Devin Smith & Breno Giacomini

Jetlife33

Head coach Todd Bowles told reporters that WR Devin Smith and OT Breno Giacomini could be activated off the PUP list and play this week. 

I'd imagine that Breno would take over the starters role at RT, not much of an upgrade at all. But Devin Smith would most likely take the roster spot of Jeremy Butler. I'm still really high on Smith even though he had a rough first go. I was actually at the game vs the Titans where he got hurt. If he comes back and lives up to potential it makes us more dangerous on offense, and we need all the help we can get. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Devin Smith being activated gives me another reason to watch, outside of hoping to see Anderson and Peake make a few plays.  Assuming of course Gailey can design some plays that allow Fitz to get the ball to these guys.  He has got to call a couple deep bombs and pray Fitz doesn't get intercepted... who knows, maybe he might connect on one.

9 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Nice, another deep threat for our QB that's can't use them

Smith's trademark is definitely the deep ball, but I would hope his route running has improved somewhat and can help in the intermediate pass game as well. If I'm wrong about him, it kinda sucks wasting a 2nd round pick on a guy who can only run the deep route.

The only way I could extract any pleasure out of watching the 2016 Jets is to see some young guys play and hopefully develop.  Bring back Devin Smith-teach him how to fight for the ball, play Petty, play Hack, play Mauldin, Burris etc, etc. I'm fine losing by 59 points every week - real game reps are invaluable in this era of limited TC and OTA reps. 

38 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

He has got to call a couple deep bombs and pray Fitz doesn't get intercepted... who knows, maybe he might connect on one.

:bwahaharoll:

I appreciate the optimism, but "Fitz", "deep", "bomb" and "connect" are pretty darn funny together.

27 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Cab they activate Smith and Breno if the PUP list?. I thought they can only activate 1 player off the short term IR/PUP.

PUP is different from short term IR.  They can activate anyone on PUP as soon as their time is up.  You are right about only one from short term IR.

32 minutes ago, Barton said:

No sense in actually playing Giacomini.

Our RT's haven't been that good at all so far this season, might not hurt to try? But I agree, Breno is toast. He's actually a nice guy I met him at camp 2 years ago, but his play has been sub-par. 

That's interesting.  Have they either of them been reported as practicing?  I hadn't heard anything about, and they're technically eligible to begin practice prior to being activated from the PUP.  I have to imagine if they're really being considered to play this week they would have already gotten back involved in practices when they first became eligible last week?  Interesting and despite some feelings on either player, struggles of the OL and injuries at WR certainly make them both worthwhile options to return.

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Cab they activate Smith and Breno if the PUP list?. I thought they can only activate 1 player off the short term IR/PUP.

Yeah they can! I actually think the Jets have to activate both within 3 weeks of when they're first eligible to come off, if not then they can't be activated and will miss the remainder of the year as well. 

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

That's interesting.  Have they either of them been reported as practicing?  I hadn't heard anything about, and they're technically eligible to begin practice prior to being activated from the PUP.  I have to imagine if they're really being considered to play this week they would have already gotten back involved in practices when they first became eligible last week?  Interesting and despite some feelings on either player, struggles of the OL and injuries at WR certainly make them both worthwhile options to return.

I can't find anything on breno but Devin smith has returned to practice. 

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Devin Smith being activated gives me another reason to watch, outside of hoping to see Anderson and Peake make a few plays.  Assuming of course Gailey can design some plays that allow Fitz to get the ball to these guys.  He has got to call a couple deep bombs and pray Fitz doesn't get intercepted... who knows, maybe he might connect on one.

Gailey can design some plays to get the ball deep right after mac designs a trade to get us a qb that can throw it there lol

6 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Breno is aweful, the other two have played fine without him. Devon Smith, well if he plays any thing like last year, he's not coming back. Im not high on this kid at all, he looks to have stone hands, and fumbles, both of them meh.

Way too early to give up on Smith. 

8 hours ago, Barton said:

No sense in actually playing Giacomini.

More like, there was no sense in PUPing him in the first place (and in doing so, guarantee his salary for the season). 

Now that they did, it makes perfect sense: to justify the airheaded move to keep him in the first place. 

$5M for 8 starts if he comes off PUP this week & starts next week. :bag: What a maroon. 

10 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Smith's trademark is definitely the deep ball, but I would hope his route running has improved somewhat and can help in the intermediate pass game as well. If I'm wrong about him, it kinda sucks wasting a 2nd round pick on a guy who can only run the deep route.

Given Smith was out with an ACL, I doubt his route running will have improved at all. If anything it will have regressed.

Best I think we can hope for is for him to stay healthy this year, contribute if he can, and make it to the off season next year in one piece.

I think Smith's route running is a bit understated. He was getting open last year pretty frequently. I can remember at least 4 times Fitz wildly missed him. But it's hard to be productive as a rookie when Decker and Marshall are getting 80% of the targets. He still needs to improve his route running, and I doubt he has, due to the injury. Was hoping he'd put on some weight this offseason too, but that obviously hasn't happened either due to injury.

During this next offseason, him and Anderson need to hit the gym.

8 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Breno is aweful, the other two have played fine without him. Devon Smith, well if he plays any thing like last year, he's not coming back. Im not high on this kid at all, he looks to have stone hands, and fumbles, both of them meh.

Wow, in that short sample size, as a rookie who missed part of training camp and all of preseason, you come to that conclusion?   Boy I hope the coaches are more broad minded than that.  Devin Smith before the punctured lung, was looking awesome, in fact on that injury he made a spectacular catch.    Why not give him a chance to get acclimated?  I recall he was starting to play better before the injury.  Sometimes sh*t happens; you don't give up on talent like that so quickly.   I personally am looking forward to seeing him but not expecting any miracles since this is his first game action in almost a year.   To me what I am really looking forward to is seeing what he looks like playing with Petty or Hackenberg down the road or next season. Quarterbacks with the arm strength to go deep at any time which is obviously where Smith excels.  The key will be see if he has improved his route running ability because if so, he can be another weapon for Fitz. 

13 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Or heaven forbid we get a PI flag, of course, we all watch the NFL and we know that never happens on long passes, right?

12 hours ago, Mike135 said:

:bwahaharoll:

I appreciate the optimism, but "Fitz", "deep", "bomb" and "connect" are pretty darn funny together.

Ha, ha, ha, I get it Fitz can't throw deep.... consistently.  But if he has a enough time to step into his passes he can get the ball down the field every now and then.  

Plus the db can trip and fall, we can get a PI call, anything is possible but you have to at LEAST try.  We could also run a flea flicker or two; a couple of reverses, I mean why the hell not?  What does this team have to lose at this point?   I want to see our young receivers with the ball in their hands and chance to make something happen.

Just now, ASH1962 said:

Or heaven forbid we get a PI flag, of course, we all watch the NFL and we know that never happens on long passes, right?

Hey I am on your side.  I agree, throw the ball down the field, a PI is as good as a long reception.

I would have liked to have seen Devin Smith with Geno. Not because I love Geno, but because he is best suited to get the max potential out of a guy like Devin Smith.

Hopefully Petty and or Hack can utilize his speed when they get a shot.

With Fitz as QB the game plan with him should be to get him the ball in space. His deep game is just not a fit with Fitzpatrick. I don't want to see him running fly routes all day.

Archived