Hackenberg, Petty Split First-Team Reps

JetNation

Christian Hackenberg JN

By Glenn Naughton

Earlier this week as a guest on the Micheal Kay show, Jets head coach Todd Bowles told hosts Michael Kay and Don LaGreca that the team had not yet decided on who Gang Green’s back-up quarterback would be for their Sunday showdown against the Cleveland Browns, Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg.

The hosts wondered aloud if Bowles mentioning of Hackenberg, he of the media-imposed red shirt season, was simply “coach speak”, or a real possibility.

Well, it seems we now have our answer.

While fielding questions from the media during his press conference earlier today, Bowles told reporters that both Petty and Hackenberg both got reps with the first-team offense.

Should Hackenberg get the nod, it means one of two things, 1) Hackenberg has developed at the speed of light after a pre-season in which he was very underwhelming ,or 2) Bryce Petty’s stock has plummeted in the eyes of the decision-makers at 1 Jets Drive.

Bowles said the team will announce Ryan Fitzpatrick’s back-up later in the week.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

6Rrk4Zf0Zpk

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petty is too injured to play!

Hackenberg can't see the field until next year at the earliest!

Seriously, though, this is hardly news. What is the alternative? Fitz gets 100% of the 1st team reps and, despite never having taken a snap against a live, starting, NFL defense, neither of the week's #2 QB candidates get any? Not exactly a big deal. The big deal would be if neither did and we brought in someone else to be the backup this week.

2 minutes ago, jetfan61 said:

Or Petty's shoulder is not 100%...

This. I harken back to Bowles cryptic quote the week of the ARZ game about not being able to disclose why we kept 4 Qb's. I wonder if Petty was seriously injured but the Jets didn't want to place him or IR and they didn't want to disclose the severity of the injury.

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Except JiF.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

First thing I noticed when I was downloading pics from TC.  My Hackenberg folder has almost 25,000 pictures.

Nice smile too.  He's a good looking kid.  Looks get you places in this world.  For example, like a considered undraftable talent getting drafted in the 2nd round. 

13 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This is so not funny it's gone past funny and back to not funny again. I hate this team and everyone associated with it with the fire of a thousand burning suns.

I'm sure the love and affection is reciprocated accordingly. 

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Looks get you places in this world.  For example, like a considered undraftable talent getting drafted in the 2nd round. 

You're not the ONLY ONE who fell for Browning Nagle's almond eyes . . . .:lol:

21 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Petty is hurt I think. Also from comments Chan made earlier in the year, it seems like he hasn't progressed the way they hoped. Plus Mac has a hard on for Hackenberg, might be the eyes.

My guess is its the info from his boy Bill O'Brien.

I wouldnt expect Hack to play well at all, but it is the Cleveland Browns

Archived