No room for any more BS...

UpstateJetsGuru

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:14 PM, SAR I said:

The parallels to the Mark Sanchez situation are uncanny.

Don't have a franchise quarterback, check. Invest ridiculous draft picks and cap dollars on the defense, check.  Ask a guy with limited skills to be a game manager, check.  Bring in a rookie head coach with a defensive pedigree, check.  Commit your identity to the defense, check.  Have a strategy to win games like the '85 Bears, check.  And then when your defense is a pile of crap and you fall behind in games early and often and ground and pound is stuck in the mud and your game manager is asked to chuck the ball around like '85 Marino and turnovers ensue, BLAME THE QUARTERBACK!

It's hysterical.  Terrible head coach, terrible defensive coordinator, worst secondary in the league, Revis mailing it in, Mo and Sheldon playing out of position, Lee incapable of stopping TE's, Harris making terrible judgement calls, more bombs over 30 yards than any team in the league, BLAME THE QUARTERBACK!

Same. Old. Jets. Fans.  Always looking for the easy answer, always looking for the easy soundbyte, always a scapegoat on the wrong side of the ball.

SAR I

Great post, and let's not forget how Pryor has played, meaning no real improvement we all reasonably expected from the first round pick, and Skrine and M Williams sucking.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/25/2016 at 2:15 PM, flgreen said:

I'm not generally a basher of Woody, but the way this QB disaster has gone down, Bowles saying Sunday night that Fitz would definitely start against the Ravens, then the next day, with out looking at film, or talking to his coaches, while bashing smith with the "He's a back up for a reason" quote, suddenly making smith the starter, seems to have Woody's finger prints all over it.

IF this is true, Woody needs to let his professionals make football decisions. 

He never said that Fitz would definitely start so I have no idea where you getting that from.  In fact he said, Fitz was the starter at that time because they never like to make changes until they have time to review the film and talk with his coaches.    There is nothing in that statement that said Fitz was definitely starting against the Ravens.  

47 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I never said either Sanchez or Fitzpatrick were good game managers.  I merely said the team strategy for both quarterbacks was to 1) have an elite Top 3 defense, 2) have a Top 3 running game, and 3) have a quarterback who could manage a game and not screw up the dominance of #1 and #2.

So when #1 and #2 don't happen, and when we have to play catch up because we can't run and our D can't stop the pass, our knowingly limited quarterbacks are forced to play way outside their comfort zone and chuck the pumpkin all over the field and disaster strikes.  What would be refreshing would be if Jets fans recognized all of this and pointed the finger of blame at #1 and #2 and not at #3.

SAR I

Neither is suited to be a game manager. A game manager's job is to minimize mistakes with smart play, even if they're limited in what they can do by ability. These are both careless players who have always done dumb - if not embarrassing - things, and Sanchez doesn't have these physical limitations anyhow. 

Sanchez would be brought in by anyone to be a playmaker not a game manager. Because he is so ill-suited for the latter, Denver didn't even keep him on their SB-ready roster that merely needed the game manager you think he is.

What would be "refreshing" is if you and the 3 remaining holdouts finally admitted he sucks after all those years staring in this league. That while anyone can draft a bust, it was a Jets tragedy when the team extended him after seeing what he was up close for years. 

No game managers here. Fitz having a pellet gun for an arm, and a degree from Harvard, doesn't make him a game manager or even a smart player at all. He's neither.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Neither is suited to be a game manager. A game manager's job is to minimize mistakes with smart play, even if they're limited in what they can do by ability. These are both careless players who have always done dumb - if not embarrassing - things, and Sanchez doesn't have these physical limitations anyhow. 

Sanchez would be brought in by anyone to be a playmaker not a game manager. Because he is so ill-suited for the latter, Denver didn't even keep him on their SB-ready roster that merely needed the game manager you think he is.

What would be refreshing is if you finally admitted he sucks and, while anyone can draft a bust, it was a tragedy when the team extended him after seeing what he was up close for years. 

I've said it before, and I'll say it here again. The Sanchez swing and miss, at the spot he was taken, is the biggest draft mistake the Jets have ever made . It set this team back at least 10 years at the most important position on the field. We are arguing today about Fitz, Petty and Hack in large measure because we drafted Sanchez. Bad picks like Blair Thomas, Gholston, Coples aren't franchise killers....lousy QB's are. 

39 minutes ago, section314 said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it here again. The Sanchez swing and miss, at the spot he was taken, is the biggest draft mistake the Jets have ever made . It set this team back at least 10 years at the most important position on the field. We are arguing today about Fitz, Petty and Hack in large measure because we drafted Sanchez. Bad picks like Blair Thomas, Gholston, Coples aren't franchise killers....lousy QB's are. 

absolutely correct.  While the sequence of going from the Favre year into the draft where Sanchez was selected was hardly a year where the Jets were tanking it for a better draft pick, it nonetheless is for me a cautionary tale when the notion of tanking is being pushed around here.  The reason is by trading up the Jets were trying to put themselves in the position they would be if they tanked, fifth pick in the first round.  And what did they do with that pick?

I am not saying the Jets cannot use a first round pick correctly.  But they have had their issues with them, and don't forget Gholston at 6.  Until proven otherwise there's nothing automatic with this team putting a high first round pick to good use.  And there's nothing automatic that says tanking will give you a great player.

50 minutes ago, section314 said:

Mark Sanchez is the only playoff caliber quarterback we have had in the last 48 years. 

You may have said this before, you definitely should never say this again.

SAR I  

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It's like bizarro world defending Fitz  I mean seriously?

No one is defending Fitzpatrick.

We are indicting the head coach, the defensive line, the secondary, the running back, and the ignorant fans who think our problems begin and end with a Band-Aid journeyman quarterback.

SAR I

10 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

absolutely correct.  While the sequence of going from the Favre year into the draft where Sanchez was selected was hardly a year where the Jets were tanking it for a better draft pick, it nonetheless is for me a cautionary tale when the notion of tanking is being pushed around here.  The reason is by trading up the Jets were trying to put themselves in the position they would be if they tanked, fifth pick in the first round.  And what did they do with that pick?

I am not saying the Jets cannot use a first round pick correctly.  But they have had their issues with them, and don't forget Gholston at 6.  Until proven otherwise there's nothing automatic with this team putting a high first round pick to good use.  And there's nothing automatic that says tanking will give you a great player.

Meanwhile, had Rex Ryan's defense played up to its billing Mark Sanchez would have started in two consecutive Super Bowl's for the New York Jets. 

But, nah, what a lousy draft pick.

SAR I

31 minutes ago, rillo said:

You're going to watch the BS unfold this Sunday, and like it.

No, more like we are going to have an undefeated month and be sitting at 5-5 and watch everybody believe we are the miracle playoff team we weren't last year.

Because it's not about the quarterback. It's about how our defense and rushing attack can only dominate average teams.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

Great post, and let's not forget how Pryor has played, meaning no real improvement we all reasonably expected from the first round pick, and Skrine and M Williams sucking.

Pryor played fine last year in THAT scheme.  The problem is that our HC is now playing him and others (Richardson at OLB for example) out of position.  Asking Pryor to cover is plain stupid and stubborn.  Bowles figured out how to rehab Pryor last year after Rex misused him the year before but now Bowles is pulling a Rex and playing defensive players out of position trying to fit square pegs into round holes.  Gesh I really hate Bowles.  I hope he learns from his mistakes.

Skrine is a slot CB, period.  Let his play that position like he did in 2015.  Williams, yeah he's mistake prone but let him play on the outside and try to learn on the fly rather that misusing someone else there.   

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Taking Sanchez isn't what killed them. Extending Sanchez led to missing on Wilson, which then led to Geno, which then led to Fitz, which then led to Hackenberg.

All bad picks hurt, and Gholston teasing the Jets with his potential surely did. Good guess he was always going to be the one who fell to #6 rather than McFadden. Imagine if, instead of feeling good about taking Gholson, the Jets used the #1 pick the following year that St Louis wanted (which we used as the main part of the Sanchez pick anyway) to move up for Ryan. Then we keep the players we traded for Sanchez, including another 2nd round pick also used in the Sanchez trade-up, keep the extra cap room (just Ryan $ instead of Sanchez $ + Gholston $) ... Jets suck. Keep in mind all we had at that time was an overpriced Pennington and Kellen Clemens. With a move-up for Ryan offered to us, the next person who brags about the great drafting prowess of Mangini should be forced to wear a Vernon Gholston mask for a decade. 

37 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Meanwhile, had Rex Ryan's defense played up to its billing Mark Sanchez would have started in two consecutive Super Bowl's for the New York Jets. 

But, nah, what a lousy draft pick.

SAR I

Here we disagree.  Sanchez has NEVER played up to his draft status.  Including those years.

26 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Taking Sanchez isn't what killed them. Extending Sanchez led to missing on Wilson, which then led to Geno, which then led to Fitz, which then led to Hackenberg.

All bad picks hurt, and Gholston teasing the Jets with his potential surely did. Good guess he was always going to be the one who fell to #6 rather than McFadden. Imagine if, instead of feeling good about taking Gholson, the Jets used the #1 pick the following year that St Louis wanted (which we used as the main part of the Sanchez pick anyway) to move up for Ryan. Then we keep the players we traded for Sanchez, including another 2nd round pick also used in the Sanchez trade-up, keep the extra cap room (just Ryan $ instead of Sanchez $ + Gholston $) ... Jets suck. Keep in mind all we had at that time was an overpriced Pennington and Kellen Clemens. With a move-up for Ryan offered to us, the next person who brags about the great drafting prowess of Mangini should be forced to wear a Vernon Gholston mask for a decade. 

They ta;lk about missing high qb picks killing a team and setting you back but missing on the gholston pick really hurt is for years imo.  Our defense for a number of years was one great passrushing olb away from being really really special.  We are still being hurt by the lack of a dominant pass rusher from the outside.

55 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

They ta;lk about missing high qb picks killing a team and setting you back but missing on the gholston pick really hurt is for years imo.  Our defense for a number of years was one great passrushing olb away from being really really special.  We are still being hurt by the lack of a dominant pass rusher from the outside.

I agree 110%

I AM SICK OF THIS DEFENSE!!! The QB problems and lack of this OLB beerfish speaks of in the above post have been almost-equal crutches for so damn long I wanna puke!! 

I watch the games on Sundays and I'm more pissed at the D than I am at the QB. This has been happening for years!!! 

13 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Here we disagree.  Sanchez has NEVER played up to his draft status.  Including those years.

Sanchez was drafted simply because we had no other option at quarterback. Brett Favre left, there were no good free agents, moving up to grab the best quarterback prospect made sense in our situation.  Moving up in the draft cost us nothing, and we had the most success we've seen since the 1960s with Mark leading the way. 

This is why things like draft position, salary, and all these non-field factors can muddy the waters and cloud the judgment.  For who we needed him to be, Mark Sanchez did very well. We didn't build a team to win in the air, we were supposed to win it on the ground and on defense. Mark wasn't supposed to play like Dan Marino, so when the defense and the running game sh*t the bed no one should've been surprised that Air Sanchez  didn't work.

Because the Jets are never lucky enough to be in the number one position when a franchise guy becomes available, we are always trying to win it on defense and the ground and the quarterback becomes a lesser piece of the puzzle, holds less responsibility as a result.

SAR I

11 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

I agree 110%

I AM SICK OF THIS DEFENSE!!! The QB problems and lack of this OLB speaks of in the above post have been almost-equal crutches for so damn long I wanna puke!! 

I watch the games on Sundays and I'm more pissed at the D than I am at the QB. This has been happening for years!!! 

There are a few key factors that an outside rusher does for you that an inside guy does not.

#1 Holding calls, if the outside guy beats his man it is far more incumbent for the refs to call a penalty on the oline because it is an obvious vuisual unlike the mash of players on the inside where holding can be ignored.

#2 If a team has a dominant olb pass rusher the other team has to deal with him via double teams with RB's and TES chipping and such.  This really reduces their ability for those guys to run patterns.  And what kills the jets?  TE and RB running short patterns. 

#3 Having more of an effect on the other teams play calls if they feel they have to roll away from that outside pass rusher.

Unless you are JJ Watt an outside guy is always more valuable than an inside guy if you ask me.

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sanchez was drafted simply because we had no other option at quarterback. Brett Favre left, there were no good free agents, moving up to grab the best quarterback prospect made sense in our situation.  Moving up in the draft cost us nothing, and we had the most success we've seen since the 1960s with Mark leading the way. 

This is why things like draft position, salary, and all these non-field factors can muddy the waters and cloud the judgment.  For who we needed him to be, Mark Sanchez did very well. We didn't build a team to win in the air, we were supposed to win it on the ground and on defense. Mark wasn't supposed to play like Dan Marino, so when the defense and the running game sh*t the bed no one should've been surprised that Air Sanchez  didn't work.

Because the Jets are never lucky enough to be in the number one position when a franchise guy becomes available, we are always trying to win it on defense and the ground and the quarterback becomes a lesser piece of the puzzle, holds less responsibility as a result.

SAR I

It was still a mistake, if ever there was a team that was suited to decent game manager type vet QB it was the early REx years.  Instead they went for quick franchise guy.

5 hours ago, JetBlue said:

He never said that Fitz would definitely start so I have no idea where you getting that from.  In fact he said, Fitz was the starter at that time because they never like to make changes until they have time to review the film and talk with his coaches.    There is nothing in that statement that said Fitz was definitely starting against the Ravens.  

That's what he said the next day.  Here's what he said right after the game.  Which was unusual in it's self because all he ever says is, "I'll watch the film"  For Bowles this was the "Holy grail"  lol

Ryan Fitzpatrick will start for Jets vs. Ravens; Todd Bowles says it's 'not all' his fault

Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on October 18, 2016 at 12:58 AM, updated October 18, 2016 at 5:08 AM

1share

GLENDALE, Ariz — Ryan Fitzpatrick's time as the Jets' starting quarterback isn't over just yet. 

After being yanked in the fourth quarter of Sunday's loss to the Cardinals, Fitzpatrick will be under center again when the 1-5 Jets take on the Ravens next week. There will be no quarterback change. Fitzpatrick is still No. 1 on the depth chart.  

"It's like a relief pitcher," head coach Todd Bowles said after the 28-3 defeat. "If the starting pitcher isn't doing it this game, this day, you put in the relief pitcher. Fitzpatrick will be back next week."

Fitzpatrick was (again) dreadful against Arizona Monday night. He completed 16 of 31 passes (51 percent) for 174 yards. He didn't toss a touchdown, and threw his fourth red zone interception of the season. The Jets managed 202 net yards in the 52 minutes and change Fitzpatrick played. 

Ads by ZINC

This season, Fitzpatrick has a completion percentage of 57 and has thrown just five touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He has not thrown a touchdown in the second half of a game this year. 

So why the heck aren't the Jets making a change?

"It definitely wasn't all Fitzpatrick's fault," Bowles said. "He barely had any time to throw. Anyone we put back there would have had a problem today. 

Grading Fitzpatrick's awful play vs. Arizona

Breaking down Ryan Fitzpatrick's play vs. the Cardinals on Monday Night Football.

"We're not scoring. We're not moving the ball. A whole bunch of things are going wrong from coaches to players. We're not making plays. We're not putting them in position to make plays. We go by the results. As coaches, we have to do a better job. As players, we have to do a better job."

Bowles may have a point. Geno Smith, who replaced Fitzpatrick, completed 4 of 6 passes for 31 yards on his only possession. He was sacked once and fumbled (which the Jets recovered), then threw an interception. 

Bowles said he turned to Smith to "get him some reps" since the game was already decided. The Jets pulled Fitzpatrick trailing Arizona 28-3  with a little over eight minutes left in regulation. 

The Jets are a dumpster fire

The Jets' season is going nowhere.

Bowles made it clear he didn't want his decision to stick with Fitzpatrick to be viewed as a shot at Smith. 

"There's no lack of confidence in Geno," Bowles said. "We have two quarterbacks that can play right now. Fitz is our starter. Like I said, anybody back there would have been under duress today. 

"Without the running game, and having problems with protection here and there, it's going to be a problem."

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

On 10/25/2016 at 2:51 PM, SAR I said:

You mean like that time our quarterback gave the defense a home lead against Cincinnati that they like blew at the two minute warning and then went into Buffalo and like won AFC Player Of The Week honors before the defense again like let the Chiefs and Seahawks and Steelers and Cardinals throw the ball all over the place for record amounts of long balls making the quarterback play like from behind in constant desperation mode gunslinging to try to win like a miracle?

Fantasy island, yup. Taking one's head out of the sand is the first step in recognizing what the real problems are. 

SAR I

Why do you insist on using the Bengals game as some sort of proof of Fitzpatricks effectiveness?  Not only did he suck in that game, but Cincinnati is a 3-4 team with their only other wins coming against the juggernaut Dolphins and winless Browns.

The Bengals suck.  They've been easily handled by every good team they've played.

By the grace of god Fitz caught a disinterested Bills team on a short week and had perhaps the last great game he'll ever have.

Yes he's a journeyman.  Yes he sucks.  Yes the D has underachieved and YES...  Fitzys awful play has cost this team wins.

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I agree with the first part. Obviously farve would have been a MUCH better option than Sanchez. But he left us for vikes, MVP caliber season that almost got them to the Super Bowl..

Sanchez was horrible as a rookie. If we had a decent backup we would have went with him. Clemens was a terrible #2 option. Sanchez didn't do too bad in 10, but after 10 he just got worse. The team wasn't as good as 09/10. They could no longer carry mark and needed him to step up without the training wheels and color coded wrist bands.. It was worth a shot but Sanchez was a failure.. He is on his 4th team in 3 years for a reason. He probably will be out of the league completely next yr along with geno and fitzgarbage..

22 minutes ago, Pac said:

Why do you insist on using the Bengals game as some sort of proof of Fitzpatricks effectiveness?  Not only did he suck in that game, but Cincinnati is a 3-4 team with their only other wins coming against the juggernaut Dolphins and winless Browns.

The Bengals suck.  They've been easily handled by every good team they've played.

By the grace of god Fitz caught a disinterested Bills team on a short week and had perhaps the last great game he'll ever have.

Yes he's a journeyman.  Yes he sucks.  Yes the D has underachieved and YES...  Fitzys awful play has cost this team wins.

Against a 12-4 division champion, Ryan Fitzpatrick efficiently led the Jets offense providing a late fourth quarter lead that the Jets defense summarily blew.  The Jets were home underdogs.  The Jets had a rotten preseason.  Fitzpatrick drove the Jets on a 78 yard opening drive for a TD.  His first 5 drives of the season led to 2 touchdowns, 1 field goal, 1 field goal missed, and only a single punt. 

In the second half, he drove us 73 yards and then 52 yards for field goals to give us the lead with 3 minutes left.  He had the kind of day that he had in November and December when we were on a 5-0 streak, the difference being lesser competition and a defense that didn't give up embarrassingly huge plays.

Those are the facts.  If you want to use the word "suck" about a single Jets player as a scapegoat for the Bengals game, see Revis, Darrelle.

SAR I

12 hours ago, flgreen said:

That's what he said the next day.  Here's what he said right after the game.  Which was unusual in it's self because all he ever says is, "I'll watch the film"  For Bowles this was the "Holy grail"  lol

Ryan Fitzpatrick will start for Jets vs. Ravens; Todd Bowles says it's 'not all' his fault

Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on October 18, 2016 at 12:58 AM, updated October 18, 2016 at 5:08 AM

1share

GLENDALE, Ariz — Ryan Fitzpatrick's time as the Jets' starting quarterback isn't over just yet. 

After being yanked in the fourth quarter of Sunday's loss to the Cardinals, Fitzpatrick will be under center again when the 1-5 Jets take on the Ravens next week. There will be no quarterback change. Fitzpatrick is still No. 1 on the depth chart.  

"It's like a relief pitcher," head coach Todd Bowles said after the 28-3 defeat. "If the starting pitcher isn't doing it this game, this day, you put in the relief pitcher. Fitzpatrick will be back next week."

Fitzpatrick was (again) dreadful against Arizona Monday night. He completed 16 of 31 passes (51 percent) for 174 yards. He didn't toss a touchdown, and threw his fourth red zone interception of the season. The Jets managed 202 net yards in the 52 minutes and change Fitzpatrick played. 

Ads by ZINC

This season, Fitzpatrick has a completion percentage of 57 and has thrown just five touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He has not thrown a touchdown in the second half of a game this year. 

So why the heck aren't the Jets making a change?

"It definitely wasn't all Fitzpatrick's fault," Bowles said. "He barely had any time to throw. Anyone we put back there would have had a problem today. 

Breaking down Ryan Fitzpatrick's play vs. the Cardinals on Monday Night Football.

"We're not scoring. We're not moving the ball. A whole bunch of things are going wrong from coaches to players. We're not making plays. We're not putting them in position to make plays. We go by the results. As coaches, we have to do a better job. As players, we have to do a better job."

Bowles may have a point. Geno Smith, who replaced Fitzpatrick, completed 4 of 6 passes for 31 yards on his only possession. He was sacked once and fumbled (which the Jets recovered), then threw an interception. 

Bowles said he turned to Smith to "get him some reps" since the game was already decided. The Jets pulled Fitzpatrick trailing Arizona 28-3  with a little over eight minutes left in regulation. 

The Jets' season is going nowhere.

Bowles made it clear he didn't want his decision to stick with Fitzpatrick to be viewed as a shot at Smith. 

"There's no lack of confidence in Geno," Bowles said. "We have two quarterbacks that can play right now. Fitz is our starter. Like I said, anybody back there would have been under duress today. 

"Without the running game, and having problems with protection here and there, it's going to be a problem."

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Connor_J_Hughes. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Yep.  Bowles didn't say "Let me look at the film."  He didn't say "I need to meet with my coaches."  He didn't say ANY of what he said after me talked with Woody.

Does this mean I KNOW the decision to start Smith was solely Woody's?  Not saying that. I don't know.  But the Woody defenders here (really???) don't know the converse, and as this report shows, it sure looked like Bowles was all in on starting Fitzpatrick in the Ravens game, until after he spoke with Woody.

Also again the issue is not whether Bowles should have sat Fitz.  It is not whether you agree with the decision to do so.

The issue here and it is a big deal is whether this is yet another example of Woody making football decisions when he knows less about football than your average poster here.

18 hours ago, SAR I said:

Mark Sanchez is the only playoff caliber quarterback we have had in the last 48 years. 

You may have said this before, you definitely should never say this again.

SAR I  

This statement is almost as funny as the sad fact that you actually believe this. You're right, it's all David Harris's fault.

Archived