Steady Stanford a Threat to Lee’s Snaps

JetNation

Julian Stanford led all Jets linebackers with six tackles.

By Glenn Naughton

When the New York Jets inside linebacker corps was  decimated in a matter of days due to injuries (Darron Lee, Bruce Carter) and one non-injury designation (Erin Henderson), things looked bleak for their already struggling defense.

With a recently injured David Harris left as the only proven starter on the depth chart, Gang Green turned to pre-season standout Julian Stanford who had been residing on the Jets practice squad.  Stanford made the Jets initial 53-man roster out of training camp but was demoted when he was caught up in a numbers game.

Now, after just two games, Stanford’s play has been stellar enough to lead fans to wonder what his performance will mean for Lee, the team’s first-round draft pick, when he returns.

Stanford has 12 tackles in just over 7 quarters of play.

Stanford has 12 tackles in just over 7 quarters of play.

Lee has been the Jets leading tackler up to this point, but the team has also seen him struggle in coverage where Stanford has been at least as good, if not better.

In his most extensive work of the season up to that point against Baltimore, Stanford made his presence felt up front leading all Jets linebackers with 8 tackles (6 solo) in relief of the injured Carter.  It was a record-setting performance for the Jets defense as they allowed just six yards on the ground.

In this week’s 31-28 win against the Cleveland Browns, it was a beleaguered secondary that saw most of the action on defense as Josh McCown carved the unit up for over 340 yards passing, but again, Stanford led all linebackers with 5 tackles (3 solo).

Once he returns, does Lee go back to seeing the lions share of reps, or will the Jets continue to find ways to get Stanford involved in the game plan from week-to-week?  At least for the time being, Stanford has played well enough to at least garner consideration for regular playing time, even if it means taking snaps away from Lee from time to time.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Ot8XdEa2RmQ

Click here to read the full story...

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Mauldin to me should be strictly a pass rusher. I think the Jets made a mistake trying to make him into something he isn;t/

Mauldin belongs on the field more. He, Leo and Sheldon have the best motors on this roster. One is on the bench, the other is being shopped in trades. 

Ponder that.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He'll be back on the pine.  It's the Bowles way.

This is the kind of comment that I see from time to time.  What is it based on?

I think it fair to say in the NFL it is quite common for the CS to prefer playing vets who have a track record of production over younger players who do not.  Yeah sure younger players only get that chance if they can get on the field, but still it is the general approach and one that makes sense to me that you play the guy with the track record until, at some point, the track record turns negative.

Assessing when that turn occurs is the hard part.  No doubt some do it better than others.  But no successful CS arbitrarily sits vets just to see what a younger player can do. 

Another hard part and what you seem to be talking about is when a younger player DOES get a shot, and plays well, is that play better  than the vet you might be thinking of replacing with the younger player. 

Of course in this case you might be thinking of Lee sitting rather than Harris, so there is that.  So Lee returns from injury, the first round pick, and he sits to let Stanford play instead?

I think if Bowles does not make that move, I don't see Bowles as differnet than most NFL coaches in a situation of that sort.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Mauldin belongs on the field more. He, Leo and Sheldon have the best motors on this roster. One is on the bench, the other is being shopped in trades. 

Ponder that.

Mauldin's motor was slowed down because of him bulking up. Dumb. 

As for Sheldon, I compare it to what the Yankees did. Traded from a position of strength

And once again, Jets fans turned on Wilkerson very quickly.

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Harris will be gone next year. Love him, had a nice career with us, but its time to move on. 

Standford, Lee, Jenkins, and a newly drafted OLB. I like Mauldin, but not convinced he's an every down player yet.

Notwithstanding what I said in my previous post which concenrs this year, really right now with Harris back from his brief injury rest, I agree it is more likely than not Harris will be gone, or return with a different role at a different rate.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Mauldin's motor was slowed down because of him bulking up. Dumb. 

As for Sheldon, I compare it to what the Yankees did. Traded from a position of strength

And once again, Jets fans turned on Wilkerson very quickly.

Motor = speed. Motor = tenacity. Him "bulking up" didn't effect his tenacity. He, Sheldon and Leo are easily the most non-stop motor guys on this team. Mauldin may have slowed a little by adding weight, but he didn't lose his drive. I'll take that drive any day over the lazy sh*t Revis is giving us.

I've always felt Sheldon was the better player over Wilk. It has nothing to do with "jets fans". It's my opinion. This is the type of added commentary that makes your posts dumb. You try to lump everyone together as part of this weird agenda you have to prove you have more insight than the angry horde. You're wrong. You don't. 

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

This is the kind of comment that I see from time to time.  What is it based on?

I think it fair to say in the NFL it is quite common for the CS to prefer playing vets who have a track record of production over younger players who do not.  Yeah sure younger players only get that chance if they can get on the field, but still it is the general approach and one that makes sense to me that you play the guy with the track record until, at some point, the track record turns negative.

Assessing when that turn occurs is the hard part.  No doubt some do it better than others.  But no successful CS arbitrarily sits vets just to see what a younger player can do. 

Another hard part and what you seem to be talking about is when a younger player DOES get a shot, and plays well, is that play better  than the vet you might be thinking of replacing with the younger player. 

Of course in this case you might be thinking of Lee sitting rather than Harris, so there is that.  So Lee returns from injury, the first round pick, and he sits to let Stanford play instead?

I think if Bowles does not make that move, I don't see Bowles as differnet than most NFL coaches in a situation of that sort.

It's based on the fact that our secondary has creaked awfully this year and the same people get trotted out and the coach has no stomach to do the right thing and bench the proper player.

It's based on the fact that the two games in which we were missing ShelRich or Mo wilk the front 7 looked far better and yet the moment they both are healthy enough to play they are both in there, even if playing out of position.

It's based on Bowles off handed comments that backups are backups for a reason.

It's based on the fact that most likely Bowles lobbied Mac to get him a swiss army knife hybrid LB in Lee.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

We have quietly assembled some promising young players. Just puzzling why it's so hard to get them on the field. 

That's not the strangest part. The quality players seems to be coming from late rounds or UDFA.   Apparently the scouts can unearth some talent from obscurity.   Their drafting in the first few rounds, not too good.  Leo was almost a no-brainer at #6.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 5:25 PM, Beerfish said:

It's based on the fact that our secondary has creaked awfully this year and the same people get trotted out and the coach has no stomach to do the right thing and bench the proper player.

It's based on the fact that the two games in which we were missing ShelRich or Mo wilk the front 7 looked far better and yet the moment they both are healthy enough to play they are both in there, even if playing out of position.

It's based on Bowles off handed comments that backups are backups for a reason.

It's based on the fact that most likely Bowles lobbied Mac to get him a swiss army knife hybrid LB in Lee.

Any fair minded person would acknowledge the Jets have a  problem making proper use of Wilkerson, L Williams and Richardson.  I think the data sample is too small to make a choice based o what happened in two games.

The more significant issue is the secondary, and I tend to blame that more on the roster talent than the CS.  Who is supposed to get more playing time there?  Burris?  In fact and counter to your point Burris has been getting playing time and whether it is due to Skrine being hurt is beside the point.  I am not a fan of M Williams, so maybe if Burris can play beter than him and he does not replace Williams if Skrine is healthy, then I would say yeah that would be a poor coaching decision.  But as much as I don't like Williams I am not prepared to say Burris should go above him on the depth chart.   The problem in short is a lack of talent which Revis's drop in play is a big part of.  Still Revis is probably their best corner, so him playing is not to Bowles's discredit.

I also have no problem with the comment that backups are backups for a reason.

On November 1, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Integrity28 said:

Ponder that.

That's how you reward players who play hard.  You put one on the bench and you put the other -- who happens to be a 300 pound lineman -- at linebacker.

On November 1, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Integrity28 said:

Motor = speed. Motor = tenacity. Him "bulking up" didn't effect his tenacity. He, Sheldon and Leo are easily the most non-stop motor guys on this team. Mauldin may have slowed a little by adding weight, but he didn't lose his drive. I'll take that drive any day over the lazy sh*t Revis is giving us.

I've always felt Sheldon was the better player over Wilk. It has nothing to do with "jets fans". It's my opinion. This is the type of added commentary that makes your posts dumb. You try to lump everyone together as part of this weird agenda you have to prove you have more insight than the angry horde. You're wrong. You don't. 

He is.  In fact, the Jets planned on keeping Sheldon and trading Wilkerson, but then Sheldon screwed himself.  

On November 1, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Big Blocker said:

Notwithstanding what I said in my previous post which concenrs this year, really right now with Harris back from his brief injury rest, I agree it is more likely than not Harris will be gone, or return with a different role at a different rate.

Harris is so done it's ridiculous. It's 2016. Six years ago David Harris was chased down by a then, fat over the hill TE named Alge Crumpler after Harris picked off Tom Braday in the 2010 playoff game at Gillette.

SIX YEARS AGO! Harris was slow then, can you imagine how much Harris has aged in 6 years! He wasn't a fast guy to begin with. David Harris is an old style Bill Parcells type thumper LB & is so far away from the new type of LB needed to compete in Goodells offensive NFL where you can't touch a receiver, pick plays are used constantly and most teams use the short pass as their running game.

Millions wasted on David Harris should be used to add a stud Olineman so we can run & protect our young QBs.

34 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Harris is so done it's ridiculous. It's 2016. Six years ago David Harris was chased down by a then, fat over the hill TE named Alge Crumpler after Harris picked off Tom Braday in the 2010 playoff game at Gillette.

SIX YEARS AGO! Harris was slow then, can you imagine how much Harris has aged in 6 years! He wasn't a fast guy to begin with. David Harris is an old style Bill Parcells type thumper LB & is so far away from the new type of LB needed to compete in Goodells offensive NFL where you can't touch a receiver, pick plays are used constantly and most teams use the short pass as their running game.

Millions wasted on David Harris should be used to add a stud Olineman so we can run & protect our young QBs.

Maybe if Harris would just take off those cement shoes he seems to be wearing...

Archived