BAL Observations

KRL

Wow a win, it's been so long I forgot what it felt like.  I'm not going crazy over it
because BAL isn't as good as the teams we played (KC, SEA, PIT, ARZ) and they were banged
up.  But I'm not throwing it back, let's take a look at all phases:

Special Teams

- Inexcusable drop by Lachlan Edwards on that snap giving BAL their only TD of the game.
With the way we were playing that could've been the game right there

- Bad blocking by the middle of our FG line on the block.  BAL NT (Williams?) blew through
and got a clean block

- Jalin Marshall didn't have any opportunities to return kick offs but he had a few "feisty"
punt returns to give us decent field position

Offense

- Good to see Gailey emphasize the running game and reduce the opportunities for turnovers.
Nice wrinkles using Brandon Bostick in the backfield as a lead blocker and the reverse to
Robby Anderson.  But he's got to stop calling pass plays on 3rd & 1's, with the way we were 
running there was no need to be cute

- Unfortunate injury to Geno Smith because he was being efficient in his time.  He was accurate
throwing outside the numbers and that was with two drops.  He still held the ball too long causing
two sacks and the injury to his knee

- Ryan Fitzpatrick came in as the backup and was alright.  But I'm sorry he reminds me of "gum on
your shoe" and how it's so hard to get rid of it.  He managed the game and didn't turn it over
(shocking) but if Smith is healthy Fitzpatrick goes back to the bench.  We've seen his game and I'm
tired of it.  On top of that he needs to kill the "snarky" comments after the game, boo hoo no one
believes in me and I think I should be starting.  Dude, have you watched how badly you've played this
year???  The only people who should believe in you right now is your family!!!  I wonder the reaction
if Smith made those type of comments after the game

- With Nick Mangold out the pass protection was "leaky" but the run blocking was physical against a
tough BAL front

- Excellent all around game from Matt Forte.  Shocking how he doesn't look "washed up" when we keep
him involved in the game plan.  He got bailed out big time by Brandon Marshall with tht red zone
fumble

- In a game in which we only completed 13 passes big games from Quincy Enunwa & Robby Anderson

- This play needs to be mentioned again, HUGE double fumble recovery by Marshall in the red zone that saved us 7 points 

Defense

- Where did this defensive effort come from, nine points for the entire game and a second half
shut out.  And nice to see we stopped the bleeding in the issues that have been plaguing us
deep balls, WR screens, pressure, 3rd down efficiency and turnovers

- Shocking when Sheldon Richardson is used on the DLine how he can wreck a game!!!  Multiple
TFL's, a sack and tackles all over the field.  Can we stop the OLB nonsense now???

- Finally a good effort by the secondary!!!  Multiple INT's, good coverage and secure tackling
from Darelle Revis, Buster Skrine, Marcus Gilchrist and Calvin Pryor.  Can they keep this up is
the big question

- Excellent game from Steve McLendon, he blew up BAL center multiple times which cause Flacco
to trip over his feet.  Also Lorenzo Mauldin finally made an appearance, he didn't have a sack
but he should've drawn multiple holding penalties against BAL OLine      

Defense, for a change, played like it was advertised (for at least the 2nd half).

Forte wasn't as horrible as he'd been.  Powell helped too.

No INT's from either QB.

Lachlan, I forgive, sh*t happens and he's been a solid punter thus far.

Block was on the line, not on Folk.  Thats two this year, fix the line.

Never, ever, EVER take a kickoff out of the endzone ffs.

A win is a win.  Lets hope Geno gets healthy, and the best QB plays, the Defense continues to improve, and we win some more games.

Matt Forte averaged 3.3 yards per carry, which is just about his average for the year.  That was the ugliest 100 yard game I've ever seen. He was solid in the pass game.   Really makes me wonder what the run game would look like if roles were reversed with Powell.

D was really good today.  Only let the Ravens convert 3 of 14 on 3rd down.  They ran for 6 yards.  They were pretty dominate. 

Just now, ASH1962 said:

Feels good to win, but this all is for naught if we become the victim of a winless team next week and lay an ostrich egg in Cleveland..

I just don't trust this team to take care of business. Hope they prove me wrong.

Lose and the transition to rebuilding becomes closer.

Win and hope the run continues

Nice write up as always!!!!

Defense played well; 9 points allowed for the game against any NFL team today is excellent defense.  Also Bowles made adjustments on defense which was important.

Geno also was good had a 134QB rating which is important because he had games where his QB rating was like ZERO...

Fitz was ok as well and made a couple of nice throws in key situations.

Good not great win; but sure as heck beats losing.

5 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

What in the opinion of the masses was the play of the Game ?

I beat the masses into the coaches Club at halftime and there was no line for the ice cream freezer.

Total play of the game right there.

30 minutes ago, KRL said:

Wow a win, it's been so long I forgot what it felt like.  I'm not going crazy over it
because BAL isn't as good as the teams we played (KC, SEA, PIT, ARZ) and they were banged
up.  But I'm not throwing it back, let's take a look at all phases:

Special Teams

- Inexcusable drop by Lachlan Edwards on that snap giving BAL their only TD of the game.
With the way we were playing that could've been the game right there

- Bad blocking by the middle of our FG line on the block.  BAL NT (Williams?) blew through
and got a clean block

- Jalin Marshall didn't have any opportunities to return kick offs but he had a few "feisty"
punt returns to give us decent field position

Offense

- Good to see Gailey emphasize the running game and reduce the opportunities for turnovers.
Nice wrinkles using Brandon Bostick in the backfield as a lead blocker and the reverse to
Robby Anderson.  But he's got to stop calling pass plays on 3rd & 1's, with the way we were 
running there was no need to be cute

- Unfortunate injury to Geno Smith because he was being efficient in his time.  He was accurate
throwing outside the numbers and that was with two drops.  He still held the ball too long causing
two sacks and the injury to his knee

- Ryan Fitzpatrick came in as the backup and was alright.  But I'm sorry he reminds me of "gum on
your shoe" and how it's so hard to get rid of it.  He managed the game and didn't turn it over
(shocking) but if Smith is healthy Fitzpatrick goes back to the bench.  We've seen his game and I'm
tired of it.  On top of that he needs to kill the "snarky" comments after the game, boo hoo no one
believes in me and I think I should be starting.  Dude, have you watched how badly you've played this
year???  The only people who should believe in you right now is your family!!!  I wonder the reaction
if Smith made those type of comments after the game

- With Nick Mangold out the pass protection was "leaky" but the run blocking was physical against a
tough BAL front

- Excellent all around game from Matt Forte.  Shocking how he doesn't look "washed up" when we keep
him involved in the game plan.  He got bailed out big time by Brandon Marshall with tht red zone
fumble

- In a game in which we only completed 13 passes big games from Quincy Enunwa & Robby Anderson

- This play needs to be mentioned again, HUGE double fumble recovery by Marshall in the red zone that saved us 7 points 

Defense

- Where did this defensive effort come from, nine points for the entire game and a second half
shut out.  And nice to see we stopped the bleeding in the issues that have been plaguing us
deep balls, WR screens, pressure, 3rd down efficiency and turnovers

- Shocking when Sheldon Richardson is used on the DLine how he can wreck a game!!!  Multiple
TFL's, a sack and tackles all over the field.  Can we stop the OLB nonsense now???

- Finally a good effort by the secondary!!!  Multiple INT's, good coverage and secure tackling
from Darelle Revis, Buster Skrine, Marcus Gilchrist and Calvin Pryor.  Can they keep this up is
the big question

- Excellent game from Steve McLendon, he blew up BAL center multiple times which cause Flacco
to trip over his feet.  Also Lorenzo Mauldin finally made an appearance, he didn't have a sack
but he should've drawn multiple holding penalties against BAL OLine      

Defense was exceptional.  Keep up the good work.  NICE RECAP MR KRL

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Quincy taking an 8 yard checkdown to the house.

Great play. But I agree with Lupz27. Marshall stealing the ball back. 

Only because of at what point each play happened. 

Quincy's play happened 1st quarter, and most of the game still to play. 

Marshall's play came later at a much more critical time. The momentum change there could have been a disaster. 

Both great plays though. 

44 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The best play of the game for the Jets was the Smith to Enunwa TD pass.  Obviously the defense stepping up in the 2nd half with two picks, setting the Jets up with great field position, and multiple stops provided the win.

49 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Skrine interception.  Defense looked completely different and took over the game after the Skrine pick.  That play changed the game, in my opinion.  Kudos to Skrine for bouncing back after a horrific outing last week.

It was nice to see some of the youngsters step up.  Julian Stanford was the second leading tackler and seemed to be all over the field.  Peake stepped up on special teams and had a catch but also had a bad drop.  Anderson looked good, 3 catches as well as a 30 yard run.  Maudlin while not having any sacks did have several hurries.

Im not sure why we don't just rotate our 3 3-4 ends, Wilkerson, Williams, and Richardson when they are all healthy.  This would keep them all fresh for the entire game and keep Richardson playing his regular position.  It seems like sometimes players are taking plays off so they can play the whole game.  We have an embarrassment of riches at that position and should use that to our advantage.

Thanks KRL

want to also emphasize Sheldon's performance in Beast-mode as a huge plus

as well as Williams deserves credit for the final pass breakup on 4th down ... He had 2 or 3 plays earlier too. While I was screaming at him to turn the f*ck around on the 4th down ... Which he didn't do ... But either by luck or by skill he managed to break up the play without teeing off on the Balt WR ... I knew if that was Skrine Balt was going to have a 1st & goal

Thanks KRL. Good to see the running game today. Not pretty but they stuck with it. Protecting both QB's and resting the D. Robby Anderson is growing up fast. The Q is a grown man now. That burst he has is amazing. Also great blocking by BM on that play to clear space and a Baltimore defender.

Mauldin was constantly in the backfield. 

The run D was brutal and the pass D was effective. Revis still nursing the hammy? Still not playing as hard as we would enjoy. 

Lac had a bad day overall. ST made a play or two with Peake having. the most memorable tackle.

Fitz is a back up QB and should remain so. Nice guy and all but he can start elsewhere. The decision to start him this season will affect the Jets for at least another year. Geno played well for his first start. Would like to see more but he got injured. 

Time to get youthful at the QB position.

Archived