Jet fans are just worn out

Jetster

4 hours ago, Snell41 said:

It's funny because now that I'm 40 I've spent most of my adult fandom on message boards like this one. In my early 20's I was ravenous. Losses were brutal. Just brutal. I would rant and rave on sites at the older folks who were in the position I am now. I had season tickets for 5 years, never missed a game.

Now, honestly, it's not that I love them any less. It's just that I see the signs a mile away. Going into this season we were presented with 2 possibilities-Fitz reverting back to the sh*tty player he's always been, or Fitz potentially becoming the first late career bloomer since Gannon. My 20 year old self would be all over the site with posts on how Fitz would take us to the promised land. Even in today's situation I'd be harping about how we still have a chance. My 40 year old self knows better. My 40 year old self knows that until we have a true franchise QB everything is just a effort in futility. I knew Fitz would bomb. We've seen this story before. Petty will bomb, and Hack will bomb next. We don't get lucky with projects and 4th round picks. And further to that point I can assure you we will likely pass on a potential franchise QB because the FO will believe they have their guy. Then they'll be fired, a new regime will come in wanting to make their mark and win right away to appease and angry fan base and we'll end up with some other retread half ass FA QB that'll win just enough with us to recycle the same thing again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 20 something in me hopes you're wrong. Being 40 something, I'd bet my mortgage that your prediction will come to fruition.

I get pretty pumped up when i see Leonard Williams play, i am excited about our young recievers and linebackers i dont think i am worn down i have accepted this isn't our season but am optimistic about our future...Then again i guess i am always optimistic about our future and it has yet to pay off.

On 10/23/2016 at 10:38 PM, Jetster said:

I've noticed that after this 2-5 start, even after a win the reaction is like, meh. Jet fans really don't care anymore & it's completely understandable and I truly hope that Woody is seeing the same thing & lets Macc do what he needs to do and that's getting looks at as many young players as we can. Even players on the practice squad.

The Fitz Geno debates are really just frustration that we have no other choice until Petty is ready. Any Jet fan under any illusion that we're seeing any type of progression at QB, Oline, or secondary are fooling themselves.

We have zero young studs at CB, Oline, Safety, RB, TE. That's an awful lot of holes. Jet fans might be passionate & sometimes unruly but I think most fans are realists and have just come to the obvious realization that the only way this team is going to get better is to cut the overpriced fat, continue using the draft & show some patience. 

I could care less about Geno because he's just not our future so winning a few games against teams just slightly less sh*tty than us means nothing to me. I really like our young WR core & it would be great if we could draft a stud RB to help them out. So far we have 2 young QBs going forward, maybe we should try to add another like Mike Glennon. But our future means nothing without finding a QB to move forward with. I'll continue to watch but like most of us today, I'm really just interested in individual growth of guys like, Leo, Lee, Burris, Jenkins, Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, J. Marshall, and especially waiting to see if Petty can play. I doubt we'll see Hack unless he's mopping up for a 5-9 season the last 2 games.

Even though I wanted them to win today, I understand it's just practice for our younger players to get better & learn what it takes to win in this league. The Jets are just a complete afterthought by most NFL fans, and why not, we're no threat to compete, we have no star power, and we might be one of the most boring teams to watch in the league. So with all that said, if we can see that how is it possible that Macc doesn't see that & communicate it to the owner of the team? Can Woody really be that stupid? 

So Woody, most of us Jet fans are just asking you to please stop with the band aids, you can't fool us anymore. Signing the Leonard Marshalls & Ronnie Lotts of the world didn't help us years ago and doesn't help now. And stop overpaying our own aging veterans & do what the teams that are successful do, let them walk & let some other stupid franchise overpay them. 

So put a plan together. Amass more draft picks. Keep taking stabs at QBs until we find one, play the youngsters, get Petty in there as soon as possible so he can be evaluated and I'll continue to watch looking for improvement as these young players try to mesh a team. I've waited 48 years, what's a few more? What you've done in the past doesn't work. It's time to rebuild with Macc & his scouts. Let's find some football players to keep adding to what you've started. I'm indifferent right now, let's be bold & give Jet fans something to look forward to at least.

Well I disagree on the bolded part. We just had one of our busiest months of all time. Jets fans seem to be heavily invested for better or worse. :)

11 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

I don't want to come across like a rose colored glasses wearing optimist, butt those rooting for a lose out season and a high pick need to remember some of the crappy picks this team has made with even first rounders the last few years.

And what if the Jets win with Petty at the helm?  That would be sweet.

If the inevitable 8-8 is with Petty I'd be thrilled

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Well I disagree on the bolded part. We just had one of our busiest months of all time. Jets fans seem to be heavily invested for better or worse. :)

I've been teetering on my last strike with you for awhile. I've been on 2 for awhile. It's sad that I don't have.enough passion to worry about strike 3 this year. I wish I had an RV to make me feel better. This team has cucked me

Let's see, on game day I've been apple picking, pumpkin picking, fall foliage driving, and watching reruns of Gilligan's Island while the NFL sells turds to the public like it was soma. The Jets are a bad team, but as other post said, they'll be just good enough when it doesn't count at all to arrive at being barely mediocre and get a 10th round draft pick for another CB. It's such fun being a Jets fan.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Misery loves company and all that.

My GF just dosent get it, and none of my buddys are into the NFL so I come here to bask in the fellow sorrow of my brother Jet fans. Its a service you're providing :) .

On 10/23/2016 at 11:05 PM, Larz said:

too much losing my souls' worn thin.....

I hear this.  I took my daughter for driving lessons after the lol punt fumble TD thing, and when I came back and fitz was in I was like, lol

I didn't even bother with a game ball thread for the first time in like, years. 

I'm numb.  It's my only defense.  I can't imagine what it's like to be around 21 and totally into this team. Back then it took me days to get over a loss.

Now I'm like, here we go, half way through the cycle, wonder what the next coach and QB will be like

spin_cycle_murder_zpsgwja6zz8.gif

There is nothing worse as a fan than being out of the running this early, and make no mistake, we are out of the running.  It is also a little discouraging to look around and not see the talent that the press was extolling before the season.  I am getting too old for the constant shortfall every year.  We never have enough.

What's tough is watching the Cardinals vs Seahawks and watching both defensive lines creating havoc all game long! We're paying Mo a sh*t ton of money & I didn't here his name playing backup Olineman (Iupati was out) for cards, and both guards were out vs Seahawks (1 guy had NEVER played guard), and the statue Palmer & the injured Wilson ate a f*cking ham sandwich back there.

Chandler Jones was wreaking havoc, Bennett was all over the place for the Seahawks. Again, it's the Jets decisions that bite them in the azz. Sheldon proved on Sunday that he's the BETTER player. Not BETTER person but this isn't a popularity contest, it's NFL football and winning & losing. Since we signed Mo, I would trade Sheldon even though he's better & try to sign Chandler Jones, he's in his prime & we have got to find an edge rusher! 

Archived