Leonard Fournette + Petty: The combo of the future?

jetscrazey

39 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

We need to draft our future. No more stopgap FA's. We need a top 10 level franchise QB that starts for us for the next 12-15 years. Until we find a QB at that level everything is a waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem is I don't see that type of QB in the 2017 draft. 

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

We need to draft our future. No more stopgap FA's. We need a top 10 level franchise QB that starts for us for the next 12-15 years. Until we find a QB at that level everything is a waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.  But it's not like there is an abundance of them around the league.  You either give up several years worth of picks and gamble on the wave of QBs who I mentioned.  So about a 5 year investment so if it doesn't work out, we have a new GM/HC etc.. 

Or we be patient and develop Petty and Hack.  Either way, it's a long shot.

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Tired of everyone saying drafting a running back round one is a mistake. Yes, you can find good ones in the later rounds....so how many have we found? Alright then. The last great running backs to come out are both early 1st rounders by teams who weren't scared to draft at that position early and they are now seeing the benefits of that.

RB is relatively easy to find in the draft.  I wouldn't draft one early.

4 hours ago, King P said:

Would love Fournette. Cook as well. Both guys are gonna be dynamic playmakers in the pros.

This draft is actually deep with RBs, so I can understand people saying pass on RB in the 1st.

It's all about BPA though

What if the BPA is a defensive lineman?

If they can get a quarterback, they should take a quarterback. That much is obvious. I don't think anything in the next nine games can be answered with such a definitive "yes, that's the Jets' quarterback of the future" that you'd pass on a QB if you're in the position to take one. Worst case you have two good ones.

I'm not sure they'll have an opportunity to draft a quarterback. If that's not an option, you either want someone who can get after the quarterback or protect the quarterback IMO. This draft doesn't look that strong at tackle but there are a ton of edge rushers. Long time for that to change, but if it stays true I think an edge rusher would be solid. Somewhat exhausting to draft defense again, but this defense could absolutely use a dominant edge guy. Nothing wrong with taking a tackle either if the value is good. I think those are the three premium spots you focus on.

The appealing thing about Fournette is I really liked what the Jets were building offensively last year. Spread the defense with a bunch of legitimate threats at WR, get extra DB's in the game, and then play a strong, fast back who can break tackles, get away from guys in space, and pay off in the red zone. Seemed like a really good way to play offense in the modern NFL, and that's basically out the window this season. Ivory is missed and the Robinson injury was unfortunate.

Also, last time a freakishly talented RB slipped a bit due to concerns over him getting nicked up in college (Adrian Peterson) he worked out OK. That happens to be the comp that's been made for Fournette and it looks like a legitimate one.

On the flip side, Peterson is great but the Vikings really haven't had legitimate team success with him.

But on the other hand, I don't think that's necessarily Peterson's fault.

Archived