Jets Need to See What they Have in Petty and Hackenberg

Big Blocker

I am not one for thread starting, and in full disclosure the title here is Ralph Vachiano's, since the title says what I think 99% of us here agree on.  But it's the part bolded below, from his column, that interested me (I didn't quote the whole column since the beginning paragraphs are too obvious - check the link below if interested):

It's possible their 2017 quarterback isn't on their roster. But they do have those two young quarterbacks sitting there, collecting dust. Petty, a 25-year-old out of Baylor, has been OK in limited preseason action the last two years, good enough at times to give some in the organization some hope. Clearly, since the Jets drafted Hackenberg in the second-round this past April, GM Mike Maccagnan and his staff weren't sold on Petty's potential. But there's enough talent there to warrant a look in a regular season game.

And it's important that Petty gets that look because he's a key piece of this puzzle. Even if the Jets don't think of Hackenberg as the mistake that so many others around the NFL think he was, they at least know he's more of a project than they expected. Many rookie quarterbacks in recent years have managed to thrive immediately as starters. It speaks volumes about Hackenberg that the Jets didn't think he was even ready for preseason games.

If he's their quarterback of the future, you can bet that they'll bring in a veteran next season to start until he's ready -- maybe just a stopgap free agent like Brian Hoyer or Mike Glennon. Or maybe they go bigger and try to engineer a deal for Jay Cutler or Tony Romo. But perhaps, if Petty plays well enough, he can be the stopgap. Maybe that's unrealistic, but there's only one way to know for sure.

And it wouldn't hurt, by the way, to take a look at Hackenberg, even if it's only in the regular season finale. If he shows no growth, no ability to handle himself after watching and working all season, maybe the conclusion will be that the Jets don't have a quarterback of the future on their roster -- or that his future is not as immediate as they hoped.

That will free them up to go look somewhere else.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-need-to-find-out-what-they-have-with-petty-and-hackenberg/207017354

Hm.  So the question is, is Vachiano correct that the draft of Hackenberg means the FO " clearly... weren't sold on Petty's potential"?  What exactly does that mean? CLEARLY?

I would say first of all being "sold" in regards to a player's potential is not an either/or proposition.  Clearly.  I suppose the argument is no team would have used a second round pick on Hackenberg if they were confident, confident enough, that Petty was "the answer", in turn meaning he would be a solid opening day starter for 17.  Of course you would still need probably two other Qb's on the roster even if you thought that, but I guess the argument is you wouldn't have gone to Hackenberg with your second round pick.  But is that a reasonable inference?

So I guess my real question is how much did the Hackenberg draft pick indicate that the FO were, and inferentially still are, as doubtful about Petty as Vachiano suggests.

Of course this could all just be speculation on Vachiano's part.  You have to wonder, though, when the Jets organization seems to be poo poohing the idea of putting Petty in there, despite their unhappiness with Fitzpatrick.  What gives?

I also left in the third quoted paragraph, not merely the reference to Cutler Romo et al...  Vachiano also in effect refers to Petty as a hold the fort guy, a stopgap, awaiting Hackenberg's development, and says "[m]aybe that's unrealistic..."

Yeah I know, just another article looking for clicks and attention.  But Vachiano's perspective here seems to be at odds with a lot of our perceptions about Petty in particular, and also he seems rather clearly to be saying the Jets see Hackenberg as the better medium term option than Petty.

What do you think?

I think the Jets have to find out what they have in Petty first, then Hack.  If Petty's not injured, he should play.  How is it that other teams can get late round QB's prepared to play but the Jets can't?  Fitzpatrick isn't the answer.  Get Petty on the field and see what you have in him.  If he's not the answer then you move on to Hack or bring in someone else in 2017 to be the QB of this team.

13 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

I think - Oh Goodie! Another thread on quarterbacks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Another thread on the Jets, another thread on Football, so what?  The point is the issue is whether Vachiano is on to anything in suggesting the FO is more down on Petty as compared to Hackenberg than posters are here.

But thanks for your invaluable contribution.  Yes, another thread about football.

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Fans need to come to terms with something:

Until the team is mathematically eliminated from post-season contention, they are simply NOT going to start benching Vets and playing rookies/unknowns instead.

It isn't going to happen, no matter how may posts, no matter how many threads.

When the Jets are out of the race, we MIGHT see those rookies/unknowns.  Like Petty.

Till then, the team, coaches, players, etc. are going to try and win games, and play the players they believe will help them do that best.

So get used to it, Fitz will almost assuredly be starting for a number of weeks (same as Geno would have been had he not been hurt, despite being equally pointless for 2017 and beyond).

The last few weeks, we'll get our "take a look".  Presuming we continue to suck.

It is what it is, collective complaints will not change it. 

A lot of people are overlooking the Vikings QB situation. At the end of the year they will more than likely be parting with one of their QB's. I don't see Bridgewater or Bradford sitting the bench. While I'm not a big Bradford fan I would really like to see Bridgewater on the Jets. The Jets may dump alot of veterans at the end of the season. If Bradford gets the Vik's to the SB Bridgewater may be on the trading block. It might open up the Jets for a blockbuster trade. Drafting another QB would be rolling the dice again and they are pretty good at rolling snake eyes.

5 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

A lot of people are overlooking the Vikings QB situation. At the end of the year they will more than likely be parting with one of their QB's. I don't see Bridgewater or Bradford sitting the bench. While I'm not a big Bradford fan I would really like to see Bridgewater on the Jets. The Jets may dump alot of veterans at the end of the season. If Bradford gets the Vik's to the SB Bridgewater may be on the trading block. It might open up the Jets for a blockbuster trade. Drafting another QB would be rolling the dice again and they are pretty good at rolling snake eyes.

Bridgewater had a catastrophic injury. It's no guarantee he can even play next year(or ever again).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/theres-concern-teddy-bridgewater-might-never-make-it-back-to-the-nfl/

3 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Did you watch Bradford against the Eagles? He fell back down to earth. He's not worth the contract he has or the assets needed to trade for him. Also, there are reports Bridgewater might not ever make it back. Neither is coming to the Jets. 

6 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Also with the Vikings, they were looking into trading for petty when Teddy ballgame went down, not Geno.  That says something to me as well.

16 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

I would really like to see Bridgewater on the Jets.

The guys who gumby'd his knee without even taking a hit?

The guy who may not even be ready to play at the start of next year?  

Or ever:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2671564-teddy-bridgewater-injury-update-doctors-reportedly-concerned-about-qbs-future?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

The guy who, despite the massive risk, would likely cost the Jets a 1st round or more pick to acquire?

Why would you want to take on that risk at that cost for a guy who is simply not a proven commodity as yet?

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The guy who may not even be ready to play at the start of next year?  Or ever.

The guy who, despite the massive risk, would likely cost the Jets a 1st round or more pick to acquire?

Why would you want to take on that risk at that cost for a guy who is simply not a proven commodity as yet?

because.....

JETS!

54 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

I am not one for thread starting, and in full disclosure the title here is Ralph Vachiano's, since the title says what I think 99% of us here agree on.  But it's the part bolded below, from his column, that interested me (I didn't quote the whole column since the beginning paragraphs are too obvious - check the link below if interested):

It's possible their 2017 quarterback isn't on their roster. But they do have those two young quarterbacks sitting there, collecting dust. Petty, a 25-year-old out of Baylor, has been OK in limited preseason action the last two years, good enough at times to give some in the organization some hope. Clearly, since the Jets drafted Hackenberg in the second-round this past April, GM Mike Maccagnan and his staff weren't sold on Petty's potential. But there's enough talent there to warrant a look in a regular season game.

And it's important that Petty gets that look because he's a key piece of this puzzle. Even if the Jets don't think of Hackenberg as the mistake that so many others around the NFL think he was, they at least know he's more of a project than they expected. Many rookie quarterbacks in recent years have managed to thrive immediately as starters. It speaks volumes about Hackenberg that the Jets didn't think he was even ready for preseason games.

If he's their quarterback of the future, you can bet that they'll bring in a veteran next season to start until he's ready -- maybe just a stopgap free agent like Brian Hoyer or Mike Glennon. Or maybe they go bigger and try to engineer a deal for Jay Cutler or Tony Romo. But perhaps, if Petty plays well enough, he can be the stopgap. Maybe that's unrealistic, but there's only one way to know for sure.

And it wouldn't hurt, by the way, to take a look at Hackenberg, even if it's only in the regular season finale. If he shows no growth, no ability to handle himself after watching and working all season, maybe the conclusion will be that the Jets don't have a quarterback of the future on their roster -- or that his future is not as immediate as they hoped.

That will free them up to go look somewhere else.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-need-to-find-out-what-they-have-with-petty-and-hackenberg/207017354

Hm.  So the question is, is Vachiano correct that the draft of Hackenberg means the FO " clearly... weren't sold on Petty's potential"?  What exactly does that mean? CLEARLY?

I would say first of all being "sold" in regards to a player's potential is not an either/or proposition.  Clearly.  I suppose the argument is no team would have used a second round pick on Hackenberg if they were confident, confident enough, that Petty was "the answer", in turn meaning he would be a solid opening day starter for 17.  Of course you would still need probably two other Qb's on the roster even if you thought that, but I guess the argument is you wouldn't have gone to Hackenberg with your second round pick.  But is that a reasonable inference?

So I guess my real question is how much did the Hackenberg draft pick indicate that the FO were, and inferentially still are, as doubtful about Petty as Vachiano suggests.

Of course this could all just be speculation on Vachiano's part.  You have to wonder, though, when the Jets organization seems to be poo poohing the idea of putting Petty in there, despite their unhappiness with Fitzpatrick.  What gives?

I also left in the third quoted paragraph, not merely the reference to Cutler Romo et al...  Vachiano also in effect refers to Petty as a hold the fort guy, a stopgap, awaiting Hackenberg's development, and says "[m]aybe that's unrealistic..."

Yeah I know, just another article looking for clicks and attention.  But Vachiano's perspective here seems to be at odds with a lot of our perceptions about Petty in particular, and also he seems rather clearly to be saying the Jets see Hackenberg as the better medium term option than Petty.

What do you think?

Well, Goff was the first round pick and he is sitting.  So Hack sitting does not overly concern me. You can never tell how QBs are going to be. These guys play in these clown offensive systems in college.  The adjustent can be drastic. I can certainly see the Jets not being enthralled by a 4th round pick. Petty also came from a loopy offensive system.  They probably still should look at him. Maybe he is one of those guys who perform better in games.  And at worst, they can look at him to see what kind of backup material he can be.

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Or ever:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2671564-teddy-bridgewater-injury-update-doctors-reportedly-concerned-about-qbs-future?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

I think he is extremely limited as a QB

38 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Another thread on the Jets, another thread on Football, so what?  The point is the issue is whether Vachiano is on to anything in suggesting the FO is more down on Petty as compared to Hackenberg than posters are here.

But thanks for your invaluable contribution.  Yes, another thread about football.

I think like most of the posters here it could go both ways.  Maybe they drafted Hack because they felt Petty would be good enough to hold down the fort either end of this year or next year. Fitz and Geno basically gone after this year could lend credence to this. 

Knowing Hack was a 2-3 year project at Best tjey felt Petty could play well enough to maybe even have some trade value or be the man if Hack turns out to be, well err, a Hack? 

I think  that is most likely.  If they really didn't believe in Hack I think they trade up go for someone who could be ready quicker or right away. 

Petty getting winged in pre-season, Fitz hitting the wall almost instantly and finally Geno tearing his ACL basically perfect stormed whatever plan they had. Typical. 

11 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I think like most of the posters here it could go both ways.  Maybe they drafted Hack because they felt Petty would be good enough to hold down the fort either end of this year or next year. Fitz and Geno basically gone after this year could lend credence to this. 

Knowing Hack was a 2-3 year project at Best tjey felt Petty could play well enough to maybe even have some trade value or be the man if Hack turns out to be, well err, a Hack? 

I think  that is most likely.  If they really didn't believe in Hack I think they trade up go for someone who could be ready quicker or right away. 

Petty getting winged in pre-season, Fitz hitting the wall almost instantly and finally Geno tearing his ACL basically perfect stormed whatever plan they had. Typical. 

I think when teams need QBs, good GMs try to draft one every year.  That is how imperfect a science it is. They may have always viewed Petty as a potential backup, and just crossed their fingers and hoped for more.

3 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I think when teams need QBs, good GMs try to draft one every year.  That is how imperfect a science it is. They may have always viewed Petty as a potential backup, and just crossed their fingers and hoped for more.

Problem is we have so many other glaring needs and we weaken the team not drafting other position players in round 2 we should have drafted a player that could be playing and helping this team not a player who may never ever see the field. 

Maybe Macc pulls off a blockbuster trade for a franchise QB the way we draft it might be the only way. 

Both Quarterbacks were seen as projects when the Jets drafes them. I don't think the  Hackenberg pick was a knock on Petty. They're just not putting all their eggs in anyone's basket.

With Hack, We heard how much Mac loved him months before the draft. That was no knee jerk draft selection. But there are huge risks with Hackenerg. So I like that they're actually trying to draft and develop our own guys for once. He clearly thinks Hackneberg has the goods to be a franchise guy, although a project to get there.

I guess they figure between these they're hoping one will be a franchise Quarterback and the other a reliable back up, both groomed in the same system since being drafted.

For once though we are addressing the most importsnt position and trying to develop them properly. Also, they're both prototypical in size and arm strength. No more noodle arms, or recycling other teams disgarded garbage. 

This year isn't for Hack though. He needs this upcoming off season for his mechanics, learning NFL defenses and offenses as much as Petty needed his offseason last year.

8 minutes ago, jack48 said:

If they really had him mostly slated as a back up then they must think Hack would be ready to start in a year? We know they would rather gargle rat balls than play Geno. Pretty much proved that. Again, I hope to hell they aren't the only ones in the room that thought Fitz would fare better against a schedule with winning teams.  If that is the case, then honestly it's time to spread the gas and toss the match. Again. 

I don't put any stock in the article.  Think  Vachiano is just rehashing some past rumors, 

Don't see the drafting of Hack is any reflection on Petty one way or the other.   Petty has played reasonably well in the appearances we have seen him in pre-season.  And certainly has the physical tools.

Think Macc was just enamored with Hack because his respected  friend  loved him 3 years ago.

Also if the Jets attempt to trade for either Romo or Cutler, Macc should be fired on the spot.

I'd like to see Petty this Sunday.  Realistically I know that's not going to happen, nor should it.  Kid has never been in an NFL game, and hasn't practiced in 6 weeks.  Not a good combination.  Fitz has to start against the Browns.

Here's the problem for Petty this year.  Strongly doubtful the Jets will bench Fitz again until the magic number in the loss column turns to 8.  Jets have 3 winnable games coming up before the bye.  If the Jets win all 3 of them, odds are Fitz finishes the season..

I would like VERY MUCH to see Petty sooner rather then later.  Just to see if he is worth keeping, or should be in the Jets plans as a potential starter moving forward.   If it does happen, doubt it will happen till after the pats game

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If they really had him mostly slated as a back up then they must think Hack would be ready to start in a year? We know they would rather gargle rat balls than play Geno. Pretty much proved that. Again, I hope to hell they aren't the only ones in the room that thought Fitz would fare better against a schedule with winning teams.  If that is the case, then honestly it's time to spread the gas and toss the match. Again. 

I actually think that Macc believed Hack was going to be aces.  He may not think so now but I beleive he thought he got a steal.  Hack has a big body and a big arm.  He is supposed to have a big brain, but hey, Geno had tools too.  What bugs me about this team is that I do not see the future anywhere.  We are Win Now.  Or should I say Lose Now?  I know it takes a while to draft some youth and depth into your system and that this approach was anathema to Mr. T.  And Idzik had no clue.  But what happens if Hack does get it?  He is probably going to be running for his life again, just like he did at Penn State.  Same for Petty, if he surprises.  We are either far away from being consistent winners or a year away from more Vets, more stopgaps, and more futile hopes of a Wild Card playoff spot.

To be fair petty did not look great last year , that is what they had to go on prior to the draft. Petty looked much better in the preseason this yr, so that is encouraging. I'm very interested to see hack play. His first preseason drive showed a glimpse of his potential. He was throwing ropes and drove right down the field in like 5 plays. He looked terrible the rest of his time, but he had limited reps the entire preseason and that last game he was only supposed to play a quarter but petty was injured.

he has gotten all the 3rd string reps while petty was injured and should be more comfortable with the playbook now. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I liked Bridgewater. Has the respect from coaches and players. The report says he's making good progress. Considering a non contact injury I find it hard to believe he's done, (sells papers from the beat writers) but it's possible. I would like to see a player/s for player trade not a draft pick trade.

Just now, MaxAF said:

I liked Bridgewater. Has the respect from coaches and players. The report says he's making good progress. Considering a non contact injury I find it hard to believe he's done, (sells papers from the beat writers) but it's possible. I would like to see a player/s for player trade not a draft pick trade.

Teddy Bridgewater is done theres no way in hell he plays another down of NFL football. 

35 minutes ago, Barkus said:

To be fair petty did not look great last year , that is what they had to go on prior to the draft. Petty looked much better in the preseason this yr, so that is encouraging. I'm very interested to see hack play. His first preseason drive showed a glimpse of his potential. He was throwing ropes and drove right down the field in like 5 plays. He looked terrible the rest of his time, but he had limited reps the entire preseason and that last game he was only supposed to play a quarter but petty was injured.

he has gotten all the 3rd string reps while petty was injured and should be more comfortable with the playbook now. 

Actually petty looked very good in the 2nd pre-season game against Atlanta last year, and OK the other appearances he made.  There is no pre-season game reason to think Petty can't be a decent NFL QB.

Like Hack, he has a big body, big arm.  Unlike either Hack or smith he actually got a Heisman vote  

11 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

The non contact injuries are usually worse than the contact ones.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Thank you, this is what I was getting at in copying from Vachiano's article and writing my post.  I don't think it fair he said CLEARLY the Jets brass is not sold on Petty if by that is meant they, as of now, do not have any real expectation he can be the answer at Qb.  That doesn't mean they do not have that view, though.  The point instead is that at the time of the draft I don't think they felt Hackenberg would require all that much in the way of development as it now appears, meaning appears since camp and pre-season.  Meanwhile, not known to them at  the time of the draft, Petty showed up and looked, well, better than I think many here expected.  So it is a reach to say the Hackenberg draft pick means they do not, as of now, think all that much of Petty as a prospect. 

But again, despite that argument, they might well not think so much of Petty. Maybe the FO is more invested in Hackenberg that some here feel is indicated.  Maybe they are worried about how easily he got injured, and maybe he's injured worse than they have let on.  I just got the sense from Vachiano's article that he either was reaching in making conclusions about Petty or some info he has about the inside view on Petty is less optimistic than some here including myself have had about Petty.

After all the day after the Smith news I read Vachiano say they might let Petty play one game???  Might?  Gee that doesn't sound like they think too much of him as a prospect.

57 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I don't put any stock in the article.  Think  Vachiano is just rehashing some past rumors, 

Don't see the drafting of Hack is any reflection on Petty one way or the other.   Petty has played reasonably well in the appearances we have seen him in pre-season.  And certainly has the physical tools.

Think Macc was just enamored with Hack because his respected  friend  loved him 3 years ago.

Also if the Jets attempt to trade for either Romo or Cutler, Macc should be fired on the spot.

I'd like to see Petty this Sunday.  Realistically I know that's not going to happen, nor should it.  Kid has never been in an NFL game, and hasn't practiced in 6 weeks.  Not a good combination.  Fitz has to start against the Browns.

Here's the problem for Petty this year.  Strongly doubtful the Jets will bench Fitz again until the magic number in the loss column turns to 8.  Jets have 3 winnable games coming up before the bye.  If the Jets win all 3 of them, odds are Fitz finishes the season..

I would like VERY MUCH to see Petty sooner rather then later.  Just to see if he is worth keeping, or should be in the Jets plans as a potential starter moving forward.   If it does happen, doubt it will happen till after the pats game

on one hand yeah in posting the article I was questioning whether he made the case that drafting Hack was a reflection on Petty.

But I am not in agreement with the part about Romo and Cutler.  The logic of seeing what Petty and Hack have this season is that the answer may be that between the two of them there's not enough to go into the next season.  In which case the alternatives have to include signing a vet who can start.  I am not invested in Romo or Cutler per se at this point and in any event a particular player would be more or less attractive depending on the cost in obtaining them.  But the only scenario I see where there is no move to get a vet Qb is one where either Petty or Hackenberg show themselves to be a reasonable prospect to be ready to start in 17, with the other as a good backup.

While that would be great, we can hardly count on it.

Archived