No team has ever tanked intentionally.

UnitedWhofans

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, but what teams do is go with a  youth movement. 

You play the young kids, bench/cut older players that aren't part of the long term plan.  The youth get them experience and by doing that you often lose because those players simply aren't ready yet. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting you tell the players to lay down.

33 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

What I mean by that is its next to impossible to do it because players have pride.

The only team I can recall to intentionally sabotage their season were the 1989 Cowboys. So it doesn't really happen.

The recent Colts tank was injury related

Once Manning was injured the tank job WAS 100% intentional. 

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You play the young kids, bench/cut older players that aren't part of the long term plan.  The youth get them experience and by doing that you often lose because those players simply aren't ready yet. 

At this point? As long as it's been since we have had a franchise QB? If I was coach? I be buying the whole team "Temperpedic  Mattresses" and "my pillows"

I agree with the op, most of the time tanking means the team has been poor to bad for a while and guys get fired.

My local hockey team (Edmonton Oilers) have been accused of tanking for years and not once did they ever intentionally tank, they simply had the worse front office, owner and management team in pro sports for a decade.

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I agree with the op, most of the time tanking means the team has been poor to bad for a while and guys get fired.

My local hockey team (Edmonton Oilers) have been accused of tanking for years and not once did they ever intentionally tank, they simply had the worse front office, owner and management team in pro sports for a decade.

Sticking with the hockey -- the Pittsburgh Penguins tanked in the mid 80s to draft Mario Lemieux with a series of questionable front office personnel moves to field a non-competitive team.  The plyers who were playing were giving their effort, but front office appeared to have stacked the deck against the team.

From a Jets perspective, I guess it would entail moving vets like Marshall, Sheldon at the deadline for below market returns, and sending Petty or Hack out there before they are ready.  But I agree with others that I do not see a prospect in this draft that is worthy of the art of the tank.  At least not right now.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Sticking with the hockey -- the Pittsburgh Penguins tanked in the mid 80s to draft Mario Lemieux with a series of questionable front office personnel moves to field a non-competitive team.  The plyers who were playing were giving their effort, but front office appeared to have stacked the deck against the team.

True and Zona and Buffalo both tanked recently and admitted it but the draft lottery took care of that.  I know that the Oilers have never tanked, they truly had the worst front office ever in pro sports, makes anything the jets have had look like hall of famers.

Just now, nyjunc said:

why would any fan want their team to tank? fans are too obsessed w/ the crapshoot of the draft,

Well for sure fans and front offices would want their team to tank a few late games in the year if a prime QB was sitting there.  And it makes total sense to want to.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well for sure fans and front offices would want their team to tank a few late games in the year if a prime QB was sitting there.  And it makes total sense to want to.

I want to win every game, I don't care if we are 1-14 going into week 17.  the draft is a crapshoot, the two greatest QBs of all time were 3rd and 6th round picks that every team had multiple chances to select.

I want the Jets to lose.  Even if for whatever reaaons they don't like this year's QB crop, take a Tackle or edge rusher, or trade down and acquire picks for 2018.  Then lose some more and have the ammunition to trade up.

This team needs to be planning for the 2020 season.   Set themselves up to dominate the AFCE when Brady is done.  No Free Agent splashes until 2019.

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

It helped that there was a can't miss QB prospect coming out that year.  Who is that guy this year?

There isn't one, I don't want a tank job, I want one of our 2 young QB'S to play they can't do much worse then Fitz has done.  But if Luck was coming out you better believe I would want the Jets at this point in the season to put anyone halfway decent with a hang nail on IR, and play undrafted FA's.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

But how can you execute that? 

Just now, Lupz27 said:

There isn't one, I don't want a tank job, I want one of our 2 young QB'S to play they can't do much worse then Fitz has done.  But if Luck was coming out you better believe I would want the Jets at this point in the season to put anyone halfway decent with a hang nail on IR, and play undrafted FA's.

by the way, rooting for the team does not affect the outcome.  if it did we'd win the SB every year so i will always root for the Jets to win and if we suck and lose late in the season it won't bother me but I will never root for them to lose.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

This!  The idea of a tank only exist in the mind of the fans. It's like the old, "winning meaningless games in Dec/Jan" gooblygoop that fans complain about.  As if the Jets would even get it right if they had a high pick. 

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

What I mean by that is its next to impossible to do it because players have pride.

The only team I can recall to intentionally sabotage their season were the 1989 Cowboys. So it doesn't really happen.

Don't bother.

Anyone implying, or outright saying, the Jets should try to lose out for draft picks.....is beyond help.  And unworthy of much in the way of reply.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I think its very difficult for a second year coach who's basically proven very little to feel comfortable with the FO trading, cutting and encouraging benching of his veteran security blanket to play guys with 1-2 years of experience or PS level talent.  The fans revolt and he's a goner before all this young talent blossoms into a winner...

I'd agree that no team has probably ever tanked an entire 16 game season, but teams have certainly tanked later on in the season when they realized that there's no use in winning games they believe wont benefit them that particular year but will hurt their draft position next year. 

That's undeniable. Teams tank. 

The Colts tanked for Luck and that had ZERO to do with injuries. They were pulling guys out of games when they had the lead several times that year. IR'ing players for hangnails.

16 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I think its very difficult for a second year coach who's basically proven very little to feel comfortable with the FO trading, cutting and encouraging benching of his veteran security blanket to play guys with 1-2 years of experience or PS level talent.  The fans revolt and he's a goner before all this young talent blossoms into a winner...

I wasn't really pointing to the Jets in this situation but just discussing the OP's position that teams in general don't tank.

With that said there is certainly an opportunity to bench underperforming veterans - but I do agree, it'll be tough on Bowles to do that..Ultimately if the Jets want to tank it has to come from the GM and the building of the roster..

Except we had a GM that tried to do that and billboards went up...

It's going to be very, very hard for this franchise to build any consistency and sustained success as long as it allows the fan base and media to dictate football decisions.

3 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

The Colts tanked for Luck and that had ZERO to do with injuries. They were pulling guys out of games when they had the lead several times that year. IR'ing players for hangnails.

I personally agree that the Colts tanked that season as well. People argue against it because there's no tangible evidence. However, following that season and the way they were playing (if you want to call it that) we all knew that there was no way in hell that the Colts werent going to get the 1st pick in the draft. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

the real question is, who would they be tanking for? Desean Watson? Not a sure thing. These college QBs are interesting but not a reason to stop trying. 

Like it or not, "These College QB's" are what your franchise's hope rests on.  Eventually we'll likely have to take a chance on a top QB prospect.  Why not this year?

The '02-'03 Cavs tanked for Lebron.

The 76ers tanked the last 3-4 seasons alone.

The '97 Celtics tanked for Duncan.

The Penguins tanked for Lemieux.

Teams tank in baseball all the time.

The Colts absolutely tanked for Luck. Get out of here with that noise.

The Bucs tanked for Winston. Glennon was clearly outplaying McCown that season.

No player in the NFL is going to tank nor be asked to tank that's ridiculous. These guys are playing for their paychecks and future paychecks. Now when it comes to organizations/GM's wanting to tank that's another story And Fidelio said it best they will play young inexperienced players to get a look at them in extended action and in return probably lose games. I would also think Coaches might experiment just a bit more than they normally would in their schemes.

Archived