Trades we should make, but won't. Because: Jets

Integrity28

Matt Forte to the Packers for a conditional 6th round pick (that can go up to a 5th if he plays more than 8 games, or something like that)

They've got nobody at RB. We've got a splinter of a chance of having a relevant season. We should be giving Powell the majority of touches, to see if he can be a "bellcow", and seeing what we have in Troymaine Pope. Continuing to push Forte for 20+ touches a game does nothing to evaluate our future at RB. Forte would be a good fit in the Packers offense, and he deserves to be part of any NFC team that would beat the Pats in the SB.

Brandon Marshall to the Panthers for a 4th round pick

Their defense is a mess, like ours. However, they've got the weapons on offense to win on one side of the ball, but they need player that puts them over the top. Brandon does that. Cam is exactly the type of QB that Marshall does well with, he improvises well (like Fitz) but has a cannon for an arm (like Cutler). Marshall, Kelvin and Olsen creates mismatches all over the field. Even though the Panthers have as terrible a record as us, they've got 2 things going for them... they have a QB, and they are in the NFC where the division and wildcards are still within reach.

Sheldon Richardson (or Mo Wilkerson) to the Colts for a 2nd round pick

The Colts are losing on defense. Eventually they'll have to realize that they've got to get better on that side of the ball. Either of these guys can step right in and have an immediate impact on that DL in Pagano's version of the 3-4 defense. Ideally, the Colts find a way to protect Andrew Luck better, but not being a sieve on defense is an equal priority. 

One of our RT's to the Vikings for a 6th-7th round pick

The Vikings OL is going to cost them a deep playoff run. See how desperate they are, and go get a draft pick.

Not worth it to trade Richardson that cheap (as in a lower than a 2nd) imo.  Better to let him walk and collect a comp pick.  I would not deal Marshall for what you would get.  Forte I would trade but the jets don;t seem to value RBs', that position has been neglected badly under this regime imo.

Neither Sheldon nor Mo are worth a 2nd.

Marshall will not get us close to a 4th.  Nor a 5th.

6th round picks are irrelevant.

Sorry, we're not really carrying the kind of tradable talent that makes it worth trading them.  

And until we're eliminated, we're not selling the limited talent we do have.  

The NFL isn't MLB, there is no big "Trade deadline" flurry of activity in this league.  

It's not because "we're the Jets", it's because this is the NFL, and we're not out of the running yet, and our talent is worth more to us than a 6th round or 7th round pick.

I agree with you on Powell > Forte btw, but like seeing Petty, we won't see that (if ever) until we're out of contention.

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not worth it to trade Richardson that cheap (as in a lower than a 2nd) imo.  Better to let him walk and collect a comp pick.  I would not deal Marshall for what you would get.  Forte I would trade but the jets don;t seem to value RBs', that position has been neglected badly under this regime imo.

If this regime didn't value RBs, then they wouldn't have handed out 3 RB contracts this preseason in FA. Remember, they brought Powell back, and signed both Forte and Khiry. 

I think they do value them very much, which is why they rebuilt the whole backfield with savvy veteran players, but nothing has really gone the way I think they intended this year. 

The Jets have never been good at landing RBs, generally speaking. 

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I love when we try to pretend the football deadline is like the baseball deadline.

Would you prefer arguing about Geno, Sanchez or Rex? Most of those arguments rely exclusively on hypotheticals, so why not entertain these hypotheticals for the sake of a discussion that's not exhausted with redundancy?

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The NFL isn't MLB

There's really no reason for anyone to point this out, and yet, so many of you like to do it. Why?

You guys will beat your heads against the wall "debating" the most intangible, improbably, hypothetical nonsense for months at a time... but when someone suggests a trade, it's "OH NO GUYS NFL ISN"T MLB THIS ISN"T MADDEN DUH".

It's kind of ironic.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Would you prefer arguing about Geno, Sanchez or Rex? Most of those arguments rely exclusively on hypotheticals, so why not entertain these hypotheticals for the sake of a discussion that's not exhausted with redundancy?

I wish we were arguing about which of our Super Bowl winning teams was the best but this is football not baseball.  BB can do what he wants b/c he has Brady to rescue him and many of his moves through the years have cost NE more chances at SBs so as great as they have been they should have been better if not for many of his failed moves as GM that look good b/c they keep winning b/c of Brady.  1st rd picks can be crapshoots, giving away best players for late round picks? for what?  we should have moved Mo when we had the chance and used that money for Sheldon.  we blew that.

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If this regime didn't value RBs, then they wouldn't have handed out 3 RB contracts this preseason in FA. Remember, they brought Powell back, and signed both Forte and Khiry. 

I think they do value them very much, which is why they rebuilt the whole backfield with savvy veteran players, but nothing has really gone the way I think they intended this year. 

they got ivory cheap, he was good for a few years.  they got tomlinson cheap.  they got thomas jones cheap.  curtis martin was good for a while.  now forte and powell are fine.  they problems on offense have been due to the qb.

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

There's really no reason for anyone to point this out, and yet, so many of you like to do it. Why?

Because is it the reality we live in.

Your ideas are fine, they're just 100% unrealistic in the modern business of the NFL.  

NFL teams do not firesale like MLB teams.

If so many point this out, you may want to consider why you're ignoring it, not what might be wrong with those pointing it out, lol.

Like I said, the Forte trade is fine by me, Marshall is not (whichever young QB we play this year will need him, I'm not repeating the Geno-has-no-weapons thing again).  Mo or Sheldon, fine I suppose, although I think they're poor showing is more on Bowles than on them.  Absolute no on trading O-line talent, sorry, I just don;t do that, and certainly not for a 6th round pick. 

To me, none of these trade are worth it for the Jets.

The talent trumps whatever draft picks we get. Unless you are talking about a straight salary dump. In which case, they don't need to do this at the trade deadline, especially since, 'technically' the Jets can still make it into the playoffs.

To be honest, I would wait it out with Richardson. I know it seems like he simply doesn't fit and somebody (him or Mo) have to go, but it's pretty obvious the coaching staff has done an bad job utilizing all three (Williams, Mo and Sheldon). If anything, wait until the draft to make this kind of trade. But I personally think there is a way to use all three effectively- be it a 4-3 or rotating them or hybrid defense where they do BOTH- switch to a 4-3 at times, as well as rotate. But playing Richardson an MLB is obviously not the answer.  

Also, why in the world would you trade one of our cheap RT's (unless its Breno- who nobody would touch with a ten foot pole), one of whom is young (Qvale), when OT is our weakest position and Clady (for all we know) may be a goner next year. Who would play RT and LT for us? For a worthless 6th or 7th round pick no less. 

17 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I didn't communicate my feelings properly with my comment.  This FO does not value young stud cheap RBS, and developmental guys.  We sign old expensive vets or injured vets (Ridley, robinson) and neglect an important position.  There are a lot of good young RB's out there and we have guys near the end of the road.

41 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There won't be any comp pick because Maccagnan will just sign more UFAs to cancel out any we were otherwise due.

20 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I wish we were arguing about which of our Super Bowl winning teams was the best but this is football not baseball.  BB can do what he wants b/c he has Brady to rescue him and many of his moves through the years have cost NE more chances at SBs so as great as they have been they should have been better if not for many of his failed moves as GM that look good b/c they keep winning b/c of Brady.  1st rd picks can be crapshoots, giving away best players for late round picks? for what?  we should have moved Mo when we had the chance and used that money for Sheldon.  we blew that.

Nobody brought up BB. Not sure what most of this response has to do with anything. That said, I agree, we should have moved Mo and paid Sheldon. 

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Because is it the reality we live in.

Your ideas are fine, they're just 100% unrealistic in the modern business of the NFL.  

NFL teams do not firesale like MLB teams.

If so many point this out, you may want to consider why you're ignoring it, not what might be wrong with those pointing it out, lol.

Like I said, the Forte trade is fine by me, Marshall is not (whichever young QB we play this year will need him, I'm not repeating the Geno-has-no-weapons thing again).  Mo or Sheldon, fine I suppose, although I think they're poor showing is more on Bowles than on them.  Absolute no on trading O-line talent, sorry, I just don;t do that, and certainly not for a 6th round pick. 

I made the post with the full understanding that it's unrealistic. You've known me long enough to know that. I don't see the point it pointing it out. I created a thread as a through-starter, to talk about something other than QB bickering. 

No reason to point out the contrast with MLB. It's a given. I much prefer the insights about player valuation and mapping skill sets to other team needs across the league, which is what I did.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I didn't communicate my feelings properly with my comment.  This FO does not value young stud cheap RBS, and developmental guys.  We sign old expensive vets or injured vets (Ridley, robinson) and neglect an important position.  There are a lot of good young RB's out there and we have guys near the end of the road.

Oh, gotcha. I actually don't mind the FO strategy for this. It's about the valuation of draft picks. I talked a lot about this in the preseason when these contracts got handed out. 3 RBs annual salary = 1 salary of a top corner, WR or QB, in terms of new contracts. So, use the draft picks to stock up on high-cost positions, while using a small portion of cap space to build the RB position from known commodities. 

Given that Forte is being used wrong, Khiry got hurt, and Powell is being under-utilized, we're still seeing that the running game is the most consistent (which isn't saying much) part of the whole offense. So, I feel like this approach works. Needed better luck with Khiry though, he'd have been great between the tackles with Forte being a receiver out of the backfield. It had the right vision behind it.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Nobody brought up BB. Not sure what most of this response has to do with anything. That said, I agree, we should have moved Mo and paid Sheldon. 

he's always active w/ trades and just had a big one yesterday.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I thought that was a bad trade in the short term and will hurt them in the playoffs. It's a 100% long term trade. They did not want to pay Collins and traded him while they could get some value. But he is their BEST defensive player and a major asset in the pass rush. It's hard to argue with BB, maybe he simply thinks their offense is so potent, losing a stud pass rusher is no big deal, especially if you don't plan to keep him long term. But I don't agree. If NE has any weakness its the pass defense. Losing a pass rusher could really hurt them when they face a team like, oh, I dunno, the Raiders for example in the playoffs.

But maybe this is why the Pats are so good year in, year out? Shrewd, money saving moves like this?  Well, no, its probably because of Brady.     

16 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I made the post with the full understanding that it's unrealistic. You've known me long enough to know that.

Oh.  You give me too much credit.  But fair enough, of course.  Was no harm intended in my reply, for the record.

I created a thread as a through-starter, to talk about something other than QB bickering. 

Indeed, which is why I added my feelings on each of the proposed trade scenarios as well. :D

I much prefer the insights about player valuation and mapping skill sets to other team needs across the league, which is what I did.

Gotcha.  Well, my reply on the trades themselves covered my feelings on that aspect.  

Why does everyone want the Jets to give up on the season with the schedule they have in front of them right now? Why not, ya know, try and win these next 2 winnable games and go into your BYE week preparing for a home game against New England at 5-5...

I mean seriously, I know Fitz isn't the answer and we lost Decker. But we saw this offense perform well against this type of schedule last season. They've won 2 in a row and have showed signs of life. Why trade Matt Forte for a 6th round pick????? Why dump one of the best receivers we've ever had for a mid round day 2 pick????? I bet you could get more for Sheldon or Mo in the offseason when you can build a better market for him.

Outside of the 3 team in the AFC West we are right there with a bunch of other teams record wise. The majority of the second tier teams have 4 and 3 wins. We have 3, with an easy schedule going forward. Why not try and fight it out with these teams, hope a team like Oakland, Denver, or KC stumble, and see where we end up? If we fall out of it, go to Petty, and then you can decide if you want to make those moves in the offseason.

22 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Read the thread title. The opening post. Nothing to do with Belicheat. There's another thread where his trade is being discussed.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Oh.  You give me too much credit.  But fair enough, of course.  Was no harm intended in my reply, for the record.

Indeed, which is why I added my feelings on each of the proposed trade scenarios as well. :D

Gotcha.  Well, my reply on the trades themselves covered my feelings on that aspect.  

This doesn't preclude me from chastising you, because you can take it, versus the others who will drag it out for a week while I make them look stupid.

10 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Why does everyone want the Jets to give up on the season with the schedule they have in front of them right now? Why not, ya know, try and win these next 2 winnable games and go into your BYE week preparing for a home game against New England at 5-5...

I mean seriously, I know Fitz isn't the answer and we lost Decker. But we saw this offense perform well against this type of schedule last season. They've won 2 in a row and have showed signs of life. Why trade Matt Forte for a 6th round pick????? Why dump one of the best receivers we've ever had for a mid round day 2 pick????? I bet you could get more for Sheldon or Mo in the offseason when you can build a better market for him.

Outside of the 3 team in the AFC West we are right there with a bunch of other teams record wise. The majority of the second tier teams have 4 and 3 wins. We have 3, with an easy schedule going forward. Why not try and fight it out with these teams, hope a team like Oakland, Denver, or KC stumble, and see where we end up? If we fall out of it, go to Petty, and then you can decide if you want to make those moves in the offseason.

It's not really about giving up on the season. They are hypothetical trades. None of it will actually happen, but it's sport to discuss.

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It's not really about giving up on the season. They are hypothetical trades. None of it will actually happen, but it's sport to discuss.

It is though. Your thread title is trades the Jets should make. Making any one of those trades hurts the teams chances at a playoff spot this season- in a big way. Even trading one of the RT's. So you have to assume these trades would only be made if the Jets were giving up on the season, hypothetical or not. Obviously they are not going to happen. 

The thread should really be 'trades the Jets should not make but are being floated around in the media'.  

If we are going to discuss trades, let's actually talk trades that may help the Jets this year. If the Browns are having a fire sale (are they?) why not go after Haden? The Jags are awful, maybe they would be willing to deal us Julius Thomas- who has struggled ever since he joined the Jags. Maybe the Niners are willing to move J.Staley for the right price?  How about going after Z.Miller or Eddie Royal stuck on the pathetic Bears? 

Just saying. 

30 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This doesn't preclude me from chastising you, because you can take it, versus the others who will drag it out for a week while I make them look stupid.

Well, I COULD drag it out for a week if you like.  You know, for entertainment value! :lol:

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Matt Forte to the Packers for a conditional 6th round pick (that can go up to a 5th if he plays more than 8 games, or something like that)

They've got nobody at RB. We've got a splinter of a chance of having a relevant season. We should be giving Powell the majority of touches, to see if he can be a "bellcow", and seeing what we have in Troymaine Pope. Continuing to push Forte for 20+ touches a game does nothing to evaluate our future at RB. Forte would be a good fit in the Packers offense, and he deserves to be part of any NFC team that would beat the Pats in the SB.

Brandon Marshall to the Panthers for a 4th round pick

Their defense is a mess, like ours. However, they've got the weapons on offense to win on one side of the ball, but they need player that puts them over the top. Brandon does that. Cam is exactly the type of QB that Marshall does well with, he improvises well (like Fitz) but has a cannon for an arm (like Cutler). Marshall, Kelvin and Olsen creates mismatches all over the field. Even though the Panthers have as terrible a record as us, they've got 2 things going for them... they have a QB, and they are in the NFC where the division and wildcards are still within reach.

Sheldon Richardson (or Mo Wilkerson) to the Colts for a 2nd round pick

The Colts are losing on defense. Eventually they'll have to realize that they've got to get better on that side of the ball. Either of these guys can step right in and have an immediate impact on that DL in Pagano's version of the 3-4 defense. Ideally, the Colts find a way to protect Andrew Luck better, but not being a sieve on defense is an equal priority. 

One of our RT's to the Vikings for a 6th-7th round pick

The Vikings OL is going to cost them a deep playoff run. See how desperate they are, and go get a draft pick.

The only one I would do is Richardson. 

Why would the Panthers trade for Marshall when they are essentially out of it?

We need the OL depth for not just this year but next year.

I dont want Powell to be burned out by getting all the carries. Keep Forte here. One of the reasons Powell is so effective is because he doesn't get overworked.

16 minutes ago, PepPep said:

It is though. Your thread title is trades the Jets should make. Making any one of those trades hurts the teams chances at a playoff spot this season- in a big way. Even trading one of the RT's. So you have to assume these trades would only be made if the Jets were giving up on the season, hypothetical or not. Obviously they are not going to happen. 

The thread should really be 'trades the Jets should not make but are being floated around in the media'.  

If we are going to discuss trades, let's actually talk trades that may help the Jets this year. If the Browns are having a fire sale (are they?) why not go after Haden? The Jags are awful, maybe they would be willing to deal us Julius Thomas- who has struggled ever since he joined the Jags. Maybe the Niners are willing to move J.Staley for the right price?  How about going after Z.Miller or Eddie Royal stuck on the pathetic Bears? 

Just saying. 

Why would I name the thread that? These threads are my opinion. I'm not going to debate the merits of the thread title, LOL

Some of these responses are beyond absurd. It's clear that this ******* team has worn out the fanbase once again... 

Archived