2017 Team Possibilities

BrickTamland

Within the realm of possibility is a team that resembles the below. Highlighted players are additions through draft or FA.

(Formatting may be a bit messed up.)

QB:

1.     Bryce Petty

2.     Christian Hackenberg

3.     Brad Kaaya (2-38)

NT:

1.     Steve McLendon

2.     Deon Simon

RB:

1.     Matt Forte

2.     Bilal Powell

3.     Royce Freeman (3-70)

DE:

1.     Muhammad Wilkerson

2.     Leonard Williams

3.     Jarvis Jenkins

WR:

1.     Brandon Marshall

2.     Eric Decker

3.     Quincy Enunwa

4.     Robbie Anderson

5.     Jalin Smith

6.     Devin Smith

7.     Charone Peake

ILB:

1.     Darron Lee

2.     Bruce Carter

3.     Taiwan Jones

TE:

1.     Austin Sefarian-Jenkins

2.     Brandon Bostick

OLB:

1.     Jarvis Jenkins

2.     Lorenzo Mauldin

3.     Victor Ochi

LT:

1.     Matt Kalil (FA)

2.     __

CB:

1.     Morris Claiborne (FA)

2.     Justin Burris

3.     Buster Skrine

4.     Darryl Roberts

5.     Marcus Williams

LG:

1.     James Harrison

S:

1.     Jabrill Peppers (1-6)

2.     Calvin Pryor

3.     Rontez Miles

C:

1.     Wesley Johnson

2.     Mason Cole (3-80)

RG:

1.     Brian Winters

RT

1.     Ben Ijalana

2.     Brent Qvale

3.     Brandon Shell

Jesus that's a terrible team. Is this supposing they get only a 3rd rounder for Sheldon? You have Jarvis Jenkins at DE and LB. That should be Jordan. James Harrison is not the Jets LG, that's James Carpenter. I can't see them getting rid of both Clady and Mangold. Not a chance they go into 2017 with those three at QB. That's not even a remote possibility. And god help us if they take a safety at 6 overall. 

23 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Jesus that's a terrible team. Is this supposing they get only a 3rd rounder for Sheldon? You have Jarvis Jenkins at DE and LB. That should be Jordan. James Harrison is not the Jets LG, that's James Carpenter. I can't see them getting rid of both Clady and Mangold. Not a chance they go into 2017 with those three at QB. That's not even a remote possibility. And god help us if they take a safety at 6 overall. 

Lol...you know what else is a terrible team? The 2016 jets. Also, typos and  brain farts aside, you knew exactly who I was talking about.

---

the point of the chart was not to guess who we will actually take, but to point out the positions where we probably have old vets leaving to be replaced by young ones, and places where we are spending way too much money for no reason. I tried making suggestions based on who might be available.

Revis, Mangold, Clady, Harris, Gilchrist, Giacomini, all crappy or rapidly declining. What's the point in holding on?

Perhaps yourd right that that they won't get rid of clady and mangold, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't. As u probably know, mangold has been missing time this year...do you think it has killed us? It hasn't. Do you think clady has been good? He hasn't.

Peppers is exciting. I don't disagree with your thinking that safety is wrong for the 6th pick. But unless we go Oline, theres no one that stands out on offense (maybe rb) who would justify that selection...although a QB might a case by the time that draft rolls around.

Final points:

Yes Sheldon for a 3rd this year and another the following year.

i think Royce freeman will kill it in the nfl.

i know nothing about the Center I took but I wanted new talent to be developing on the OL.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my list. Similar but different. Only have draft picks from rounds 1-4. Am not including some depth guys. 

QB: Petty, Hack, Hoyer (FA) (in no particular order, the hope here is that Petty or Hack earn the starting gig and Hoyer backs up). No rookie QB. Romo is also an option (relax Jets fans, at least its an upgrade). I know Jets fans don;t want to hear this, but if neither Petty nor HAck show enough to start, Hoyer is a solid, cheap veteran QB who can fill in. 

RB: Forte, Powell, C.McCaffrey (Stanford, Rd. 3)

TE: B.Bostik, ASJ,  Jordan Leggett (Clemson, Rd. 4) 

WR: Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, D.Smith, R.Anderson, J.Marshall, C.Peake

OT: S.Vollmer (FA), B.Qvale, B.Shell, B.Ijalana,  Mike McGlinchey (Notre Dame, Rd. 1) 

OG: Winters, Carpenter, Dozier

C: Mangold, W.Johnson 

DE/DT: Wilk, L.Williams, A.Johnson

NT: S.McLendon, D.Simon

ILB: B. Carter, D.Lee, J.Martin, T.Jones

OLB: J.Collins (FA), J.Jenkins, Mauldin, M.Catapano 

CB: Prince Amukamara (FA), J.Burris, Skrine, M.Williams, D.Roberts, Quincy Wilson (Florida, Rd. 2), D.McDougle

S:  C.Pryor, R.Milez, Jamal Adams (LSU, Rd. 2),D.Middleton, R.Martin

Key Departures: Harris, Clady, Breno, Gilchrist, Revis, Fitz, Richardson (traded for a 2nd round pick)  

Key Acquisitions: J.Collins, Amukamara, S.Vollmer, Hoyer

Key players retained: Mangold, Ijalana 

Draft picks: Rd. 1-  Mike McGlinchey, Rd. 2- Jamal Adams, Rd. 2- Quincy Wilson, Rd. 3- C.McCaffrey, Rd. 4- Jordan Leggett   

Misc. notes on your draft: I don't like Kaaya as an NFL prospect and I don't believe the Jets can go into the season with Petty, Hack and another developmental rookie. I like Freeman but not as much as I like McCaffrey. If the Jets are able to get him in the 3rd (with a high 3rd round selection) they should pull the trigger. Peppers is overrated. He's fast, exciting to watch and versatile. He's a great athlete. taking him so high is crazy, IMO. If you look at both as purely playing the safety position, Peppers is not as good of a prospect as Adams (IMO), who I have the Jets taking in Rd. 2. I don't know much about Cole either but I'm going to assume he's not a top O-line prospect. I think its crazy that you don;t have the Jets taking a top tier OT in this draft, even with the FA signing of Kalil. I also don't think the Jets can continue to dismiss the TE position. I have them drafting a balanced TE prospect who can develop into a 3 down TE with both pass catching and blocking ability. This dude is big, strong and has soft hands.      

What do ya'll think. Very doable financially (unless the Jets go for Romo). Would have to get a bit lucky in the draft. QB would still be the biggest question. Obviously not sure all of these FAs will want to play for the Jets. 

6 hours ago, PepPep said:

Here's my list. Similar but different. Only have draft picks from rounds 1-4. Am not including some depth guys. 

QB: Petty, Hack, Hoyer (FA) (in no particular order, the hope here is that Petty or Hack earn the starting gig and Hoyer backs up). No rookie QB. Romo is also an option (relax Jets fans, at least its an upgrade). I know Jets fans don;t want to hear this, but if neither Petty nor HAck show enough to start, Hoyer is a solid, cheap veteran QB who can fill in. 

OT: S.Vollmer (FA), B.Qvale, B.Shell, B.Ijalana,  Mike McGlinchey (Notre Dame, Rd. 1) 

CB: Prince Amukamara (FA), J.Burris, Skrine, M.Williams, D.Roberts, Quincy Wilson (Florida, Rd. 2), D.McDougle

Key Departures: Harris, Clady, Breno, Gilchrist, Revis, Fitz, Richardson (traded for a 2nd round pick)  

Draft picks: Rd. 1-  Mike McGlinchey, Rd. 2- Jamal Adams, Rd. 2- Quincy Wilson, Rd. 3- C.McCaffrey, Rd. 4- Jordan Leggett   

Misc. notes on your draft: I don't like Kaaya as an NFL prospect and I don't believe the Jets can go into the season with Petty, Hack and another developmental rookie. I like Freeman but not as much as I like McCaffrey. If the Jets are able to get him in the 3rd (with a high 3rd round selection) they should pull the trigger. Peppers is overrated. He's fast, exciting to watch and versatile. He's a great athlete. taking him so high is crazy, IMO. If you look at both as purely playing the safety position, Peppers is not as good of a prospect as Adams (IMO), who I have the Jets taking in Rd. 2. I don't know much about Cole either but I'm going to assume he's not a top O-line prospect. I think its crazy that you don;t have the Jets taking a top tier OT in this draft, even with the FA signing of Kalil. I also don't think the Jets can continue to dismiss the TE position. I have them drafting a balanced TE prospect who can develop into a 3 down TE with both pass catching and blocking ability. This dude is big, strong and has soft hands.      

What do ya'll think. Very doable financially (unless the Jets go for Romo). Would have to get a bit lucky in the draft. QB would still be the biggest question. Obviously not sure all of these FAs will want to play for the Jets. 

McCaffrey will go back end of the 1st, top of the 2nd round, he is a versatile player who can line up in the back field, and out wide, and can also be used as a returner on specials.

If the Jets have 2 2nd rounders I'd really like them to draft TE Jake Butt, I have a funny feeling he some how ends up in NE, and him, and Gronk tear up the league.

Peppers is not overrated, he is a special athlete, he would excel as a LB/S tweener, but the Jets already drafted one of those in the first round last year in Lee so he is probably off the table for the Jets.

I agree like you said it's OT in the 1st round, if they don't take a OT early (only way I'd be ok with not grabbing best OT available in 1st would be if a QB fell in there lap even thou I don't see a QB worthy of a high pick this year, but that still could change, or the DE from Texas A&M fell in their laps) this regime is clueless. 

It's time to build it back up from the inside out, they have the inside on D, now they need to get the inside on O reestablished like they did in 2006 via the draft, and then 2018 make a big time splash signing to establish a very good to hopefully great OL, and come 2018 if the OL is great the Jets will be a very good team even with a Jag at QB.

I would love to see the departure of some dead weight this next off season. Giacommini, Revis, Clady, Harris (though I like Harris). Trade Sheldon for a 3rd rounder rebuild the O line with the top pick or two and a decent free agent. Then draft a safety, balanced tight end, and a big back. Let Petty, Hack, and some FA duel it out.

Woody hires a Pres of Football Op

Then we have to get our coach to start coaching.

16 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

McCaffrey will go back end of the 1st, top of the 2nd round, he is a versatile player who can line up in the back field, and out wide, and can also be used as a returner on specials.

If the Jets have 2 2nd rounders I'd really like them to draft TE Jake Butt, I have a funny feeling he some how ends up in NE, and him, and Gronk tear up the league.

Peppers is not overrated, he is a special athlete, he would excel as a LB/S tweener, but the Jets already drafted one of those in the first round last year in Lee so he is probably off the table for the Jets.

I agree like you said it's OT in the 1st round, if they don't take a OT early (only way I'd be ok with not grabbing best OT available in 1st would be if a QB fell in there lap even thou I don't see a QB worthy of a high pick this year, but that still could change, or the DE from Texas A&M fell in their laps) this regime is clueless. 

It's time to build it back up from the inside out, they have the inside on D, now they need to get the inside on O reestablished like they did in 2006 via the draft, and then 2018 make a big time splash signing to establish a very good to hopefully great OL, and come 2018 if the OL is great the Jets will be a very good team even with a Jag at QB.

Some good points here. Here's my rebuttal. 

1. Its really hard to tell where McCaffrey (or any player) will go in the draft this early. If McCaffrey doesn;t run a great 40 he will slip immediately. RBs do not get drafted very high and there already AT LEAST 2 clear cut RBs that are going ahead of him in the draft Fournette and Cook. Then you have guys like Kamara out of Tenn and Samuel out of Ohio State that are more elite speed RBs with versatility that some NFL teams really like. It really depends. But like I said, we woudl have to get a little lucky with my predicted draft picks. McCaffrey could very well go in the first round if he impresses at the combine.

2. I like Jake Butt. And there are other TEs that would be offensive weapons in the NFL and cause all kinds of miss-matches. Guys like Engram out of Ole Miss. and Hikutni out of Louisville. But the Jets have Enunwa, who fills that role nicely. What they really need is a balanced TE who can block and be a receiving threat. A guy that can develop into a 3 down TE. Butt, Engram and other athletic receiving TEs coming out this year have deficiencies blocking, that could keep them off the field.

3. Peppers is overrated for early first round consideration. IMO. And yes, I agree that the Jets, essentially, drafted the type of player Peppers will be in the NFL when they took Lee. If the Jets want an impact FS, there are plenty of great options outside of the first round that fit the position better than Peppers. I just happen to really like Adams.

4. I agree RE: the 1st round pick. It will def. depend on who is there. If Garrett falls to them, its a no-brainer, much like the L.Williams pick. If McGlinchey is off the board then you don't take an O-lineman, rather you take BPA or you trade down. These things are hard to predict with certainty.

I don't see a QB worthy of the pick either. And frankly, I don't think the Jets can go into the season with Petty, Hack and a rookie unless Petty or Hack prove they can be the starter. Unless, of course, the Jets are open to keeping 4 QBs on the roster again. But if they take a QB in the first, what does that say about their faith in Hack- who they took in the 2nd last year and haven't given a chance to play yet? I'm all for drafting QBs until you get it right, but A. the Jets don;t know if they 'got it right' with Hack yet, b/c he has yet to play. and B. At some point you HAVE to take into account the other talent on the board and the other team needs. Drafting a QB in the first, even if its the top QB available, does not seem prudent for the Jets at this point- considering the needs, current players on the roster and uninspiring QB talent available in the draft.    

• 2 weeks later...
On November 22, 2016 at 0:50 PM, PepPep said:

Nice. I don't disagree with your criticisms of mine. I just tried to get the best player at each potential pick and to maximize value on free agency. Kaaya seemed like a good pick at that place at the time. But maybe he has dropped by this point. 

Will have to do new one of these since it's like 6 weeks later now. Will be fun.

I don't see the point in a hoyer type of signing. Cuz he is just a little better than sucking.

At this point, however, I think the clearest thing --which was hated on by several-- is that we have a bunch of old crappy vets that gotta go, and will take a big chunk of money off our books.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually really like both Brick and Peppep's ideas. I think its vital that we dont go after a vet QB because media/fans will demand he play in order to win the most games. I do not believe we can win more than 4/5 games next year given our opponents. (Chiefs,Chargers,Falcons, Panthers, Broncos, Raiders, Saints, Bucs) 

That said next year is for developing our young bucks. Let the 3 qbs duke it out over camp and give it to who shows the most promise and let them see the field. 

Spot on with the cuts, although Marshall might be a casualty as well. Doubt he comes back at a discount. 

Round 1 should be BPA, 2,3,4 should all be o-line and DBs unless someone crazy falls. RB in 5 cause forte probably gone after next year. Id rather see powell more tbh. 

On 11/4/2016 at 9:14 AM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Listen. The Jets are probably going to suck next year, if they take this rebuilding thing seriously.

It honestly should have been done last year, but Macc didnt want to be run out of town and he had a ton of money to spend

Potential LT?

Troy offensive tackle Antonio Garcia continues his rise up draft boards.  He looked terrific during the Dollar General Bowl and most scouts feel he’s cemented himself as a second day pick.  One of his primary opponents during the game, Ohio’s Tarell Basham who is also rated as a second day pick, was complimentary of Garcia telling people he’s an explosive, workhorse tackle who plays through the whistle.

Garcia is drawing comparisons to Levi Jones and many feel he could slide into the late part of round one with a good showing during the Senior Bowl.  I spent time speaking with Garcia a few days ago and found him to be polite and very respectful.  Garcia needs to get stronger, which will improve his run blocking, and show a little more confidence in his outstanding potential so he can take his game to the next level.  Right now he’s the fastest rising tackle on boards.

http://draftanalyst.com/da-draft-buzz-december-27th

http://www.troytrojans.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5363

Here is mine 1st stab

QB...Petty, Hack, FA vet min

RB...Forte, Powell, john Connor (Pitt)

OL...Robinson,Carpenter,Pocic,Wesley,Shell

TE...Bostik,ASJ,OJ Howard

WR...BMarsh,Decker,Q,RAnderson,Peake,JMarsh,DSmith....JMarsh and DSmith have to show in PS

DE...Mo,Leo

NT...Simon

LB...Chandler Jones, Rub Foster, Lee, Jenkins

CB...Gilmore, Dwayne Thomas, Burress 

S....Eric Berry, Miles, Pryor

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

He's a little light in the rear for a LT ,but he might make a nice LG for a zone blocking team

Ah. For the record I wasn't saying Jets at #6. But if he fell to 2nd round and was a legit LT why not. But doesn't sound like a fit. 

Archived