Interesting Tidbits from Rapoport

CrazyCarl40

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000725450/article/jets-expected-to-give-geno-smith-fair-chance-to-display-talents

Entire article above, but here are some highlights:

Jets coach Todd Bowles will give Smith a fair chance to keep the job and show what he can do, sources informed of the situation said.

When Fitz signed, there was plenty of angst. Smith wanted to be traded and told many close to him he wanted out of New York. There was an explorative effort to gauge his market, while teams who at that point needed quarterbacks -- like the Vikings -- preferred Bryce Petty.

Meanwhile, Petty is practicing and gaining back his strength after a shoulder injury. If Smith isn't up to par, expect him to see time, as well.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000725450/article/jets-expected-to-give-geno-smith-fair-chance-to-display-talents

Jets coach Todd Bowles will give Smith a fair chance to keep the job and show what he can do, sources informed of the situation said.

When Fitz signed, there was plenty of angst. Smith wanted to be traded and told many close to him he wanted out of New York. There was an explorative effort to gauge his market, while teams who at that point needed quarterbacks -- like the Vikings -- preferred Bryce Petty.

Meanwhile, Petty is practicing and gaining back his strength after a shoulder injury. If Smith isn't up to par, expect him to see time, as well.

Promising for Petty, if other teams prefer him

4 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

That is encouraging about Bryce, but you have to wonder if Geno needs about 6 more years of maturity before a modicum of that talent can be used to its advantage..

If you saw his press conference Monday, it was very encouraging from a maturity stand point.

14 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

There aren't twenty men on the earth that can play QB in the NFL with any semblance of credibility. Literally zero other teams in the NFL wanted Ryan Fitzpatrick or Geno Smith. They're the Jets #1 and #2 quarterbacks. Jet Up.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I see Geno getting 2 or 3 games. After he fails he can be cut. Give him a head start on finding a job next season. 

No offense, but that is an emotional way of running a team not a rational one.

If they cut him after week 8 it's official that Maccagnan has either no interest in building for the future, or he lacks the foresight to do so.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I see Geno getting 2 or 3 games. After he fails he can be cut. Give him a head start on finding a job next season. 

that could start the bowles vs macc thing.  bowles may be trying to save his job, macc may be trying to see what petty can do

lets be honest, this is the jets

last year they had a jag in his contract year throw 2 TD's a game and lead the team to 10 wins, and he held them over a barrel. 

this year geno will lead them to 6-10 and stay because jets

smith is dirt cheap with no real savings for cutting him

no way this team goes 3-13, gets a high pick and gets to see petty play 4 games and give us hope

no way

17 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

That is encouraging about Bryce, but you have to wonder if Geno needs about 6 more years of maturity before a modicum of that talent can be used to its advantage..

Geno will fumble today.  Geno will throw a pick.  Question is, do the Jets get 3 TDs?

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No offense, but that is an emotional way of running a team not a rational one.

If they cut him after week 8 it's official that Maccagnan has either no interest in building for the future, or he lacks the foresight to do so.

Geno has no future here. I'm not sure what the point is of holding onto him once Petty supplants him. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

There aren't twenty men on the earth that can play QB in the NFL with any semblance of credibility. Literally zero other teams in the NFL wanted Ryan Fitzpatrick or Geno Smith. They're the Jets #1 and #2 quarterbacks. Jet Up.

The only thing is I'm not sure about is Fitzpatrick garnering zero interest. My guess is someone else would have signed him, but not for anywhere near what the Jets foolishly paid. By first making that silly offer (3y/$24M with incentives that could make it $36M), then keeping it out there for over 1/3 of a calendar year, no one was going to bother making Fitzpatrick an offer for what he was actually worth (neighborhood of half what the Jets paid). Doesn't mean he would have taken such lower offers, but I'm sure someone would have offered him something.

Geno probably didn't garner any interest, but all this says is the Vikings preferred Petty. "Preferred" Petty isn't the same as "were only interested in" Petty. Could be they offered no more than a conditional 7th rounder and Maccagnan wanted more than that (he has something of a history already of poorly gauging his veteran players' trade values).

Really poor foresight to name Geno the #2 QB in the first place once Fitzpatrick was brought back. Yeah that's on Bowles, but Maccagnan could have taken that decision out of TB's hands by trading/cutting Geno. Certainly once Petty demonstrated he didn't immediately make doody in his pants at the sight of a live pass rush sans red jersey. They made the mess they're in, and indirectly that includes Petty's injury. 

17 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Geno has no future here. I'm not sure what the point is of holding onto him once Petty supplants him. 

Because after the season, when he signs with another team, we earn a compensatory draft pick in 2018.

That is why cutting him is an emotional fan's decision rather than a rational one. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Because after the season, when he signs with another team, we earn a compensatory draft pick in 2018.

That is why cutting him is an emotional fan's decision rather than a rational one. 

Why didn't you say that the first time? What kind of contract would he have to sign to get a compensatory pick? 

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Spot on. Add Case Keenum to the list of sucky QB's, What a $hit show he has put on in London today. The Rams are as pathetic an organization as we are.

An entire 1st half of wondering why when the simple fact was the kid was hurt and couldn't even practice.  Now let's say you didn't realize that fact because you're not privy to pertinent information . Do you think Todd Bowles had that Information and it caused him to make the decisions he made ?

People, sometimes a banana is just a banana . 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

All this says is to me is that the FO and the Jets Coaching staff aren't complete MORONS!!!!!  :) 

And also puts to bed the lie that the Jets aren't high on Petty!!!!

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

All this says is to me is that the FO and the Jets Coaching staff aren't complete MORONS!!!!!  :) 

It says the opposite. They kept a totally miserable Geno Smith as the #2 instead of getting at least something for him while they could, and the indirect result of that was Petty getting injured.

They are complete morons.

5 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

And also puts to bed the lie that the Jets aren't high on Petty!!!!

Didn't Petty get Injured in a game he started ?  Let's say Geno wasn't on the team, then would Petty not have started that game  ? There was zero Chance Bryce Petty was going to sit out an entire preseason Game when he clearly needed the reps .

21 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Jerk. How does it work with Fitz and his contract voiding? That would mean no compensatory pick then? Or no?

Re Fitz, I think it works the same as if he was a UFA, if 2017 is a team option year. Somehow, team options are treated as though they have no contract the following season, but the team is allowed to amortize their signing bonuses out over these years. It's a contradiction and makes no logical sense, since in practical terms any subsequent year is always a team option to keep or not, but that's the way it is. 

Think of Revis after his 1 season in New England. In every way his contract was a 2 year deal. They got to amortize his bonus money over 2 years so he could fit for the first one. He can't talk to other teams when FA started in early March. NE "cut" him by failing to exercise his 2nd yr option, which makes him a UFA, and they were therefore awarded a 3rd round comp pick. It makes no sense because, in practical terms, all contracts are "team option" years once the guaranteed money has been paid. The whole premise of the compensatory pick idea is to compensate a team for losing a player to free agency, except in these cases the team controls the players - including contract terms already outlined in writing for the following season - rights unless they decide to let him go. 

I believe we did this with Fitz and also with Jenkins this past offseason. Trying to think if we did with anyone else, but no one comes to mind. *edit* - Maybe add Clady to this short list; I think next year is also an option year not a straight 2 yr contract.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Despite what you think, Geno has value.  Young, NFL experience, cheap.  He's going to get a chance to show what he's learned.  If we get out of playoff contention and Smith looks bad, Petty will get his chance and Geno is a goner at the end of the season. 

Promising for Petty, if other teams prefer him

They probably prefered Bradford over petty I think if they offered what they gave up for petty we would have taken it. I hope petty develops into our qb and if he doesn't then I hope it is hack. Like most of the forum im tired of waiting.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Again with this comp. pick stuff. He would have to be signed for a significant contract and it would have to be more than any other contracts the Jets sign. At best we get a 7th. So, a GM who choses to move on to a QB causing conflict instead of the possibility of a 7th makes him a terrible GM. Yeah, that's it.

7 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Again with this comp. pick stuff. He would have to be signed for a significant contract and it would have to be more than any other contracts the Jets sign. At best we get a 7th. So, a GM who choses to move on to a QB causing conflict instead of the possibility of a 7th makes him a terrible GM. Yeah, that's it.

Don't think so linearly. In a given season even a 7th round pick could also be the extra FA loss that means a higher one doesn't get cancelled out. Indirectly, that could net us a much higher pick than a 7th.

I don't see how he is suddenly causing a conflict in week 9 but not so in late August.

"This comp pick stuff" lol. Tom Brady was taken with a compensatory draft pick. If they treated these picks the way Maccagnan does, more likely than not Brady gets drafted by someone else. 

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

once Geno Smith hits the street he will probably stay on the street and that includes the entire package not just his QB play on the field so I'm sure that has something to do with some wanting him cut. The seventh round pick is just as good or worth as much as the UDFA

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Don't think so linearly. In a given season even a 7th round pick could also be the extra FA loss that means a higher one doesn't get cancelled out. Indirectly, that could net us a much higher pick than a 7th.

I don't see how he is suddenly causing a conflict in week 9 but not so in late August.

"This comp pick stuff" lol. Tom Brady was taken with a compensatory draft pick. If they treated these picks the way Maccagnan does, more likely than not Brady gets drafted by someone else. 

This year we got Charone Peake and Lac Edwards in the 7th (plus Anderson and J Marshall as UDFAs). All four have contributed and showed promise for the future.

Good teams are the ones that can get contributions from the tail end of the draft, and the more tickets you have, the better your chance of winning in that lottery.

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

once Geno Smith hits the street he will probably stay on the street and that includes the entire package not just his QB play on the field so I'm sure that has something to do with some wanting him cut. The seventh round pick is just as good or worth as much as the UDFA

Read the post directly above yours.

Archived