Hackenberg, Petty Split First-Team Reps

JetNation

10 hours ago, jack48 said:

we are complaining about Hacks inaccuracy.  We have one of the most inaccurate QBs in football.  At least Hack can be inaccurate downfield.

So whats your argument, who's better at being inaccurate? I don't want any inaccuracy from my QB! 

QBs who are inaccurate suck, Fitz, Geno, and Hack included. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I think Hackenberg's mechanics issues have more to do with his footwork than his throwing . but either way if something's wrong it should be addressed now not in the offseason.

@FidelioJet where did you hear they were not dealing with his mechanics because that makes no sense to me at all. More proof this coaching staff is as about as dumb as it gets if this is true

Here's an article on it....I find it hard to believe it's true, but here it is...

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62440/jets-coach-on-christian-hackenberg-cant-change-golfers-swing-in-season Here's an article on it....

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Here's an article on it....I find it hard to believe it's true, but here it is...

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62440/jets-coach-on-christian-hackenberg-cant-change-golfers-swing-in-season Here's an article on it....

LOL that is hilarious ...of course you don't want to change something mid season if the guy is actually starting but he's not starting and he's basically getting more practice reps than anything else so this is beyond dumb. Since the Jets coaches cant work with him in the offseason who exactly is going to fix these Issues ? I know if I'm a coach I'm going to want to be the guy coaching up the rookie not someone else.

1 hour ago, Shadetree said:

So whats your argument, who's better at being inaccurate? I don't want any inaccuracy from my QB! 

And you know Hack will be inaccurate when he hits the NFL field how?  And that he sucks today? 

I think a lot of people are confused about what Hacks accuracy issues exactly are. It's not a throwing motion issue, it's a footwork issue. Think of Hack like you think of Vinny T. Hack plays QB like his feet are in quicksand. Like Vinny T, if you ask him to move his feet a lot, he will turn incredibly inaccurate. This is why Vinny T struggled in the west coast offense. So, yes he has some footwork to work on this offseason - but his throwing motion is a typical type A #1 overall draft pick throwing motion. If protected, and not asked to move a lot, he can play right now and be very good. Of course, his decision making will be that of a rookie as well at this point.

39 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I think a lot of people are confused about what Hacks accuracy issues exactly are. It's not a throwing motion issue, it's a footwork issue. Think of Hack like you think of Vinny T. Hack plays QB like his feet are in quicksand. Like Vinny T, if you ask him to move his feet a lot, he will turn incredibly inaccurate. This is why Vinny T struggled in the west coast offense. So, yes he has some footwork to work on this offseason - but his throwing motion is a typical type A #1 overall draft pick throwing motion. If protected, and not asked to move a lot, he can play right now and be very good. Of course, his decision making will be that of a rookie as well at this point.

Exactly...on infinite levels. "Dead-on balls accurate."

3 hours ago, RSJ said:

then tell gailey before its too late, lol

23 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Hack needs an offseason to hone his throwing motion and accuracy.  If Petty is healthy he'll be the #2.

Thank you... some of these posts are ridiculous. Petty outplayed every QB on this team during PS and got better with each start.  

The only way he will not be a BO is if his injury is more serious then we thought...but how do you explain that he was 100% two weeks ago!

With Petty right now, people are acting like...he's PRACTICING ...he's 100%!  Really?  Perhaps, but who knows?

The guy probably had an AC separation, or shoulder separation...thank God with no rotator cuff injury.  He was out for 6 weeks, not appreciably throwing.

Just because he's back at practice, doesn't mean he's at 100%...especially with regard to his strength in the shoulder.  Could he play?  Probably.

Maybe at his stage of healing, and maybe Hack has made progress to the point that the Jets just want to evaluate them both.  Maybe the Jets just want to get Hack reps with the #1's and not kill his confidence telling him he has no shot at being backup.  Maybe they want to stick it to Petty a bit to remind him Hack is on is tail.  Who knows?

But the 'literal' either 'black or white' reading and dissecting EVERY freaking word or observation or reporter's tweet regarding the Jets QB situation is quite laughable.  Both of these two will be here next year, and a competition between them is nothing but healthy.  It will play itself out.

The only way to fix something mechanic like footwork, etc is for serious and long repetition. Meticulous concentration and it'll be very time consuming. If you do that during the season he's gonna miss everything else he has to do, meetings, film, studying our playbook, opposing defenses, weight room, running scout team drills, practice, etc.  

Off season he'll have that extea time to do so. He's not the only one. There have been veterans that have made adjustments to their throwing motion or footwork and done so during the off season.

14 hours ago, Shadetree said:

The argument is we might as well find out what we have.

12 hours ago, RSJ said:

I agree with you, but Hack is actually pretty accurate on roll outs. Where he really struggles with his feet is in the shotgun, where his feet become incredibly lazy.

15 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I think Hackenberg's mechanics issues have more to do with his footwork than his throwing . but either way if something's wrong it should be addressed now not in the offseason.

@FidelioJet where did you hear they were not dealing with his mechanics because that makes no sense to me at all. More proof this coaching staff is as about as dumb as it gets if this is true

I heard they were going to wait until after preseason since they wanted to get him some game experience with a clear head. You don't want to play until you've gotten enough reps to build some memory.

I never heard that the would wait until offseason. I mean Hack's season ended after the Eagles game. 

17 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I read the same thing.  Somewhere.  A quote from Gailey that had m scratching my head.  So what exactly is the guy doing here this season?

8 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I read the same thing.  Somewhere.  A quote from Gailey that had m scratching my head.  So what exactly is the guy doing here this season?

Video, game plans, how to read a NFL defense.   Ring part of the process.  All the mental aspects of the game that he can learn as part of a,group and hone on his own time. 

As opposed to taking a coach away from others to work with him nonstop for no apparent reason or gain since he can do it the off season like every other QB has.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Video, game plans, how to read a NFL defense.  All the mental aspects of the game that he can learn as part of a,group and hone on his own time. 

As opposed to taking a coach away from others to work with him nonstop for no apparent reason or gain since he can do it the off season like every other QB has.

i do not see why a coach would have to work with him non stop.  There are a certain number of setups.  Hackenberg is not stupid.  Some of it he could monitor himself.  The explanation from Gailey just sounds cheesy to me.

34 minutes ago, jack48 said:

i do not see why a coach would have to work with him non stop.  There are a certain number of setups.  Hackenberg is not stupid.  Some of it he could monitor himself.  The explanation from Gailey just sounds cheesy to me.

Really?  I would think someone has to sit with you correcting every throw that's off.  Every step.  It's time consuming and pointless during the season when that coachs time could be better spent working with two or three QBs on video break downs, game plans, progressions, etc

Bryce Petty - QB - Jets

Both Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg received backup reps this week in practice.

Petty and Hackenberg are competing for the backup job with Geno Smith (knee) on injured reserve. Petty should eventually win the competition, but the fact he even has to compete with someone as woefully unprepared as Hackenberg says something about how the Jets view him. Ryan Fitzpatrick should remain the starter for as long as the Jets are mathematically eligible for the playoffs.

I fear this is true

41 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Really?  I would think someone has to sit with you correcting every throw that's off.  Every step.  It's time consuming and pointless during the season when that coachs time could be better spent working with two or three QBs on video break downs, game plans, progressions, etc

I think you tell him what he has to do, assume he is intelligent enough to know if he is doing it wrong, and put the onus on him to correct it.  You come back next day and observe.  Point out discrepancies.  So on and so forth as the season goes on. But you do not sit with him for hours on end.  He is not a dope.

48 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I fear this is true

Or he's just not healthy, so by default they have to prepare Hack for #2 role, and it's got nothing to do with competition and everything to do with availability. Rotoworld's synapsis writers have historically spun everything as anti-Jets as possible, FTR.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Or he's just not healthy, so by default they have to prepare Hack for #2 role, and it's got nothing to do with competition and everything to do with availability. Rotoworld's synapsis writers have historically spun everything as anti-Jets as possible, FTR.

rotoworld absolutely trashes hack brutally.  that said, i am still surprised they haven't named a backup.  i mean, shouldn't that player get the reps, shouldn't bowles know?  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

rotoworld absolutely trashes hack brutally.  that said, i am still surprised they haven't named a backup.  i mean, shouldn't that player get the reps, shouldn't bowles know?  

Should he? Perhaps. Does he? He might. Is he going to feed it to the press? No. We've learned Bowles doesn't do that. Last year when he was winning, it was a good thing. It still is.

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Should he? Perhaps. Does he? He might. Is he going to feed it to the press? No. We've learned Bowles doesn't do that. Last year when he was winning, it was a good thing. It still is.

bowles had no issue naming geno the backup qb all through training camp.  now there's a competition.  and they keep saying they don't want hack to play this year.  something doesn't add up.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I fear this is true

Fear what?  That the team might see it's 2nd round pick highly-regarded QB as a better long-term prospect than it's 4th round pick moderately-regarded QB?

Of course they have to compete, if the DIDN'T compete we'd have a real problem (the old "hand a guy a job unearned" problem).

I WANT them to compete, and the best guy wins the job plays.  

I don't care what people "think" of them, only how they perform and that the job they're in is earned, not given.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Fear what?  That the team might see it's 2nd round pick highly-regarded QB as a better long-term prospect than it's 4th round pick moderately-regarded QB?

Of course they have to compete, if the DIDN'T compete we'd have a real problem (the old "hand a guy a job unearned" problem).

I WANT them to compete, and the best guy wins the job plays.  

I don't care what people "think" of them, only how they perform and that the job they're in is earned, not given.

the starting qb job was not a competition, it was based on last year's performance.  clearly fitz was rusty in the preseason but it didn't matter, and it carried into the regular season.  i'm not geno fan but he couldn't have done worse.  now all of a sudden there's a huge competition for the backup job.  

Archived