Devin Smith & Breno Giacomini

Jetlife33

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, peebag said:

This is a mystery to me as well. Anyone care to explain?

My guess is that if he was released while injured, the jets would be on the hook for his whole contract.  If he is activated and then released they only owe him a portion.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

If the Geno/Fitz thing taught us anything it's that no matter how bad you think someone is playing, it is probable for the replacement to be worse. 

Breno is a penalty\drive killing machine - and an expensive one to boot.

52 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Smith hasn't regained all of his speed yet.  Between that and Fitzpatrick being the QB, I wouldn't expect many big plays from him this year.

You know this how?  We really don't know that; all we do know is that he has not seen any live game action and maybe a step slow reacting to things but that is totally different than saying he hasn't regained his natural speed. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

If the Geno/Fitz thing taught us anything it's that no matter how bad you think someone is playing, it is probable for the replacement to be worse. 

Why because Geno got hurt?  How was he worse than Fitz in the limited time he had?  

17 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Our RT's haven't been that good at all so far this season, might not hurt to try? But I agree, Breno is toast. He's actually a nice guy I met him at camp 2 years ago, but his play has been sub-par. 

If you know at his price tag he won't be back, and he's not a massive upgrade, I'd rather run the other 2 out there and see if either can improve.

It is tough, this is these guys jobs. 

23 hours ago, peebag said:

Breno is a penalty\drive killing machine - and an expensive one to boot.

5 mil for a starting RT isn't that expensive. 

I don't know how much faith you want to put into PFF numbers but both Clady and Ijalana are outside the top 50 tackles. Breno might be better than Ijalana it's not that crazy to believe. And by the way Qvale is hurt, Shell is the next man up, even for depth reasons it's good to have Breno back. 

On 10/27/2016 at 8:39 AM, BroadwayJets said:

I think Smith's route running is a bit understated. He was getting open last year pretty frequently. I can remember at least 4 times Fitz wildly missed him. But it's hard to be productive as a rookie when Decker and Marshall are getting 80% of the targets. He still needs to improve his route running, and I doubt he has, due to the injury. Was hoping he'd put on some weight this offseason too, but that obviously hasn't happened either due to injury.

During this next offseason, him and Anderson need to hit the gym.

NIce post.  Can't wait to see how he looks on the field. I really don't think Smith he needs to gain any weight; he looked plenty muscular and solid to me.   He and Anderson can stand to get stronger but not necessarily put on that much weight.   

On 10/27/2016 at 11:45 AM, Jack Straw said:

What is the point of even playing Breno? The RT play has been fine between Ijalana and Qvale and the more reps these guys get the better they'll be. 

Qvale is out this weekend and Clady is questionable. Plus, likely no Mangold. The line is looking pretty terrible for Sunday. Could be Ijalana at LT. Dear god. 

On 10/26/2016 at 6:22 PM, Jetlife33 said:

Smith's trademark is definitely the deep ball, but I would hope his route running has improved somewhat and can help in the intermediate pass game as well. If I'm wrong about him, it kinda sucks wasting a 2nd round pick on a guy who can only run the deep route.

Learning to catch the ball would be a good idea, too.  This guy is the typical all-shake, no bake speedster who lacks football skills.  And, he is fragile on top of that.  A wasted 2nd round pick.  Color me underwhelmed with his return.

7 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

Learning to catch the ball would be a good idea, too.  This guy is the typical all-shake, no bake speedster who lacks football skills.  And, he is fragile on top of that.  A wasted 2nd round pick.  Color me underwhelmed with his return.

Agreed, like I said in an other thread, I'm happy with our young Recievers Q, Peake, Anderson and J Marsh. If he was not a 2nd round pick he'd be gone already. A fragile Deep ball receiver with stone hands isn't doing it for me. What's Lamb Jones doing these days?

7 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Agreed, like I said in an other thread, I'm happy with our young Recievers Q, Peake, Anderson and J Marsh. If he was not a 2nd round pick he'd be gone already. A fragile Deep ball receiver with stone hands isn't doing it for me. What's Lamb Jones doing these days?

He was the original "Manos de Piedra" -- Roberto Duran should have paid Johnny a licensing fee.

16 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

Not true at all.  He's a hands catcher and is great at tracking the ball.

6 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Wonder who gets cut for D Smith now.  I thought they would cut butler for Smith but looks like they cut him for Breno.  

I assume this means Devin Smith gets activated right? Unless the Jets plan to roll with 5 WR's tomorrow. 

49 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I assume this means Devin Smith gets activated right? Unless the Jets plan to roll with 5 WR's tomorrow. 

It sounded like to me they cut butler for Breno, meaning if they activate Devin they need to cut another player.  It looks like Devin will wait another week before getting activated.  They have 21 days I think from the time they start practicing to activate them.  (I might be wrong on this number but I think I heard that this week)

3 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Not true at all.  He's a hands catcher and is great at tracking the ball.

Are you friggin' kidding, or do you have amnesia?  28 targets, 9 receptions and several huge drops.  Smith has been awful and has looked lost from the beginning.  The only thing that got him out of the doghouse, and temporarily out of the cross-hairs of Jets fans, was the injury.

On 10/27/2016 at 11:45 AM, Jack Straw said:

What is the point of even playing Breno? The RT play has been fine between Ijalana and Qvale and the more reps these guys get the better they'll be. 

Clady is a game time decision so one of them may fill in for him 

After rewatching the game, Breno looked pretty decent out there to the naked eye. He missed some time during the game due to 2 separate issues, a hand injury and a shoulder injury. He came back into the game though. After the game Breno was interviewed and said "This is like my training camp", so hopefully he continues to improve. 

3 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

After rewatching the game, Breno looked pretty decent out there to the naked eye. He missed some time during the game due to 2 separate issues, a hand injury and a shoulder injury. He came back into the game though. After the game Breno was interviewed and said "This is like my training camp", so hopefully he continues to improve. 

they had 171 yards rushing it was an improvement 

9 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Against one the worst teams in the league against the run, it was still a poor performance. 3.3 yards per carry for your lead back isn't getting the job done against anyone besides the browns. 

none of that has anything to do with the fact that Breno is better than Ijalana. What are we even arguing? 

15 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You argued that the line play improved. It really didn't. Is Breno really 4 million dollars better than Ijalana? I'd say not. 

What you are saying is subjective.

You say the play didn't improve... based on what? They won the game and ran it down the other team's throat, on the road.

you say Breno isn't worth 4 million more than Ijalana, based on what? Breno's play last season? This is this season. 

14 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Notes on these 2 from Bowles presser on Wednesday: 

• WR Devin Smith could be activated this week off the PUP list.
  • Breno Giacomini showed "good toughness" in his first game back, but still has some things to work out. 

lol good toughness but has things to work out, in other words he sucked

Archived