Dear Ryan Fitzpatrick: Go tell Donovan McNabb or Vince Young about your problems

JetBlue

28 minutes ago, August said:

I love that this makes some people uncomfortable and no amount of deniability can change that. Fitzpatrick's situation isn't racial per se but the point of the article is to point out that QB's of a certain persuasion gets more chances than others. Fitzpatrick has stunk but he's gotten more chances than certain black QB's that weren't necessarily good. If that fact makes you uncomfortable then that's a you problem.

c/s 100%

Let them stay mad

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The author is turning this into a race issue when it has nothing to do with race. Some guys get more chances than others because they have certain skills that make them appealing to most coordinators. Specifically, the ability to stay in the pocket and read defenses. 

For every Ryan Fitzpatrick, there are guys like jake Locker that are out of the league after only a few years because they simply suck. Vince Young was given 6 years (where he started at least 1 game in each of those 6 years) and he simply sucked. 

Did Vince win some games? Yeah. So did Tim Tebow and only the Jets wanted him.....to run fake Punts. 

Poor example. Locker is out the league because he voluntarily retired. He had interest from a couple of teams and definitely would have been signed had he not

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So lets take another situation that is totally not about race and make it about race, this has only been done.... a thousand time before.

"Because Black quarterbacks can’t never win a public battle against a veteran white coach."

Good lord.  Someone lock this please. 

SAR I

57 minutes ago, August said:

I love that this makes some people uncomfortable and no amount of deniability can change that. Fitzpatrick's situation isn't racial per se but the point of the article is to point out that QB's of a certain persuasion gets more chances than others. Fitzpatrick has stunk but he's gotten more chances than certain black QB's that weren't necessarily good. If that fact makes you uncomfortable then that's a you problem.

I'm genuinely surprised at the responses after reading the article. 

I guess it's easier to just take cheap shots and pretend race doesn't play a role in any of these decisions. 

The author implies that Fitz has been handed starting jobs everywhere he's gone and that's flat out wrong. Basically everywhere he's ever gone, he's been in a backup role. It's taken every QB ahead of him getting injured in order for him to see the field, where he usually played well enough that coaches justified him sticking around for some time as the starter (read: Todd Bowles and Chan Gailey when he was a HC).

For some history:

Rams - Fitzptatrick was the third string QB. Marc Bulger and Jamie Martin were injured by week 11 and Fitz started three games.

Bengals - Carson Palmer was injured most the season, Fitz started 12 games.

Bills - Trent Edwards injured, Fitz started 9 games.

Titans - Jake Locker injured in week 4, Fitz started 9 games.

Texans - Fitz starts season as the #1 QB losing the job to Ryan Mallet who takes over. Mallet is then injured after 3 starts, leaving Fitz with the starting job again.

Jets - Geno punched. Fitz started 16 games. 

Had Vince Young or Donovan McNabb been willing to take backup QB jobs (and backup money), they could have found work. Fat Jamarcus Russell, addicted to codeine sizzurp, is a terrible example to use as a basis for racial injustice - but even he, after all of his troubles, was worked out by a few teams. 

Black QBs surely face some level of prejudice and the author makes fair points, but his targeting of Ryan Fitzpatrick is dumb.

24 minutes ago, Pac said:

I'm genuinely surprised at the responses after reading the article. 

I guess it's easier to just take cheap shots and pretend race doesn't play a role in any of these decisions. 

You know, I never thought that NFL ratings were down because of Collin Kaepernick until this very moment.

I come to Jetnation for spirited debate between well-intentioned Jets fans, it's my escape from life, it's my daily dose of entertainment.

If race is going to come into play here and become a thing, I'm out.  This is the kind of crap I try to avoid in my leisure time.  I'll go to a BMW board, talk about cars instead.

SAR I

Archived