Geno Surgery set for Wednesday

JetNation

Geno Smith JN

By Glenn Naughton

During press conference with the media today, Jets head coach Todd Bowles was asked if quarterback Geno Smith had undergone surgery on his torn ACL yet, at which point he said the surgery was scheduled for “next week”.

Brian Costello of the New York Post then got a more definitive answer from Smith himself, who told Costello the surgery was scheduled for Wednesday.

Smith, who suffered a torn ACL in his lone start of the season two weeks ago against the Baltimore Ravens has likely played his final snap as a New York Jet as he’s set to hit free agency at the end of this season while his rehab will still be ongoing.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

uqkVheoZhZg

Click here to read the full story...

http://www.metro.us/sports/surgeon-jets-geno-smith-faces-long-tough-road-to-recovery/zsJpjA---wwjIQUmVpSYc/

Geno Smith is out for the year, the New York Jets fourth-year quarterback done with an ACL tear suffered this past Sunday in a win over the Baltimore Ravens. But his comeback will be anything but easy.

Dr. Joshua Dines, sports medicine surgeon at Hospital for Special Surgery, tells Metro New York that Smith faces anything but an easy road back to the NFL. While the doctor hasn’t treated Smith, he is one of the nation’s premier sports medicine surgeons who is well familiar with the procedure. As such he outlines the outlook for Smith’s return.

Based on typical results, the Jets quarterback will be on crutches for at least several weeks and will also wear a brace. He will potentially be in a brace for at least six weeks and can potentially start running just a couple of months after the surgery.

“The reason why it is such a long recovery is because to reconstruct the ACL, a tendon graft from somewhere else in the knee is used,” Dr. Dines tells Metro. “The body then has to turn that tendon into a ligament. It is this biologic - or ‘ligamentization’ - process that takes time. “

Dr. Dines was listed as part of Castle Connolly’s Top Doctors in America and he has been the team doctor for the United States squad in the Davis Cup.

Calling the ACL “one of the main stabilizing ligaments in the knee,” Dr. Dines notes that unlike other surgeries, this one is particularly tricky. An ACL must be reconstructed, not just repaired.

A graft using one’s own tissues to reconstruct the ACL makes this a complicated procedure.

But given the importance of the ACL to an athlete, an easy return to the playing field isn’t easy. Same with getting back to an athlete’s previous high level of play, which could potentially take years.

“Despite the fact that most players will be back playing football by about a year after the injury, in many cases, it takes a few years before they return to their previous level of play. And, despite making it back to the NFL, their careers are typically shorter than age and position-matched controls,” Dr. Dines said. “Performance scores are usually lower after ACL reconstruction as well. In the case of Geno Smith, one thing he has going for him is that he plays QB. Quarterbacks have a slightly higher return to play rate than other football players. In one study, 12 out of 13 NFL quarterbacks returned to play in the NFL. Average career length after ACL reconstruction in this group was almost five years and their performance was very good.”

Think there's a fair chance smith will be in Miami, cheap next year.

He'll be still recovering from his knee to seriously compete for a starting job.  he'll  be cheap.  Tannehill cost's 20+ M next year.  He's sure not playing like a 20+ M QB.  Fish save 10+ by cutting him.

smith is from Miami, and has played well there.  Interesting to see what the Fish do with Tannerhill.

Would be a riot on here if Tannehill wound up as Jets QB, and smith wound up as Fish QB.  LOL

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

He'll be still recovering from his knee to seriously compete for a starting job.  he'll  be cheap.  Tannehill cost's 20+ M next year.  He's sure not playing like a 20+ M QB.  Fish save 10+ by cutting him.

smith is from Miami, and has played well there.  Interesting to see what the Fish do with Tannerhill.

Would be a riot on here if Tannehill wound up as Jets QB, and smith wound up as Fish QB.  LOL

Tannehill is not going anywhere.  Gase loves the guy and believes in him.

They have matt moore signed through next year as the backup and he is much better then geno.  He wont be a dolphin.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

“As Carrie Fisher once said in a film, everyone thinks they have good taste and a sense of humor.”  

12 minutes ago, Pac said:

I like the effort but you spend too much time fellating Sanchez for this joke to fly.

I'm actually not trying to be funny; I'm amazed that this second round bust of a quarterback and utter failure as a man continues to get Page 1 play on JN.

We don't need to hear about Geno Smith anymore.  Like Michael Vick and Tim Tebow, he can disappear now.  Like right now.  Like immediately.  Like today.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Geno will be a backup on an NFL roster somewhere next year.  It won't be with the Jets though.

He definitely will have a long road back but he will latch on somewhere. He is going to have to mature otherwise teams won't bother. He has to prove that he won't be a headache and he is willing to wait his turn.

27 minutes ago, Maxman said:

We get it you don't like Geno. Move on man.

I did move on until I saw his name again on a Page 1 thread.  I honestly thought we were done with it and the endless Summer Of Geno was finally gone for good.

SAR I

There are several common ACL replacement surgery options.  I believe this doctor must know for sure the method Geno is using when he says 

The reason why it is such a long recovery is because to reconstruct the ACL, a tendon graft from somewhere else in the knee is used,” Dr. Dines tells Metro. “The body then has to turn that tendon into a ligament. It is this biologic - or ‘ligamentization’ - process that takes time. “

A graft using one’s own tissues to reconstruct the ACL makes this a complicated procedure.

Fyi though - I went with a cadaver ligament to replace my torn ACL when I had the surgery ... I was back doing most "normal" things in 6 months ... And casual "regular guy - non professional athlete" sports leagues I was 99% back to normal by 1year later.

my doctor basically made the cadaver option sound as legitimate as the other common option I think this dr is explaining "The Patellar Tendon" option .

i would expect him to be able to be the back-up QB somewhere by this time next year  ... Certainly by the start of 2018

4 hours ago, JetNation said:

Geno Smith JN

By Glenn Naughton

During press conference with the media today, Jets head coach Todd Bowles was asked if quarterback Geno Smith had undergone surgery on his torn ACL yet, at which point he said the surgery was scheduled for “next week”.

Brian Costello of the New York Post then got a more definitive answer from Smith himself, who told Costello the surgery was scheduled for Wednesday.

Smith, who suffered a torn ACL in his lone start of the season two weeks ago against the Baltimore Ravens has likely played his final snap as a New York Jet as he’s set to hit free agency at the end of this season while his rehab will still be ongoing.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

uqkVheoZhZg

Click here to read the full story...

Geno smith will go down as the qb who saved the career of Ryan Fitzpatrick, twice.

44 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I did move on until I saw his name again on a Page 1 thread.  I honestly thought we were done with it and the endless Summer Of Geno was finally gone for good.

SAR I

The summer is over. This is a relevant topic regardless of your feelings on the topic.

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

Dump.

I mean, what's next?  Updates on the whereabouts and health of Quincy Carter?

SAR I

Thats right we should be discussing SAR I's reenactment of the Jets in Super Bowl 3 because theres so many thespians on this board and many who cant wait to show up at MetLife to watch a play and an ill fated attempt to be the laughing stock of the NFL and the world. 

This news about a Jets player who is still a Jet until his contract ends and next you never know...............

SAR I is 100% correct

Geno Smith's career as a NYJ is done

And it is among the worst career of any NYJ QB.

I wish him well somewhere someday in Canada or the AFL or maybe the Mets will sign him to join Tebow in the deepest of deep minor league BB

IMO he is not and never was an NFL caliber QB.

Go Petty or Hack. Take the ball in 2017 and make the Jets Great Again

1 hour ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

SAR I is 100% correct

Geno Smith's career as a NYJ is done

And it is among the worst career of any NYJ QB.

I wish him well somewhere someday in Canada or the AFL or maybe the Mets will sign him to join Tebow in the deepest of deep minor league BB

IMO he is not and never was an NFL caliber QB.

Go Petty or Hack. Take the ball in 2017 and make the Jets Great Again

SAR I is a Mark Sanchez fan ENOUGH said. 

Archived