Hackenberg, Petty Split First-Team Reps

JetNation

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Colgateman said:

Is it weird the first thing I noticed about Hackenberg was how handsome he is? Look at that jaw line, I tend to notice the same thing about Odell beckham jr too. pretty strange

not that there's anything wrong with that....

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

Petty was throwing almost a month ago and declared 100% by Bowles 2 weeks ago.  Why take the time to play mind games with a 3rd string QB?

Maybe getting someone injured last week made them cautious and they plan to dress 3?

12 hours ago, Shadetree said:

I don't want to see hack.

he suuucks. I doubt very much his accuracy is improved enough. That Pro Day was laughable. 

how does a 2 year project become a 1/2 year project!? I'm not buying. Give me petty. I saw enough of him to want to see more.

we are complaining about Hacks inaccuracy.  We have one of the most inaccurate QBs in football.  At least Hack can be inaccurate downfield.

i think it's a few things:

1) with geno out, both of these guys need to be ready, there's 9 games left.

2) as more and more qbs like prescott succeed right away, there is increasing pressure on the jets to play these guys.

3) they are only a few losses away from going from "competitive rebuild" to "rebuild" and mccags knows he has to see these guys in real game action, even if they're not 'ready', if only to see how they handle the moment.

4) it tells fitz that even though geno is out, he's still on a relatively short leash and can't think he has a free pass b/c there is no experienced backup.

12 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I think they simply want petty to feel like he earned it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Fair point, while I have some criticisms with Bowles relying too much on the vets he has shown a propensity to do exactly what you said with the younger players; "Make them earn it"  I also think they realize they can't wait 3 years for Hack and need to get him some serious reps in preparation to compete for the starting job next year.

4 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Fair point, while I have some criticisms with Bowles relying too much on the vets he has shown a propensity to do exactly what you said with the younger players; "Make them earn it"  I also think they realize they can't wait 3 years for Hack and need to get him some serious reps in preparation to compete for the starting job next year.

I am still hopeful that hack will be much further along than any of us expect he will be next season. Petty looked significantly better this year than he did his rookie season and I don't think many expected it from him either so hopefully hack will be alright.

21 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Best news I've heard all season. 

Absolutely, me too...I still refuse to discount either player based upon media hearsay and garbage August games. I want to see them play in real games, after real preparation, for a nice duration of time before we simply discard them and say they cannot play. This season is a perfect time to do this as we are all but out of any realistic playoff chance.

Not sure why so much disregard and kind of hate for Hack. 

He looked pretty good in pre-season. he just got so little time to actually play. What, he played 2 quarters in ALL of pre-season? Something like that.

I liked a lot of what I saw. 

1. He actually went through his progressions. Geno has yet to learn how to do that and Fitz refuses to do that.

2. He did not look 'shell-shocked' after the beating he took at Penn State. He stood in the pocket under pressure and delivered the ball with confidence.   

3. He can 'make all the throws'. I saw him loft a pretty fade for a TD to Anderson. He threw some bombs deep. He threw some lasers down the field. 

4. He is able to recognize defensive sets, take hold of the offense and call audibles. You don't always see that from a 'project' QB. Everything I've heard about him is that he is a quick learner, hard worker and has a high football IQ.

5. He has the size, arm strength (unlike Fitz) and enough mobility/athleticism to be a prototypical NFL QB. I.E. the measurables are there.

Now, there was quite a bit of bad with the good. He's not quite used to the speed in the NFL. He got fooled by a lineman dropping into coverage and threw an INT. He is terribly inconsistent with his accuracy. His accuracy tends to be even worse on short passes. His footwork needs work. He can read defenses, but still needs work to read NFL defenses properly. 

But I think my point is that this kid really has the potential to be a great QB and definitely has potential to be the Jets starting QB next season. And there's no reason to think he can't come in right now as a backup and do a solid job. At least just as good as Geno or Petty. So lay off him. He is a Jet whether you like it or not. Just give the kid a chance.    

5 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

If Hack throws 9 interceptions over 7 games he'll still be ahead of Fitz.

That actually wouldn't be terrible numbers out of a rookie, provided we aren't playing ultra-conservative.  Peyton Manning threw 28 picks in 16 games his rookie year.  Granted, the game was very different in 1998 than it is now, but you do expect most rookies to average about a pick a game (or a more) even if they're stellar. 

^

Hackenberg's weaknesses seem to mostly center around two things - inconsistent accuracy, and questionable footwork.  Can't say for certain obviously but I wonder if they're related.  back when Gruden did his camp with Hackenberg they talked at length about how the Penn State CS made him change his approach to his stance after O'Brien left.  Gruden was clearly critical of that.  It may be that Hack is still not set on his footwork, and in trying to find a consistent and comfortable set, planting his feet, it's easy to understand how that might be affecting his throws.

Reading defenses is partly a question of intelligence, but as much if not more so of working at it.  I have no reason to think Hackenberg will not improve on that.

5 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

If Hack throws 9 interceptions over 7 games he'll still be ahead of Fitz.

True.  It is confusing. I keep reading that some of Hack's major shortcomings, aside from pure inaccuracy, is the he locks on to receivers and does not find secondaries.  That is rookie stuff.  I realize they do not want to destroy the young guys' confidence by tossing them in, but they cannot be worried about the mistakes and the missed opportunities.  It must be totally about preserving the young guys' sanity and not fear of performance.

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

^

Hackenberg's weaknesses seem to mostly center around two things - inconsistent accuracy, and questionable footwork.  Can't say for certain obviously but I wonder if they're related.  back when Gruden did his camp with Hackenberg they talked at length about how the Penn State CS made him change his approach to his stance after O'Brien left.  Gruden was clearly critical of that.  It may be that Hack is still not set on his footwork, and in trying to find a consistent and comfortable set, planting his feet, it's easy to understand how that might be affecting his throws.

Reading defenses is partly a question of intelligence, but as much if not more so of working at it.  I have no reason to think Hackenberg will not improve on that.

The footwork, or lack of it, makes him inaccurate, I think.  It is not like Fitz, who just has a rag arm and awful timing.  I am not sure Fitz ability, if he has it, to read a defense helps him at all.  He is always throwing to his first option, which is marshall most of the time

21 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

The question is why?  Is Petty still hurt?  Is Hack improving enough to pass him on the depth chart?  or do they both just suck?

Because Hack actually has the tools to be an NFL qb and Pettys chances are a  jetnation fan creation, ala Brett Ratliff

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That actually wouldn't be terrible numbers out of a rookie, provided we aren't playing ultra-conservative.  Peyton Manning threw 28 picks in 16 games his rookie year.  Granted, the game was very different in 1998 than it is now, but you do expect most rookies to average about a pick a game (or a more) even if they're stellar. 

Hack starts 12/5 against the Colts and for the rest of the year.  8 TDs \ 5 INTs for his rookie year. You heard it here first.

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And, if the guy can generate 3 TDS a game you overlook that pick.  It is when you have a 1 TD a game QB that that pick kills you

25 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

so we went from 'hackenberg will not play this season' to him taking first team reps week 8.  and petty is practicing.  this regime has sure been cryptic about the qbs since they arrived.

They were cryptic or maybe they didn't foresee Fitz being awful and Geno tearing his ACL. But if you rather be a conspiracy theorist then sure, they were being "cryptic." 

Petty is a QB from a small school who produced very well in college.  He is big, strong ACCURATE arm and a bit of a gun-slinger.  Comparisons to Farve.  He also has been in this offense for a year and a half.  Two training camps.

Hack is a QB from a big program who had a pretty good freshman year and not good the rest of his college career.  Reasons, yes, but still, not good.  He is a big strong kid, but is known for being inaccurate, which he displayed in the preseason.  And he is a rookie.

So....  of course the Jets will turn to Hack as the backup.  Book it.

20 hours ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

Kenny O'Brien was pretty good for 10 years - granted, he wasn't Dan Marino, but who's bitter about that?

Kenny had 2 good years IMO 1985-86 when he went 25 tds and 8 picks and 25-20..In his career he had 128 tds and 98 picks..Fitz sucks and he's at 173 tds and 127 picks..That includes all his picks this season plus his rushing td's. I couldn't add any rushing td's for Kenny because he never had one..:)

4 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Kenny had 2 good years IMO 1985-86 when he went 25 tds and 8 picks and 25-20..In his career he had 128 tds and 98 picks..Fitz sucks and he's at 173 tds and 127 picks..That includes all his picks this season plus his rushing td's. I couldn't add any rushing td's for Kenny because he never had one..:)

more like a year and a half, he was terrible the 2nd half of 1986 and was nothing more than mediocre the rest of his career.  He should be very thankful he didn't play in the social media/message board era or he would never have stayed with us as long as he did.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Didn't they say they haven't even attempted to fix Hack's mechanics and were going to wait until the offseason to do so?

If that's the case (which is disgusting if it is) then they should NOT send him out there to further engrain these bad habits.

If that's the concern then why have him even taking snaps in practice? There's more muscle-memory repetition there than in a game. He's been throwing this way literally for years. A handful of additional games to close out a season - on top of practices he's already participating in - isn't likely to make a difference. 

In other words, from a development standpoint, he's not a clean slate to begin with.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

If that's the concern then why have him even taking snaps in practice? There's more muscle-memory repetition there than in a game. He's been throwing this way literally for years. A handful of additional games to close out a season - on top of practices he's already participating in - isn't likely to make a difference. 

I guess I'm just more frustrated or dumbfounded by the fact that they decided to wait until the off-season to fix his mechanics.  Makes zero sense to me.  I'm sure there's some logic behind it, but I just don't know what it is...

With that said, as you stated I wouldn't have him taking reps at all if this is actually the case.  If they can't work with him to fix his flaws then he shouldn't be practicing.  

41 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In other words, from a development standpoint, he's not a clean slate to begin with.

I think Hackenberg's mechanics issues have more to do with his footwork than his throwing . but either way if something's wrong it should be addressed now not in the offseason.

@FidelioJet where did you hear they were not dealing with his mechanics because that makes no sense to me at all. More proof this coaching staff is as about as dumb as it gets if this is true

Archived