Jets receiving calls to acquire Sheldon Richardson

Jets Daily Dosage.

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

Redskins picked 5th, but I said the same thing in another thread. No point sticking up for Mac; it is like Fitz vs. Geno; This board is filled with side-takers; pro Mac can see no wrong, anti Mac can't see anything good. For those of us in the middle it can be very frustrating, but it is what it is.

It was a no-brainer, but the Jags and Raiders pass on him as well. Either it is a no brainer and 3 teams f-d up, or it is a balanced decision and Mac did well. Either way, it is like the election; those in their own camps cannot see right in the other candidate and wrong in their own... 

My only concern is that if Macc bottoms out that Woody is going back to a bean counter

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a really interesting offseason that will be coming up. We have a lot of "fat" on the roster...the FO needs to consider the following players cap casualties depending on how the rest of the season goes:

1. Darrelle Revis...save about 9m on cap.

2. Ryan Clady...save about 10m on cap

3. Nick Mangold...save about 9m on cap

4. Marcus Gilchrist...save about 5m on cap

5. David Harris...save 6.5m on cap

6. Breno Giacomini...save 5m on cap.

How many of these players will realistically be good players over the next few years? Cut them. That's why I'm obsessed with playing the youth this year. A lot of guys are already getting/may soon be getting reps in positions that need the experience because we may be cutting the starters at their positions.

See:

1. Burris,

3. Wesley Johnson,

4. Butler,

5. Lee/Carter/Henderson/Jones

6. Ijalana

12 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Redskins picked 5th, but I said the same thing in another thread. No point sticking up for Mac; it is like Fitz vs. Geno; This board is filled with side-takers; pro Mac can see no wrong, anti Mac can't see anything good. For those of us in the middle it can be very frustrating, but it is what it is.

It was a no-brainer, but the Jags and Raiders pass on him as well. Either it is a no brainer and 3 teams f-d up, or it is a balanced decision and Mac did well. Either way, it is like the election; those in their own camps cannot see right in the other candidate and wrong in their own... 

Thanks for the correction!My mistake, my memory told me 4th, I was 1 off. But yeah Mac deserves praise for that pick, and deserves some heat for some others. But shouldn't bash the guy for making a sound pick because it was "obvious" which to some teams it clearly wasn't. 

27 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Another voice of reason and not delusion.

Thanks. I think we are in decent shape to get a good return, though.

After we potentially cut high wasteful contracts on the roster, we should have alot of cap space (40-50M) next year and moving forward. Additionally, Sheldon is under contract for 2017 and we have the option of franchising him for 2018. So it's not like we are going to lose him immediately.

That being said, I don't want to pay him. Not after the Wilkerson deal (which sucks right now but may end up being a decent investment IF he gets his sh*t together.)

Since Sheldon is not about to leave, AND we are not in cap hell, AND we already have a replacement on the roster in Leonard, AND we are looking at a nice comp pick if we let him walk...we are in a position of power when it comes to dealing Sheldon. In other words, we don't NEED to trade him. With that in mind, I think we can get a high 2 or even a 1.

A lot depends on the concern around the league regarding his potential for suspension. 

3 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Thanks. I think we are in decent shape to get a good return, though.

After we potentially cut high wasteful contracts on the roster, we should have alot of cap space (40-50M) next year and moving forward. Additionally, Sheldon is under contract for 2017 and we have the option of franchising him for 2018. So it's not like we are going to lose him immediately.

That being said, I don't want to pay him. Not after the Wilkerson deal (which sucks right now but may end up being a decent investment IF he gets his sh*t together.)

Since Sheldon is not about to leave, AND we are not in cap hell, AND we already have a replacement on the roster in Leonard, AND we are looking at a nice comp pick if we let him walk...we are in a position of power when it comes to dealing Sheldon. In other words, we don't NEED to trade him. With that in mind, I think we can get a high 2 or even a 1.

A lot depends on the concern around the league regarding his potential for suspension. 

They're not getting a 1st.

59 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell do you trade Sheldon Richardson for a "what if" draft pick.

Not the way this team drafts a proven NFL superstar for a probable bust pick. 

So we keep him for another year, play him at LB, and let him walk in free agency and get nothing?  AWESOME IDEA!

43 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We dont draft well if you calculate all the picks and all the players still on the team or in the NFL many 1st rounders are busts. 

I don't think you're "calculating" anything, unless you're comparing to how often 1st rounders are busts league-wide.  Hint - it's a lot more than 0%.

1 minute ago, thshadow said:

I don't think you're "calculating" anything, unless you're comparing to how often 1st rounders are busts league-wide.  Hint - it's a lot more than 0%.

Go calculate the Jets draft picks and so how unsuccessful we have been over the years. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Go calculate the Jets draft picks and so how unsuccessful we have been over the years. 

My point is that most fans of (any team) grossly overestimate how often 1st round picks work out.  IIRC, 50% is the number that gets quoted most often.

Jets' Richardson: Playing LB will 'give me more money'

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000729460/article/jets-richardson-playing-lb-will-give-me-more-money

My guess is his agent starts at 120 million, struggle to see how the Jets can make this happen with so many needs (OL, DB, OLB, +++) and no QB, plus he could hold out creating more drama

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

If it's not a 1st don't bother calling.

Absolutely and it better be equal value to where we picked him at 9 or 10 in 1st round. So if it's a late first they better throw in something else. And you make this trade in a heartbeat. He's going to hold this team hostage when his next contract is up. No way we can pay him.

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Absolutely and it better be equal value to where we picked him at 9 or 10 in 1st round. So if it's a late first they better throw in something else. And you make this trade in a heartbeat. He's going to hold this team hostage when his next contract is up. No way we can pay him.

If Macc is the GM there are some bloated contracts on some older players that if they cut them will free up a lot of money there will be some restructuring as well. 

You find ways to keep your superstars and players that matter. 

8 minutes ago, thshadow said:

My point is that most fans of (any team) grossly overestimate how often 1st round picks work out.  IIRC, 50% is the number that gets quoted most often.

My point is that most fans grossly overestimate a player's worth on their own team, along with overestimating how often teams are willing to part with  a 1st or 2nd round pick for said player.

Just now, RoadFan said:

My point is that most fans grossly overestimate a player's worth on their own team, along with overestimating how often teams are willing to part with  a 1st or 2nd round pick for said player.

Exactly and teams already know that Sheldon is going to demand mad money. 

9 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Agreed.  But if I had my druthers I'm keeping Richardson and deal Wilk.  

9 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Sheldumn will not fetch a 1st!   Same reason you refer to in reverse.  Teams are not going to give up a 1 for a high off-the-field risk player that wants huge money or he could leave as a FA.

Not gonna happen people!

Jets will do well to get a 2nd.  A 3rd is more realistic.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

If Macc is the GM there are some bloated contracts on some older players that if they cut them will free up a lot of money there will be some restructuring as well. 

You find ways to keep your superstars and players that matter. 

Agreed BUT when you are playing a talent like Richardson out of position and have a surplus on the DL it makes more sense to cut ties with him earlier than later and get what you can for him. They waited too long to move Wilk and same thing will happen with SR. He's going to be too expensive to keep anyways. And he's just an accident waiting to happen. 

Just now, Powpow said:

Agreed BUT when you are playing a talent like Richardson out of position and have a surplus on the DL it makes more sense to cut ties with him earlier than later and get what you can for him. They waited too long to move Wilk and same thing will happen with SR. He's going to be too expensive to keep anyways. And he's just an accident waiting to happen. 

Good teams find ways to keep superstar talent like Sheldon Richardson 

2 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Agreed.  But if I had my druthers I'm keep Richardson and deal Wilk.  

Yes me too but Didn't we try and trade Wilk? No one made reasonable offers so we got 'stuck' with him rather than getting a lousy comp pick. 

Just now, Powpow said:

Yes me too but Didn't we try and trade Wilk? No one made reasonable offers so we got 'stuck' with him rather than getting a lousy comp pick. 

That was because his contract was in the wind.  Now that it's stable there is a better platform for negotiations.

10 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Yes, I think that's true also.

Archived