Pat Mahomes II

Lupz27

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

IMO, pretty much every QB short of Luck and Winston is a project.  They are not day 1 starters and, as with any other position, that equates to a project.  A guy that is not ready, but you hope will be soon.  That is usually the case with NTs too.  I will give you that Mariota is one guy that seemed a project and wasn't and that a bigger guy with an arm is more likely to be able to step in and start before we feel they are technically ready. No fundamentally sound screams project to me because that is your project, making the guy fundamentally sound.  

I liked your dance analogy, but we will take Brady and Manning all day long and neither of them is particularly quick, nimble or agile.  My actual analysis was that he seemed to flip the ball up there for grabs.  I admit that stylistically, he seems to sling it a bit and I generally prefer more of an over the top delivery which may be why I didn't like the highlight reel much.  Looks more like Cutler or George heaving it and while that isn't an insult per se, it isn't really what I like to watch.

Some QBs are day 1 starters, but even those few will still struggle mightily that 1st   year .  If the NFL was easy, they would not be so many who have tried it and failed . It takes a year even for the very gifted and maybe 2 or 3 for others depending on the program they played in at the college level and their own maturity . Guys like Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, and others have no business starting for an NFL team coming out of college especially playing in a media market like NY .

Even in Texas, there's a difference between playing for the Longhorns and playing for the Bears .

16 minutes ago, legler82 said:

If that's the case all collegiate QBs are projects to some various degree as no prospect is perfect.  Hence, why the term is so overused.  There's always something a QB prospect needs to work on or haven't been exposed to.  Even Luck never faced an NFL defense until he got to the league.  I would also hope that individual development is not expected to stop the minute you get drafted.

True.  But Luck's throwing mechanics were sound and he spent 3 years at Stanford understanding NFL offensive concepts and defensive schemes.  He also spent some time a Manning Passing Academy in high school and a couple times in college.  He didn't have much of his individual game to work on.  He could come in from day one and get to work with the team.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

IMO, pretty much every QB short of Luck and Winston is a project.  They are not day 1 starters and, as with any other position, that equates to a project.  A guy that is not ready, but you hope will be soon.  That is usually the case with NTs too.  I will give you that Mariota is one guy that seemed a project and wasn't and that a bigger guy with an arm is more likely to be able to step in and start before we feel they are technically ready. No fundamentally sound screams project to me because that is your project, making the guy fundamentally sound.  

I liked your dance analogy, but we will take Brady and Manning all day long and neither of them is particularly quick, nimble or agile.  My actual analysis was that he seemed to flip the ball up there for grabs.  I admit that stylistically, he seems to sling it a bit and I generally prefer more of an over the top delivery which may be why I didn't like the highlight reel much.  Looks more like Cutler or George heaving it and while that isn't an insult per se, it isn't really what I like to watch.

Brady and Manning's greatness does not originate from their superior footwork.  That said, my analogy still applies to them.  If I had to decide between Brady/Manning as they are now vs the same Brady/Manning with quicker, more nimble and agile feet, I would take the latter.

6 hours ago, legler82 said:

Mahomes has Cutler, Stafford, Favre, Jeff George type of arm talent.   everything else you wrote about Mahomes is wrong and the complete opposite of what he's shown on tape.  He has shown the ability to operate in the pocket, read defenses, feel pressure. 

No...

No. No, and no. 

If you what you're saying was so (pompously) clear, he would easily - EE-SAH-LEE - be the best QB in the draft class. Undisputed, and presently being drafted by CLE in every mock draft from here to russia.

But he's not is he?

So there's two possibilities why this is not happening.

1) the entire football community is light years behind you, and the Mahomes Tiger beat fan club.

2) He's not that good, and you're drunk on Mahomes love.

I don't know... tough call. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Agreed. See Lynch, Paxton. ;)

LOL Sorry man. I had to. 

I don't what the slam is here? I take my lumps when i gots to. Still hear about Taylor Mays all the time (never used right i tell ya!).. but I fail to understand how Lynch is the personification of a failure... especially when he's won more games than Jared Goff. What's the measuring stick? The first 4 games of Wentz? or the other 8 meddling performances?

"Needs time to develop"

5 mins later

"he sucks"

D'ALRIGHTY THEN!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

No...

No. No, and no. 

If you what you're saying was so (pompously) clear, he would easily - EE-SAH-LEE - be the best QB in the draft class. Undisputed, and presently being drafted by CLE in every mock draft from here to russia.

But he's not is he?

So there's two possibilities why this is not happening.

1) the entire football community is light years behind you, and the Mahomes Tiger beat fan club.

2) He's not that good, and you're drunk on Mahomes love.

I don't know... tough call. 

Draft season is still at its infancy.  Around this time last year and as early as 3 months prior to this time last year, the entire football community was last year behind me with regards to Wentz.  We shall see if history repeats itself.  Like Wentz he may not end up being the first QB taken but I can EE-SAH-LEE see a scenario where he climbs to the top 10.  Aaron Rodgers was drafted 25th overall and Derek Carr went in the 2nd round; let's not pretend the football community is light years ahead of knowledgable fans.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, legler82 said:

Draft season is still at its infancy.  Around this time last year and as early as 3 months prior to this time last year, the entire football community was last year behind me with regards to Wentz.  We shall see if history repeats itself.  Like Wentz he may not end up being the first QB taken but I can EE-SAH-LEE see a scenario where he climbs to the top 10.  Aaron Rodgers was drafted 25th overall and Derek Carr went in the 2nd round; let's not pretend the football community is light years ahead of knowledgable fans.

You're reaching bud. Like a lot. 

Wentz was already in discussion as a franchise QB going into 2015. Competition was the only thing keeping him out of 1st round mocks during the season. He was already floating around the first round by this time. All the things that made Wentz the stuff of kings -- Mahomes has none of them. I get the love from a "potential" and big play exciting stand point, but there's a grocery list of issues and concerns about him. He's not broken, like Hack, so there's always the off chance you can develop Mahomes, and teach him -- but that's a fcking long road. and not one you should compare that was traveled by Rodgers, or Carr. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

You're reaching bud. Like a lot. 

Wentz was already in discussion as a franchise QB going into 2015. Competition was the only thing keeping him out of 1st round mocks during the season. He was already floating around the first round by this time. All the things that made Wentz the stuff of kings -- Mahomes has none of them. I get the love from a "potential" and big play exciting stand point, but there's a grocery list of issues and concerns about him. He's not broken, like Hack, so there's always the off chance you can develop Mahomes, and teach him -- but that's a fcking long road. and not one you should compare that was traveled by Rodgers, or Carr. 

Mahomes is floating around in many 1st round mock drafts now, and nobody has seen the kid as much as tie his shoes never mind throw a football, or workout since November 25th, Wentz hype train began after his bowl game, and didn't culminate into him being a top 2 QB/pick until after combine, interviews, and pro day.  February 1st 2016 Wentz was considered mid to late 1st by most, and a few early 2nd round picks.  Mahomes has same issue as Wentz had sort of, Wentz was competition, Mahomes is the offensive system he played in.

IMO when Mahomes goes through the combine, the pro day, and interviews he will start getting projected no later then 10 to the Bills, and probably top 3, I mean right now everyone is mocking Kizer top 6, Kizer is half the talent Mahomes is IMO, here is a write up on why Kizer will be picked top 3.

Of the quarterback prospects for the 2017 NFL Draft, Kizer has the best skill set. The 6-foot-4, 230-pounder has a strong arm that can make all the throws for the NFL. He has also flashed superb accuracy and an ability to make accurate touch passes downfield to beat good coverage in tight windows. Kizer can also make beautiful passes in the face of a pass rush. Additionally, he has the mobility to buy time for his receivers, bail out his offensive line, and pick up yards with his feet. The big problems for Kizer is consistency as he is a streaky passer and player. 

Now IMO Mahomes does EVERYTHING listed in the skill set better then Kizer is roughly the same size, and is NOT streaky, and doesn't lack consistency.

Anyone who thinks Kizer is a better prospect then Mahomes is just foolish, Kizer folded in every big game this season, showed zero leadership, and played badly way to many times on a far superior team against average talent, and played horrendous at times vs good talented teams, I mean this is straight out of the hey look a ND QB who is 6'4" 240 good arm, good mobility lets assume he will be a great NFL QB.

Now there is this from your post  "All the things that made Wentz the stuff of kings -- Mahomes has none of them".

That couldn't be farther from the truth, the only thing Mahomes doesn't have that Wentz does is a photographic memory, Mahomes better arm talent, better pedigree, better competition, more starting experience, the ability to read a defense, the ability to lead an offense, better scrambler in the pocket, outside the pocket, and more ability to gain yards with his feet, and keeps eyes down field while scrambling.  Everyone will say foot work, and mechanics are atrocious, and Wentz didn't have bad footwork, but Mahomes can make every pass regardless of his poor footwork, he is a born gifted thrower, the likes only a few have been blessed with, not arm strength, arm talent.

For my money if I'm taking a QB early it's Mahomes, Trubisky may be more prototypical NFL QB, but dude has 13 starts, and that doesn't usually bode well, Kizer is a huge bust waiting to happen, hell his college HC didn't even want him as starter prior to this season, he had to win it in a competition, and Watson is basically your Tyrod Taylor minus the big arm, and minus the ball security thou he seems to have a knack for the big game so I won't completely write him off.

So in summary yeah I love me some Pat Mahomes!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Mahomes is floating around in many 1st round mock drafts now, and nobody has seen the kid as much as tie his shoes never mind throw a football, or workout since November 25th, Wentz hype train began after his bowl game, and didn't culminate into him being a top 2 QB/pick until after combine, interviews, and pro day.  February 1st 2016 Wentz was considered mid to late 1st by most, and a few early 2nd round picks.  Mahomes has same issue as Wentz had sort of, Wentz was competition, Mahomes is the offensive system he played in.

IMO when Mahomes goes through the combine, the pro day, and interviews he will start getting projected no later then 10 to the Bills, and probably top 3, I mean right now everyone is mocking Kizer top 6, Kizer is half the talent Mahomes is IMO, here is a write up on why Kizer will be picked top 3.

Of the quarterback prospects for the 2017 NFL Draft, Kizer has the best skill set. The 6-foot-4, 230-pounder has a strong arm that can make all the throws for the NFL. He has also flashed superb accuracy and an ability to make accurate touch passes downfield to beat good coverage in tight windows. Kizer can also make beautiful passes in the face of a pass rush. Additionally, he has the mobility to buy time for his receivers, bail out his offensive line, and pick up yards with his feet. The big problems for Kizer is consistency as he is a streaky passer and player. 

Now IMO Mahomes does EVERYTHING listed in the skill set better then Kizer is roughly the same size, and is NOT streaky, and doesn't lack consistency.

Anyone who thinks Kizer is a better prospect then Mahomes is just foolish, Kizer folded in every big game this season, showed zero leadership, and played badly way to many times on a far superior team against average talent, and played horrendous at times vs good talented teams, I mean this is straight out of the hey look a ND QB who is 6'4" 240 good arm, good mobility lets assume he will be a great NFL QB.

Now there is this from your post  "All the things that made Wentz the stuff of kings -- Mahomes has none of them".

That couldn't be farther from the truth, the only thing Mahomes doesn't have that Wentz does is a photographic memory, Mahomes better arm talent, better pedigree, better competition, more starting experience, the ability to read a defense, the ability to lead an offense, better scrambler in the pocket, outside the pocket, and more ability to gain yards with his feet, and keeps eyes down field while scrambling.  Everyone will say foot work, and mechanics are atrocious, and Wentz didn't have bad footwork, but Mahomes can make every pass regardless of his poor footwork, he is a born gifted thrower, the likes only a few have been blessed with, not arm strength, arm talent.

For my money if I'm taking a QB early it's Mahomes, Trubisky may be more prototypical NFL QB, but dude has 13 starts, and that doesn't usually bode well, Kizer is a huge bust waiting to happen, hell his college HC didn't even want him as starter prior to this season, he had to win it in a competition, and Watson is basically your Tyrod Taylor minus the big arm, and minus the ball security thou he seems to have a knack for the big game so I won't completely write him off.

So in summary yeah I love me some Pat Mahomes!

This assumes Mahomes interviews well.  All we know about Mahomes right now is what we see on the field.  No one knows how he is behind closed doors.  He maybe a jerk and/or dumber than a bag of rocks.  In that such a scenario, he may not climb draft boards the way Wentz did.  

1 hour ago, legler82 said:

This assumes Mahomes interviews well.  All we know about Mahomes right now is what we see on the field.  No one knows how he is behind closed doors.  He maybe a jerk and/or dumber than a bag of rocks.  In that such a scenario, he may not climb draft boards the way Wentz did.  

Very fair point, I'm projecting from what I've read about the kid that he will wow in the interviews, and will also wow with his professionalism, and command of his pro day based on his pedigree.

If I'm wrong about him being smart and interviews poorly then he obviously will drop, I don't see that happening, but it obviously can.

1 hour ago, legler82 said:

The write up on Kizer also assumes he interviews well thou to so my point stands.

6 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

You can get your first look at Pat Mahomes Friday at 7 PM on ESPN for the first time since November 25th.

http://owlsports.com/news/2017/1/21/reddick-selected-to-participate-in-state-farm-all-star-football-challenge.aspx

I'm a fan of Mahones but I really can't see our front office taking him. Admittedly, he will need time to adjust to the pro game.  Problem is after resigning Fitz and taking Petty and Hack, they really don't have anything to show.  If they take another QB, it's not going to be someone that will need time.  It will be someone like Trubisky, who will be able to play sooner.

Not saying that's what I would do, just based on all the heat that Mac and Bowles are under now.  If they take Mahones early in the draft, he is either going to have to play right away or they are going to Destroyed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

I'm a fan of Mahones but I really can't see our front office taking him. Admittedly, he will need time to adjust to the pro game.  Problem is after resigning Fitz and taking Petty and Hack, they really don't have anything to show.  If they take another QB, it's not going to be someone that will need time.  It will be someone like Trubisky, who will be able to play sooner.

Not saying that's what I would do, just based on all the heat that Mac and Bowles are under now.  If they take Mahones early in the draft, he is either going to have to play right away or they are going to Destroyed.

Truubisky. Is going to be a mistake. Not a personal attack on you I just see, well nothing promising

So if they will take a QB at 6.  Just take Watson and f* it. 

2 hours ago, Stark said:

Truubisky. Is going to be a mistake. Not a personal attack on you I just see, well nothing promising

So if they will take a QB at 6.  Just take Watson and f* it. 

I never said I wanted Trubisky.  In fact, I wouldn't take a QB in this draft at all.  But looking at the team's current make up, it wouldn't shock me if they took him.

There are at least two QBs most likely coming out in 2018 that are better than anything we could get in this draft.

56 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I never said I wanted Trubisky.  In fact, I wouldn't take a QB in this draft at all.  But looking at the team's current make up, it wouldn't shock me if they took him.

There are at least two QBs most likely coming out in 2018 that are better than anything we could get in this draft.

Darnold and Rosen, but will we be that bad???? Not with our luck

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

http://lubbockonline.com/news/sports/sports-red-raiders-football/2017-02-23/tech-s-patrick-mahomes-ii-invited-gruden-s-qb

Tech’s Patrick Mahomes II invited to Gruden’s QB Camp

Comments

Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes II is one of seven quarterbacks announced Thursday who’ll be part of the annual Jon Gruden’s QB Camp series on ESPN leading up to the NFL draft.

The series is set at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Florida. Gruden spends time separately with each quarterback going over video and on the field. Excerpts of the visits will be featured the same day on SportsCenter, NFL Live and other ESPN shows.

Mahomes, the two-time FBS total offense leader, gave up his senior year of eligibility in January to declare for the draft.

“Another underclassman, Mahomes is the guy who has really popped off the film for me,” Gruden said in Thursday’s announcement. “He’s very athletic — a baseball player. They throw it every single play at Texas Tech. He can get rid of the ball from awkward positions with a lot on it. He’s a gunslinger.”

Two-time Heisman Trophy finalist Deshaun Watson from national champion Clemson headlines the group of invitees. The others invited are Joshua Dobbs from Tennessee, Brad Kaaya from Miami, DeShone Kizer of Notre Dame, Nathan Peterman from Pittsburgh and Mitch Trubisky of North Carolina.

This is the eighth season of Gruden’s QB Camp. New episodes begin at 7:30 p.m. April 11. The entire schedule will be released later this month. The draft is April 27-29 in Philadelphia.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/in-a-high-risk-nfl-draft-for-qbs-patrick-mahomes-sure-doesnt-look-like-a-bust/

In a high-risk NFL Draft for QBs, Patrick Mahomes sure doesn't look like a bust

LaTroy Hawkins pitched 21 years in Major League Baseball, appeared in more than 1,000 games, suffered just one significant injury in his career, and proved highly durable and extremely valuable through the 2015 season, when he retired, at age 42, as the oldest player in the majors. 

He made his major league debut with Minnesota on April 29, 1995, then was quickly shuttled back to the minors. He returned to the Twins on Sept. 18 of that season for his fourth major league start, one day after his good buddy Pat Mahomes, a fellow Twins pitcher, welcomed his first child into the world. That child, Patrick Mahomes, was born in Tyler, Texas, and the next day, in the second game of a double-header at Kansas City, his godfather, Hawkins, would earn his first MLB win, going 5 2/3 innings, while Patrick’s father relieved him in the sixth to pick up a three-inning save. 

Patrick Mahomes’ two future role models are shining examples of what it means to be a professional athlete -- living embodiments of the dedication, perseverance and sacrifice it requires to reach the pinnacle of pro sports. And now, 21 years in the making, young Patrick Mahomes is primed to be selected in the first round of April’s NFL draft. He is one of the players that NFL execs are most intrigued to watch at this week’s scouting combine in Indianapolis. 

“I remember the day his mom and dad and told me that they were pregnant with him,” Hawkins told me after a day of working with the Twins’ minor leaguers at spring training in Fort Myers. “I’ve been with Patrick literally since Day 1.” 

The younger Mahomes has spent his entire life as an accomplished youth athlete, immersed in locker rooms and playing fields. At Texas Tech, he played three distinguished seasons under Kliff Kingsbury as the trigger man in the Red Raiders’ Air Raid offense. Sports is literally all Mahomes has known, from the bullpens to the batting cages to the practice fields. Leadership, teamwork, conditioning, selflessness, confidence, ambition, professionalism -- the very traits that can separate star quarterbacks from draft busts -- come naturally to him, those who know him best say, and it’s not simply through osmosis, either. 

“HE IS DETERMINED, AND ONCE HE IS DETERMINED TO DO SOMETHING, THERE’S NOT TOO MANY THINGS THAT CAN STOP HIM. MAYBE A 300-POUND DEFENSIVE END RUNNING A 4.5 40, BUT EVEN HE’S GOING TO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HIM.”  -- LaTroy Hawkins on Patrick Mahomes

From a very young age Mahomes, whose father pitched for 11 years in the majors, pushed his mentors for information, assistance, guidance, on how to become a better athlete, but also on how to conduct himself off the field, how to avoid pitfalls, how to navigate the trappings of fame and success, and the importance of shunning the partying lifestyle that could derail even the most promising of careers. Pat Mahomes and Hawkins fully supported Patrick’s decision to pick the gridiron over the diamond -- he turned down a contract from the Tigers, who selected Mahomes in the 2014 MLB draft -- and are excited that one of college football’s best-kept secrets is becoming much more of a household name through the early stages of the pre-draft process. 

“We always tried to set a really good example for him,” said Hawkins, who can recall sharing an apartment with baby Patrick and his parents in Puerto Rico in winter league baseball and running to the Burger King across the street to get him fries in the middle of the night. “And keep him not in a cocoon, but to try to keep our circle tight. And we’ve definitely been able to do that, because he’s not one of those guys who is going to go out looking for people to validate that he is good enough. He doesn’t need that. We don’t have an entourage. We’re not about that. 

“And he understands that and he’s a lot like me. His daddy always said, ‘That boy acts just like you.’ And you do have to safeguard yourself from some people who want to leach on you or bring you down or influence you not to do the right thing, and Patrick has done a great job of that. 

“We always reinforce what the plan is and having the right people to help implement it with you, and I’ve always talked to him about taking care of your body, because your body is your temple, and if you take care of your body you are maximizing your God-given talent ... And He’s one of those kids who retains so much information. He has like a photographic memory -- once you tell him something he’ll never forget it.” 

Like his father and godfather, Mahomes was a star pitcher. He excelled at all sports but didn’t really start playing organized football until seventh grade. By high school, he was totally hooked on quarterbacking and that’s been his calling ever since. Despite the deep baseball bloodlines in his family, Mahomes, impeccably mannered with conversation sprinkled with “yes sirs” and “no sirs,” received nothing but support for his decision. 

“My mom and dad and godfather really left it up to me,” Mahomes told me after another full day of quarterback training in California prepping for the combine. “They said whatever you enjoy the most, and whatever you feel like you do the best, we’ll support you. They let me make the decision.” 

Kingsbury, the esteemed quarterback guru, already had a crowded group of passers at Texas Tech before Mahomes arrived on campus. Then Baker Mayfield transferred to Oklahoma. Mahomes actually flew to Lubbock a day after the Tigers selected him in the 37th round -- his baseball draft stock fell with most teams assuming Mahomes would choose college football -- and ended up appearing in seven games and starting four as a true freshman. He tossed 16 TDs to just 4 INTs on his way to beating out incumbent Davis Webb, who went on to shine at Cal this season and is a well-thought of draft prospect himself. 

Now playing big time college football in the Big 12, all of those years spent with his father and Hawkins really began to take hold. The words carried more meaning now, and those days as a child putting balls on a tee for Alex Rodriguez to smash relentlessly for hours at a time all resonated even more deeply. The younger Mahomes went about sculpting his body more in the offseason, realizing that his athletic prowess alone -- and the genetic dynamite in his rifle right arm -- would only carry him so far. 

“I was always on him that he could be in better shape,” said Hawkins, who reached the postseason 10 times, including his final season after a trade to Toronto, and pitched in one World Series for the Rockies. “And when he went to college he got in better shape and he saw those guys were bigger, stronger and faster than anything he’d seen before. And once he got as big and fast as those guys, he took off.” 

Patrick Mahomes said: “I feel like everything I saw as little kid had a great impact on my life, but I didn’t realize it as much until I got older. Then I could really appreciate how these guys work so hard to stay in the league and to be a professional athlete, and you take from them how hard you have to work to get there. LaTroy really is a great role model for me in how to do things the right way. He did it the right way his entire career. He never drank, he always worked out to keep his body in the best shape possible, and he still looks like he could play today.” 

patrick-mahomes.jpg
Patrick Mahomes is ready to prove he belongs in the first-round QB conversation. USATSI

Mahomes managed to somehow fly under the radar as a Red Raider, with Clemson’s Deshaun Watson naturally getting huge accolades en route to a national title and strapping North Carolina QB Mitch Trubisky emerging as a one-year wonder and Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer seemingly on national television every week. All Mahomes, a superb mobile athlete at 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, did was throw for more than 5,000 yards as a junior, completing nearly 66 percent of his passes, averaging over 8.5 yards per attempt, with 41 touchdowns to just 10 picks. While some scouts scoff at the spread formation Kingsbury runs at Texas Tech, the decision to leave school early was relatively easy; Mahomes can play on Sundays and he knows it. 

“He looked at the other guys on like his first day on campus,” said Hawkins, who spent his final years in the majors trying to figure out how to watch and get to as many Texas Tech games as possible, “and after his first practice in Lubbock he told his dad and I, ‘I’m better than those guys. I just don’t know the system, yet. But I’m going to outplay them.’ And his body of work the rest of his freshman, sophomore and junior years show you what type of young man he is. He is determined, and once he is determined to do something, there’s not too many things that can stop him. Maybe a 300-pound defensive end running a 4.5 40, but even he’s going to have a problem with him.” 

Mahomes said: “It’s just about making myself the best player I can possibly be, so I’m ready to play from Day 1, and my goal is to win a Super Bowl. At Texas Tech I put up all the stats and all the yards, but we never got to a Big 12 Championship, and I want to hold a Trophy at the end of the season.” 

Hawkins, drafted by the Twins out of high school in 1991, played a key role, along with Patrick’s parents, of course, in being a sounding-board through the major decisions that Mahomes has faced the past few months. He helped him through the process of picking an agent, settling on Leigh Steinberg, who worked with spread quarterback Paxton Lynch a year ago. Lynch ended up going in the first round while other quarterbacks got more initial hype. Sound familiar? 

Lynch struggled some with the transition at the combine, and Steinberg is optimistic Mahomes will be a little crisper when he runs those drills -- he’ll do everything except lift at the combine -- with the pre-draft work aimed at maximizing the quarterback’s performance at his March 31 Pro Day. Mahomes has had his hand in a splint as a precaution in recent weeks but he’s fully healthy now, Steinberg said. 

“We chose to recruit him and didn’t even try for the other three quarterbacks,” said Steinberg, who is famous for representing top-of-the-draft quarterbacks, “assuming no one else would represent two, which somebody is. But we made him that commitment, and it wasn’t that we had no contacts at Clemson or UNC or Notre Dame or elsewhere, but it’s because I think he’s the best quarterback in the draft.” 

Actually, considering the recent results and bleak short-term prospects of the QB-desperate clubs picking at the top of this draft -- Cleveland, San Francisco and Chicago -- being picked a little lower could actually be the best thing possible for Mahomes. Going to a better franchise with a more stable situation and better talent around him (like say the Texans, or the Chiefs), is likely much more conducive to staying healthy and having long-term success, though Mahomes is going to be a draft “riser” regardless, I suspect. 

He’s bracing for the onslaught of questions about what some might dub a gimmicky offense in college. He’s quick to point out he was given significant audible freedom at the line of scrimmage and that he took plenty of practice reps under center, so the quarterback wouldn’t only be accustomed to shotgun situations. Kingsbury imparts plenty of pro concepts, which Mahomes intends to display over the next two months. 

“No doubt, the coaches and GMs will ask me about it,” Mahomes said, “and it’s a valid question, because not a lot of guys have worked out from it on pro teams. But I feel like I can break the mold.” 

As for his overall approach to these coming weeks, for Mahomes it’s simple. 

“It’s definitely going to be me showing my passion for the game,” Mahomes said. “They’ll see that in how I talk about the game and how I play it. And win, lose or draw, how I’ll fight until the end every game and they’ll have to drag me off the field. I’m going out there every single day and doing something I love, so why not put everything into it? I’ve seen LaTroy and my dad do it their whole lives, give it all they have every single day, and that’s the same thing I’m going to do.” 

Undoubtedly, few others in this draft class will have quite a deep history of such first-hand experiences to cull upon as they make the journey to the NFL. Few rookies will have a more intimate understanding of the type of alpha male locker room they are about to enter. Few, frankly, will be better prepared for the undertaking, and that background has helped mitigate some of the angst that the loved ones of these draft prospects undoubtedly experience with spring just ahead, and new beginnings abounding. 

“I’m nervous, just because from a parent’s standpoint you always want the outcome to be the best it could possibly be,” said Hawkins. “But I also have this good bit of calm about me, knowing the kid and dealing with him his entire life. I know that Patrick is going to excel and once people meet him they’ll fall in love with him. He’s that kind of kid and, I’m biased, obviously, but I know he can be the face of a franchise and help get you to the playoffs and eventually win a Super Bowl. I know he has a lot of intangibles that a lot of other people just don’t have.” 

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Mahomes, watched a lot of his games. The problem is...we already have 2 Patrick Mahomes on the roster in Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. Now, i'm not saying they are exactly the same. But all 3 are similar prospects. "super high upside, very raw, a few years from being NFL ready" 

If we go Mahomes, Petty has to go. No point in 3 raw big talent QBs who have no idea how to play the NFL position. 

Almost slipped on the jizz on the way in here....

Important reading material here from the guy who's probably more respected than anyone in draft-media when it comes to QBs especially. Need to respect the "Can't project a QB based on ability to make plays outside of structure"... comment.

• Haha 2

He'll lead the league in fumbles for a qb the way he handles the ball.,

I also can't get over his shot put delivery on long passes.

I'll say one thing, if the jets took this dude at 6 mac would be hitching his career to him.  (Not just his job with  the jets)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Almost slipped on the jizz on the way in here....

Important reading material here from the guy who's probably more respected than anyone in draft-media when it comes to QBs especially. Need to respect the "Can't project a QB based on ability to make plays outside of structure"... comment.

I am not trying to start anything, but this is the same Greg Cosell who said he would take RG3 over Luck.

We all know QB evaluators are all over the map, and usually all say the same thing to cover their @$$, " player X, needs time to learn and develop... has a lot of upside if he can sit and learn for a year". 

I do not think the JETS should take Mahomes at 6... but if they were to trade into the back of the first or trade back into the end of the 1st I wouldn't lose my mind. 

4 minutes ago, Stark said:

I am not trying to start anything, but this is the same Greg Cosell who said he would take RG3 over Luck.

We all know QB evaluators are all over the map, and usually all say the same thing to cover their @$$, " player X, needs time to learn and develop... has a lot of upside if he can sit and learn for a year". 

I do not think the JETS should take Mahomes at 6... but if they were to trade into the back of the first or trade back into the end of the 1st I wouldn't loose my mind. 

Not sure what you're point is - that no one is 100%? Coswell has a voice that people respect - cherry picking is for the birds. Beyond that - the point of that article is to shed some light on the reasons why there's lots of risk with Mahomes. The tiger-beat club here has been down right ridiculous in minimizing the concerns in his game.

Will he end up as an instant bust? I dunno. Hopefully not. He certainly sounds like a good kid who wants to do it right.

But so what? 

He has as horrible habits as there is possible, and almost none of the "highlights" translate to the NFL. I wouldn't touch him before round 3. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Stark said:

I do not think the JETS should take Mahomes at 6... but if they were to trade into the back of the first or trade back into the end of the 1st I wouldn't lose my mind. 

I don't see any scenario where the Jets draft Mahomes, I can scream about him all I want it's not happening.

Cossell said the same thing about Trubisky this year, so sounds like his calling card this year on evaluations is can't project a QB based on ability to make plays outside of structure (basically how Russell Wilson got his start in the league, and then learned the position from there).

Kizer has same issue as Geno Smith slow eyes, and he was so non committing on even offering a real evaluation on Watson probably with fear of being wrong.

Cossell did like Dak last year thou so he has that going for him.  But like everyone else he has his complete miss evaluations on guys calling Ryan Nassib the best QB in his draft class.