Who should start Sunday VS Browns?

Lupz27

Sunday Starter.  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Sunday Starter

• Fitz
    • Petty

If Bryce Petty is healthy, he should start.   No more excuses of saying he's not ready.  If the guy is healthy, you start him.  Fitzpatrick is not the future of this franchise.  Look at some of the QB's who have played this season - Dak Prescott, Trevor Siemian, Cody Kessler, Kevin Hogan.  None of these QB's were thought of as franchise quarterbacks before the season but their teams got them ready to play in the NFL.  If the Jets haven't gotten Petty prepared by now, then the entire coaching staff should be fired.

This... "the Jets aren't quite out of it yet" needs to cease.  This team isn't capable of getting to 9-7.  No way. 

The only purpose for the remainder of 2016;

1) Figure out what you have in Petty. 

2) Get these young WRs more snaps with a strong-armed QB. 

3) Decide on Bowles. (I already have but maybe Macc hasn't. )

If Bowles is human he has to be pissed at those fitz comments and want to start petty..

but I don't trust the team right now to make that move...

this is will be an interesting watch to see how the gm, coach and owner respond to this fitz tongue lashing ...

1 minute ago, mphtrilogy said:

If Bowles is human he has to be pissed at those fitz comments and want to start petty..

but I don't trust the team right now to make that move...

this is will be an interesting watch to see how the gm, coach and owner respond to this fitz tongue lashing ...

Imagine the low being held hostage by a journeyman bum QB who openly trashes the organization and still has a job here today.

47 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What should happen?

Fitz till we're eliminated, then Petty.

What I want?  

Petty.

This pretty much exactly.

On a purely personal selfish level I've seen enough of Fitz and want as big of a sample size on Petty as possible. I want to give him as many reps as we can and get as good of an idea as we can what we have in him.

That said until you're totally out of it I think you need to start Fitz or else you risk losing the locker room. Regardless of whether we care as fans he's a well liked and respected veteran. Starting Petty signals we're giving up on the season.

That said if we don't go 2-0 in the next two games I think you might pull Fitz and start Petty vs the Rams. I'd love to get him a start before the BYE -- wouldn't want his first start to be on SNF against the Pats.

All the "Petty's not ready" stuff you hear is ridiculous and belongs to a bygone era.  Unlike the "old days", rookies start in their first year.  After two years in the NFL, Petty should be capable of throwing a square in/square out/go route, a running play, and be able to read a defense.  That's enough for me to start the kid, especially as our alternative is sh*tztragic.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Vote away.

where is the "who gives a sh*t" option? both players will accomplish the same thing. many losses. as average as Fitzpatrick was in his career, he has fallen off of that cliff. petty is probably much worse. he looked decent playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers and guys who didn't even make a team. just like every back up qb the jets ever had and the fans clamoring for him to start.petty was a long term project and still is. you start fitz. he will lead this team to what it needs. an early draft pick. you want to see what petty can do? you insert him in garbage time where there is no pressure. you don't throw the kid in the fire. he will start if/when he is ready

31 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

i didnt see the game sunday.  But the highlights i saw it looked luke balt had many sacks.  Dont put perty in this mess.  Let fitz get killed out there until the line figures out how to block.

Yeah I alluded to this on a different thread.  I get that Smith got hurt trying to extend that play, and so how much was on the OL is not entirely clear.  But we all know Fitzpatrick can get rid of the ball if needed and not take the sack.  How aobut Petty?

The OL is a real concern in that regard.  If they were playing better I would say start Petty now. 

As far as what will happen, aside from what I or other fans want, the CS and FO are not going to say five losses means the season is done.  There's also 3 games cming up before the bye.  If the Jets lose any of them, maybe the switch comes after the bye.  If they lose two?  Getting close to certain.

But what if the Jets win 3 straight with Fitzpatrick at Qb?

12 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Not sure I understand the point being made here that you need to start Fitz until you're officially eliminated (ie he gives us the best chance to win) Does the 2016 Fitz give this team the best chance to win? I'm not so sure.

I don';t know what is in the heads of the Jets' brass on this, and in fact they did decide to move to Smith.

But Petty is still a relative unknown, and there's this sort of principle that once you make a Qb change, going back on it is something that teams just don't do. 

Having said that, I hope they don't extend this out to the 8th loss.  But... don't be surprised if they do.

One other thing - is it realistic at this point that we might see Hackenberg as well as Petty in some regular season action this year?  If so then there's another reason to play Petty sooner than later.

15 minutes ago, mkajet01 said:

It's not as if played good! He was mediocre! He was lucky ravens banged up & made dumb mistakes. What do we have to lose playing petty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The defense FINALLY gets a turnover or two and that is lucky? Isn't that what a good defense is supposed to do once in a while. It's the only way this offense will ever get a short field. How about the FREE seven points the punter handed to the Ravens?

Anyone voting for Fitz must be impervious to reality.  The Jets season is over.  IT'S OVER.  There are 9 games left or less to find out what Bryce Petty is.  The answer is most likely a backup that will compete to start next season.  But the franchise must know by the end of week 17. 

37 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

All the "Petty's not ready" stuff you hear is ridiculous and belongs to a bygone era.  Unlike the "old days", rookies start in their first year.  After two years in the NFL, Petty should be capable of throwing a square in/square out/go route, a running play, and be able to read a defense.  That's enough for me to start the kid, especially as our alternative is sh*tztragic.

I think some people claiming Petty should start this week are missing the fact that he's only been practicing with the team for two weeks since coming back from injury and has received very few reps. Throwing him out there now is setting him up to fail. 

13 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think some people claiming Petty should start this week are missing the fact that he's only been practicing with the team for two weeks since coming back from injury and has received very few reps. Throwing him out there now is setting him up to fail. 

Petty failing is okay with me.  I mean, look at this season. It's the essence of failure with Fitz.   Let the kid learn on the job.  Who knows, he might actually click.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Anyone voting for Fitz must be impervious to reality.  The Jets season is over.  IT'S OVER.  There are 9 games left or less to find out what Bryce Petty is.  The answer is most likely a backup that will compete to start next season.  But the franchise must know by the end of week 17. 

that's great for fans.  the GM and the HC have to try to win. 

petty's rep in college was when his first read isn't open, he gets sacked.  he only recently discovered what an "under" front is

he hasn't taken a rep with the starters yet I believe and hasn't played since august

let him play after the bye week when the jets are mathematically eliminated

that's reality

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

no way we throw Petty in.  Locker room would go crazy.  Fitz has to suck for another few games for this to happen.

Archived