Race for the # 1 Pick

Jetsfan80

59 minutes ago, BRONX DUDE said:

Must lose on Sunday.  It will be tough since Browns are  playing a first time ever QB vs the Jets.

This will be Browns 6th QB for the season..A win this week by Gang Green will seriously put the #1 pick in the draft in  doubt.

We need Fitz to throw a triple INT performance to lose.

I hope they're playing kevin hogan. I wanted us to draft him late. Want to see what he does

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex f*cked us by not losing the team in 2014 and winning the last few games of the year and taking us out of the Winston/Mariota race. I love Leo, but imagine the current Jets with Winston and Sheldon/Mo?

32 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

When have the patriots tanked? Yet they seem to make good picks like the Packers and steelers. Team likes Cleveland Titans and Rams have been drafting high for years and it hasn't taken them very far. Win baby win, you play to win

The Patriots have never been good at drafting.  Luckily for them they've had Brady for 16 years and cheat heavily.

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The Jets don't understand the draft so does it really matter. 

6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

For once we agree. 

Then you both should be hoping we tank even more in that case.  You minimize your risk of drafting a bust the earlier your selection is.  That's how the sh*tty Colts lucked into Elway, Peyton and Andrew Luck; by tanking at the right time.  Tanking at the right time would have potentially gotten us Matt Ryan instead of Vernon Gholston, if you need a Jet example. 

When you pick later, you run a greater risk of the Jets making an awful pick.  Like the Calvin Pryor selection when we could have had Derek Carr.  And possibly the Darron Lee pick. 

1 hour ago, Mecca said:

Rex f*cked us by not losing the team in 2014 and winning the last few games of the year and taking us out of the Winston/Mariota race. I love Leo, but imagine the current Jets with Winston and Sheldon/Mo?

Stop making me want to jump off a cliff.

I followed Winston from high school to FSU and Tampa has now become a team I watch just for him.  I would have actually traded a testicle for him to be our QB.  

I also love Leo. Already own his jersey.

3 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

How bad would the Harvard Interception machine like to have a TE like Mickey Shuler to throw to? That is what we are missing so desperately on offense. I think the op meant to refer to Kyle Brady, not Mickey Shuler.

do you think he would find him if he wasn't  fritz's 1st and only option?

8 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Shuler?  Should have went with Roger Vick of Mike Haight.

8 hours ago, New York Mick said:

What? 

8 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

+1 How could anyone criticize Mickey Shuler? Shuler was a heck of a player. I think the op meant to refer to Kyle Brady, not Mickey Shuler.

My bad..I meant Kyle Brady and with so many to choose from...   Blair Thomas gets honorable mention.  Loved Shuler.

We need that top pick. Either taking it or moving it for a mountain of picks. The Jets need an influx of young talent. If they take another defensive player I will gas up the airplane and fly a Fire Maccagnan banner. We need 2 maybe 3 offensive lineman and they need to figure out if they are ever going to feature a Te or just continue to run a bunch of bums out there that can't block and can't catch.

12 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Jets are not even going to be close to getting the number 1 pick.  The remainder of the schedule is actually quite easy other than the 2 NE games. 

I think it's a bit too early to overlook MIA and BUF as well.   Both those teams seem to be rounding into shape at least as rapidly as we are.  

22 minutes ago, faba said:

When are people going to realize that having high draft pick really means nothing unless you are both lucky and smart in drafting-

Quite the opposite, actually.  Extremely dumb teams have a great shot at blind squirreling into a good pick at the top.  The Colts are one of the worst organizations in the NFL, but they still drafted Elway, Peyton, and Luck.

Even if you're convinced that the Jets would f*ck up a top pick, it would be pretty nice to potentially trade it away for the bevy of picks much like the Titans and Browns got in last year's draft. 

If you're just going to throw up your hands and say the Jets will just screw up at the draft every year, then there's no reason for any hope in this game.  Teams don't win championships in free agency. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Quite the opposite, actually.  Extremely dumb teams have a great shot at blind squirreling into a good pick at the top.  The Colts are one of the worst organizations in the NFL, but they still drafted Elway, Peyton, and Luck.

Even if you're convinced that the Jets would f*ck up a top pick, it would be pretty nice to trade it away for the bevy of picks much like the Titans and Browns got in last year's draft. 

If you're just going to throw up your hands and say the Jets will just screw up at the draft every year, then there's no reason for any hope in this game.  Teams don't win championships in free agency. 

i said you have to be lucky= that is what happened for the colts

1 minute ago, faba said:

i said you have to be lucky= that is what happened for the colts

Right....they lucked into having the # 1 pick at the right time.  Much like I'm advocating for.  We have a much better chance of getting a franchise QB of our own, much like the Colts have, if we tank properly for once.  This mess of always picking in the 6-20 range is for the birds.  Maybe there's no Elway, Peyton or Luck prospect in this draft, but we at least need to give ourselves that chance every once in a while.  This would be as good a year as any to do so. 

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why not?  If we had 6 first rounders to work with in a 3-year period, or 5 first rounders and a bunch of 2nds and 3rds, don't you think that would do a lot to solve all of our problems?  Or do you not build through the draft?

Or we could, you know, use said top pick to get a franchise QB.  Something we haven't had since Namath or maybe Ken O'Brien. 

We've never "tanked properly", and it always works against us.  Always.  "Rooting to win" is a great thought, but it doesn't work.  Either you need to be a true contender or you need to tank.  7-9 doesn't ever cut it in either direction.  The NFL has become the NBA. 

I can see both sides. But it still comes down to talent evaluation.

Ken O'Brien was a solid, not spectacular QB for many years.  I thought he was always very underrated. He was picked 24th in the '83 draft.

That same draft Jim Kelly picked 14th.  Dan Marino 27th.

I know Elway was #1, but talent can be found everywhere.

You can't expect a team to start tanking games heading into week 7 against a beatable Baltimore team in their building. They're still trying to salvage the season. It's easy for fans to sit back and say they should just throw out a bunch of scrubs, bench Fitz, trade Sheldon and Marshall and give up and get a top pick but Bowles and Maac are trying to do a good job. A 2-14 season in year 2 doesn't look very good for them. They're going to try and win until it's clear as day from a wins and losses stand point that their season is over. Then they'll worry about next year.

Once again, I know everyone believes the Jets are done in 2016. But the guys who get paid by the Jets are not and should not operate that way yet. You wouldn't either.

9 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

I can see both sides. But it still comes down to talent evaluation.

Ken O'Brien was a solid, not spectacular QB for many years.  I thought he was always very underrated. He was picked 24th in the '83 draft.

That same draft Jim Kelly picked 14th.  Dan Marino 27th.

I know Elway was #1, but talent can be found everywhere.

Yet since 1983, despite drafting more QB's than just about anyone, we haven't found one.

Meanwhile, since the Colts took Elway # 1 in 1983, they got a HOF QB and then another elite QB at the # 1 spot. 

True, Aaron Rodgers was found at the back end of the 1st.  Brees was found in the 2nd, and Brady in the 6th.  But it's hard to argue that the overwhelming majority of top QB's come from the those top spots.  Cam Newton was a # 1 overall pick.  Matt Ryan was taken 3rd overall.  Eli Manning # 1 and Rivers # 4 in the same draft.  Carson Palmer # 1.  Donovan McNabb # 2.  And of course Peyton.  You maximize your chances of finding a franchise guy the earlier you pick.

And just as importantly, the top pick slots carry a lot of value.  So if you're not convinced the top QB's in that particular draft are true franchise guys, one of the other 31 teams will still want the pick, and pay handsomely.  Even if we think we're set with Petty and Hackenberg, having a top pick affords us a great opportunity to build up the rest of the roster with young talent by trading it away. 

53 minutes ago, faba said:

When are people going to realize that having high draft pick really means nothing unless you are both lucky and smart in drafting-

The difference between the 4th pick and 1st/2nd in 2015 draft was a franchise QB and a pro-bowl 3-4 DE when we already had a surplus. We lose that game to Miami and we have a franchise QB.

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why not?  If we had 6 first rounders to work with in a 3-year period, or 5 first rounders and a bunch of 2nds and 3rds, don't you think that would do a lot to solve all of our problems?  Or do you not build through the draft?

Or we could, you know, use said top pick to get a franchise QB.  Something we haven't had since Namath or maybe Ken O'Brien. 

We've never "tanked properly", and it always works against us.  Always.  "Rooting to win" is a great thought, but it doesn't work.  Either you need to be a true contender or you need to tank.  7-9 doesn't ever cut it in either direction.  The NFL has become the NBA. 

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet since 1983, despite drafting more QB's than just about anyone, we haven't found one.

Meanwhile, since the Colts took Elway # 1 in 1983, they got a HOF QB and then another elite QB at the # 1 spot. 

True, Aaron Rodgers was found at the back end of the 1st.  Brees was found in the 2nd, and Brady in the 6th.  But it's hard to argue that the overwhelming majority of top QB's come from the those top spots.  Cam Newton was a # 1 overall pick.  Matt Ryan was taken 3rd overall.  Eli Manning # 1 and Rivers # 4 in the same draft.  Carson Palmer # 1.  Donovan McNabb # 2.  And of course Peyton.  You maximize your chances of finding a franchise guy the earlier you pick.

And just as importantly, the top pick slots carry a lot of value.  So if you're not convinced the top QB's in that particular draft are true franchise guys, one of the other 31 teams will still want the pick, and pay handsomely.  Even if we think we're set with Petty and Hackenberg, having a top pick affords us a great opportunity to build up the rest of the roster with young talent by trading it away. 

Accumulating picks sounds like a great idea. But if you don't use them correctly It oes you no good. 

We had a thousand picks with Idzick, and by the time he was done, we were left with practically nothing to show for it.

10 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

Accumulating picks sounds like a great idea. But if you don't use them correctly It oes you no good. 

We had a thousand picks with Idzick, and by the time he was done, we were left with practically nothing to show for it.

Yes but you still have to do it when you can.  If we can never have confidence the Jets will ever draft well, then there's no point in hoping for anything better out of this franchise.  You have to build through the draft, and that's especially where you need to find a QB. 

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

My bad..I meant Kyle Brady and with so many to choose from...   Blair Thomas gets honorable mention.  Loved Shuler.

Isn't it amazing, we could not even get that right, we drafted the wrong Brady LOL.... Unreal.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes but you still have to do it when you can.  If we can never have confidence the Jets will ever draft well, then there's no point in hoping for anything better out of this franchise.  You have to build through the draft, and that's especially where you need to find a QB. 

I have confidence in Mac.  That's why I have to believe in his picks for Petty and Hack.

By the time the year is done, I expect we will have a much clearer view in the direction we need to go regarding the draft.  We will see Petty before the year is over. We can begin to evaluate his future.

And having invested a second rounder in Hack, well, they must really love his potential. I know it was only 1 drive, 1 stupid drive. But, that preseason game that he led them to a toudown.  Wow. I know I'm probably delusional, but there might be something there. I hope anyway.

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Where was Brady drafted?

lol I already addressed this.  You're not going to win this debate with anomalies.  A high enough % of top Qb's came from early in the 1st round to justify my argument. 

How many QB's taken in the 4th round or later have been superstars in this league since Brady?

Archived