OHHhhh Revis....

whodeawhodat

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Darrelle Revis never will be what he was a few years ago, but he has overcome his early-season problems -- or so he believes. He said cornerback is a "rhythm" position, and he acknowledges he didn't have much rhythm at the start of the season.

Why not?

"Coming into the season, I had a little bit of a weight problem," the New York Jets star said Monday in an interview with ESPN New York radio. "I was trying to get my weight down. Then the first couple of games went by so fast, I couldn't really get my rhythm. Then the hamstring came."

Previously, Revis admitted his conditioning suffered because his routine was affected by offseason wrist surgery, but this was the first time he spoke of a "weight problem." After the Week 2 win over the Buffalo Bills -- a game in which he allowed an 84-yard touchdown pass -- Revis took umbrage with an Internet report that said he was out of shape. He accused his ex-agents of leaking information. It turned out to be true.

On Thursday, Revis reflected on his poor start, basically saying he's a victim of his own success. He believes he gets criticized like a quarterback, traditionally the biggest lightning-rod position in the sport.

You know what? He's getting paid like a quarterback at $17 million in salary this season.

"I brought it upon myself by playing the game and the position at a high level for so long," he said. "Like I said, I brought it on myself. There's nothing you can do. You take the good with the bad and you go with it. It's almost like you're getting criticized like you're a QB and I'm a DB.

"But, at the same time, that's how it goes. ... What I've done in this league, that (why) I'm critiqued like a quarterback. You end up winning and losing games. If a pass is getting caught (on me), it's just like a quarterback throwing a game-winning touchdown or a game-losing interception. That's how it goes."

Since returning from his hamstring injury, Revis has put together two solid games. He played well against the Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald and he allowed only one reception last week against the Baltimore Ravens, who targeted him only five times.

"Early in the season, he had two hiccups along the way," said coach Todd Bowles, alluding to the two long touchdowns. "Other than that, he's been playing fine. He's moving a lot better. He's had some nicks here and there, but he's moving a lot better. He's playing well."

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where was our HC, GM, Training staff, S&C coach etc when Revis was fat? I mean what the mother F**K with this organization already? As the days go by, I become more and more convinced that nobody over there gives a crap about anything except their wallets..

9 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ummmmm you are paid big money to be in fantastic shape, not just good shape or adequate shape but FANTASTIC SHAPE!!

And so Revis knows this the wrist doesnt make you paralyzed!!!!

Just Embarrassing!!!

Good Grief!!

to be fair he was rehabbing all offseason so he couldn't train like he normally does.

Is anyone even really slightly surprised about this?  This is the same crap that happened with his 2010 holdout.  He showed up completely fat and out of shape, played like crap to start the system and then had his sudden hamstring "injury" at the exact moment he got toasted by Moss.  In 2010 he at least got his sh*t together and stepped it back up to be what he's supposed to be.  Let's just hope he comes anywhere near replicating all of that this year.

Of course it would also be nice if he didn't let himself become a fat ass any time he wasn't involved in the team's offseason training.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

If Jets are in a position to either draft a good corner or sign someone for the same or less than his variable cost (over the guarantee), they should cut his tail.

The Jets are already short at cb even if Revis is/was healthy.  I have not given up on Skrine, but he's not been playing well, and imo M Williams is not up to getting the number of plays he gets.  Burris might help here, but the reality is that we've already seen Williams's ceiling, and odds realistically are that Skrine will not improve significantly.

34 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Is anyone even really slightly surprised about this?  This is the same crap that happened with his 2010 holdout.  He showed up completely fat and out of shape, played like crap to start the system and then had his sudden hamstring "injury" at the exact moment he got toasted by Moss.  In 2010 he at least got his sh*t together and stepped it back up to be what he's supposed to be.  Let's just hope he comes anywhere near replicating all of that this year.

Of course it would also be nice if he didn't let himself become a fat ass any time he wasn't involved in the team's offseason training.

I'm surprised, I thought Revis was a true professional.  I find it hard to believe he was hurt all season and had no choice but to come back out of shape.  wtf is this? 

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

He showed up out of shape in 2010 too after his holdout.  That's why he pulled a hammy that season.

I was one of the very few that did not want Mevis the mercenary back.  Now that he is here, they have to try him out at safety in 2017. 

and he had one of the greatest seasons ever by a CB.  are Jet fans really complaining about the best player in franchise history?

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

and he had one of the greatest seasons ever by a CB.  are Jet fans really complaining about the best player in franchise history?

It is one thing to age as a player, it is a whole nother thing to come into camp fat and out of shape.  he is supposed to be a leader on this ******* team.  no wonder our defense is sh*tting the bed all season.  this ******* guy... I didnt blink when he got all his money, this is a business but be a professional, pretend you are a professional if that is what you are doing during negotiations....

2 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

It is one thing to age as a player, it is a whole nother thing to come into camp fat and out of shape.  he is supposed to be a leader on this ******* team.  no wonder our defense is sh*tting the bed all season.  this ******* guy... I didnt blink when he got all his money, this is a business but be a professional, pretend you are a professional if that is what you are doing during negotiations....

fat is a relative term, he clearly was not "fat".  he wasn't in peak shape but again he was rehabbing all offseason and couldn't train like he normally does. Revis has actually played well this season, we wouldn't know that b/c all the focus was on the first 2 games but he has played well.

49 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

to be fair he was rehabbing all offseason so he couldn't train like he normally does.

It's easy to critique a pro athlete when the biggest injury you've ever sustained is carpal tunnel from typing so viciously on a keyboard.  

ANYONE who has had to rehab an injury knows that you usually put in an extra 10-15.  Especially athletes.  Doesn't matter if it's a f*cking toe.  It ruins your entire routine.  You know what?  I've sh*t on Revis here plenty of times, well before this year, but at least he manned up to the poor play, bad shape, etc.  Last two games he's looked fine.  This fanbase is so easy to bait and troll it's ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

fat is a relative term, he clearly was not "fat".  he wasn't in peak shape but again he was rehabbing all offseason and couldn't train like he normally does. Revis has actually played well this season, we wouldn't know that b/c all the focus was on the first 2 games but he has played well.

the **** he wasnt fat

50 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Revis has actually played well after the early hiccups.

Great, if he was in shape for the Bengals, maybe the Jets win that game.

No, I don't put all the blame on him.   But.

You are a team leader.   You make 17 freaking million dollars.  Don't be fat and out of shape when the season starts.

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Great, if he was in shape for the Bengals, maybe the Jets win that game.

No, I don't put all the blame on him.   But.

You are a team leader.   You make 17 freaking million dollars.  Don't be fat and out of shape when the season starts.

If he isnt the A#1 team leader on the Jets, I dont know who is coming into this season.  For him to show up like that is absolute bullsh*t. he had wrist surgery? when does that keep you from being in shape 7 months later.  This team needs an enima.

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

Weight issue or not his contract is ridiculous for his level of play. 

Can he be cut without a big hit?

I think we are stuck with him next year too.  Maybe he will bring donuts for the team next camp...

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

If we had a halfway decent QB and we were winning games no one would be be picking on Revis. 

Winning changes everything win some damn games. 

This isnt about wins and losses imo.  this is about the team. this is about our youth movement seeing a guy walk in fat that is supposed to be a leader.  he should be embarrassed and his teammates should be pissed.

2 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

This isnt about wins and losses imo.  this is about the team. this is about our youth movement seeing a guy walk in fat that is supposed to be a leader.  he should be embarrassed and his teammates should be pissed.

Whats the other 52 players excuses?  Im sure Revis isn't the only guy fat and out of shape. 

I blame this on the head coach and the strength and conditioning program. 

4 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

why do we keep ignoring the fact that he was rehabbing all offseason?  I don't believe he was even cleared for OTAs.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Whats the other 52 players excuses?  Im sure Revis isn't the only guy fat and out of shape. 

I blame this on the head coach and the strength and conditioning program. 

maybe.. maybe fail him on his physical coming into camp.. idk how you motivate players to come into camp in shape with the new CBA. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Ok...

Please explain how rehabbing your wrist stops you from being on the treadmill or stationary bike at your home for an hour and half and not eating as much?

I have loved Revis and have defended him on many occasions but this doesn't make any sense to me. Injuries and setbacks are not an excuse not to take full care of yourself in other areas such as calorie consumption. 

6 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ok...

Please explain how rehabbing your wrist stops you from being on the treadmill or stationary bike at your home for an hour and half and not eating as much?

it doesnt, i think he is just a contrarian at this point.

14 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ok...

I have loved Revis and have defended him on many occasions but this doesn't make any sense to me. Injuries and setbacks are not an excuse not to take full care of yourself in other areas such as calorie consumption. 

being in running shape vs. being in football shape are very different things, I am sure he ran as much as he was allowed.  he was not "fat", he wasn't in peak shape b/c he couldn't lift and couldn't train the way he normally trains and unfortunately 2 plays are defining his season(one where he should have had safety help) as we ignore that he has actually been good this season.

Archived