Watching Fitz Lead the Jets to a win was Awesome

AFJF

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Fitz perceived success was based on the fact that he went up against a poor 3-4 football team. And as usual some fans are falling for it. 

Atleast Geno can say that wr's dropped a couple of his passes yet still finished with 1 TD, no turnovers and a 133 rating while averaging over 11 yards per pass. 

And Geno's success isn't perceived either? Neither guy was anything more than average. If Enunwa doesn't run 60 yards to the end zone, Geno's numbers are pedestrian. Receivers have been dropping passes all year. The Jets are second in the league in them. No one is falling for Fitz's success yesterday. He did his job. That's all. 

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It's amazing what some actually think the narrative was today.

But given the history not surprising.  

You have about as much sense of humor as a piece of cardboard.  But given YOUR history on here on these boards that is also not surprising.

As a practical matter Fitz did lead the Jets to a come from behind win.  Unless you know, my memory is playing tricks on me an Geno had the Jets in front when he came out.

Geno did also receive the benefit of a 12 yard comeback route where the receiver tacked on an extra 57 yards and six points all on his own.  All things considered that "69-yard TD bomb" from Geno Smith is going to polish up the resume just a bit and look mighty tasty to some when he is pounding the pavement looking for work at the end of the year.

in Canada

8 hours ago, cant wait said:

Fitz definitely had the worst play of the game that's for sure. He's lucky the DL batted the ball down instead of catching it because that should have been a game ending pick 6 

Worst play of the game. Who cares about one play unless it was a turnover or lost the game. Did you watch any of the games yesterday. If you want to illustrate bad Qb play there were a dozen Qbs worse than Fitz yesterday. We won the game, dude. And were losing when Fitz went into the game. The game plan was conservative and he was a game manager and did his job. Flacco the 20 million dollar guy sucked. 

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Fitz still missed some throws. Easy 3rd and short with cb playing 3 yars cushion, simple game of catch and Fitz throws it waaay behind Brandon Marshall. It was a big drive late that could have put the game out of reach.

He's just terrible. 

everyone misses throws ...you can't analyze every damn throw.

people on this site still crying for passes that complete at a rate of 10 % thinking the strong armed long passer is going to win games. The way this offense is currently running not many QB's would succeed IMHO. Gailey calls way to many passes that attack downfield 20 + yards and this is not what we should be doing.

Sure a long pass can spread the defense but Fitz has thrown plenty of those trying to do just that. Its not that teams don't fear Fitz throwing deep they simply don't fear anything this offense offers because with 4 WR sets and single back sets this offense is horribly predictable. Putting your QB at that disadvantage is no help to him at all.

If you look at Aaron Rodgers struggles this year its the same thing going on. But in the last game McCarthy changed things up by running Montgomery and Cobb and using them out of the backfield making them unpredictable and tough to game plan for and Rodgers responded like we all knew he was capable of.

QB's need help even the great ones ...but when you have QB's that are somewhat limited you have to play to their strengths. Good example is what Bill Walsh did with Montana and the west coast offense that was built around a short passing game and ball control. Plus a plethora of RB's and FB's that could all catch the ball and had speed. What do the Jets do ? They pound a 31 year old RB between the tackles to the tune of 3.1 yards per carry. yet Powell who is much younger and more able to take the pounding gets 4 carries.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

And Geno's success isn't perceived either? Neither guy was anything more than average. If Enunwa doesn't run 60 yards to the end zone, Geno's numbers are pedestrian. Receivers have been dropping passes all year. The Jets are second in the league in them. No one is falling for Fitz's success yesterday. He did his job. That's all. 

Of course it isnt perceived. No one is here making comparisons to Fitz in order to say how "awesome" Geno's 4 completions were. You're the one making comparisons in order to establish this perceived success yesterday. Fitz has a sh*tty season going 1-5 and you're comparing because he did "alittle bit" better against the typical below average/poor football team that he always plays "allitle bit better" against. 

If you take away Geno's numbers of course Geno's numbers would be pedestrian. The difference here is you felt the need to make a comparison while at the same time marginalize Geno's stats. 

"If Enunwa doesn't run 60 yards to the end zone, Geno's numbers are pedestrian."....If Enuwna catches the ball and doesnt run 60 yards the drive still continues and Geno adds to his stats on other plays. He also may not get injured later on given that the entire game has now changed and Fitz probably wouldnt see the field and we wouldnt even be having this ridiculous comparison. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick was f'ing benched and he will most likely remain there, and for good reason. Get over it. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Of course it isnt perceived. No one is here making comparisons to Fitz in order to say how "awesome" Geno's 4 completions were. You're the one making comparisons in order to establish this perceived success yesterday. Fitz has a sh*tty season going 1-5 and you're comparing because he did "alittle bit" better against the typical below average/poor football team that he always plays "allitle bit better" against. 

If you take away Geno's numbers of course Geno's numbers would be pedestrian. The difference here is you felt the need to make a comparison while at the same time marginalize Geno's stats. 

"If Enunwa doesn't run 60 yards to the end zone, Geno's numbers are pedestrian."....If Enuwna catches the ball and doesnt run 60 yards the drive still continues and Geno adds to his stats on other plays. He also may not get injured later on given that the entire game has now changed and Fitz probably wouldnt see the field and we wouldnt even be having this ridiculous comparison. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick was f'ing benched and he will most likely remain there, and for good reason. Get over it. 

Remember that play last year against the Titans when Fitzpatrick hit an uncovered Marshall for a TD? Maybe we should take that away from Fitzpatrick. Or how about that TD pass to Powell that he took to the house? Maybe we should take away every TD that every QB gets where the receiver does most of the work via yac? See how silly and agenda driven that sounds? I love their double standards. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Show me where I said he should start. I also never said one guy was better than the other. I said they both were average yesterday and neither one wowed. You're so far up Geno's backside that you can't see what people are actually saying.

Just now, August said:

Remember that play last year against the Titans when Fitzpatrick hit an uncovered Marshall for a TD? Maybe we should take that away from Fitzpatrick. Or how about that TD pass to Powell that he took to the house? Maybe we should take away every TD that every QB gets where the receiver does most of the work via yac? See how silly and agenda driven that sounds? I love their double standards. 

Exactly. Fitz not only threw a lateral pass that Brandon literally ran 70 yards for the TD, but it was also a play where the defense was caught out of position so it wasnt even a play that was defended. 

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Show me where I said he should start. I also never said one guy was better than the other. I said they both were average yesterday and neither one wowed. You're so far up Geno's backside that you can't see what people are actually saying.

Your comparison was stupid. Thats what I showed you. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Your comparison was stupid. Thats what I showed you. 

What comparison? You said at least Geno threw for 10+ yards a completion, well those numbers are skewed by one play. Otherwise his yards per completion were under 9. Yes the play happened, but let's not act like that one play didn't vastly skew those numbers. His rating is also boosted by that one play.  It's a small sample size and there's not much you can really take away from Geno's performance yesterday other than he still holds onto the ball too long and doesn't get rid of it when he needs to, And that Enunwa is a damned freak athlete.

11 hours ago, Larz said:

I read last year's crop sucked. Oops

We've read that every year for the last few seasons.

Fans wait to hear which QBs are viewed as potential top picks.  They look through their college game logs, find one or two clunkers and use that as evidence that said QB is not worthy of a first-round grade.

I hear it every single season.

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

You have about as much sense of humor as a piece of cardboard.  But given YOUR history on here on these boards that is also not surprising.

As a practical matter Fitz did lead the Jets to a come from behind win.  Unless you know, my memory is playing tricks on me an Geno had the Jets in front when he came out.

Geno did also receive the benefit of a 12 yard comeback route where the receiver tacked on an extra 57 yards and six points all on his own.  All things considered that "69-yard TD bomb" from Geno Smith is going to polish up the resume just a bit and look mighty tasty to some when he is pounding the pavement looking for work at the end of the year.

in Canada

Humor? Lol

Geno played well, a hell of a lot better than you predicted. Nowhere near the nightmare performance you warned of. He outplayed Fitz, was nice to see a defense respect the pass for once.  While Fitz was the same old Fitz.  Fitz was the benefactor of a double fumble/1st down otherwise he would have been 0-2 in the red zone with only 3 points to show while losing yards.  Oh, and a easy dropped pick 6.  

But of course it's time to pick it apart and give the credit to others.  

Predictable. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What comparison? You said at least Geno threw for 10+ yards a completion, well those numbers are skewed by one play. Otherwise his yards per completion were under 9. Yes the play happened, but let's not act like that one play didn't vastly skew those numbers. His rating is also boosted by that one play.  It's a small sample size and there's not much you can really take away from Geno's performance yesterday other than he still holds onto the ball too long and doesn't get rid of it when he needs to, And that Enunwa is a damned freak athlete.

Obviously, you don't know what you're "actually saying" yourself.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

everyone misses throws ...you can't analyze every damn throw.

people on this site still crying for passes that complete at a rate of 10 % thinking the strong armed long passer is going to win games. The way this offense is currently running not many QB's would succeed IMHO. Gailey calls way to many passes that attack downfield 20 + yards and this is not what we should be doing.

Sure a long pass can spread the defense but Fitz has thrown plenty of those trying to do just that. Its not that teams don't fear Fitz throwing deep they simply don't fear anything this offense offers because with 4 WR sets and single back sets this offense is horribly predictable. Putting your QB at that disadvantage is no help to him at all.

If you look at Aaron Rodgers struggles this year its the same thing going on. But in the last game McCarthy changed things up by running Montgomery and Cobb and using them out of the backfield making them unpredictable and tough to game plan for and Rodgers responded like we all knew he was capable of.

QB's need help even the great ones ...but when you have QB's that are somewhat limited you have to play to their strengths. Good example is what Bill Walsh did with Montana and the west coast offense that was built around a short passing game and ball control. Plus a plethora of RB's and FB's that could all catch the ball and had speed. What do the Jets do ? They pound a 31 year old RB between the tackles to the tune of 3.1 yards per carry. yet Powell who is much younger and more able to take the pounding gets 4 carries.

I've never been the nitpick over scrutnize type. When comes to QB's if they're moving the ball and putting up points I don't care about their ints as long as they're not losing the games. In short, i'm not a "stats guy." Stats are overrated.

I was however using one, of many examples showing a continuing trend for Fitz. All QB's miss throws yes. His missed throws to open receivers has been high in volume and consistent. 

I don't think Geno is the answer. But I'd rather play Geno at this point than Fitz, until Petty is ready. 

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Just because you say so or do you have something to actually validate your claim? Just watch the game. For a guy who was supposed to be able to throw down field, the coaching staff never called a play for him to do it. Probably because they don't trust him. 

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about because 8 passes is hardly a sample size. Even then, he had one deep pass attempt out of the 8, which Marshall dropped. 

And having a strong arm has nothing to do with taking deep shots, btw. Fitz can throw the ball 40+ yards downfield. By the time the rainbow throw lands, the safety is all over it and any separation can be easily closed by the CB/S. 

Archived