Jets’ Revis Feels Disrespected

JetNation

Darrelle Revis

By Glenn Naughton

While it’s no secret to even the most casual NFL fan that the term “what have you done for me lately” applies to any and all players regardless of past achievement, it appears to be a mind-set with which Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis is unfamiliar.

After years of complete dominance at the cornerback position, Revis has come crashing down to earth, finding himself not only targeted by opposing quarterbacks, but beaten with a great deal of regularity.  As a result, the media has piled on with a slew of “Revis Island” jokes, a jab at his former nickname that he earned through years of making some of the game’s best receivers virtually disappear on Sundays.

While some scribes are having a field day with his demise, Revis appears confused as to why that is.

During an interview with the Associated Press, Revis had this to say about his skeptics:

“I think people don’t respect me enough, which is fine.  I don’t know why, though, because the numbers are there. I’ve proven myself year in and year out for a number of years, and they’re not being respectful to that.”

Clearly Revis isn’t off base in regards to his past achievements, but how honest is he being when he says the lack of respect on display is “fine” if he then refers again to the disrespect at the close of the sentence?

Revis' poor week one performance was just the beginning of his worst season as a pro.

Revis’ poor week one performance was just the beginning of his worst season as a pro.

It’s been a rough season for Revis, but not every big play has been on the cornerback as frequent breakdowns in communication were cited earlier this season by several members of the organization.  How does Revis feel about some of the big plays that aren’t solely his fault?   It seems he feels the frustration, but refuses to point fingers…literally.

“I’m burning inside, but I don’t show the fire,” he said. “I don’t need to. Any time you see me get scored on, do I point, even if it’s a blown coverage? I never bash anybody in our secondary, even if it might be somebody else’s fault. I take the heat.”

Next up for Revis and the Jets is Dolphins wide receiver Jarvis Landry who will look to join the long list of receivers to post big numbers against Revis this season.  By Sunday night we’ll know if we’re in line for more weak jabs at the cornerback, or if he’ll take a step in getting back some of the respect Revis feels he still deserves.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
NfuBuiTQ0do

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Darrelle,

Maybe if you didn't hold out at every opportunity;

show up to camp out of shape following holdout #2;

basically force a trade out of town with overblown contract demands;

then sign with the arch rival team that represents everything that is wrong and evil about sports;

help said team win another Super Bowl;

then demand yet another grossly overblown contract;

show up to camp out of shape again;

then play at a level far beneath said contract;

then expect to be treated as if it was still 2009;

then maybe you would be "respected."

Steve Smith Jr. is a good example of a player that has earned the career respect you still seem to desire.

Look in the mirror, Darrelle, perhaps you might see the difference.

Signed,

RoadFan

52 minutes ago, JetNation said:

“I’m burning inside, but I don’t show the fire,” he said. “I don’t need to. Any time you see me get scored on, do I point, even if it’s a blown coverage? I never bash anybody in our secondary, even if it might be somebody else’s fault. I take the heat.”

Hey Darrelle, you just did what you claimed you don't do. 

Revis has made it quite clear in his career that this is simply a job for him, and it's all about the money.  But hey, that's his prerogative if that's how he wants to handle it.  With that said, he should consider himself extraordinarily lucky, because in the real world if any of us were to so massively perform below our pay, we'd be unemployed in a heartbeat, and we wouldn't have any large guarantees to save our asses.

He had no concern about "respect" for others when he felt he was being underpaid, so there's no reason for anyone to worry about his feelings when he's now significantly overpaid.  Sure, he was a great player for the Jets years ago, and that will be remembered once he's retired, but in the meantime, he deservedly gets judged on current performance, and it's not good.

Here's the article in full...I saw the excerpts earlier but not all of it.

http://pro32.ap.org/clevelandbanner/article/ap-interview-revis-says-people-dont-respect-me-enough

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — Darrelle Revis feels downright disrespected.

Years of glowing praise have suddenly given way to harsh criticism. He's washed up, some fans and media say. Revis Island is a thing of the past, say others.

The Jets cornerback openly acknowledges he's no longer the dominant player he was a few years ago, when he routinely shut down opposing wide receivers. But it has been open season on Revis the last two months, with increasing questions about his abilities and work ethic.

"I think people don't respect me enough, which is fine," a candid Revis told The Associated Press on Friday. "I don't know why, though, because the numbers are there. I've proven myself year in and year out for a number of years, and they're not being respectful to that."

His past, Revis believes, should count for something in the big picture. The NFL, however, is a what-have-you-done-lately business. And, lately, Revis has given up some big plays that once seemed unthinkable.

His perceived lack of effort on a tackle last Sunday at Cleveland became a popular topic. So has his confidence, and whether age — he's 31 — and injuries have combined to sap Revis of some abilities that made him among the best at his position.

"I'm getting old and I can't control that," Revis said. "I'm not 23 or 24 years old anymore. I can still play the game at a high level, yes, but at the same time, if a team is game planning to target you 15-20 times a game, the guy is going to catch the ball a few times. That's just that. The coach understands that, and inside here, we all know that."

Others expect the same guy who would make Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne non-factors for entire games.

"I put myself in this whole situation because of how well I played in the past," Revis said. "I understand that."

Revis is a proud guy, which has driven him to being one of the best players in Jets history. His resume that will put him in Hall of Fame discussions when his career ends.

To see him go from revered to reviled so quickly has got to be a strange and uncomfortable transition.

"Some people may not like me when they have a pen in their hand, so they write what they want," he said. "That's fine. I can't control that. The only thing I can control is to continue to do my job."

Is Revis considering that he's nearing the conclusion of a terrific career?

"No," Revis said flatly. "People think or feel it may be the end, or want it to be the end. Maybe some respect comes in there, too, looking at the body of work. But they feel like maybe it is.

"For me, I'm fine, man. I can't shut somebody out for one catch for 1 yard, like I did Reggie Wayne (in the 2010 playoffs). Those days are over. That's the respect they don't give me, and it's fine because everybody has their personal opinion.

"But when you compare me to the legends, I'm right up there in the conversation. People are going to want to question everything because of the price tag, and it comes with the territory."

Revis is making $17 million this season, an easy source of criticism.

"That's where it goes into that realm of, well, let's look at the price tag and it's like, well, why is he making this much and not living up to that price tag?" Revis said. "It's like, the body of work. Sometimes, it's a player's presence on the field where people I don't think understand or get how impactful it is when they're out there on that field."

Revis recalled how Arizona quarterback Carson Palmer looked his way every time he came out of the huddle when the teams played last month.

"I still get respect from my peers and probably coaches that game plan," he said. "But I've got flaws just like everybody else."

Cleveland's Terrelle Pryor burned Revis for six catches for 101 yards, all in the first half. Revis went from playing off coverage to more press coverage in the second half, and kept Pryor quiet the rest of the way.

"Did I have a bad game? Yes, I did, and I know that," Revis said. "At the same time, did we readjust at halftime and change things up? Yeah. Again, I've done it to myself. There are stories being written about me or people saying things about, 'Hey, he's done,' or whatever you want to call it, and that's fine. But still give me my respect for what I've done in this league and what I've done to pave the way for other guys like Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman and all those guys. That's all I'm saying. But they don't even do that.

"They just want to almost erase my past, but you've got to look at the whole body of work."

Revis knows people are watching his every move, particularly when he gives up a big play. They expect to see frustration, but the cornerback refuses to give them that satisfaction.

"I'm burning inside, but I don't show the fire," he said. "I don't need to. Any time you see me get scored on, do I point, even if it's a blown coverage? I never bash anybody in our secondary, even if it might be somebody else's fault. I take the heat."

Revis credits coach Todd Bowles for helping him transition to the next stage of his career, when he has to make adjustments on the fly to make up for the missteps in games that once were as rare as a receiver making a big play against him.

"It's not going to be a one-catch, 5-yard game," Revis said. "It's just not going to be like that. It's just not happening, and I'm fine with that. I'm not fighting that. People want me to wrestle with that. That's why they comment and say anything they want, and I can't wrestle with that. I have to let that be what it was.

"Can I still make plays? Yeah, I can still make plays. But I can't force plays. Plays will come.

"And, when I make a few plays here and there, people will back off a little bit."

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Well Darrelle,

Maybe if you didn't hold out at every opportunity;

show up to camp out of shape following holdout #2;

basically force a trade out of town with overblown contract demands;

then sign with the arch rival team that represents everything that is wrong and evil about sports;

help said team win another Super Bowl;

then demand yet another grossly overblown contract;

show up to camp out of shape again;

then play at a level far beneath said contract;

then expect to be treated as if it was still 2009;

then maybe you would be "respected."

Steve Smith Jr. is a good example of a player that has earned the career respect you still seem to desire.

Look in the mirror, Darrelle, perhaps you might see the difference.

Signed,

RoadFan

When I saw the thread title, I set the o/u for who would write a post in the form of a letter to Darrelle at 3. Nicely done.

Get used to it, he's the most over payed player in the NFL. Everyone declines, it's the dogging it that I can't stand, the zero effort. It's about time this was pointed out to him Nationally. It's got to be his last year as a Jet, moving him to Saftey is fine but not at 17 mill per.

It's it's like paying your Long snapper 10 mill a year, good bye Slouch! 

This is the player Mehta was talking about.

Bye, bye Revis. If Macc doesn't cut him in the offseason, I'll have real questions about where he's taking ou Jets, that I can tell you. Eat the 6 million & get someone in here that will stick their head in there & try to force some turnovers. 

Basically Revis just said, "hey, I use to be great, I'm not anymore but it's not my fault some idiot gave me 17 million dollars because of my past reputation". Only the freaking Jets.

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

What an absolute turd.  Just a complete selfish arrogant prick.

He paved the way for Sherman and Peterson?  What does that even mean?

Can't wait for the $louch to be off the team. 

Yeah, seeing the full article made it only worse.  He was seriously citing a performance from 6 years ago about why his current play should be excused, while giving himself credit for players who are currently far superior to him.  I guess nobody else even knew that CB was position until Revis showed up?

It's also pretty damn comical for him of all people to try to dismiss the relevance of his performance compared to pay, when this is the same guy who held out twice in 3 years.  Back then it was supposed to be all about business, but in that case he's certainly not holding up his end of the deal anymore.  He's just a guy who wants all of the credit and none of the blame.  People are willing to put up with that kind of crap when you're good enough to get away it it, but he isn't anymore.

9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, seeing the full article made it only worse.  He was seriously citing a performance from 6 years ago about why his current play should be excused, while giving himself credit for players who are currently far superior to him.  I guess nobody else even knew that CB was position until Revis showed up?

It's also pretty damn comical for him of all people to try to dismiss the relevance of his performance compared to pay, when this is the same guy who held out twice in 3 years.  Back then it was supposed to be all about business, but in that case he's certainly not holding up his end of the deal anymore.  He's just a guy who wants all of the credit and none of the blame.  People are willing to put up with that kind of crap when you're good enough to get away it it, but he isn't anymore.

He actualky thinks he "paved the way" - lmfao.  What a delusion ass bag.

His entire logic is absolutely insane.  Should we resign Namath and pay him 16 million a year for 5 years because he one a Super Bowl 50 years ago and was once the best at his position? 

Respect, bro.  Respect.

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

"That's where it goes into that realm of, well, let's look at the price tag and it's like, well, why is he making this much and not living up to that price tag?" Revis said. "It's like, the body of work. Sometimes, it's a player's presence on the field where people I don't think understand or get how impactful it is when they're out there on that field."

This guy disgusts me.

He can't prove critics wrong on the field, so he's fighting his battle through the media, which is the act of a coward. This interview should have had one response from Revis, "I'm trying my hardest to get back to the level of play I, and others, expect from me."

That's it. 

None of this nonsensical millenial whining bullsh*t. "The body of work." isn't why you are getting paid $17 mil this year, you're getting paid that  much because you and your agents made a pitch that you'd be playing at the highest level possible for a top-5 defensive player in the NFL in 2016. You aren't. An honest man acknowledges that for the first time in his career, he's not playing up to the level of his contract. It's okay to do. I've had points in my career where my employer is asking me to do mid-level work, and I've happily done it to support our overall objectives, but then when the time is appropriate I've pulled them aside and told them flat out they aren't using me to my fullest capabilities, and I'm not earning my salary. My personal anecdote isn't about diminishing skills, but it is about owning up to your role and the optic and contractual expectations attached to it.

His whole line of posturing about how other players still respect him, which justifies paying for his "presence on the field" is a ******* joke, and he contradicts it entirely talking about how QBs come out of the huddle looking for him, and the game-plans target him 15-20 times a game. When that's the case, then your "presence on the field" represents the lynchpin to how our opponent was planning on exploiting you. It doesn't represent any form of advantage based on how you played in 2009. To suggest so is Rex-level bullsh*t.

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Bye, bye Revis. If Macc doesn't cut him in the offseason, I'll have real questions about where he's taking ou Jets, that I can tell you. Eat the 6 million & get someone in here that will stick their head in there & try to force some turnovers. 

Basically Revis just said, "hey, I use to be great, I'm not anymore but it's not my fault some idiot gave me 17 million dollars because of my past reputation". Only the freaking Jets.

I think Bowles is a bigger part of the problem, when it comes to over-extending the leash on the worthless veterans on this squad. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Revis is the new hate magnet now that Geno Smith is gone. Who's next? 

Before you build up a big head of steam around this stupid narrative, remember, Revis was on the end of this type of criticism every time he held out with us, when he played poorly for the Pats, and when he returned to NY (for some people). This isn't new.

Revis criticism is also targeted towards Revis.

Geno criticism was mostly targeted towards the morons that blazed the trail of unconscionable stupidity on his behalf. 

Brutal. I cannot see him as a NYJ next season. Better a year early for the cut. HOF career, no doubt. One season too many in NY though. Speed will win in most sports. No effort to stop the opposition, to support your team mates in the run game is atrocious.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Before you build up a big head of steam around this stupid narrative, remember, Revis was on the end of this type of criticism every time he held out with us, when he played poorly for the Pats, and when he returned to NY (for some people). This isn't new.

Revis criticism is also targeted towards Revis.

Geno criticism was mostly targeted towards the morons that blazed the trail of unconscionable stupidity on his behalf. 

This

7 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Brutal. I cannot see him as a NYJ next season. Better a year early for the cut. HOF career, no doubt. One season too many in NY though. Speed will win in most sports. No effort to stop the opposition, to support your team mates in the run game is atrocious.

Guys who I won't mind not seeing in green and white next year:

• Fitzpatrick
  • Geno
  • Revis
  • David Harris
  • Every TE on this roster
  • Breno 
  • Kacy Rodgers

40 minutes ago, faba said:

Revis if he was smart would just say he has to play better- but that is expecting too much from a guy that has held out for bigger paydays and has a inflated opinion of his current stature

really, someone needs to pry the shovel away from revis before he digs this hole any deeper.  $17M because of the whole body of work?  Paved the way for Peterson/Sherman? Those guys arent helped by you.  they earned their own respect while you are losing respect at an incredible rate...

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Guys who I won't mind not seeing in green and white next year:

• Fitzpatrick
  • Geno
  • Revis
  • David Harris
  • Every TE on this roster
  • Breno 
  • Kacy Rodgers

Lol. I can dig it bro. I think Geno may have a case to stay though. A young, experienced back up who knows the system of Chan G. He may also come back at a cost reasonable to the Jets. The injury may hinder his market value. He may not even be ready by training camp. 

The Jets should have Petty/Hack go for it as the starter. 

RB, OL and CB are very high priorities in the draft. FA looks should come at ILB and DE

Rodgers is done here too. May have been betrayed by Revis' play and the secondary overall. 

2 hours ago, faba said:

Revis if he was smart would just say he has to play better- but that is expecting too much from a guy that has held out for bigger paydays and has a inflated opinion of his current stature

Good post. Say what you want about Fitz, at least he was man enough to admit he's stunk this year.

51 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Lol. I can dig it bro. I think Geno may have a case to stay though. A young, experienced back up who knows the system of Chan G. He may also come back at a cost reasonable to the Jets. The injury may hinder his market value. He may not even be ready by training camp. 

The Jets should have Petty/Hack go for it as the starter. 

RB, OL and CB are very high priorities in the draft. FA looks should come at ILB and DE

Rodgers is done here too. May have been betrayed by Revis' play and the secondary overall. 

Geno's contract ends this year. You want to bring him back at the cost of a QB's second salary? I'm sure he'll sign elsewhere just because he's got that mindset of blaming the Jets for him not being a success here. 

37 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Geno's contract ends this year. You want to bring him back at the cost of a QB's second salary? I'm sure he'll sign elsewhere just because he's got that mindset of blaming the Jets for him not being a success here. 

To me he is a low cost option. He knows the system. His contract should not be that much for the Jets due to the injury and performance statistics. Regardless of whom is to blame. Geno will not be the starter as he may not be ready for TC. Why sign another vet back up QB? He will not know the system and may cost more. 

The Jets owe Revis AND Fitz next year. Those payments have to be made up in savings for lower cost alternatives elsewhere. The GM has to produce a TEAM. That is different than the collection of players we currently have. Starting 4 DT's with a 3/4 LB'ing corps is just dumb. Drafting the BPA is a great thing if the player fits within the scheme.

Fitz is NOT an option. Not even as a back up IMO. He may have heart and smarts but his arm and age  makes too much of a deficit to overcome.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Good post. Say what you want about Fitz, at least he was man enough to admit he's stunk this year.

After he took the $12MM though. He retired last season. That holdout made a huge statement IMO. A loss tomorrow to the Dolphins should end his NYJ career.

Archived