Race for the # 1 Pick

Jetsfan80

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Not if they draft like Idzenbaum

Of course not.  But in no situation is a huge haul of draft picks a bad thing, especially since they already have invested in what they believe to be a franchise QB in Mariota.  This will give them ample opportunities to build around their QB. 

I get the cynicism regarding the value of draft picks among Jets fans.  I really do.  We've f*cked up so many times it's hard to every trust that picks are anything more than a roulette wheel that always goes against us.  But that doesn't take away from the value of picks themselves.  You have to simply hope they'll be used properly rather than just dismiss them as not important.  The latter is the worst way to approach the situation. 

The bottom line is that a 7-9 season gets us nowhere.  It's the worst possible result you can have in the NFL.  Either you want a shot at ending up the # 32 pick (or # 31 in years when the Pats forfeit their 1st rounder for cheating) or you want the # 1 pick.  Nearly everywhere in between basically sucks. 

17 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

The next Mickey Shuler , Vernon Gholsten awaits.  ?

If you think Mickey Shuler was a bad pick or in the same category as Vernon Gholsten, I have to ask how much of your brain was removed in that last surgery?

Well, the Jets are certainly not going to 'tank'. Teams in the NFL don't really tank anyway. Most contracts are not guaranteed and guys are playing for their next contract or their job. So, forget that.

As most have said already the schedule is pretty easy the rest of the way except for Pats 2x and the week 17 Bills game. 

The Jets are simply a better team than a lot of the other teams in the 'bottom 10'. Their record (much like the Panther's), doesn't indicate that. 

The Jets will not be picking in the top 5 and probably not even in the top 10.

If they are able to get to the bye with a 5-5 record. Beating Browns and Dolphins away, Rams at home.They have an outside chance to go 9-7 and actually get into the playoffs. If they go 5-5 going into the bye, they will most likely go 8-8, losing 3 of their last 6 games. I'm guessing in classic Jets fashion, they lose very close game at home vs the Pats, get blown out away vs the Pats and lose a heart-breaker at home vs the Bills in week 17, eliminating any playoff chance. 

I mean, this is how the rest of the season looks to me right now. A lot can happen. Fitz can get hurt and the Jets may have to rely on Hack or Petty (if Petty is healthy). That may lead to losses the rest of the way and a 2-14 record. Then you will have your wish and the Jets will definitely pick in the top 5, maybe even top 2.   

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Many super early mocks I've seen have us taking the safety from Michigan.  That'd be something.

Ha! Mocks at this point in the season are hilarious. 

I would not be surprised if the Jets went O-line, CB and TE in the first 3 rounds. That's just by looking at the positions of need and the players and their contracts at those positions.

13 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Well, the Jets are certainly not going to 'tank'. Teams in the NFL don't really tank anyway. Most contracts are not guaranteed and guys are playing for their next contract or their job. So, forget that.

lol.  Of course the players don't tank.  Field goal kickers don't miss kicks intentionally and players don't mess up to get losses.  Even in the NBA, where tanking is more of a thing than in any sport, it's up to the front office to initiate the tankjob, not the players themselves.  You do that in the NFL by playing a young/inexperienced QB and other young players across the roster.  They'll still try hard, like always, but the hope is that the results will be losses based on lesser talent/experience on the field. 

Another key component to tanking is assuring the coach that he'll be back and that the front office has full confidence in him even as the L's pile up.  Back when Rex Ryan was in his final year in NY, he was trying to win to bolster his resume for his next job.  Which is why we should have fired him in the middle of the season, not at the end. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  Of course the players don't tank.  Even in the NBA, where tanking is more of a thing than in any sport, it's up to the front office to initiate the tankjob, not the players themselves.  You do that in the NFL by playing a young/inexperienced QB and other young players across the roster.  They'll still try hard, like always, but the hope is that the results will be losses based on lesser talent/experience on the field. 

Yeah, I get that, but a coach will not play young/inexperienced players unless A. there is an injury (duh) B. the season is completely lost (mathematically out of playoffs- which right now, even the winless Browns are not) or C. the vet starter is playing god awful (in which case the young/inexperienced player may actually boost team morale or go out and wina game). 

So I get what you are saying, but the fact is, tanking is hard to do in the NFL even if you (and by you I mean the FO) tried, lol.  

58 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

If you think Mickey Shuler was a bad pick or in the same category as Vernon Gholsten, I have to ask how much of your brain was removed in that last surgery?

You clearly didn't read the 3 posts where about 10 posters called me out. And I apologized stating I meant Kyle Brady..... that's ok! You must have been online with me during surgery. Lots of Jets fans on that line lately. ?

17 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

This time last year that would have been said about this last class. I don't think wentz was in first round discussion this time last year.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Did he go in the first based on merit, or based on desperation?

Sure, he was awesome his first three games ... only one of which against a vaguely decent opponent (oddly enough, his best game). Since then things have got a bit tougher for him.

So I guess it depends on whether you want to draft a QB, or flip the pick for as much as you can get to someone else who's desperate for a QB.

7 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Sure, he was awesome his first three games ... only one of which against a vaguely decent opponent (oddly enough, his best game). Since then things have got a bit tougher for him.

So I guess it depends on whether you want to draft a QB, or flip the pick for as much as you can get to someone else who's desperate for a QB.

QB's are always over-drafted

the point is you can't say in October what prospects will be viable in April and which ones will work out

there is no andrew luck this year, but has he even really panned out ?

sometimes the experts are wrong

The eagles had just signed Bradford and their backup to big contracts so in their mind I wouldn't say he went out of necessity they honestly believed in this kid or maybe they were just stupid and lucky because the rams had the ability to take wentz in front of them.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Quite the opposite, actually.  Extremely dumb teams have a great shot at blind squirreling into a good pick at the top.  The Colts are one of the worst organizations in the NFL, but they still drafted Elway, Peyton, and Luck.

Even if you're convinced that the Jets would f*ck up a top pick, it would be pretty nice to potentially trade it away for the bevy of picks much like the Titans and Browns got in last year's draft. 

If you're just going to throw up your hands and say the Jets will just screw up at the draft every year, then there's no reason for any hope in this game.  Teams don't win championships in free agency. 

You're also forgetting Jeff George. Didn't work out, of course, but he was supposed to be another sure thing with an arm supposedly forged by Zeus himself. 

There are other times it didn't work out for them, and Elway didn't exactly work out for them either. But that was because he didn't want to be on the Colts, not because they drafted a bust.

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There are other times it didn't work out for them, and Elway didn't exactly work out for them either. But that was because he didn't want to be on the Colts, not because they drafted a bust.

Of course, but at least they were in POSITION to draft 3 all-time great QB prospects.  The fact that they're a sh*tty organization who couldn't KEEP Elway actually furthers my point:  Even the dumbest organizations in football, when they tank, can blind squirrel their way into a franchise QB.  Meanwhile you have fans here arguing that because the Jets are sh*tty, this could never happen for us.  The Colts have proven otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What draft slot are we supposedly using for another safety?

Jabril Peppers is another worldly talent whom I'd love in Green&White. However, we need a franchise QB. Kaaya, Watson, Kizer. One needs to rise from the crop.

Just curious, if we do blow the rest of the season down the sh*tter, how do we NOT take a QB?  Fitz is gone after this season.  Geno is toast. 

We are going to go into camp with a Brian Hoyer type?!  Chances are if Petty hasn't turned into anything close to being a decent backup, then hes gone.

And my guess it's 50/50 Hackenburg ever overcomes his throwing yips.... We NEED a competant young QB!

28 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Just curious, if we do blow the rest of the season down the sh*tter, how do we NOT take a QB?  Fitz is gone after this season.  Geno is toast. 

We are going to go into camp with a Brian Hoyer type?!  Chances are if Petty hasn't turned into anything close to being a decent backup, then hes gone.

And my guess it's 50/50 Hackenburg ever overcomes his throwing yips.... We NEED a competant young QB!

Kaaya, Watson, Kizer aren't Mariota/Winston. Although I like all 3 quite a bit.

Archived