Trade Deadline

SR24

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope we trade Sheldon Richardson for picks. Not because I don't like him, I like him more than Wilk, but I we already overpaid Will and Leo I think will be the best of the 3. So, one has to go.

Although something like this will probably be more likely to happen during the offseason. 

They can't trade SR this year.  Mo is still hurt and is ineffective.  They actually need SR to play.

Woody and Co are very concerned about getting value, even if it results in an unbalanced team.  They were not going to let Mo walk, even though he was coming back off a broken leg (and would likely be impaired for a while) and we would receive a compensatory pick.  Look what the Broncos did compared to the Jets:

SIgning the QB:

• Broncos let the Texans overpay Osweiler
  • Jets overpaid Fitz

Drafting a QB:

• Broncos chose/reached for a potential franchise QB in the 1st round, Paxton Lynch
  • Jets passed on Lynch and chose an undersized but speedy inside LB

Inside LB

• Broncos pick them in the lower rounds and let Danny Trevethan, who is good, sign with the Bears for big money
  • Jets picked an undersized ILB in the first round

3-4 DT

• Broncos let Malik Jackson, who is very good, sign with the Jaguars
  • Jets franchised Mo and then signed him.

Late Round QB

• Broncos picked a relatively unknown QB from Northwestern in the 7th round in 2015, developed him and started him in 2016
  • Jets picked an All-American QB in the fourth round (trading up) and will not play him.

Which team is better and more respected for its management?

I would not feel bad about a trade of Sheldon for picks but I doubt many teams would be willing to take him on knowing the future contract will be more than what many teams will want to spend on DL. 

Otherwise I do not see a lot of probable trades out there that improves our roster at any position except maybe TE. With four TEs on the roster it doesn't make sense to add to that number. Macc has done an okay job drafting (at least with later rounds) that I'd rather get more solid young guys on the roster than trade away picks for a couple years of another team's vet discards. 

2 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

I would not feel bad about a trade of Sheldon for picks but I doubt many teams would be willing to take him on knowing the future contract will be more than what many teams will want to spend on DL. 

Otherwise I do not see a lot of probable trades out there that improves our roster at any position except maybe TE. With four TEs on the roster it doesn't make sense to add to that number. Macc has done an okay job drafting (at least with later rounds) that I'd rather get more solid young guys on the roster than trade away picks for a couple years of another team's vet discards. 

I dunno - with the baggage that Sheldon carries, I thought he'd be cheaper to resign than Mo....

15 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Maccagnan is not going to trade for any players because the team needs to keep their draft picks

Yeah, we have no cap space to trade for anyone. And we need the ammo to get some rookies to bring that same cap down in the future. If we were a 3-4 team, I could see us taking a shot at a corner or something and restructuring someone. But at 2-5, I'm willing to bet my house we won't see a trade, unless we are sending a player for pick(s).

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Id be willing to trade a year or 2 of first round picks for say a QB like Andrew Luck. 

I'd send a 1st and a 2nd even for Brady at his current age if it means a deep playoff run.

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

Yeah, we have no cap space to trade for anyone. And we need the ammo to get some rookies to bring that same cap down in the future. If we were a 3-4 team, I could see us taking a shot at a corner or something and restructuring someone. But at 2-5, I'm willing to bet my house we won't see a trade, unless we are sending a player for pick(s).

Cap space?  How much cap space is Breno taking up?  

The browns are asking a 2nd round pick for Joe Thomas. I'd be interested to see if Clady would move to the right side if asked (unlikely) but if so i'd pull the trigger on that trade. Have Petty behind Carpenter Thomas Mangold and Clady. Definitely couldn't hurt his development lol

Just now, SR24 said:

The browns are asking a 2nd round pick for Joe Thomas. I'd be interested to see if Clady would move to the right side if asked (unlikely) but if so i'd pull the trigger on that trade. Have Petty behind Carpenter Thomas Mangold and Clady. Definitely couldn't hurt his development lol

Sounds like a good move build that offensive line. 

17 minutes ago, peebag said:

I dunno - with the baggage that Sheldon carries, I thought he'd be cheaper to resign than Mo....

Given how much he aligned himself with Mo during Mo's contract negotiations I doubt Sheldon would have taken much less on a contract. What he would have wanted instead of Mo was probably a lot more than what he is worth to the team with the drug and criminal issues. 

35 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I hope we trade Sheldon Richardson for picks. Not because I don't like him, I like him more than Wilk, but I we already overpaid Will and Leo I think will be the best of the 3. So, one has to go.

Although something like this will probably be more likely to happen during the offseason. 

This isn't a bad thought, except with Mo banged up they might as well order a billboard saying they're giving up on the season. So I don't see that happening until Mo returns and shows he's totally back. Then it could be rationalized as having too many of the same type of player and it's just redundant keeping both.

No trade required immediate help at the Safety position 

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, "teams have begun expressing interest" in free agent S Taylor Mays.

Mays comes off suspension next week. Per Rapsheet, Mays is "healthy" now after spending the past few weeks in a treatment facility for substance abuse. Rapoport also mentioned that the Bengals, who cut Mays this summer, "may" have interest in bringing him back. Mays graded out as PFF's 55th-best safety out of 87 qualifiers in 2015.

27 minutes ago, varjet said:

Jets picked an All-American QB in the fourth round (trading up) and will not play him.

Dude, Bryce Petty is hurt. it's not some conspiracy theory. The last time we all saw this player he was getting his armpit driven into field turf. We don't know what the injury is exactly or how bad it is or even how he's recovering. When I saw it, fwiw, it looked season ending at the time. It was an ugly injury. 

It's not that they "will not play him." he got hurt. sh*t happens. 

and side note Denver is a Super Bowl caliber club and they built a program around a HOF QB in Peyton Manning. The Jets tried to get Peyton Manning, remember? He stayed in school rather than let Parcells draft him. 

It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. 

Just now, bitonti said:

Dude, Bryce Petty is hurt. it's not some conspiracy theory. The last time we all saw this player he was getting his armpit driven into field turf. We don't know what the injury is exactly or how bad it is or even how he's recovering. When I saw it, fwiw, it looked season ending at the time. It was an ugly injury. 

It's not that they "will not play him." he got hurt. sh*t happens. 

and side note Denver is a Super Bowl caliber club and they built a program around a HOF QB in Peyton Manning. It's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. 

Why wasn't he put on the IR? 

Why are the Jets the only team to carry  4 QB's in the NFL yet none of them are worth a damn. 

In Macc we trust those Texans looked good last night. 

Saw this in SI this morning.  I think both ideas make sense if they were to happen...

brandon-marshall-nfl-trade-deadline.jpg?

The Chiefs have won two-straight to improve to 4–2 and their schedule could set them up to go on a long winning streak, just like they did to last season. The Jets, despite beating the Ravens, are 2–5 and going nowhere. They are in the midst of a rebuild with problems at quarterback, secondary, edge rusher and linebacker. Even though Eric Decker is lost for the season, having Marshall on the roster without a future quarterback makes no sense. Plus, he could blow up at anytime. And I’m sure he would love catching passes from the likes of Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg next season. On the other end, the Chiefs, who should be getting OLB Justin Houston back soon, are fine on defense (8th by FootballOutsiders.com) but plodding along on offense (20th). With JamaalCharles getting healthier, the Chiefs need some more weapons in the pass game if they want to punch through and at least make the AFC Championship Game. That would likely mean a victory over New England or Pittsburgh, and the way through both of those teams is not on the ground, it’s through the air. The Chiefs have good options at No. 1 WR(Jeremy Maclin), RB (Charles, Spencer Ware) and TE (Travis Kelce). Adding another weapon, especially a big red-zone target like Marshall, would make the Chiefs very difficult to defend. The Chiefs were knocked off by the Patriots in the postseason last year when they scored 20 points (13 until a garbage-time score). That’s not good enough to upset the Steelers or the Patriots this time around either.

sheldon-richardson-nfl-trade-deadline.jp

If Colts GM Ryan Grigson was okay with sending a first-round pick to the Brown for RB Trent Richardson, he should leap at the chance to finally get a disruptive young lineman like Richardson. Most people think the Colts need offensive line help. That would certainly be an improvement, but getting somebody—anybody—that can actually disrupt the opposing passer and rusher would mean a lot more (Colts are 21st in offense, 31st in defense according to FO). And Richardson is so good and his skills so varied that he could immediately help in both areas. The Jets already signed Muhammad Wilkerson to a big-money contract extension and Leonard Williams is a young stud up front. They have so many areas that need to be addressed, so New York should diversify its payroll and take some money out of the defensive line. 

Trade Nick Folk to Arizona.

I like Folk plenty, but we're not contenders and he's not so good that he should be untouchable. Decent chance he's at least mentioned as a cap liability for 2017 year anyway, if not the year after that when he'll need a new deal.

Don't know what we could get for him, but this is a perfect trade partner. They had the game wrapped up and just seeing that reaction from Arians (who tried to punch it in twice because he was justifiably afraid of Catanzaro missing a chip shot).

Why do people want to give up on the season with 3 winnable games ahead of us? We've beaten Baltimore and Buffalo. Both teams are better or right around the same talent level as the 3 teams we play before the bye. I know the Jets are 2-5 so everyone is going to act like the world is falling and the Jets couldn't beat a pop warner team. But looking at things realistically, the Jets have a shot at being 5-5 heading into the BYE week.

The Jets aren't going to be giving up on the season at this point. Of course things can change if they go 1-2 over this 3 game stretch. But they aren't going to be making any moves at the deadline.

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Why do people want to give up on the season with 3 winnable games ahead of us? We've beaten Baltimore and Buffalo. Both teams are better or right around the same talent level as the 3 teams we play before the bye. I know the Jets are 2-5 so everyone is going to act like the world is falling and the Jets couldn't beat a pop warner team. But looking at things realistically, the Jets have a shot at being 5-5 heading into the BYE week.

The Jets aren't going to be giving up on the season at this point. Of course things can change if they go 1-2 over this 3 game stretch. But they aren't going to be making any moves at the deadline.

Havent you heard the news Ryan Fitzpatrick is the starting QB again....

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Because against some of the better teams in the league, the Jets crapped their pants.  

23 minutes ago, varjet said:

They can't trade SR this year.  Mo is still hurt and is ineffective.  They actually need SR to play.

Woody and Co are very concerned about getting value, even if it results in an unbalanced team.  They were not going to let Mo walk, even though he was coming back off a broken leg (and would likely be impaired for a while) and we would receive a compensatory pick.  Look what the Broncos did compared to the Jets:

SIgning the QB:

• Broncos let the Texans overpay Osweiler
  • Jets overpaid Fitz

Drafting a QB:

• Broncos chose/reached for a potential franchise QB in the 1st round, Paxton Lynch
  • Jets passed on Lynch and chose an undersized but speedy inside LB

Inside LB

• Broncos pick them in the lower rounds and let Danny Trevethan, who is good, sign with the Bears for big money
  • Jets picked an undersized ILB in the first round

3-4 DT

• Broncos let Malik Jackson, who is very good, sign with the Jaguars
  • Jets franchised Mo and then signed him.

Late Round QB

• Broncos picked a relatively unknown QB from Northwestern in the 7th round in 2015, developed him and started him in 2016
  • Jets picked an All-American QB in the fourth round (trading up) and will not play him.

The team that just won the Super Bowl? Going out on a limb but feel pretty good about my choice. 

Just now, peekskill68 said:

Saw this in SI this morning.  I think both ideas make sense if they were to happen...

brandon-marshall-nfl-trade-deadline.jpg?

The Chiefs have won two-straight to improve to 4–2 and their schedule could set them up to go on a long winning streak, just like they did to last season. The Jets, despite beating the Ravens, are 2–5 and going nowhere. They are in the midst of a rebuild with problems at quarterback, secondary, edge rusher and linebacker. Even though Eric Decker is lost for the season, having Marshall on the roster without a future quarterback makes no sense. Plus, he could blow up at anytime. And I’m sure he would love catching passes from the likes of Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg next season. On the other end, the Chiefs, who should be getting OLB Justin Houston back soon, are fine on defense (8th by FootballOutsiders.com) but plodding along on offense (20th). With JamaalCharles getting healthier, the Chiefs need some more weapons in the pass game if they want to punch through and at least make the AFC Championship Game. That would likely mean a victory over New England or Pittsburgh, and the way through both of those teams is not on the ground, it’s through the air. The Chiefs have good options at No. 1 WR(Jeremy Maclin), RB (Charles, Spencer Ware) and TE (Travis Kelce). Adding another weapon, especially a big red-zone target like Marshall, would make the Chiefs very difficult to defend. The Chiefs were knocked off by the Patriots in the postseason last year when they scored 20 points (13 until a garbage-time score). That’s not good enough to upset the Steelers or the Patriots this time around either.

sheldon-richardson-nfl-trade-deadline.jp

If Colts GM Ryan Grigson was okay with sending a first-round pick to the Brown for RB Trent Richardson, he should leap at the chance to finally get a disruptive young lineman like Richardson. Most people think the Colts need offensive line help. That would certainly be an improvement, but getting somebody—anybody—that can actually disrupt the opposing passer and rusher would mean a lot more (Colts are 21st in offense, 31st in defense according to FO). And Richardson is so good and his skills so varied that he could immediately help in both areas. The Jets already signed Muhammad Wilkerson to a big-money contract extension and Leonard Williams is a young stud up front. They have so many areas that need to be addressed, so New York should diversify its payroll and take some money out of the defensive line. 

I don't know how eager Indy is to trade another 1st round pick away after the Trent Richardson fiasco. If we get offered even a 2nd round pick for Sheldon, now that Mo is locked up, they should take it and thank their lucky stars. Anyone objecting can argue he's worth more than that all you want. He isn't worth more than that to us. If we had a pair of 2nd rounders (but no Sheldon) right now we wouldn't trade one of them away to get him with just the $8M option year remaining on his contract anyhow. 

Brandon Marshall for a (late) 2nd? Tough call. I know we have some good young talent, but this decision would be a lot easier if Decker wasn't out for the year. Looks really bad if we trade him away now. Don't forget for a pro bowl WR he's still not particularly expensive and is an outright bargain next year at $7.5M. I'd feel better if we got another pick in addition, if the 2nd rounder is going to be a later one like from KC.

It's best to get the most ideal value for them. But better to dump them a year too early than a year too late. Especially when we're not serious contenders in the short term anyhow.

I wouldn't fault Maccagnan for making either of these moves. 

3 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Yes. And look at the remaining schedule...

About the only way we're getting to playoffs is if we win out.  C'mon, you really think that's going to happen considering what this team has looked like the past 7 games?

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Fitz had a good year last season beating a lot of teams that resemble the remaining teams left on the Jets schedule. They aren't given up on the season just because fans have.

Dolphins 2x 

Patriots 2x 

Bills 1x 

Colts 1x

Not an easy task for Fitz 

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

:rolleyes:

NFL isn't MLB.  We're not trading anyone.

This comment of yours could have been without quoting anyone. You're trying really hard to take shots at me anyplace you think you see an opening and your frustration couldn't be more obvious lol.

You should try love instead. That's what we do at JetNation. We love you all.

1 minute ago, peebag said:

About the only way we're getting to playoffs is if we win out.  C'mon, you really think that's going to happen considering what this team has looked like the past 7 games?

I'm not saying we are going to the playoffs. But my point is that the Jets aren't going to give up on the season yet. They're going to see how they stand going into the bye week first. They have 3 teams in front of them who they can beat.

Archived