look at Dallas. Bottomed out in 1989 intentionally, Got to the Super Bowl in 1992. Took 4 years to do it

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Two things about this article. 

1. Doesnt take into account UDFAs, which so far Macc has been okay at. 

2. Tanny used to have 3 and 4 draft classes. I would rather have 6 over 3 and 4.

So between the other reset thread and this one, the case for Maccagnan is: 1) the sh*tty contracts he's done won't last forever, so 2) when they expire we can use the money to do more, 3) Robby Anderson, and 4) successfully exercised almost 7 picks per draft. He's certainly a genius at something.

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

So between the other reset thread and this one, the case for Maccagnan is: 1) the sh*tty contracts he's done won't last forever, so 2) when they expire we can use the money to do more, 3) Robby Anderson, and 4) successfully exercised almost 7 picks per draft. He's certainly a genius at something.

Almost.

1. The hindsight sh*tty contracts he's done were intentionally made short term so as not to disrupt the future

2. Yes

3. Jalin Marshall has promise as well. Need to do what was done to Tiki Barber and stop fumbling. 

4. His 2 seventh round draft picks have already made contributions on the field this year. You know how rare that is?

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Almost.

1. The hindsight sh*tty contracts he's done were intentionally made short term so as not to disrupt the future

2. Yes

3. Jalin Marshall has promise as well. Need to do what was done to Tiki Barber and stop fumbling. 

4. His 2 seventh round draft picks have already made contributions on the field this year. You know how rare that is?

Can't make this stuff up.

6 hours ago, Powpow said:

Right now we're tied for pick 2 and having been laying eggs so top 5 isn't out the question. Sheldon would garner something and he's going to want to get paid big bucks. Would be our best option to unload him and cut the fat. I think it's pretty cool you went to see Jets in their inception.

Again, if anyone is in the market for a player like Sheldon and is willing to take on the contract.

i was a kid for those early games.  Yale Bowl etc. 

Archived