What can Macc do with the Revis contract?

Jetster

This is obviously an albatross for the Jets & his salary isn't nearly commensurate with his play on the field. What are the Jets options?

Could they ask him to take a pay cut or he gets cut? How much is his salary next year? Are we just stuck with him? Harris is a goner next year, Breno? Gone. Also what about Skrine & Gilchrist, neither of whom have earned their contracts. Can we force them to take pay cuts?

I know sometimes guys will take cuts, knowing they would get far less on the open market, or not even get a starting job. Maccs GM tenure will have a lot riding on how he handles these overpaid, underperforming players & hitting on a future QB.

Our only real chance is to just hope that the Pats win the next 3 Super Bowls & Brady and Belichick feel fulfilled & ride off into the sunset. Just having these two in our division has made it even worse for all of us for how many years now?

23 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This is obviously an albatross for the Jets & his salary isn't nearly commensurate with his play on the field. What are the Jets options?

Could they ask him to take a pay cut or he gets cut? How much is his salary next year? Are we just stuck with him? Harris is a goner next year, Breno? Gone. Also what about Skrine & Gilchrist, neither of whom have earned their contracts. Can we force them to take pay cuts?

I know sometimes guys will take cuts, knowing they would get far less on the open market, or not even get a starting job. Maccs GM tenure will have a lot riding on how he handles these overpaid, underperforming players & hitting on a future QB.

Our only real chance is to just hope that the Pats win the next 3 Super Bowls & Brady and Belichick feel fulfilled & ride off into the sunset. Just having these two in our division has made it even worse for all of us for how many years now?

Move him to FS.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

You keep suggesting this but you cannot pay Revis 17 million to be a FS and you don't even know if he'll be any good there. There's no evidence of that being something he would even want to do. 

Why? I would rather pay him 17m to be a productive FS than a bad CB.

He has gone on record as saying he would be fine with it.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000679705/article/jets-darrelle-revis-i-could-eventually-move-to-safety

I dont care about a safety making 17m. I want production for my buck. And if that's the way to get it, than do it

Eventually. Not next year. Eventually. 

And they could cut Revis and upgrade at FS and CB with the money saved. You're delusional if you think this team can afford to pay a guy 17 million to play a position he has never played before, in hopes of extending his career. He isn't changing positions next year. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Eventually. Not next year. Eventually. 

And they could cut Revis and upgrade at FS and CB with the money saved. You're delusional if you think this team can afford to pay a guy 17 million to play a position he has never played before, in hopes of extending his career. He isn't changing positions next year. 

Now you're just splitting hairs.

16 minutes ago, hawk said:

We can cut Revis, for a relatively small cap ($6 Million maybe) hit and The Jets can recoup the small cap hit if a team signs him for that amount.  IIRC.   

If that's true than awesome, unless maybe he wants to move to safety like Woodson did.

Here's the contract numbers link to Jason's site for all the details

<iframe src="http://overthecap.com/contract-embed/980/" width="600" height="351" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Or if that doesn't work

http://overthecap.com/player/darrelle-revis/980/

2017 - Basically 6 mil guarantee cap hit if cut before the season, 15 mil total if he plays for us

Guarantee him some money for year after next and stretch the cap hit making him uncuttable for 2 years. We'all be able to access his transition to free safety and make room for other signings plus we get to keep Revis in green avoiding a PR/ egg on face thing.

Here is the thing; at this point he counts as 15 million on the cap next year. The 8 million is dead cap number. So they are supposed to pay him $7 million.

If you think you can replace him with someone better (or as good and younger) for around 7 million. If not you pay him next year. If you ask him to take a pay cut and he refuses, you have to cut him. So, you have to decide is he worth the 7 million

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

These guys should ALL be cut after the season. Plus Pryor and Giacomini and Clady along with letting Fitz walk. The Jets may also let David Harris walk also, which I wouldn't squawk at. They need to get younger and faster at all these positions. It is time for the owner to come to grips with the fact that Mac and Bowles inherited a bad team and it will take a while to build it back up. Kudos to Bowles for the way the team responded at halftime. I was sure this was a loss.

3 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

These guys should ALL be cut after the season. Plus Pryor and Giacomini and Clady along with letting Fitz walk. The Jets may also let David Harris walk also, which I wouldn't squawk at. They need to get younger and faster at all these positions. It is time for the owner to come to grips with the fact that Mac and Bowles inherited a bad team and it will take a while to build it back up. Kudos to Bowles for the way the team responded at halftime. I was sure this was a loss.

Pryor actually played well today

40 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

The thing about moving Revis to safety is it's best done in a 2-high scheme.  Bowles/Rodgers tend to run a single-high more often and I don't know if that fits Revis's skill set.

Exactly ; they are using the wrong defense for Revis . He needs to contact the receiver at the line of scrimmage . Time to fire the defensive coordinator (whoever he is) .

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Our chance is to blow this mess up and show some patience.   Lose a lot of games for 3 to 4 years while putting the building blocks in place for the 2020 or 2021 season and beyond. Trying to compete with Brady is a waste of time. Own the division when he is done.   

Dead money is 6m.  Another 2m roster bonus so we'd have to cut him before that (whenever that is). His cap # is 15m.  So cutting him saves us 9m on the cap.  ( the 6m is gone no matter what).  

So, the question becomes, can we find someone as skilled as he is or better for under 9m?  I think that has got to be a big yes, considering the way he's been playing.  Hell, replacing him with Burris or Roberts isn't that much of a downgrade and those guys are practically free.          

I think it's time to turn the tide on Revis after holding out twice on the Jets because he didn't think he was being compensated enough for his level of play.

Well, that works both ways and the Jet brass shouldn't have a problem telling him that his contributions to the team RIGHT NOW at this time of his career are way below his compensation & that either gets adjusted or we cut him.

Revis, Fitz. Harris, Skrine, Gilchrist, Mangold, all veterans that are not playing to their contracts. Probably the highest number of any team in the league relative to their salary cap number. So it's no secret why we're struggling & so inconsistent.

Revis was always about Revis. I wish we never brought him back. Even when we finally draft a HOF player we have to get a selfish bastard.

The Jets have failed to address the pass rush situation for years the last legitimate pass rusher we had was John Abraham any secondary in the NFL will be picked apart when the QB has no pressure on him. 

Don't blame Revis for his demise blame the lack of a legitimate pass rush and the correct defensive schemes and coverages being implemented. 

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

Dead money is 6m.  Another 2m roster bonus so we'd have to cut him before that (whenever that is). His cap # is 15m.  So cutting him saves us 9m on the cap.  ( the 6m is gone no matter what).  

So, the question becomes, can we find someone as skilled as he is or better for under 9m?  I think that has got to be a big yes, considering the way he's been playing.  Hell, replacing him with Burris or Roberts isn't that much of a downgrade and those guys are practically free.          

I think the question is going to be for Revis.   Does he want a "fair" wage and ride out the last few years of his career in NY, or does he want a series of 1-year deals with the highest bidder?    

No chance he is making $16M next season so he can either look for a new team or he can renegotiate to something more commensurate with his level of play.  

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

9513003A-C607-420B-89C5-E8A57CCB369B_zps

.....and who wants the jersey of a nobody WR who pwned him. 

SAR I

SAR I jersey exchange seems to be common practice around the NFL these days,sadly you have chosen to direct your hate towards Revis that used to spewed on Geno Smith.

Hard to believe you preach rant and rave about fans in ticket threads and you yourself take part in nonsense like this.

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000679705/article/jets-darrelle-revis-i-could-eventually-move-to-safety

I dont care about a safety making 17m. I want production for my buck. And if that's the way to get it, than do it

Production for your buck is to cut revis,sign a FS who would be better at FS than revis, and a cb who will play just as good as revis (which wouldn't be hard ). Both would cost combined 17 mil tops. That's two better players for the price of revis  

Archived